Full Movie Trailer Online

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Full Movie Trailer Online

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 am

http://dbthemovie.com/2008/12/10/full-t ... ow-online/

I'm so tired I'm sorry if this is posted.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:59 am

So..... I guess having god create the Dragon Balls would have caused too much controversy.

But no point dwelling.

I'm still down about Chatwin's portrayal of Goku... what we've seen anyway. There's basically zero inocence and playfullness so far.

But it looks like it will be a fun movie, that could be enjoyable if taken in stride.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:01 am

JAPPO wrote:http://dbthemovie.com/2008/12/10/full-t ... ow-online/

I just fainted sorry if already posted.
So, some good, some bad.

I think we've seen enough of Chatwin's Goku now, and I have to say, I don't think I like him too much so far. Really, the "I'm not ready for this" doesn't particularly phase me.

Rather, it's the scene where the "capsule" machine expands outward, and Chatwin's Goku says a cold and disinterested "cool."

I mean, no interest? At all?

I mean, it's....Goku. And likely the first time he saw an expanding "capsule" machine. It's...not right, for him to have that kind of attitude. Ever, realy.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:04 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I mean, it's....Goku. And likely the first time he saw an expanding "capsule" machine. It's...not right, for him to have that kind of attitude. Ever, realy.
Seconded. That was like a slap in the face if I've ever felt one.

But I'm way too tired to try to piece together an appropriate opinion. Though, my girlfriend's a DB fan as well and just watched the trailer over my shoulder, I'll just quote her.
"It looks like a good movie, just not a good Dragonball movie."

Thank you and goodnight.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 am

"It looks like a good movie, just not a good Dragonball movie."

Thank you and goodnight.
Yep, exactly.

Plus, Marsters seems like he will make a good Piccolo.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 am

1) I think that instead of "Evolution" the movie's subtitle should've been "Filler" because that's what this whole "seven mystics created the Dragonballs" thing feels like.

2) "I'm not ready for this." Geez...

3) Piccolo is an ultra-badass. They did really well with him. And he's green, too!

4) Glad they made use of capsules, but I would've preferred the classic "POOF!" kind of thing.

5) Why is Goku being all nonchalant and such? Even at the worst points in the FUNi dub Goku still had a wide vocal range and expressed a lot of Goku's signature personality quirks. I know it isn't much to go off of, but this is the freakin' trailer! Is this how Goku is during the whole movie? If not, represent him a bit more truthfully!

6) One-handed Kamehameha? Not a big deal to me, but what's wrong with the way it's always been done?

7) Gohan, at the end, is also badass.

8) I haven't seen anything yet in-motion that gives me the feeling that this poster gave me. Show me more of this and I'll change my tune without hesitation.

EDIT: My mistake. Goku training with Gohan was all bright and colorful like that poster. I like it. I want more of it.

9) I wonder if the bo is the Noyibo or if it's just a nod to the Noyibo...
Last edited by Kendamu on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 am

1) I think that instead of "Evolution" the movie's subtitle should've been "Filler" because that's what this whole "seven mystics created the Dragonballs" thing feels like.
It was asking a little much for an American movie to claim they were created by god, I guess.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
It was asking a little much for an American movie to claim they were created by god, I guess.
No, it's just that they didn't go the whole Kami/Piccolo deal, or having to explain so much just to change it all in the next film. Compacting and shifting roles on the Namekian side of things is fine by me. If they WANTED, they could have easily made a Kami that was, as per the Funimation tradition, a "Guardian of the Earth".

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Roshi speaks of "Gods from the sky" right at the beginning of the trailer. One of those "Gods" could've easily made the Dragonballs. But, I'm not even asking for that. It could've easily been "one mystic, also from the sky" or something to that effect. Just make it one green guy who is really important and connected to Piccolo, God or not, and that would've been close enough for me.

I'm not nerd raging over the "seven mystics" or anything. I just wished that it would've been a little closer to the source material.
(they/she)

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:21 am

That was pretty sweet, I'm sure it'll be a damn fine movie, I don't really care about how accurate it will be to DB anymore(except the lack of Krillin, that felt really off, although they could just introduce him in a possible sequel hopefully, that'd make things a little better), it's not like that this is the first film based on a comic series that didn't follow much things properly and such, just because it's a live action adaption of DB doesn't mean it should get any special treatment either.

I expect it to be a good film overall and opening a new path of seeing Dragonball in in a live action form plus gaining new fans who end up looking into the original source and learning how it all began.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 am

So the seven mystics turn out to be Namekians or something. Whatever. The trailer looked pretty neat. I honestly don't think a direct portreyal of Goku's character would work in a live action film. It would be like Steve Carell kung fu fighting. I think Bulma's characterization surprised me more than anything. I haven't been following the updates for the flick much because I don't like spoilers, but all in all I was pleased.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:So the seven mystics turn out to be Namekians or something. Whatever. The trailer looked pretty neat. I honestly don't think a direct portreyal of Goku's character would work in a live action film. It would be like Steve Carell kung fu fighting. I think Bulma's characterization surprised me more than anything. I haven't been following the updates for the flick much because I don't like spoilers, but all in all I was pleased.
If happy-go-lucky people who can fight and are focused on food don't translate onto screen well, then Michelangelo should've been re-characterized as an ultra-badass Batman-like figure of fear and myth in the first Turtles movie. Instead, they left him in-tact and he was freakin' amazing.

Goku should be able to be confident, happy, and hungry as well.
(they/she)

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 am

Wow... this actually looks like it might be somewhat enjoyable; however, it does not make me think of Dragon Ball at all. It only remotely resembles it. I might go see it for shits and giggles.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 am

I'm not looking forward to this movie but I am interested in it. I want to see the full trailer but I'm stuck at school at the moment *sigh*. It's too bad that Chatwin's phrase " I'm not ready for this" is apparantly still in this trailer. It gives a really bad impression of movie!Goku's personality.

Anyway, I'm downloading it to my PSP right now so I'll see it during my break hopefully.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:38 am

Kendamu wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:So the seven mystics turn out to be Namekians or something. Whatever. The trailer looked pretty neat. I honestly don't think a direct portreyal of Goku's character would work in a live action film. It would be like Steve Carell kung fu fighting. I think Bulma's characterization surprised me more than anything. I haven't been following the updates for the flick much because I don't like spoilers, but all in all I was pleased.
If happy-go-lucky people who can fight and are focused on food don't translate onto screen well, then Michelangelo should've been re-characterized as an ultra-badass Batman-like figure of fear and myth in the first Turtles movie. Instead, they left him in-tact and he was freakin' amazing.

Ninja Turtles movie sucked.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 am

JAPPO wrote: Ninja Turtles movie sucked.
The 1990 one? Get fucked. It was one of the more entertaining comic book movies ever made.

It was entertaining and even kept that dark feel that the original comics had, but was lighthearted enough for a mass audience.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:47 am

I think it's one of those things you either love or think is retarded.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 am

I was really excited to see a capsule in that trailer, then Goku's reaction brought me back down to earth; they clearly don't understand who Goku is, they seem more interested in making him a jaded uninterested teenager that grows up into a superhero.

As for the backstory about the Dragonballs, it seems like they have re-written the entire premise, instead of providing a wish, they stop the Earth from being destroyed?

Lame.

Now I'm only interested in seeing James Marsters' Piccolo, I'll be honest and say that the rest of this movie looks fucking awful.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 am

JAPPO wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

Glad to hear it. I love the 1990 one. I'm sorry to hear that you hate it, though, because it actually was based off of a lot of the key elements and moments from the old B&W comics of the early-to-mid '80s with just the slightest hint of the cartoon version thrown into the mix as to not completely alienate the children who only knew the Turtles from the 1987 cartoon.

In my opinion, Ninja Turtles is a great example of a comic/cartoon adaption done very faithfully while at the same time introducing new elements or reinventing old ones to give you something new that makes fans of all forms of the Turtles very happy.

That's what I wanted to see in a Dragonball movie, but that's not what I'm really getting. As much as I like a few little things here and there about the new Dragonball movie, it still hasn't convinced me to go see it.

If you knew more about the TMNT and how the first movie connects so well to both the comic and animated versions simultaneously, I think I would more easily be able to describe how I feel about the Dragonball movie coming out in a way you could more easily understand.
(they/she)

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:56 am

I'm guessing Goku, Roshi, and the general plot etc are so dark because lighthearted, uplifting characters don't really sell these days right? (Dark Knight vs Superman Returns)