Re-animated Scene Archive: 19-26 Added! (Image Heavy)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:27 pm

That God shot with the added staff in Episode 11 looks god awful; they should have just redrew it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Ugh... Why?? So they are actually re-drawing some scenes just to remove effects and details like shading?

That's sad...
(1000th post!! :D)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't see what's wrong with that scene, unless you mean the arm, in which case, looked like that to begin with.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm

B wrote:I don't see what's wrong with that scene, unless you mean the arm, in which case, looked like that to begin with.
The hair. They redrew it to remove the shading...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

I thought they did it so it wouldn't look brown, because a Saiayjin's hair is supposed to be black

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Because I like to nitpick the scene in episode 2 with Goku in his little pod wasn't re-animated, they just did a Saban and painted out his wiener, the line-art is a dead give away (mostly because it still looks half-decent).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Hmm...looks like Namu is impersonating Kame-sennin again.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Yeah, pretty much all the old stuff looks better than the new stuff.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Because I like to nitpick the scene in episode 2 with Goku in his little pod wasn't re-animated, they just did a Saban and painted out his wiener, the line-art is a dead give away (mostly because it still looks half-decent).
Thanks. Those were in my new notes, but I completely skimmed over that. *fixed*

By they way, thanks to everyone that likes it so far. Hopefully we can keep this up. :)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Great job and great idea. Thank you Hujio :wink:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I find it ironic that they remove Vegeta's brown hair inside the episodes, but in the brand-new opening animation, he's given dark brown hair. :lol:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 am

Now that I have had a little more time to read over this, I'm loving these comparisons, I'll always prefer Z over Kai, but looking over these differences actually makes me want to bother to catch up on the 16 episodes or so I am behind on.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 am

Great comparisons! 8)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:54 am

Rod wrote:I thought they did it so it wouldn't look brown
Well, if that was the case, then why is Vegeta's hair still brown on the Kai opening and ending and on most new official art?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Shhh! This is a library we don't talk here

But, seriously, I don't know it's weird

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Rod wrote:Shhh! This is a library we don't talk here.
Now now, everyone is allowed to talk and discuss as much as they want. That's what this thread is for.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:38 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 013 (Link)

これが界王拳だ!!限界バトルの悟空VSべジータ
Kore ga Kaiouken da!! Genkai Batoru no Gokuu Tai Bejiita
This is the Kaio-ken!! A Battle to the Limit: Goku vs Vegeta

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Vegeta tells Nappa that he'll be taking over, he's a little pissed he won't be the one to finish off Goku. The close-up shot of Nappa, as he tells Goku to prepare himself for Vegeta, has been re-animated.

This short close-up shot of Goku catching Nappa with one hand after hitting him with Kaio-ken was re-animated, for some unknown reason.

Part of the scene where Goku explains to Krillin what the effects of the Kaio-ken are has been re-animated.

It's really hard to tell that this scene has been redrawn at all, considering the background is exactly the same in both. However, there are some slight differences. For starters, notice Gohan's mouth? In DragonBall Z it remains open almost the entire time, showing his excitement as Krillin asks Goku why he just didn't use the Kaio-ken to begin with. In DragonBall Kai however, his mouth has been drawn much smaller so he looks more shock about what just happened. You'll also notice that his eyes have been moved so that he's now looking more at Krillin instead of straight ahead. It also appears that the "Kame" logo on Krillin's dougi has been redrawn and everything has been retraced. Just by comparing between the two, the DragonBall Kai screen shot looks far less aged and even the background holds up. Can we get the rest of the series retraced like this?!

After Vegeta throws Nappa up into the air in anger, the screen pans across Goku, Krillin, and Gohan who are in shock of what is happening. This scene has been re-animated, and it may just be me, but it looks very pale in comparison to the original. Also be sure to note the film damage on the original DragonBall Z footage. This very well may be the main reason the scene was re-animated.

After Nappa asks Vegeta why he's doing this to him, Vegeta replies that "he doesn't need a Saiya-jin that can't move". The scene where Vegeta yells this at Nappa has been re-animated, including some new dramatic line effects.

The aerial shot of Vegeta on the ground from behind Goku has been re-animated, with a less than attractive redone background.

The scene as Goku and Vegeta battle high into the air, rotating as they go, has been re-animated. As Vegeta begins to rapidly punch Goku, you'll notice that the blur of his arms has now been colored white instead of blue.

Goku preparing to use the Kaio-ken for the first time against Vegeta has been re-animated, along with the brilliant rainbow energy effect. Note that the white glow around Goku in the first comparison shot is much fainter in DragonBall Kai.

After Goku punches Vegeta into the air he follows him, but Vegeta disappears. Both Vegeta vanishing, Goku approaching where he was, and Vegeta reappearing has been re-animated. Again notice the blur behind Vegeta is white rather than blue.

Part of the scene where Vegeta powers up and wind whips toward Goku has been re-animated. Interestingly, the wind has been faded and is much more transparent in DragonBall Kai.

Goku jumps into the air to avoid a ki blast from Vegeta, but Vegeta prepares to fire a second one at the airborne Goku, who is now a sitting duck. The initial shots of Vegeta firing this second blast, the blast getting really close to Goku, and the blast just barely missing Goku have been re-animated. However, the shots in-between these parts were not re-animated. Since when is the Kaio-ken aura orange?

The scene where Bulma reads off Goku's rising battle power, which eventually causes the scouter to explode, has been re-animated. As done in a similar scene in episode 009, this scene was re-animated to correct the color of the scouter Bulma is using. This scouter originally belonged to Raditz and was later converted by Bulma, but sometime after Raditz's death in DragonBall Z, the outer vent (is that what it is?) began being colored in gray instead of red.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Hujio wrote:
Rod wrote:Shhh! This is a library we don't talk here.
Now now, everyone is allowed to talk and discuss as much as they want. That's what this thread is for.
:lol:

I love episode's 13 redrawn scenes, they're an example of newer scenes done better than the first ones

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 014 (Link)

激突かめはめ波!ベジータ執念の大変身
Gekitotsu Kamehameha! Bejiita Shuunen no Dai-henshin
Kamehameha Clash! Vegeta's Tenacious Grand Transformation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After getting hit from behind by Goku, Vegeta rebounds off a rock and flies back at Goku, focusing ki around his fist to deliver a punch. The shot of his hand has been re-animated.

Goku dodges Vegeta's attack listed above, and delivers a massive punch straight to the gut. Goku's punch has been re-animated and the screen jumping all over the place for dramatic effect has been removed.

After taking one in the gut, Vegeta backs away from Goku clutching his stomach in pain. This whole scene has been re-animated, including Vegeta spitting up.

Vegeta screaming that he'll destroy Goku and this miserable planet has been re-animated, along with him powering up.

The initial shot of Vegeta taking off into the air has been re-animated.

An aerial shot from behind Vegeta has been re-animated, where he prepares to launch his Gyarik-ho toward Goku.

Almost the entire beam struggle scene between Goku and Vegeta has been re-animated, although there are just a couple pieces in-between left as-is.

The close-up shot of Vegeta's face as he's pushed into the air by Goku's Kamehameha, just before he roles off, has been re-animated.

The short scene where Vegeta tells Goku (Kakarot), who is completely confused, that he hasn't gotten rid of him just because he destroyed the moon has been re-animated.

Thinking Goku has tried to stop him from transforming by destroying Earth's moon, Vegeta counters by unleashing a power ball. The scene where the ball expands above Goku has been re-animated.

Gohan gets the feeling that his father is in danger and rushes back to the battleground. Krillin tries to stop him, but it's too late and Krillin takes off after him. Krillin reaching out and then flying after him have been re-animated.

Goku's flashback scenes with Grandpa Gohan and Kami-sama have been re-colored to signify them as flashbacks.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Huh, when watching Kai I never actually noticed the Kaioken change.