Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 pm

What type of stuff do you guys think will be cut (just filler, other miscellaneous stuff, etc.)?

I'm trying to figure out what the episode breakdown will be like. The original run didn't even finish the Freeza Saga at episode 100, and this one will have Buu (presumably) wrapped up in that time. I would assume that the Saiyan Saga is probably about 20 episodes, Namek and Freeza about 30, Cell about 25, and Buu about 25. Namek was pretty long, though Cell had more material, so it could go either way.

You know, this gives Funimation a chance to totally redeem themselves. A nice concise DBZ with 100 episodes can be accurately dubbed, they already have been using the original music (now they probably wouldn't pay Menza or whoever for more "American" music), and the voices can be consistent and well-done straight through ala GT and Seasons 1-2. This also gives Funimation one more chance to destroy another DBZ-related product, so hopefully that won't be the case.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 pm

xzero wrote:You know, this gives Funimation a chance to totally redeem themselves. A nice concise DBZ with 100 episodes can be accurately dubbed, they already have been using the original music (now they probably wouldn't pay Menza or whoever for more "American" music), and the voices can be consistent and well-done straight through ala GT and Seasons 1-2. This also gives Funimation one more chance to destroy another DBZ-related product, so hopefully that won't be the case.
I'd hope they'd bring back the Ocean Group, just to throw fans of the original dub a bone. Not likely to happen though. :?

Stridex
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Stridex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 pm

TWO THINGS:

1) This is how Toei can protect the franchise from the live action film. It's a brilliant move that doesn't insult the feature's negative buzz (don't blame me, Google it, people), but elevates the source materials. Amazing business savvy.

2) 100 episodes could very easily contain all of the series canon. For kicks I played around with re-editing the Cell era into a managable canon format, removing all filler-- any line, extended fighting, etc. that didn't have a strong basis in the manga. From everyone gathering because they felt Freeza's ki to Goku going down from his heart problems, I was at just over an hour of footage. And that hour made perfect sense with the removals as well... and was a lot more fun to watch.

There really is that much filler.
"The emptier one's head is, the more room there is to pack in dreams..."

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
SweetCosmicPope wrote:Everyone else seems quite excited, but I'm honestly quite miffed.

Maybe not quite miffed, in that I just have mixed feelings. I love the idea of anything new, relating to Dragonball. It keeps the show fresh in people's minds, and makes the chances of us getting even more new stuff much more likely. And I'm certainly interested to see it.

However, they're messing with a good thing. They are essentially doing the same thing that Funi did, except that since they are the original animators, we're giving them not only slack, but encouragement and excitement.

EDIT: I mean, would we encourage Leonardo DaVinci to alter "The Last Supper?"

I'm just not so sure. It seems they should either:
A) Leave well-enough alone, and just make a new series.
B) Make a new full-length movie.
C) "Reimagine" the series, or make an alternate universe series.

Any of those would have me much more excited. However, any news is good news, when it's related to Dragonball, right?
I agree with you sentiments, Funimation does something new and different with the show everyone wants to tar and feather everyone who works there and burn the offices to the ground. Yet, if Toei goes and jacks with the show everyone is excited, overjoyed and blast off in their collective pants.
If Toei had decided to randomly give DBZ the OMGHARDCORE WIDESCREEEEEN treatment, while FUNimation had created their own "fillerless" version of the show, it would have been the other way around. It has nothing to do with the company, but what the company is doing with the show. If you think otherwise, you're being silly.

Also, what's with people defending FUNimation as if it were a person? FUNimation is a company made up of a number of people that want your money, not a person that is going to cry if someone criticizes his work.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:I cannot see how they are going to accomplish this without doing away with some classic material and that includes some filler.
If all goes well, it will be only filler that gets axed. And that's a good thing! God, the pacing of the show will be so much better if they do that.
Yeah but all filler is not bad filler and I suspect that they will do away with what some call “canon material”. Funimation has as much right to jack around with the show because Toriyama and Toei sold them the rights. I would get upset with them if they would re-bastardized what I call the original American version of the show just as I am about the original Japanese.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 pm

I imagine filler, to be sure.

Other than that? Lots and lots of fat-trimming. Pointless conversations and statements. I'm sure the story will be condensed a bit, as well, which is another reason, I suspect, that they're bringing in the VAs. That way they can change phrases and what-not, to fit the new condensed version of the storyline.

I'm sure there will be a ton of episode splicing (ala seasons 1 and 2 of the Funi/Ocean dub).
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:37 pm

I wonder if some new music may be added....

I think that's an area that could be improved upon for certain scenes, such as Goku's first transformation.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Stridex wrote:1) This is how Toei can protect the franchise from the live action film. It's a brilliant move that doesn't insult the feature's negative buzz (don't blame me, Google it, people), but elevates the source materials. Amazing business savvy.
Yep, I called it back when the live action movie was announced. The best thing that could happen to the show would be a horrible American movie, as it would motivate Toei to answer with either a new show, new movie, or a redone series. I like to call it the GINO (Godzilla in Name Only) effect, as Toho did the exact same thing after Godzilla came out in America by bringing back the real Godzilla in Godzilla 2000.

Now I thought the OVA from last year was Toei's answer; sort of a preemptive strike before the movie hit. But now I see that was just a warning shot. This is their coup de grace to the live action film.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:40 pm

not relate to live-action movie, but according to Shonen Jump next
issue, Dragon Ball Z HD remaster and recut edition will start from
April 5th a.m. 9:00

voice actors is same, opening and ending theme songs are new.

it is rumoured it will be about 100 episeode (original DBZ is 291 episode)

http://i40.tinypic.com/211p7kj.jpg

EDIT: I guess this is old.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:41 pm

So we're getting a halfway entertaining live-action movie, Dragon Ball online, a redoing of the series and the Kame-sennin tissue holder all in the next year or so?

It's a good time to be a fan. :wink:
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:So we're getting a halfway entertaining live-action movie, Dragon Ball online, a redoing of the series and the Kame-sennin tissue holder all in the next year or so?

Don't forget the Kame House Piggy Bank! :D

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm

snaku wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:So we're getting a halfway entertaining live-action movie, Dragon Ball online, a redoing of the series and the Kame-sennin tissue holder all in the next year or so?

Don't forget the Kame House Piggy Bank! :D
Oh yeah, I plan to get that aswell!

I could use a coin bank. Ironically to help keep me from spending money on stuff like that. :wink:

By the way, how do you embed links in the words like that? :oops:
Last edited by Kingdom Heartless on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I wonder if some new music may be added....

I think that's an area that could be improved upon for certain scenes, such as Goku's first transformation.
It would be sad if they done this. It would take a lot away from the magic of the original show (which, most of, is the awesome soundtrack). Maybe they could do some remixes? Similarly to what Capcom did for Street Fighter 4.

Then again, Toei kept the original music for the special, so I don't see why they won't with this.

Anyways, it will be sad to see some filler go. I'll probably miss the Dodoria chasing Kuririn and Gohan episode.. That filler was pretty intense, despite the fact I knew Kuririn would just Taiyoken them out of there.

I also quite enjoyed the short SSJ3 Goku vs. (Gotenks)Super Buu filler fight.
Last edited by Xell on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Maybe 100 episodes is just a guess, if they haven't started editing yet.
Well, the post (which might still be bogus) says "around 100 episodes".
And yeah, I guess it's possible they just don't know yet. I mean, you'd need to have some idea, if only for the TV schedule... But the exact number? Several years before the end of the series?

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:It seems like they're using the original animation, so it seems like some sort of streamlining without having to do too much actual work(as in less than making a whole new series!).
Plus, I would imagine remastering a series like that is costly and time-consuming...
For all we know, that may very well be the main reason behind the re-editing: less episodes -> less work.
'Would be "funny" if they ended up keeping a lot of the filler and getting rid of some stuff that's manga-based simply because the former was in a better shape than the latter. :þ

SweetCosmicPope wrote:Everyone else seems quite excited, but I'm honestly quite miffed.

Maybe not quite miffed, in that I just have mixed feelings. I love the idea of anything new, relating to Dragonball. It keeps the show fresh in people's minds, and makes the chances of us getting even more new stuff much more likely. And I'm certainly interested to see it.

However, they're messing with a good thing.
The main reason I'm... not "excited", but "intrigued" is precisely that I don't think the anime series was a "good thing". The pacing was all over the place, and yeah, I could really do without the filler.
Now, I'd just like to see if there's actually a way to "fix" that simply by re-editing episodes... I can't say I'm all that confident, right now. Hence "intrigued".
I mean, would we encourage Leonardo DaVinci to alter "The Last Supper?"
Would I call Dragon Ball Z a masterpiece though? ^^;
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm

So once again we have to start off with Raditz and his bullshit. It's pretty cool that they're doing this but I wish they would come out with some new and original stuff too. Can't wait to see how it all turns out though. :D
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:52 pm

I don't want them to discard the old music and not use it at all.

I just feel that some scenes are important enough to warrant their own song, like they did with Gohan's SSJ2 tranformation, which is completely awesome.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Why not start with Dragonball?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Oh well, we'll have the old series to hold onto anyway, this'll be interesting...

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 pm

Raki wrote:Why not start with Dragonball?
Maybe if this goes well enough, we'll see that get done.

I want to see my favourite saga, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai done!.... although not a whole lot of that is filler.... I'd just like to see the HD redoing or whatever.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:00 pm

So if that "almost 100 episodes" thing is to be believed, then each of the four main story arcs should have about 25 episodes dedicated to them. That's not too bad at all. Besides, the Saiyan Invasion arc isn't that long, really, so it could easily be less than 25 at that. I'm sure 100+ episodes is plenty to retell the story properly.

I'm pretty excited for this; I'm just really scared FUNi isn't going to license it. I mean, as far as the general American public is concerned, they already did this with the season sets. FUNi's buildup on their own "HD" crap has severely damaged the chances of this being licensed, especially if nothing is technically being reanimated.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Stridex
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Stridex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm

MagicBox wrote: I'm just really scared FUNi isn't going to license it. I mean, as far as the general American public is concerned, they already did this with the season sets. FUNi's buildup on their own "HD" crap has severely damaged the chances of this being licensed, especially if nothing is technically being reanimated.
This is a way to make money.

FUNi likes money.
"The emptier one's head is, the more room there is to pack in dreams..."