Stories of Straight up DBZ Fanatics

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Golden Lockhart

Stories of Straight up DBZ Fanatics

Post by Golden Lockhart » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 pm

There are DBZ Fans. Then there are DBZ fans who get a little carried away with their favorite show. I'm talking about those who actually incorperate the show into their everyday lives. Don't know what I mean? I have two tales (not mine) that I have found on the internet.

One involved a bully and a Boy at school. Now, something had happened to caox the Boy to tell the Bully that "He would send a Kamehameha wave his way" if he didn't leave him alone.

Later at lunch, the bully saw the boy enter the lunchroom so he shouted "Look! There's the boy who's in love with Dragonball z!" or something to that effect.

The Boy had enough so it was time to attack. He got up on the table, went down to the bully's end and called himself doing a solar flare and then the kamehameha. The boy won the battle in a way when he thrust out his hands, he broke the dude's nose.

The other tale is about another Boy who was being picked on. Only, he was actually in a fight with his bully. Well, he was beat pretty bad and they thought this was over. Not likely.

The Boy got up and screamed "Kaiokeeeen!" at the top of his lungs and took out his adversary in about three punches. Someone said that it was the adrenaline rush that helped.

I am really intersted in hearing more stories of DBZ (no offense) geeks who gets carried away with their favorite show. If anyone does have another story like this, please post them up.

Amazing how both poeple won.
I am the Author of the things never happening!
I am the writer of constant self insertion!
I am...
GOLDEN LOCKHART!!!

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

I may be obsessed with DBZ, but I don't do these sort of things. This reminds me of the kid who drowned in the ocean because he was looking for SpongeBob. :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:09 am

Bomber Greek wrote:I may be obsessed with DBZ, but I don't do these sort of things. This reminds me of the kid who drowned in the ocean because he was looking for SpongeBob. :P

Please tell me that last part about the kid isn't true. :shock:
I'm pretty sure it would've been in the news if a child had died "looking for Spongebob", right?

As for being OT, I must live somewhere where such behavior is rare. The most I saw was back in high school during my TV class where a bunch of guys tried to film a dbz-style martial arts battle between themselves. It was amusing to watch.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 am

I know the fusion dance, and I "fused" with my brother once.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:09 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:I know the fusion dance, and I "fused" with my brother once.
I think every Dbz fan has tried that at least once.

And in my case, twice.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:20 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:I know the fusion dance, and I "fused" with my brother once.
Ew. I know what you mean, but I've been watching 'Ouran High School Host Club' and I'm prone to imaging gay-twin-incest now. So, "ew".

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 am

Golden Lockhart wrote:There are DBZ Fans. Then there are DBZ fans who get a little carried away with their favorite show. I'm talking about those who actually incorperate the show into their everyday lives.
We had some pretty deep stuff from kenisu3000 back in 2006. I hope he's okay now... :(
kenisu3000 wrote:If you haven't realized this by now, I suffer from depression. BADLY. I've always been the social outcast, and the guy who always has to watch on as all of his friends get married and leave him behind (NOW do you realize why Kuririn is my favorite character?). I still go to get-togethers with my friends, but even when I do, I get that "socially dejected" feeling, and always end up wandering around alone several yards away as I let my feelings of anger and even hatred swell up inside of me. My mind is photographic, and when I find myself in these situations, the one image that keeps coming to my mind over and over is the cartoon caricature of myself screaming in a VERY DBZ-esque style (i.e. when a character is going off the deep end and transforming). Yes, DBZ has influenced me greatly in not only my artwork, but the very way I think.
kenisu3000 wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:I do think that Ricochet made a good suggestion about talking to your reverend/pastor, whoever is the spiritual leader of your church if this is such an issue for you. It may not seem important to everyone else here but it *is* to you and that's what counts. Plus they're better qualified to counsel you on this matter than your friends.
Yeah. I've actually spoken to my church leader(s) many a time on this, but having never been addicted to an anime series themselves, they just tell me "well, if it bothers you that much, why don't you just quit watching it?" And then I gawk at them, and sometimes, I've actually laughed out loud. Quit? Are you kidding? I have become DragonBall. Or something like that.
kenisu3000 wrote:Every time I tell somebody, anybody, that I have this dark, dirty little secret, they expect something absolutely heinous, and then I tell them I'm a DragonBall fan, and they just laugh in my face and take it for a joke, even though I wasn't kidding. DragonBall has got to be my guiltiest pleasure, and indeed I do feel guilt for watching it.
Thread
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 am

Chuquita wrote:Please tell me that last part about the kid isn't true. :shock:
I'm pretty sure it would've been in the news if a child had died "looking for Spongebob", right?
a lot of people I know have hear about it. Maybe it's just an urban legend, but I've heard that they took Spongebob off the air for like, a week. :P

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:35 am

Bomber Greek wrote:
a lot of people I know have hear about it. Maybe it's just an urban legend, but I've heard that they took Spongebob off the air for like, a week. :P
Probably an urban legend just like the kid who fell into a sewer and died while looking for ninja turtles.

Also, I heard the story about the kid screaming Kaioken and then winning his fight way back in like '99. Apparently the guy who told us (in a chat room at the time) was actually there. I'm pretty sure it's just an urban legend too.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:55 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Ew. I know what you mean, but I've been watching 'Ouran High School Host Club' and I'm prone to imaging gay-twin-incest now. So, "ew".
I was hesitating to put "And I don't mean in a sexual way, either" at the bottom.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:
Ya that one just screams "urban legend" to me. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Bomber Greek wrote:
Ya that one just screams "urban legend" to me. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
Considering that Watching Spongebob kills a million brain cells per second, I doubt it. That's highly possible as true. And I remember hearing something about it too. I think, maybe, on the news, but I'm not certain and could be completely wrong. >>
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Steven Perry wrote:We had some pretty deep stuff from kenisu3000 back in 2006. I hope he's okay now... :(
Oh, I'm doing loads better, thanks for the concern! I have had a couple of moments since then, where my depression was at its worst (most notably a couple of months ago when a girl I was so close to getting into a relationship with went for The Other Guy instead... same old story really, but at a deeper level), but for the most part, I'm taking life in my stride now. I'm going back to college this Fall with a renewed sense of wanting to do things right this time, so I'd say things are finally looking up.

Er... enough about me. I wish I had more to give to this thread than an off-topic "I'm OK now", but I haven't really heard any stories of off-the-wall fans doing crazy things to prove their DB devotion... unless, of course, you count me (ugh, back to me again) investing goodness knows how many thousands of dollars in DB merchandise, including a couple of Daizenshuu I bought for $100+ each.

EDIT: Oh. Yeah. And the BGM Documentation. That's become such an integral part of my life now that I had forgotten how insane it is. :)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Golden Lockhart

Post by Golden Lockhart » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:I may be obsessed with DBZ, but I don't do these sort of things. This reminds me of the kid who drowned in the ocean because he was looking for SpongeBob. :P
Yeah. That just screams urban legend. But, who knows? It may be true like that one tale of a chap who's killed himself because he lost in a video game. It was on the news like in 2000/2001
I am the Author of the things never happening!
I am the writer of constant self insertion!
I am...
GOLDEN LOCKHART!!!

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Golden Lockhart wrote:
Yeah. That just screams urban legend. But, who knows? It may be true like that one tale of a chap who's killed himself because he lost in a video game. It was on the news like in 2000/2001
I remember the Urban Legend where a 12 year old killed himself after his teacher took away his Pokemon cards.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Magica wrote:
Golden Lockhart wrote:
I remember the Urban Legend where a 12 year old killed himself after his teacher took away his Pokemon cards.
I could see that happening if the rest of the person's life was unbearably sad and meaningless. Like, if he'd lost everything of meaning, and those cards were the last symbol of anything of value in his life.
... Though if Pokemon cards became the only thing of meaning in life, most people would kill themselves before getting them taken away.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:07 pm

Dragonball was an inspiration in a fight I had with a bully (Must have been around 99 near the end of middle school and around Goku VS Vegeta fight).

Anywho I was bullied at school pretty bad even towards the end of my school life and I was in a fight with a bully surrounded by people chanting the words "Fight" and basically I was getting the shit kicked out of me.

Then the adrenaline kicked in (it felt like some hidden power had rose to the surface when I needed it most) and I fought back with everything I had and busted his nose and smashed up his face.

Then the teachers came and separated us (I was shaking at the power that arose and started to believe that perhaps I could become strong like Gohan)

and the best part was I didn't get in trouble (the teachers knew that he had been giving me grief and let me off easy)

After that he never picked on me but i was still a social outcast and pretty much always have been.

KAIO-KEN!!!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Re: Stories of Straight up DBZ Fanatics

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 pm

The Boy got up and screamed "Kaiokeeeen!" at the top of his lungs and took out his adversary in about three punches. Someone said that it was the adrenaline rush that helped.
HAHA! The exact same thing happened in my high school way back when! XD

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 pm

The only thing even close to that I ever came in contact with, would be my own doing, when in high school, I looked at the years in High School as a "super saiyan powerup" (ie freshman year SSJ, Sophopmore SSJ2, ect) - I was REALLY hyper into DBZ at the time (1997-2001) so it controlled pretty much how I looked at many things. Can't say I've ever fought with DBZ names or known anyone who has, I've done a "mock" kamehameha several times though with friends and colleagues at a toystore I worked at for 2 years.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Well, if ever I need a little extra strength or speed for some random task, I find that it doesn't hurt to yell "KAIOKEN!" every now and then. Whether or not it helps... umm... plecebo effect? :)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).