Name Pun Round-up

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Name Pun Round-up

Post by Hujio » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Nikki's name is correct. That name is from cinnamon NOT diary. Nikki's name is a reference to the Japanese word Nikki (ニッキ, Nikki, in romaji), which means cinnamon.
*Head. Desk. Repeat.*
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Hujio wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Nikki's name is correct. That name is from cinnamon NOT diary. Nikki's name is a reference to the Japanese word Nikki (ニッキ, Nikki, in romaji), which means cinnamon.
*Head. Desk. Repeat.*
Oh, sorry bout that.

Question, how fused characters combined names such as like: Yamcha + Tenshinhan = Yamhan and Piccolo + Kuririn = Prillin? Does this make sense?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Hujio wrote:
*Head. Desk. Repeat.*
Oh, sorry bout that.

Question, how fused characters combined names such as like: Yamcha + Tenshinhan = Yamhan and Piccolo + Kuririn = Prillin? Does this make sense?
Yamcha + Tenshinhan = Yamhan and Piccolo + Kuririn = Puririn.

So....yeah, it does make sense

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Wasn't it Piririn for the Piccolo/Kuririn one?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Wasn't it Piririn for the Piccolo/Kuririn one?
Correct.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:12 pm

OK, so I'm going to try and make a 2nd draft of this guide over the weekend. Currently I'm planning on adding the following things:

Techniques
Fusion characters
The evil dragons and dragonball names
Dr. Slump characters
Other random stuff (Gerinovitch, Magure, etc)
Some corrections and expanded explanations

Any other specific things you think should be added? I'm also going to try and reorganize things a bit: I've got all those random things at the end, and I know some things are listed twice. Do you think "Planet Namek" or "Planet Vegeta" should be listed with the rest of the Namekian or Saiyan-related puns, or with the planets? Or should they be listed in both places? Also, what about anime-only Saiyans like Broli or Tarble? Should they be listed with the other Saiyans, or with their respective movies/specials? The guide's fairly long, so should I add section numbers so people can quickly search for a specific section, like on GameFAQs?

Olivier Hague sent me his list of alphabet spellings from the manga and official Japanese merchandise, so I'll put that in somewhere too. I think it'll be its own seperate thing and not incorporated into the main body of the name pun guide, but I'm not really sure. I'm also not sure how/if I'll handle different spellings/translations from the various adaptations of the series.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 am

Possibly for people like Tarble, you could center their info in either area and use a note like "Tarble: see 'Ossu!'" like encyclopedias use to direct people back to the main desc, without having to use it twice or separate them from places where they really should be included as well.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:43 am

Amigo Ten wrote:Wasn't it Piririn for the Piccolo/Kuririn one?
It was, sorry. I forgot.

Why do we need to a name pun guide on fusion characters? It's just character A's name plus character B's name. Not really much "pun" to it.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 am

Herms wrote:Bardock
Named after burdock, particularly greater burdock (gobou, whose roots are used in meals in Japan. In the DB Forever name pun guide, Toriyama has trouble remembering if Bardock even appeared in the manga, but a note in parenthesis points out the pun.
Toriyama Explanation:I don’t really remember this. Did he even appear in the original story [i.e. the manga]? If he was in the original story, then his name was definitely taken from a vegetable. (Bardock=greater burdock)” [DBF]
Source Spelling:: バーダック/Baadakku
Name Spelling: same
Am I supposed to be shocked at this?! :shock:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Velasa wrote:Possibly for people like Tarble, you could center their info in either area and use a note like "Tarble: see 'Ossu!'" like encyclopedias use to direct people back to the main desc, without having to use it twice or separate them from places where they really should be included as well.
Ah, that's a good idea. I think I'll do that.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Why do we need to a name pun guide on fusion characters? It's just character A's name plus character B's name. Not really much "pun" to it.
I think there's enough confusion over Vegetto's name to justify an explanation, and I might as well include the others to be complete.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 pm

What an excellent read!!

I've found some additional trivia:
Ubuu names is possibly a play on 初 (ubu) meaning something along the lines of inexperienced or naive, the kanji literally means "first time".

Also it's interesting to note that Yajoribee (Lit. Additional Son Imperial Palace Guard) actually is reminiscent of old samurai names or zokumyo if you will such as Gorobee (五郎兵衛) and Tarobee (太郎兵衛). Samurai used to usually have 3 names, their first name, title and surname. The title would usually describe their job or social stand. Names containg elements such as zaemon/uemon (左衛門/右衛門) meant that the individual was working as a gate guardian, no-kami (の守) would be the equivalent to "Lord of" and -bee/-hee (兵衛) denoted that the individual worked as a guardian of sorts.
As time passed it became more ordinary to blend in elements from first names with the titles resulting with names such as Tarozaemon (太郎左衛門; containing the name Taro (太郎 "Eldest Son")). Later on it became even more normal for people to take on first names that imitated this naming pattern. For those who are interested there is more about it here
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Herms wrote: Any other specific things you think should be added?
Would you be willing to add characters from video games such as Kurilien or Synthesizer or characters from Neko Majin(or just the 'Z' portion of it since that is when it is Dragon Ball related)?

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 am

Herms wrote: Mutaito
武/mu refers to the martial arts (it’s the same kanji used to write the bu in budoukai), while 泰斗/taito is an abbreviation of 泰山北斗/taizanhokuto, meaning a great authority; the phrase comes from the New Book of Tang. Therefore, “Mutaito” essentially translate to “a great authority of the martial arts”.
Toriyama Explanation: “Sorry, but I don’t remember” [DBF]
Interestingly enough, in Chinese Mutaito translates to Martial Magnate (武泰斗 wǔ tài dǒu).
Makaioshin wrote:
Herms wrote: Any other specific things you think should be added?
Would you be willing to add characters from video games such as Kurilien or Synthesizer or characters from Neko Majin(or just the 'Z' portion of it since that is when it is Dragon Ball related)?
Also would be be to much to ask if you could add the Slump characters that appeared in volume 7?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 pm

OK, here we go with updates. I'll go add this stuff into the original two posts, but I'll put it here too so people can easily see what's new.

Saiyan and Tsufruian Stuff

Saiyans
Their name comes from yasai, Japanese for “vegetable”.
Source Spelling: 野菜/yasai
Name Spelling: サイヤ人/Saiya-jin

Tsufruians
The race the Saiyans wiped out in order to take full control of Planet Vegeta. In contrast to the Saiyans, who are named for vegetables, they are named after “fruits”.
Source Spelling: フルーツ/furuutsu
Name Spelling: ツフル人/Tsufuru-jin

Great Saiyaman
Basically just a typical Super Sentai-type name. The jin in “Saiya-jin” is essentially just swapped out for the English word “man”.

Great Saiyaman No.2
Probably a reference to the anime Yatterman, where Yatterman’s girlfriend dresses up as “Yatterman No.2”. In anime, manga, and whatnot, the English word “man” is often used in characters’ names, but its use isn’t limited to men, as seen in names like “Devilman Lady” and

SaibaiMan
Named from the Japanese word saibai, meaning ‘cultivation’, making them the “Cultivation Men”. For some reason or another, Funi leaves the second “i” off of “Saibai” for ther spellng of the name.
Source Spelling: 栽培/saibai
Name Spelling: 栽培マン/Saibaiman

Random Stuff

Magure
The wimpy kid who manages to beat Goku at the Tenkaichi Budoukai in GT by sheer, unbelievable luck. Hence, his name is a pun on Maguure is a pun on magure, meaning ‘fluke’.
Source Spelling: 紛れ/magure
Name Spelling: マグーレ/Maguure

Gerinovitch
A philosopher mentioned by one of Gohan’s high school teachers. Possibly named for geri, “diarrhea”. In Viz his name is therefore changed to some variant on “diarrhea”, though I can’t remember exactly what it is.
Source Spelling: 下痢/geri
Name Spelling: ゲリノビッチ/Gerinobicchi

Dr. Slump Characters

Norimaki Household
Norimaki Arale
Her family name is taken from norimaki, rice wrapped in seaweed. Meanwhile, “Arale” comes from arare, short for arare-mochi, square roasted pieces of mochi flavored with soy sauce or sugar. Norimaki arare, therefore, is arare-mochi wrapped in seaweed.
Source Spelling: 海苔巻き/norimaki + あられ/arare
Name Spelling: 則巻 アラレ/Norimaki Arare

Norimaki Senbei
Named after senbei, thin, flat, rice crackers; norimaki senbee refers to senbei wrapped in seaweed.
Source Spelling: 海苔巻き煎餅/norimaki-senbei
Name Spelling: 則巻千兵衛/Norimaki Senbee

Norimaki Midori
Senbei’s wife, and Arale’s formal teacher. “Midori” means “green”. Her maiden name is “Yamabuki”, taken from a golden yellow Japanese rose. In DB, Gohan describes the color of Goku’s martial arts uniform as the color of this rose.

Norimaki Turbo
Senbei and Midori’s son. Named because of Senbei’s car fixation . In the future, he gets a younger sister named “Nitro”.

Norimaki Gajira
Arale’s angelic companion, who eventually splits into two. Arale names him by combining the names of two famous giant monsters, “Gamera” and “Gojira” (Godzilla).

Soramame Family

Soramame Tarou
Arale’s friend, who wears shades. His family has a bean theme. “Soramame” (literally “sky bean”) is the Japanese name for the broad bean, while “Tarou” is a generic Japanese name for the firstborn son.

Soramame Peasuke
A pun on ピース/piisu, “peas”, and 助/suke, a common element in Japanese given names.

Soramame Kurikinton
Tarou and Peasuke’s rather Clint Eastwood-ish father. “Kurikinton” refers to mashed sweet potatoes sweetened with chestnuts. It’s a regional specialty of the city of Nakatsugawa, in Gifu Prefecture.
Source Spelling: 栗きんとん/kurikinton
Name Spelling: 空豆 クリキントン/Soramame Kurikinto

Soramame Mame
Tarou and Peasuke’s mother, who might not actually appear in DB, now that I think of it. Anyway, her name simply comes from mame, Japanese for “bean” or “pea”.

Tsun Family

Tsun Tsukutsun
Arale’s pseudo-Chinese friend. His name comes from tsutsuku, meaning to poke or prod.

Tsun Tsuntsunodanoteiyuugou
Tsukutsun’s mother. Her name comes from the Tsunoda bike company, who had a popular commercial called “Tsun-Tsun Tsunoda’s T.U. Model”, with “T.U.” being a reference to the first two letters in “Tunoda”, the original alphabet spelling of the company’s name from back when they were first founded.
Source Spelling: つんつんツノダのテーユー(T.U)号/tsun-tsun Tsunoda no Teeyuu gou
Name Spelling: 摘詰角田野廷遊豪 /Tsun Tsuntsunodanoteiyuugou

Others

Kimidori Akane
Arale’s friend. Her family has a color theme running through it. 木/ki means “tree” and 緑/midori means “green”, and is a homonym for黄緑/kimidori, “pea green”, while Akane is a pun on aka, “red”. Her older sister, who appears briefly in DB, is named “Aoi” (blue/green). Their mother is named “Murasaki” (purple), and their father is “Kon” (navy blue).

Obotcha Man
A pun combining obotchama with “man”. Obotchama is a variant on obotchan, a polite term for someone’s son, often used to refer to a son from a wealthy family. It has connotations of said son being sheltered or spoiled, and in this sense is used to refer to Gohan in the title of DBZ’s first episode. Obotcha Man is named this for his extremely prim and proper manner. The character was originally named “Caramel Man No.4”, since he was one of Dr. Mashirito’s series of robots created to beat Arale and/or take over the world (a clear parallel to Gero and his androids). After the character joined Arale and co.’s side, Toriyama asked readers to come up with a new name for him, and “Obotcha Man” was the result.

Suppa Man
A pun on suppai, meaning “sour”, and “Superman”, the name of a certain dickish superhero. Suppa Man’s secret identity is 暗悪健太/Kura’aku Kenta, a pun on Clark Kent. 暗/kura=dark, 悪/aku=evil, and 健太/Kenta is a common Japanese given name.

Nikochan
A green alien who resides in Penguin Village, generally against his will. His name is possibly a reference to the children’s TV program Romper Room, the Japanese version of which featured a “Niko-Chan Balloon”.

Gala & Pagos
Two Penguin Village policemen who appear in the anime. Their names combine to form “Galapagos”, a reference to the Galapagos Islands.
Source Spelling: ガラパゴス諸島/Garapagosu-Shotou
Name Spelling: ガラ, パゴス/Gara, Pagosu

Kurigashira Daigorou
Arale’s big-headed teacher. “Kuri-Gashira” means “chestnut-head”, a reference to his enormous, chestnut-shaped head, while “Daigorou” is a Japanese name meaning “big fifth son”.
Name Spelling: 栗頭 大五郎/Kurigashira Daigorou

Sarada Kinoko
The little girl on the tricycle. “Sarada” is a pun on “salad”, while “Kinoko” means “mushroom”. So in other words it’s a pun on the mushrooms you put in a salad. In keeping with this theme, she has a little sister named “Lettuce”.
Source Spelling: サラダ/sarada + キノコ(茸)/kinoko
Name Spelling: 皿田 きのこ/Sarada Kinoko

Techniques
This only includes technique names that involve some bit of wordplay or reference.

Kamehameha
A play on the name of Kamehameha the Great, the famous Hawaiian king who unified the islands of Hawaii. In Hawaiian, ka means a person, while meha-meha means “lonely”, so “Kamehameha” means “lonely person” or “the lonely one”. In his Daizenshuu 4 interview, Toriyama explains how his wife suggested this name when he was trying to come up with a name for Kame-sennin’s attack that would end in ha. In the Super Exciting Guide: Story Volume, he tells essentially the same story, but adds “Of course, this was taken from King Kamehameha of Hawaii”. This connection is not actually mentioned in the original series, but in the Viz manga when Puar first sees the attack he asks “Isn’t that the name of the king of Hawaii?”

In DB, the attack name is mostly in hiragana (rather than katakana like with the king’s name), while the final ha is written with the kanji for “wave”. Apart from this, no explanation is ever given in the series or guidebooks as to what, if any, in-universe meaning the name is supposed to have. It would make sense to assume that the kame in the name is supposed to mean “turtle”, since it’s the signature attack of the turtle hermit Kame-sennin, but since that part of the name is never written with the actual kanji for “turtle”, and is never said to actually mean “turtle”, this isn’t certain. The hame part is even more uncertain. Since the days of Planet Namek.com, English fansites have kicked around the explanation that this part means “destruction”, and that therefore the entire name translates to “Turtle Destruction Wave”, presumably on the idea that hame is short for 破滅/hametsu, meaning ruin or destruction. Now, this would be a somewhat unnatural way to shorten hametsu, since the ha part comes from the first kanji (破), and the metsu part from the second (滅). One could argue that such distortion is understandable since it’s needed to match the name of the Hawaiian king, but if Toriyama had this word in mind but had to alter it so, you’d think he would have been sure to explain at some point that this was what he was going for, especially since there’s a few other things that hame could potentially stand for. Ultimately, while it’s not exactly impossible that this meaning was intended, there’s no actual reason to think that it was.

Toriyama Explanation: “My wife was the one who named the Kamehameha. I was fretting, saying ‘Kame-sennin's special attack should be something-or-another ha, something-or-another ha...’ and she said ‘Wouldn't Kamehameha be alright?’ That was good, silly, and fitted Kame-sennin's mood perfectly.” [D4]
Source Spelling: カメハメハ/Kamehameha
Name Spelling: かめはめ波/Kamehameha

Janken
A pun on janken, Japanese for the game “Rock, Paper, Scissors”. The joke is that the ken part is written with the kanji for “fist” (拳), which is often used in martial arts technique names and in this context essentially means “attack” or “technique”. Hence Viz translating the name as “Fist of the Rock Paper Scissors” rather than simply “Rock Paper Scissors”.
Source Spelling: じゃんけん/Janken
Name Spelling: ジャン拳/Janken

Dodon-pa
“Dodonpa” is a genre of Japanese music combining Dodoitsu song and Rumba dance, hence the name. “Don” is also a Japanese sound effect for loud, crashing sounds, and also used simply for emphasis (in which capacity it is frequently employed in One Piece), and “do-don” is a variant of this. The pa in the attack’s name is written with the kanji for “wave” (the same kanji used to write the final ha in “Kamehameha”), so going with the sound effect meaning, the name could loosely be translated as “Ka-Bang Wave”. Incidentally, a monster named “Dodonpa” appears in Dr. Slump.
Source Spelling: ドドンパ/Dodonpa
Name Spelling: どどん波/Dodon-pa

Genki-Dama
元気/ genki refers to a state where one is filled with life, and so is equivalent to health or vitality, while dama is a rendaku reading of玉/tama, meaning a ball or jewel. So essentially, it’s the Vitality Ball.
Source Spelling: 元気/genki + 玉/tama
Name Spelling: 元気玉/Genki-Dama

Suiken
Means “Drunken Fist”, and is the Japanese reading of Zui Quan, a Chinese martial arts style where one moves as if drunk. The fighting style was popularized by the Jacky Chan movie Drunken Master (the original Chinese title was simply “Zui Quan”). In his Daizenshuu 2 interview, Toriyama notes that this movie was one of his main inspirations to begin DragonBall: “I had just ended Dr. Slump, and for the time being I was thinking about what I should do for my next serialized work. I had many meetings with my editor at the time, Torishima-san. As it happened, at that time I loved Jacky Chan's movies and had seen Drunken Master dozens of times. Since I liked that sort of thing, Torishima-san advised me to try and make a kung-fu shounen manga, so I drew a one-shot called Dragon Boy. That got an incredibly positive response from the readers, so I decided to go that route for my next serialized work.”

Kyoken
One of the attacks Goku uses against Jacky Chun. The kanji for this attack are狂拳/Kyou-ken, with kyou meaning crazy or mad, and ken literally meaning fist, but also meaning any sort of attack or technique. So essentially it’s the “Crazy Attack”. However, the name is also a homonym for 狂犬/Kyouken, “mad dog”, and so the attack really consists of Goku acting like one. In the manga, Jacky Chun yells at Goku for mixing up his kanji like this. This sequence was left out of the anime, perhaps because such writing-based humor didn’t translate well into the spoken word.

Bankoku-Bikkuri-Sho
Jacky Chun’s electricity technique. It’s most likely a pun on the Bankoku Bikkuri Show (万国びっくりショー ; “International Surprise Show”), a variety program broadcast on Fuji TV beginning in 1967. For the attack name, the ban part is written with an alternate version of the regular kanji for it, while bikkuri is written out in kanji in a way it wouldn’t usually be (it’s pretty much always written in hiragana), and shou is written out with the kanji for the palm of the hand, so the attack name would basically translate to “International Surprise Palm” (which makes a sort of sense, in as much as Jacky shoots the attack from the palm of his hands).
Source Spelling: 万国びっくりショー /Bankoku Bikkuri Shou
Name Spelling: 萬国驚天掌/Bankoku Bikkuri Shou

Aku-Mite Beam
Akkuman’s signature attack. Probably comes from combining akuma, “devil”, with “dynamite”.
Source Spelling: 悪魔/akuma + ダイナマイト/dainamaito
Name Spelling: アクマイト光線/Akumaito-Kousen

Gyarick Cannon
Probably a pun on “garlic”.
Source Spelling: ガーリック/gaarikku
Name Spelling: ギャリック砲 /Gyarikku-Hou

Dragonballs and Evil Dragons
Like Shenlong himself, the individual dragonballs are named in Chinese, not Japanese. Their names correspond to the number of stars in them, so that each name ends in “star ball”, 星球, xin qiu in Chinese, approximated shin chuu in Japanese (as opposed to seikyuu, which is how the kanji would normally be read in Japanese). The 4-star ball, for instance, is 四星球/Si Xing Qiu(approximated as スーシンチュウ/Suu Shin Chuu in Japanese). I know close to nothing about Chinese, so I pretty much just shamelessly stole this information from this Daizenshuu EX page.

1-Star Ball: 一星球(イーシンチュウ/Ii Shin Chuu): Yi Xing Qiu
2-Star Ball: 二星球(アルシンチュウ/Aru Shin Chuu): Er Xing Qiu
3-Star Ball: 三星球(サンシンチュウ/San Shin Chuu): San Xing Qiu
4-Star Ball: 四星球(スーシンチュウ/Suu Shin Chuu): Si Xing Qiu
5-Star Ball: 五星球(ウーシンチュウ/Uu Shin Chuu): Wu Xing Qiu
6-Star Ball: 六星球(リュウシンチュウ/Ryuu Shin Chuu): Liu Xing Qiu
7-Star Ball: 七星球(チーシンチュウ/Chii Shin Chuu): Qi Xing Qiu

In GT, for whatever reason the name of the 2-star ball was changed to “Liang Xin Qiu”, which isn’t exactly correct, meaning “pair” rather than “two”. This also applies to the name of the corresponding evil dragon.

Speaking of evil dragons, this group of GT villains is named pretty much the same as their equivalent dragonballs, only with “ball” replaced by “dragon” (long in Chinese, approximated ron in Japanese, rather than the usual Japanese word for dragon, ryuu). So their names mean “1-Star Dragon”, “2-Star Dragon”, like so:

1-Star Dragon: 一星龍(イーシンロン/Ii Shin Ron): Yi Xing Long
2-Star Dragon: 二星龍(リャンシンロン/Ryan Shin Ron ): Liang Xing Long
3-Star Dragon: 三星龍(サンシンロン/San Shin Ron): San Xing Long
4-Star Dragon: 四星龍(スーシンロン/Suu Shin Ron): Si Xing Long
5-Star Dragon: 五星龍(ウーシンロン/Uu Shin Ron): Wu Xing Long
6-Star Dragon: 六星龍(リュウシンロン/Ryuu Shin Ron): Liu Xing Long
7-Star Dragon: 七星龍(チーシンロン/Chii Shin Ron ): Qi Xing Long

Fused Characters

Gotenks
Goten + Trunks
Source Spelling: 孫悟天/Son Goten +トランクス/Torankusu
Name Spelling: ゴテンクス/Gotenkusu

Vegetto
Vegeta + Kakarotto
Source Spelling: ベジータ/Bejiita + カカロット/Kakarotto
Name Spelling: ベジット/Bejitto

Gogeta
Goku + Vegeta
Source Spelling: 孫悟空/Son Gokuu + ベジータ/Bejiita
Name Spelling: ゴジータ/Gojiita

Yamhan
The fusion of Yamcha and Tenshinhan who appears in the video games.
Source Spelling: ヤムチャ/Yamucha + 天津飯/Tenshinhan
Name Spelling: ヤム飯/Yamuhan

Piririn
The fusion of Piccolo and Kuririn, drawn by Toriyama for a special Weekly Jump “make your own fusion” contest.
Source Spelling: ピッコロ/Pikkoro + クリリン/Kuririn
Name Spelling: ピリリン/Piririn
Last edited by Herms on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 pm

I love that you use "Tsufruians". :D

Some corrections:

In contrast to the Saiyans, who are named for fruits, they are named after “fruits”.
-Should be vegetables.

Also, is it possible for dama to mean bomb? In Mother 3, there are bomb-type items called [something] dama (written だま). Tomato translated the dama as bomb, but maybe that's just 'cause it made more sense. The reason I thought of this is because of FUNi's translation being Spirit Bomb.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I love that you use "Tsufruians". :D
I actually just started doing that. Previously I've used "Tsufuru", which I guess would make sense if I used "Saiya" for the vegetable people, but since I use "Saiyan", I figured now was the time to start being internally consistent. So now all I have to do it fix the other zillion inconsistencies in my personal DB naming scheme.
In contrast to the Saiyans, who are named for fruits, they are named after “fruits”.
-Should be vegetables.
D'oh! Fixed now.
Also, is it possible for dama to mean bomb? In Mother 3, there are bomb-type items called [something] dama (written だま). Tomato translated the dama as bomb, but maybe that's just 'cause it made more sense. The reason I thought of this is because of FUNi's translation being Spirit Bomb.
Sounds like that'd be a rendaku reading of 弾/tama, "bullet". As far as I know that meaning doesn't apply for the kanji used for the Genki-Dama's name, 玉. Maybe that is what Funi were thinking of when they used the name "Spirit Bomb" though.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Not only is it the fruit equivalent of Saiyans, but it's fun to say! :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I mean, there has to be some reason for changing it to bomb, right? Well, it is FUNi, I guess.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:03 am

Nice addition Herms!

I thought that "Bankoku Bikkuri Sho" translated to "International Surprise Attack" before you wrote this, so thanks!

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Is there any reason for "Olibue" rather Olibu, Olivu, etc?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Is there any reason for "Olibue" rather Olibu, Olivu, etc?
I don't know, I guess he put an "e" at the end to make it closer to the pun. He should've put it as "Olivue" to make it closer to the pun though.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.