Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

So I did a quick Googling to see if VIZ or Glénat did a translation of any manga I don't own, and was pleasantly surprised to come across the two following results:

1) Glénat started releasing the Dr Slump Kanzenban in December.

2) Akira Toriyama recently (in September) made a new one-shot for the Biosphere 2030 project (http://2030.jp/). It's two chapters long and both star characters from Neko Majin Ga Iru (which is part of the Dragonworld! Yay!). The first chapter has the two thugs from Ga Iru 1, whereas the second has the Raudo, who are the same aliens who appear in the bonus Dr Slump chapter (released in the Slumpbox), Toccio The Angel, Neko Majin Ga Iru 2, Neko Majin Z2 and in the Dragonball Jump Special (Gure's race). It also seems to star a new Neko Majin or Usa Majin.

So here's my questions: is there any way to purchase Biosphere outside of going to this Japanese Biodome? Will it be coming to other biodomes (like, say, the Montreal one :D), since this is non-governmentally produced? Or at the least, is this scanslated somewhere?

Also, is there anything in the Dr Slump Kanzenban that wasn't in the tankobon? The Slumpbox chapter, maybe? If yes, in what volume(s)?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 pm

The Slumpbox chapter is "Abale-chan" (the evil version of Arale), right? If so, it isn't included in the kanzenban, unfortunately.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Herms wrote:The Slumpbox chapter is "Abale-chan" (the evil version of Arale), right? If so, it isn't included in the kanzenban, unfortunately.
Crud. Are there any differences between the Kanzenban and tankobon?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, the kanzenban have the color chapters in color, better print quality, and newly drawn covers, as per the usual. I'm mostly familiar with Slump through the kanzenban (though I do have a few of Glenat's old volumes), so I'm not too sure if there are any other differences. I think some of the color title pages may have been touched up digitally, since some have the same "look" to them as the touched-up color title pages for the DB kanzenban.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Herms wrote:Well, the kanzenban have the color chapters in color, better print quality, and newly drawn covers, as per the usual. I'm mostly familiar with Slump through the kanzenban (though I do have a few of Glenat's old volumes), so I'm not too sure if there are any other differences. I think some of the color title pages may have been touched up digitally, since some have the same "look" to them as the touched-up color title pages for the DB kanzenban.
How many volumes were there? Glénat's site says 15 are scheduled. From the sounds of it, I'll probably give the dead last one a look (in case the French version includes the Abale-chan chapter as an extra), but besides that, I'm not interested in rebuying the whole series.

How about Biosphere? You know anything about what that's about? (hint hint, wink wink, translate translate site's blurb blurb?)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Dayspring wrote:How many volumes were there? Glénat's site says 15 are scheduled. From the sounds of it, I'll probably give the dead last one a look (in case the French version includes the Abale-chan chapter as an extra), but besides that, I'm not interested in rebuying the whole series.
There were 18 tankoubon volumes of Dr. Slump, and from 2006-2007 they re-released them in a kanzenban format, reducing it down to 15 volumes. I've been meaning to pick-up the kanzenban for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm so jealous that France gets the kanzenban!
Dayspring wrote:How about Biosphere? You know anything about what that's about? (hint hint, wink wink, translate translate site's blurb blurb?)
What do you want to know about it? Just what it is exactly and what Toriyama had to do with it?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Hujio wrote:
Dayspring wrote:How many volumes were there? Glénat's site says 15 are scheduled. From the sounds of it, I'll probably give the dead last one a look (in case the French version includes the Abale-chan chapter as an extra), but besides that, I'm not interested in rebuying the whole series.
There were 18 tankoubon volumes of Dr. Slump, and from 2006-2007 they re-released them in a kanzenban format, reducing it down to 15 volumes. I've been meaning to pick-up the kanzenban for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm so jealous that France gets the kanzenban!
Dayspring wrote:How about Biosphere? You know anything about what that's about? (hint hint, wink wink, translate translate site's blurb blurb?)
What do you want to know about it? Just what it is exactly and what Toriyama had to do with it?
I noticed they were having problems with their release schedule. At least, for the Dragonball ones they did. After all this time, they're still only at volume 6 of the DB Kanzenban. Slump seems to be working on a once-every-other-month schedule. At that rate, it'll take a full year from March for the entire Slump Kanzenban to be released.

As for Biosphere, I want to know as much as possible. What little I got was from Google's translation feature. What's the story about, who's the main character, are there plans to release it outside the biodome? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated (and I think all can come from the link I provided above). Scanslations of the manga itself would be a godsend, but I suppose that'll be an impossibility.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 am

It's because of questions like this that we need a forum section dedicated to Toriyama's other works.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17868
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Questions about Dr Slump Kanzeban and new Biosphere one-shot

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:It's because of questions like this that we need a forum section dedicated to Toriyama's other works.
What, for Dayspring and Dayspring-exclusively to continue asking the questions...? :P

Folks, this isn't a general Toriyama fansite. We cannot and will not moderate general Toriyama discussion. You're free to make your own all-encompassing Toriyama fansite with its own huge forum. No-one's stopping you. Just because this isn't the place doesn't mean we won't support you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

Locked