How Many Characters is Reasonable for a Fighting Game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:36 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote: :? Yeah...who the fuck wants to place as The Tenkaichi Budokai announcer anyway?
I totally want to do that now :shock:

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am

Announcer vs..... ..Cell!!!!!

(shows Cell ring)

Announcer: If you want a job done right... you have to do it yourself.

Cell: The show starts now.

:D
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote: :? Yeah...who the fuck wants to place as The Tenkaichi Budokai announcer anyway?
That's the amazing thing about the Dragonball series is that you can have 100 playable characters in the game and they can all be fighters in the show. How about the spice boys in the game? :)
Chaos Saiyajin wrote: 100+ characters would mean we get only 3 parts in a story mode, and since I like the story mode, that'd be some shit! :evil:
Yes, but say for example the game had over 100 fights in the story mode AND 100 playable characters? Now that'd be good.
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 am

gohan2k wrote:
That's the amazing thing about the Dragonball series is that you can have 100 playable characters in the game and they can all be fighters in the show. How about the spice boys in the game? :)
Chaos Saiyajin wrote: 100+ characters would mean we get only 3 parts in a story mode, and since I like the story mode, that'd be some shit! :evil:
Yes, but say for example the game had over 100 fights in the story mode AND 100 playable characters? Now that'd be good.
:P Yea, that'd be cool. The first fight: Gohan v. Saber-toothed Tiger! :lol:

Can't you guys just see Luffy walking up against Majin Buu?

Luffy: Mmm...are you some kind of taffy?

Majin Buu: Eh? I suppose. *eats himself*

Luffy: NOOO!!!

:lol:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Luffy only really cares for meat. He almost ate Chopper when they first met.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 pm

It is sadly evident that when you compare a DBZ fighting roster to a SF2 / MK (DA and Deception) / Guilty Gear roster, you can see the incredible diversity in gameplay.
Well, at least Mortal Kombat Armageddon's going to have a fuckload of characters - almost comparable to Sparking!'s list!

But to the point, I'd like a DBZ fighting game that focused not only on the stars (Gokuu, Piccolo, Vegeta, Cell, et cetera), but also had some of the more obscure characters (Arale-chan, Cold Daiou, Tsuru-sennin, Metallic Gunsou, and the such). Shit, you know how fun it would be to play as Purple? Tatami mat shields, hiding in the water with a reed, walking on water with his Jesus Shoes, clone attack... plus the standard ninja weapons like caltrops, shuriken, kunai... it'd be almost like playing Uzumaki Naruto in a DBZ game!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:29 am

The S wrote: But to the point, I'd like a DBZ fighting game that focused not only on the stars (Gokuu, Piccolo, Vegeta, Cell, et cetera), but also had some of the more obscure characters (Arale-chan, Cold Daiou, Tsuru-sennin, Metallic Gunsou, and the such). Shit, you know how fun it would be to play as Purple? Tatami mat shields, hiding in the water with a reed, walking on water with his Jesus Shoes, clone attack... plus the standard ninja weapons like caltrops, shuriken, kunai... it'd be almost like playing Uzumaki Naruto in a DBZ game!
Damn, I totally forgot about King Cold. That would be the shit right there!
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 pm

The S wrote:
It is sadly evident that when you compare a DBZ fighting roster to a SF2 / MK (DA and Deception) / Guilty Gear roster, you can see the incredible diversity in gameplay.
Well, at least Mortal Kombat Armageddon's going to have a fuckload of characters - almost comparable to Sparking!'s list!

But to the point, I'd like a DBZ fighting game that focused not only on the stars (Gokuu, Piccolo, Vegeta, Cell, et cetera), but also had some of the more obscure characters (Arale-chan, Cold Daiou, Tsuru-sennin, Metallic Gunsou, and the such). Shit, you know how fun it would be to play as Purple? Tatami mat shields, hiding in the water with a reed, walking on water with his Jesus Shoes, clone attack... plus the standard ninja weapons like caltrops, shuriken, kunai... it'd be almost like playing Uzumaki Naruto in a DBZ game!
:lol: Jesus shoes? :lol: You know who else we'd need? Pilaf! :twisted:

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:33 am

Yeah, maybe he could fight in one of his robots! :lol:

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:52 am

^Pilaf was playable in his robot in Dragon Ball Advance Adventure ^_~ Pretty fun, jumping around on people and using his arm to toss enemies around ^_~ (Sho's robot is better though, being able to use a flamethrower :P)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:34 am

Ash wrote:^Pilaf was playable in his robot in Dragon Ball Advance Adventure ^_~ Pretty fun, jumping around on people and using his arm to toss enemies around ^_~ (Sho's robot is better though, being able to use a flamethrower :P)
Haha, Advance Adventure is THE source for playing as obscure characters. Who wouldn't wanna kick ass as Oolong? Or the Bear Thief? :lol:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:36 pm

Leotaku wrote:
Ash wrote:^Pilaf was playable in his robot in Dragon Ball Advance Adventure ^_~ Pretty fun, jumping around on people and using his arm to toss enemies around ^_~ (Sho's robot is better though, being able to use a flamethrower :P)
Haha, Advance Adventure is THE source for playing as obscure characters. Who wouldn't wanna kick ass as Oolong? Or the Bear Thief? :lol:
:shock: Damn you to hell, Atari. QUIT PUSHING AA BACK IN THE USA!!! :x :lol:

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 pm

Yeah, Advance(d) Adventure is great for those obscure characters. Not to toot my own horn, but check the list of all the freakin' characters here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Bal ... _Adventure !

But this topic is about Vs. Fighters, so AA doesn't count on that account (woah, that sounded a bit redundant)[/url]
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 pm

The S wrote:Yeah, Advance(d) Adventure is great for those obscure characters. Not to toot my own horn, but check the list of all the freakin' characters here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Bal ... _Adventure !

But this topic is about Vs. Fighters, so AA doesn't count on that account (woah, that sounded a bit redundant)[/url]
:shock: I...can't...WAIT! :D I'm gonna enjoy kickin' ass with the Bear Thief...oh yeah! :P

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:37 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
The S wrote:Yeah, Advance(d) Adventure is great for those obscure characters. Not to toot my own horn, but check the list of all the freakin' characters here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Bal ... _Adventure !

:shock: I...can't...WAIT! :D I'm gonna enjoy kickin' ass with the Bear Thief...oh yeah! :P
Bear Bandit vs Cyborg Tao Pai Pai! :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:22 pm

Sparking's roster is almost perfect IMO. Could use a few tweaks here or there, but it's great nonetheless. Every one of the fighters that participated in the significant fights (Ginyu Force included), plus all their transformations. No ridiculous choices like Bulma or Chichi that the fans seem strangely fond of. A few of the hard-hitters from the movies, but not too much, and even add a couple of DB ones for more light-hearted action (Roshi should be in every DBZ game EVER), but only a couple - a full DB roster belongs in a DB game. 100~ characters would be seriously overdoing it, you can clearly see that Spike had problems with giving individuality to their fighters (as evidenced by repetetive special attacks). It's a friggen miracle they managed to give everyone different stances and normal attacks in such a short period of time.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:40 pm

Well,Chichi doesn't seem THAT farfetched, she, if anything is skilled enough to work her way into the Budokai public fights.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Well,Chichi doesn't seem THAT farfetched, she, if anything is skilled enough to work her way into the Budokai public fights.
:P Check out the 'Android 17 in Chou DBZ' thread. You'll get a kick outta who's in Chou DBZ... :P

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:31 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Well,Chichi doesn't seem THAT farfetched, she, if anything is skilled enough to work her way into the Budokai public fights.
Maybe, but so what? Come on, in the manga, she participated in one siginificant fight... her role consisted of her falling on her ass... and it wasn't even in DBZ! The friggen guy who destroyed Bulma's ship on Namek fought more, and he doesn't even have a name for chrissakes!
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 am

They may not be realistic, as fighters, but some people just wanna see certain characters for fun, and maybe for variety (there's a serious lack of female characters to use in the games) or to see something different.

Who cares if it's realistic? It's a video game, based on a completely unrealistic fictional story. If the games took into account realism of the fights that could be made with the characters available, Mr. Satan would be dead. :P