Episode #0120 (16 March 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0120 (16 March 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Episode #0120 (download MP3)
52:44; 64 kbps, mono; 24.1 MB

Episode #0120! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian bring on Desire Campbell to discuss the recent "DragonBall AF" web-comic/doujinshi. No, this doesn't mean that "DragonBall AF" is a real series that's somehow been covered up by an amazing conspiracy; rather, a Japanese fan has put together a new series taking elements of the rumors over the years, which is now being translated into English for your enjoyment. DBZ ABCs, some releases, and a batch of amazing e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Correction on the timeline of the doujinshi, the first posting about it here was in November of 2006, not last year - and I've been doing pages since April of 2007.

A fucking year. Holy shit.

Also, my girlfriend is pretty sure I'm a rockstar now.

-edit-
Found that page with the explanation of tracing.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/archives/50808433.html
Last edited by desirecampbell on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Sounds like an awesome episode.

*downloads*

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:26 pm

I have a small theory about the email about Cell, and #17, and Gohan. If you--general you--will remember, when Cell came back after blowing himself up, he was completely perfect and not just semi-perfect, like he had been before blowing himself up.

If Cell can become perfect without having #18 inside him, could he not also become perfect without having #17 inside him? In other words, is it not theoretically possible for him to have killed the part of him that was #17 when he blew himself up? After all, if a punch was enough to kick out #18, an explosion powerful enough to kill Goku might be enough to kick out, and instantly incinerate, #17.

(Of course, if Cell actually says that he's still got #17 in him, then there goes that theory.)

Edit: Wrote the wrong character's name in there, originally.
Last edited by Sedorna on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Sedorna wrote:I have a small theory about the email about Cell, and #17, and Gohan. If you--general you--will remember, when #17 came back after blowing himself up, he was completely perfect and not just semi-perfect, like he had been before blowing himself up.

If Cell can become perfect without having #18 inside him, could he not also become perfect without having #17 inside him? In other words, is it not theoretically possible for him to have killed the part of him that was #17 when he blew himself up? After all, if a punch was enough to kick out #18, an explosion powerful enough to kill Goku might be enough to kick out, and instantly incinerate, #17.

(Of course, if Cell actually says that he's still got #17 in him, then there goes that theory.)
I actually meant to mention that, and realized while editing the show that I totally forgot. Yeah, I would imagine that #17 was completely destroyed in the process of Cell exploding, therefore rendering his body non-existent.

Cell obviously regenerated to his "super kanzentai" form WITHOUT having #18 inside of him (since she physically exists as sentient barf). Therefore, we should pretty safely assume that Cell was also able to get to this form without having any sort of #17 existing within his body other than his DNA remembering how to get to that point.

I've basically re-iterated what you just said, I think, though :P.

In the end, I still stand by the idea that Cell's absorbing #17 was the catalyst for his eventual death, so Cell is the one primarily responsible. It's like how Piccolo physically killed Goku, but Raditz was really the one who caused it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:01 pm

This was quite the fan-centered episode, what with DC showing up, talk of the (in)famous AF series... and of course, the creepy love letter courtesy of Tori-Bot (I was wondering what he's been up to).

Tori-Bot's letter pretty much made the episode for me, but everything else was good, too. AF is just one of those things you can bring up and talk about on a million different levels. Sure, you risk having some people be even more steadfast in thinking that there's some kind of cover-up going on, but that's their problem.

It's always fun when other DaizEX'rs pop in on the podcast.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 pm

*looks at current location*

Hm.. interesting, should I go?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Awesome. I was worried the podcast wasn't happening today.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 pm

I agree that the main appeal of Toyble's comic is the amount of in-jokes and attention to detail. While I think (s)he does a good job on the action scenes, they're not what drew me in.

They katakana spelling of Xikor's name is ザイコー, zaikoo.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who feels like it should be April already...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Mike....DON'T LIE.

There are no server problems...

YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING BRAWL NONSTOP!!!

I know I have.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:12 am

"Episode #0120! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian bring on Desire Campbell to discuss the recent "DragonBall A--"
:shock: :shock *Fankids*
I was debating whether or not to read the summary before starting the episode. I think it might have been more amazing if I'd just clicked the link. I don't know why exactly this is the case... :? :shock:

"the week of March 16, 2008" Wheee! I just realized that this is a podcas on my birthday.
I think I love you guys.

I sorta kinda heard a small amount about AF around the time the Cell Saga wason Toonami, but didn't really think anything of it until like mid 2002, when some "ZOMG Japanese anime is all awesome pr0n!1!" guy (who was several years older than me) started talking about it and all the apparent sex scenes in Pokemon (:?). So... yeah... I just kinda ignored it and worked on fanstuffs until finding Daizenshuu EX.

East district 439! 20-year king!

... I don't think the anti-tracing position got enough mention. Otherwise, I say awesome!

AH! Tori-bot! *dies*
And it's still my birthday when I get to the end.
Bwah! Highlight of the day, for sure.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 am

Awesome podcast.

It was great hearing what you guys thought about Toyble's comic, I wasn't sure if I was just eating it up because I'm starved for new Dragonball goodness, it's good to know I'm not going out of my mind.

And my stomach still hurts from laughing at Tori-bot's letter, I actually had to rewind the podcast to catch the rest of the conversation I was laughing so hard.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:42 am

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 am

I feel guilty for mispronouncing desirecampbell's name; sorry about that. Anyway, this was a fantastic episode. That Tori-bot email was hilarious, I'm glad I listened to it a few moments ago rather than at night because my laughing would have woke up my siblings.

Edit by Gaiash: Thanks for fixing my mistakes. It's just typical, I make a post appologising for making a mistake and I make mistakes in said post. I may like to point out that I said woke because it was the word that sounded right what I checked how the sentance would sound when spoken. Its either my bad English or the differences between English and American English.
Last edited by Gaiash on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:08 am

Man that extra in the corner of the 3rd square wasn't Toriyama's best work.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:09 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
She actually looks quite a lot like Buu era Bulma, doesn't she?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:10 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Observations like this help me to understand how people would notice things like "AF" being on a mailbox. :P

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 pm

YES! YOU READ IT! OMGWTF!

(Please note: it was a joke.)

Anyway, awesome episode. Enjoyed hearing ol' Dessy talk about stuff.

And thanks to everyone who was ROFLing at my e-mail. 'Tis much appreciated. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:YES! YOU READ IT! OMGWTF!

(Please note: it was a joke.)

Anyway, awesome episode. Enjoyed hearing ol' Dessy talk about stuff.

And thanks to everyone who was ROFLing at my e-mail. 'Tis much appreciated. :P
My stomach hurt SO bad after Mike read that, oh my god. I was shocked he managed to keep it a secret. Normally when he gets funny e-mails, he reads them to me, so this was a great surprise. Thanks for making with the funnies!
[url=http://www.templeotrunks.com]http://www.templeotrunks.com[/url]

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Now I have something to listen to on the way to France tomorrow! Yay! :mrgreen:
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.