Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 am

I was so, so afraid that we would get another episode 129. I am so, so thankful that didn't happen, and we instead got the best animated episode of all time.

Fucking amazing, I'm speechless. Go back and watch episode 5 and look at how far we've come, it's mindblowing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 am

It's been ages since I've been so impressed with a dbs episode that I had to watch it a 2nd time later on. The animation in 130's just that good! :mrgreen:

I can't wait for Ajay's video on this episode!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 am

JazzMazz wrote:I think this episode perfectly highlights why we should expect more from the movies.

For gods sakes, this episode was better animated than ROF was. :lol:
Now I can see why you would call ROF a bad looking film, because for movie standards it doesn't messure up at all.
Though it didn't look bad as a product, imo.

With that said, wow. I never expected anything to surpass 109/110, but I was dead wrong.

This entire fucking episode looked great from start to finish. Tate's cuts were easily just as good as his 110 one if not even better, I spotted Higashide and Nikaido with their awesome consistent h2h action and effects animation, and the rest looked on par as well.

But Shida's cut was an absolute marvel. I think it's better than 57 and 66. The movements, effects, art and of course the fantastic camera work all together created a real quality cut, like JazzMazz said - the entire episode was better than the ROF movie.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 am

I have no doubt the movie will have even better animation than this, with much better designs and even better schedule. I think the plot would be more cohesive than the current arc, since it is mostly written by Toriyama himself(as far as we know). Some of the individual episodes have been really good but they don't feel like part of a big plot. Its like too many cooks in the kitchen, as a result of the messed up production. But nonetheless, I am optimistic for the movie. Hoping for a trailer at the end of 131.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:27 am

Whoa. I cannot believe I missed this. Impressive.

https://t.co/xc2pCa5jui?amp=1

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:45 am

dhaval_dongre wrote:Whoa. I cannot believe I missed this. Impressive.

https://t.co/xc2pCa5jui?amp=1
That was hard to notice, I didn't notice it too! Shida is a god, his attention to details never ceases to amaze me.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:49 am

Jesus, Dragon Ball never looked this amazing. The special treatment UI got for all this arc makes it the best Goku's transformation in my book, especially considering the way he fights actually changes with it and there's a concept behind it. Not to mention how imposing it looks. Anyway, bravo to everyone involved.
A Man named RJ wrote:what with all the clear rule-breaking such as attacking the audience and zeno letting anything happen because "OHHHHHH!!!" and whatnot)
I think Zeno didn't show up this week at all lol. I thought that scene illustrated Jiren's desperation nicely. And is it really against the rules to kill people that are not in the tournament anymore? Or is that a loophole? That's a moot point anyway, as he didn't even manage to, so he couldn't be punished.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 am

Massive shout out to the NEP person. The person didn't spoil ANYTHING :clap: No one minute PV either from Toei...! Must have been hard trying to cut that NEP!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:32 am

Who was the writer of this episode?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 am

That was the Dragon Ball Super i always wanted.

A fast, intense, brutal battle for survival.
Tate, Shida, thank you for all the goddness provided in both animation & art departement in today's episode. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And NEP looks stunning too, we're going to salute the show with Takahashi onboard.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Who was the writer of this episode?

It was Yamaguchi if I recall correctly. Just going off of memory atm

Also on my 2nd watch, I must say I found the second half to be the stronger of the two. The first half was great and had Tate's brilliant fluidity, but Shida in the second half was just...beautiful!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:When it aired thought nothing would top the DBS special...

Now imagine if the Trunks arc had episodes like this? Holy shit.
It really makes me wonder what Super could have looked like with a proper schedule.
Honestly just supervisors handling entire episodes on their own is what I look forward too with a proper schedule instead of half or quarter episodes like now. A proper schedule will also hopefully allow them to KA a lot in their own episodes too. Right now it feels like Tate is the only one that does significant KA in his episodes.

Like Takahashi's supervision in his episodes were great but lacked any great KA from him as a result. Which is why I'm glad he isn't supervising next episode, I'd rather he concentrate on KA for the finale. Sure we may not get his sexy curved eyes and amazing cheek shading but in return for hopefully great KA it's a good trade off in my opinion.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Firebolt wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Reminds me of Teen Goku from the original DB.
Not really. It reminds me of M12 Goku actually:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:33 pm

It seemed like Aside from this forum, and the "Sakuga community," nobody has really appreciated Tate (even though all the reaction comps praise his work nowadays because they dont notice things just got looser). And it's thanks to tate and a lot of our earlier ADs (like Shimanuki) that DBS despite it's awful schedule kept itself together. As a person who is also now suddenly taking charge of a failing animation project, I understand his pain a lot more than I did before (and I understood it before) shit's stressful. Not only did Tate hold those early episodes together and bring us bombshell sequences afterward, he then went back and did corrections for entire episodes. The guy's a monster!

And so I on no authority Grant Naoki Tate the Award for best animator on this show.

As for Yuya Takahashi, His younger touch and dedication to the series that inspired other animators (in much the same way Yoshimichi Kameda did to his Bones contemporaries) Earns the award for the Most inspiring.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:06 pm

de rest of the pics :

https://imgur.com/a/cYtok

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Some thoughts for the NEP
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Looks like Yamamuro is not gonna correct all of Takahashi's work,you can clearly see his cheek and muscle shading on Jiren.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ishitani's storyboard already looks fantastic.I really want see,what she can deliver.

I see Takahashi's animation everywhere in the preview,so is there a chance,that he is gonna animate a 2-3 minutes long scene,like he did in the FT special?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Remember always the chance that Yamamuro will touch up during the week.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Remember always the chance that Yamamuro will touch up during the week.
I'll cross my fingers and hope that he won't
Get Fucked, C_unt

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I will be so mad if Yamamuro wastes his time correcting Takahashi and leaves some very questionable drawings uncorrected. If he is correcting Takahashi then it must mean the rest of the episode looks on-model at the very least. For example, from the NEP I can see a bad Shimanuki's Jiren which would be better off corrected by Yamamuro, and I'm sure there are other drawings in the episode which would be better if corrected.
Takahashi may be off-model but his drawings are very polished, so I hope Yamamuro won't further correct them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical