Did FUNimation Digitally Remaster DBZ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Did FUNimation Digitally Remaster DBZ?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:58 am

I always wonderd why the American version of DBZ was clearer then the Japanese broadcast. I seen both on TV, I had a Japanese station where DBZ was played every Saturday night. So , did FUNimation actually digitally remaster it?

Also, American DBGT seem's to be the same quality as the Japanese boradcast, wich is where it looks like a high quality MPEG or somthing. Its pretty crappy quality for a TV show. Did anyone else notice this or is it just me and my crazy ways. :?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:52 am

FUNimation ran the digital stream through a sharpening filter and adjusted the color saturation, otherwise DBZ is untouched (including instances of Cel damage that appear every so often).

Personally, I don't like the changes. They're not that horrible, but when I watch the Dragon Boxes and compare them to the 2 FUNi DVDs I still have (one of which is from the Majin Buu arc)...I just prefer Toei's set hands down. And stills don't do it justice, you have to see both in unadulterated motion (ask Mike, I don't know if FUNi did the same thing with the DB sets, but if they did I sent him the original VOBs for the openings and closings, and he should be able to speak for the difference between the two).

-Corey

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:41 am

It's true; still images really can't do things justice. Plus, we can all go back and forth on what we think looks better, and it just wouldn't get anywhere.

As for what FUNimation did, Corey summed it up pretty well. It's nothing all that difficult to do (I mean, I can clean up footage pretty damn well on a Win98 machine, so I know what can be done on some actual video hardware)...

It's just one giant round-about discussion that ends nowhere ^^;; I don't even know where this reply of mine is heading, so "let's end this call, and end this conversation"... (OMGBANDREFERENCE) ^_~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:30 pm

They breifly mention the process on the DBGT preview on the Fruits Basket promo disc.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:42 pm

The Star Wars Trilogy was digitally remastered.
Evangelion was digitally remastered as well. (I'd do comp shots, but I don't feel like it, sorry...)

DBZ? No way. If you disagree, please tell me why there are still cigar burns and dust/scratches on the video.... :roll:

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:03 pm

it was digitally remastered just not to the same degree as your reffrences.
-Laserkid