The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:33 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Yes. The episode ends exactly the same, but they cut a few seconds here and there (literally about 5) just to fit that scene in, which ironically, is filler anyway. So basically, the next episode for the International Version will be complete filler, (like 101) but I'm guessing the last two episodes will match the Japanese version - meaning (as I thought originally) they simply haven't bothered to show #165.
These two filler episodes are a waste of time, and I have no clue as to why Toei went to the trouble of producing them. Could it be a case of the production team not knowing these weren't present in the source material?. I will be skipping those when I buy the FUNi Blu Rays.
Darkblade1995 wrote:Well I can at least understand why they left in International episode 101. If we look at Japanese Kai 100, the episode started with Videl thanking Great Saiyaman for saving her, and the people in the bus, yet like 3 minutes later in the episode, and I know this is supposed to be like at least a day after, Videl suddenly is like ''I knew you were a thief'' , and that felt super weird to me. But in the International version, they at least go from Videl thanking G. Saiyaman, to doubting him a bit, to confirming her doubts when G. Saiyaman ''steals'' the Chibi monster. It feels a lot more natural and the story doesn't feel as disjointed then the Japanese version. But that's just how I felt about it.

But International episode 165.... simple..... just another episode that Toei can sell. A episode that has absolutely no reason to be there, except for more money.
I do understand what you're saying about #101, actually, some of the scenes in that episode are actually in the manga, but depicted differently - so, I can at least see the reasoning behind it.
But yeah, #165 is definitely one to skip, and is there so Toei can make a bit more money.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:20 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:#165 is definitely one to skip, and is there so Toei can make a bit more money.
I don't think that's why cause 1 episode won't make a difference when it comes to the amount of discs the arc will be on.

Maybe the producers thought it was a fun episode so the decided to keep it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:#165 is definitely one to skip, and is there so Toei can make a bit more money.
I don't think that's why cause 1 episode won't make a difference when it comes to the amount of discs the arc will be on.

Thing is, they've had to put it together from 30 minutes of footage - it isn't straight up Z 288. I have no idea why they would bother putting together an episode containing pure filler material.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:02 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Thing is, they've had to put it together from 30 minutes of footage - it isn't straight up Z 288. I have no idea why they would bother putting together an episode containing pure filler material.

Exactly. They probably used the second half of Z 287, and they have to cut down 288 to another 10 minutes. Doesn't make any sense since they could've gone straight to Z 289. That way they removed filler without doing anything.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 am

Japanese episodes 9-58 are the same as international version, right ?

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:06 am

Also, is France airing uncut episodes ? If so, why are the first few 22 min and not 23 min long ?

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 am

Dbzejo wrote:Japanese episodes 9-58 are the same as international version, right ?
That's correct. Episode 60 and 61 should also match episode 68 and 69 in the International version but I guess we'll find out this Monday.
Dbzejo wrote:Also, is France airing uncut episodes ? If so, why are the first few 22 min and not 23 min long ?
The first few episode have this pal speed if I remember correctly. Instead of the usual 24 FPS they go at a 25 FPS speed. The later episodes appear to have been pitch-corrected.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks, man !

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:44 pm

I've just skimmed through International #165 - it is what we thought. At the start, they showed around 6 minutes from the second half of Z #287, and then the majority of #288. This confirms the final 2 episodes will match the last 2 of the Japanese broadcast.
Which begs the question, what on earth was the point of this episode? Toei paid to produce it, paid the Voice Actors etc, for complete filler?. I'll be skipping this one on the FUNi Blu-Ray.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I really don't get it either. You would think that if they are gonna finish Kai with the Buu arc, you would expect less filler so that they won't have to pay the voice actors as much as with 69 episodes. But something tells me that Toei isn't the one who paid for the production of the Buu arc. Think about it. More episodes, more voice work. A music director who has to place music for 69 episodes. A soundtrack of around 60 tracks, while they could've gone the cheaper way and just place Kikuchi's soundtrack. Create a full new opening instead of just reusing Dragon Soul and just replace a couple of shots (which I was almost 99.9% convinced they were going to do that). They even bothered to still create some new effects and even correct some animation flaws and even redraw some things. No, I don't think Toei paid for it. Probably Funimation and other international licenses.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:43 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I've just skimmed through International #165 - it is what we thought. At the start, they showed around 6 minutes from the second half of Z #287, and then the majority of #288. This confirms the final 2 episodes will match the last 2 of the Japanese broadcast.
Which begs the question, what on earth was the point of this episode? Toei paid to produce it, paid the Voice Actors etc, for complete filler?. I'll be skipping this one on the FUNi Blu-Ray.
So, the part with Shenron making people forget the wishes was there? And Great Saiyaman 1 and 2? And Chi-Chi dancing? :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:I've just skimmed through International #165 - it is what we thought. At the start, they showed around 6 minutes from the second half of Z #287, and then the majority of #288. This confirms the final 2 episodes will match the last 2 of the Japanese broadcast.
So, the part with Shenron making people forget the wishes was there? And Great Saiyaman 1 and 2? And Chi-Chi dancing? :D
Yup. All that glorious filler.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:33 pm

TheRed259 wrote:For a moment, I thought that a piece from ''Let it burn'' will play when Chi-Chi dances. :lol:
Yeah, I'm seriously wondering when they plan on using that. I'm thinking Goku vs. Uub is the only point left where this song could possibly play.

So, what song did play during the Chi-Chi scene? I'm going to guess Effective Attack.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:16 am

TheRed259 wrote:Image
Wow wtf, they actually left this episode in Kai :wtf:

Boo saga Kai has been a disaster IMO because Toei cheapened out while they were making this. Like why would they keep this episode in Kai when Kai was meant for no filler.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:46 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Image
Wow wtf, they actually left this episode in Kai :wtf:

Boo saga Kai has been a disaster IMO because Toei cheapened out while they were making this. Like why would they keep this episode in Kai when Kai was meant for no filler.
i'm pretty sure the no filler policy was thrown out the when they created the last arc otherwise we would've gotten a slightly shorter international version
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:26 pm

The only real difference between the Japanese version and the International one are those 6 episodes right at the start, which were bits of filler trimmed here and there, and breathing room. This resulted in those terrible Saiyaman episodes, which weren't in the least bit entertaining.
The scenario was changed by the director at the time, and really, I'm surprised they even attempted to remove any of it in the first place. So, if you remove those two filler episodes, the only significant difference remains at 6 - which doesn't bother me, as the Saiyaman and World Tournament Arcs are better with those scenes left in.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:47 pm

I feel like I'm being annoying by constantly repeating this, but the "no filler policy" people always talk about was thrown out with episode one. Back in 2009. "No filler" has never been a priority. "As little filler as possible" has never been a priority. Z-Lite.

Even with that said, I'm astounded that they kept those last couple anime-only episodes. That's bad even for them. Holy moly.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 am

So, in the end the only difference is 7 cut episodes from saiyaman/tournament sagas and 1 filler ep after buus defeat. 99-106 japanese are cut/condensed, 107-156 are exactly the same, 157 is little bit different because of that filler episode and then the final 2 are the same in both version. Wow, such unnecessary confusion...

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:40 am

Also, which OP do you guys prefer : Fight it our or Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go ? I kinda prefered the japanese one at the beginning but Fight it out grew on me lately..