The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:29 pm

^I guess that was too much to expect. They've canned it as far as we know. It's the new Ocean Kai. :wtf:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm

This whole debacle has been a joke from the start for FUNi. Christopher Sabat saying they'd licensed it already at Oz Con, Kyle Hebert & Sean Schemmel both coming out and saying they were reprising their roles shortly, and since then Kyle removed his tweet, and Sean recanted.

It really disappoints me that we aren't going to get this completed until 2017. I just don't understand what on earth is taking them so long? a TV deal? they have well and truly failed to meet demand for this, and there's no telling when they plan on releasing it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:It really disappoints me that we aren't going to get this completed until 2017. I just don't understand what on earth is taking them so long? a TV deal? they have well and truly failed to meet demand for this, and there's no telling when they plan on releasing it.
We don't know for sure. A TV deal could be why, but it's also entirely possible that Toei themselves are the hold-up. Several other countries, including Mexico and Brazil, still haven't gotten a dub of The Final Chapters yet despite having dubbed all of what Kai had to offer prior to that.

Regardless of why there's a hold-up and regardless of who's responsible, as I've said elsewhere, the timing is pretty unfortunate from a business perspective.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:06 pm

^Wait, this is in it? :shock:

Now, that is hilariously unexpected. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:23 pm

More content from a filler episode. *facepalm*. So that's why the Japanese cut it out.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm sure this isn't likely at all, but I'm starting to wonder if somewhere like halfway through the dubbing process Funimation saw the changes they were making for the Japanese version and then turned around and decided they wanted to do that version instead for some reason, and now they're stuck waiting for the Japanese cuts of the last couple of episodes.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I'm sure this isn't likely at all, but I'm starting to wonder if somewhere like halfway through the dubbing process Funimation saw the changes they were making for the Japanese version and then turned around and decided they wanted to do that version instead for some reason, and now they're stuck waiting for the Japanese cuts of the last couple of episodes.
There's probably little to chance for that if they were supplied the Japanese version then its only right that the other countries should get it as well but instead we have a version that was made specifically for the international market
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm sure Revival of F and Dragonball Super have slow down the dubbing of Kai Final Chapter.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 am

Fillers again.Holy crap.I really should buy the Japanese Blu Rays asap before it's out of print, due to poor sales. :think:

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 am

I really at this point have no problems with it kai's little to no filler was thrown out long ago. At this point just waiting for the English version
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 am

Naruto6583 wrote:I really at this point have no problems with it kai's little to no filler was thrown out long ago. At this point just waiting for the English version
Same here. But I would be very surprised if this episode appears to be non-edited. Can anyone clarify on that?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am

Just a theory at the moment (we will know for sure next Monday when the episode airs in France) I think they'll take content from the second half of Z 287, and some from 288, similar to what they did for International 101.
Meaning the Japanese simply removed this episode, and showed the last two, so the only actual additional editing Toei did here was 6, they simply skipped International 101 & 165 (as both are made up of filler content).

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm guessing next Monday they will be airing double episodes in France, because the simulcast won't line up anymore if they don't.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:50 pm

I think "Let It Burn" will be used in a recap on the last episode like GT and Kai 1.0.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:31 am

I feel like I would have seen if it had been, but I apologise if this has been brought up before. It seems they fixed any poor inbetween frames for the Japanese version of the opening. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international version.

Here's a huge image showcasing the changes:
You'll notice the background is different between the versions, as well as the framing of the action. Things to watch out for are faces, hands, and arms. Likewise, there's some lighting changes between scenes.

They didn't even bother to draw Boo throwing the energy ball in the International release, instead, the ball engulfs him. Following this, the international version has some bland animation of Goku screaming before delivering a Kamehameha, whereas the Japanese version shows him watching the action from a dramatic angle before firing the beam off. Both have different lead-ins into the identical firing animation, but the Japanese version is significantly better.
There are so many pros and cons to each version, it's crazy. Japan has the better opening, while we have natural, unsharpened footage. Music placement and pacing varies from version to version, it's madness! What a crazy mess of a product.

I don't think I'd have noticed this if it weren't for this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 28#p945243
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Episode 157 is already part of the re-editing process, it seems.
Shots have been a bit cut here and there in the Japanese version to insert the scene showing Shenron making everyone forget about the threat.
In the international version, this scene does not appear and is likely saved for the next filler episode that has likely been completely cut from the Japanese footage.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Episode 157 is already part of the re-editing process, it seems.
Shots have been a bit cut here and there in the Japanese version to insert the scene showing Shenron making everyone forget about the threat.
In the international version, this scene does not appear and is likely saved for the next filler episode that has likely been completely cut from the Japanese footage.
Well, that kinda sucks, but I also kinda expected it. But I guess it's safe to say that the last 2 Japanese episodes will mirror the last 2 International episodes.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Episode 157 is already part of the re-editing process, it seems.
Yes. The episode ends exactly the same, but they cut a few seconds here and there (literally about 5) just to fit that scene in, which ironically, is filler anyway. So basically, the next episode for the International Version will be complete filler, (like 101) but I'm guessing the last two episodes will match the Japanese version - meaning (as I thought originally) they simply haven't bothered to show #165.
These two filler episodes are a waste of time, and I have no clue as to why Toei went to the trouble of producing them. Could it be a case of the production team not knowing these weren't present in the source material?. I will be skipping those when I buy the FUNi Blu Rays.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Yes. The episode ends exactly the same, but they cut a few seconds here and there (literally about 5) just to fit that scene in, which ironically, is filler anyway. So basically, the next episode for the International Version will be complete filler, (like 101) but I'm guessing the last two episodes will match the Japanese version - meaning (as I thought originally) they simply haven't bothered to show #165.
These two filler episodes are a waste of time, and I have no clue as to why Toei went to the trouble of producing them. Could it be a case of the production team not knowing these weren't present in the source material?. I will be skipping those when I buy the FUNi Blu Rays.[/quote]

Well I can at least understand why they left in International episode 101. If we look at Japanese Kai 100, the episode started with Videl thanking Great Saiyaman for saving her, and the people in the bus, yet like 3 minutes later in the episode, and I know this is supposed to be like at least a day after, Videl suddenly is like ''I knew you were a thief'' , and that felt super weird to me. But in the International version, they at least go from Videl thanking G. Saiyaman, to doubting him a bit, to confirming her doubts when G. Saiyaman ''steals'' the Chibi monster. It feels a lot more natural and the story doesn't feel as disjointed then the Japanese version. But that's just how I felt about it.

But International episode 165.... simple..... just another episode that Toei can sell. A episode that has absolutely no reason to be there, except for more money.