"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Since Monaca was stated by Beerus to be the strongest guy in the universe, I had no doubts he was going to be the captain.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Hot Rod
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hot Rod » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:09 pm

But it is strange, Beerus said Monaka was stronger when Goku was Super Saiyan God. So that means that even after the whole training with Wiss, after having access to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and even after the battle against Golden Freeza... Goku and Vegeta are still weaker than him? That is odd indeed. Which also leads me to think Monaka's power is comparable to that of Beerus... (or perhaps beyond...?)

I wonder what would happen if Monaka train with Wiss.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Whis said that Monaka could give Beerus trouble, so yes, it's comparable to Beerus'.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:27 pm

raulvalente wrote:So, we're getting a new ED in the next episode, right? And I think it's right to assume that in Episode #28 we're getting some changes in the opening theme :thumbup:
Gosh, I hope so, but historically Dragonball rarely alters the OP theme. Freeza will probably be swapped out for more U6 characters, at least.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
raulvalente wrote:So, we're getting a new ED in the next episode, right? And I think it's right to assume that in Episode #28 we're getting some changes in the opening theme :thumbup:
Gosh, I hope so, but historically Dragonball rarely alters the OP theme. Freeza will probably be swapped out for more U6 characters, at least.
Yeah, by changes I meant putting some new frames in the OP we have, like the changes we got for RoF. :D

rolmanus

Post by rolmanus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:38 pm

What the hell does a captain even do in this tournament? Also, i thought Beerus and Champa were the captains. :D

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:26 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Episode 29's title is...a lot of goddamn kanji o_O Well, I'm committed to doing this now, so...something along the lines of a meeting being held to decide details about the tournament, but I can't think of a phrasing that isn't extremely awkward :/ "A Meeting to Determine the Match! The Captain is a Guy Even Stronger Than Gokuu" (Ugh, I really hate how that sounds...someone, please come up with better phrasing!)
I'd go more with "Hold a Fighting Match to Decide! The Captain's a Guy Stronger Than Goku". The first part is hinting at the fact that they're holding a tournament in order to decide the fate of Earth, and 格闘試合 (kakutō shiai) literally means "hand-to-hand fighting match". Otherwise the rest look good to me. Oh, I went with "The 6th Universe's God of Destruction — His Name's Champa" for episode 28, for what it's worth (I know, it's virtually the same thing).
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Hujio wrote:I'd go more with "Hold a Fighting Match to Decide! The Captain's a Guy Stronger Than Goku".
Would "Holding a Decisive Fighting Match!" still make sense? Rolls off a bit better. Do we even need "fighting"?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Hujio wrote:I'd go more with "Hold a Fighting Match to Decide! The Captain's a Guy Stronger Than Goku".
Would "Holding a Decisive Fighting Match!" still make sense? Rolls off a bit better. Do we even need "fighting"?
Given the context we have from the chapter material, and how it's written here, I'd say it doesn't make as much sense. They're holding a match specifically to determine Earth's fate, not so much that it in itself is decisive at that point. The way it's written is 決定 (kettei; decision or determination), not the way we normally see "decisive battle" written (決戦; kessen). I guess I could change "match" to "contest" though, so it doesn't sound so repetitive.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Isn't 決定 put at the end of a sentence to establish that something has already been decided? So, in this context, the holding of a fighting match is decided!

If it was supposed to be a "decisive match", it should be 決定の格闘試合 or 決定的な格闘試合. Oh well, not a big deal really :D

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Yeah, that's a good point. So I'd go with "It’s Decided: Hold a Fighting Contest!", or something like that.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm

rolmanus wrote:What the hell does a captain even do in this tournament? Also, i thought Beerus and Champa were the captains. :D
The captain is the head of the team. Once he's defeated, it's over.

It was stated since the beginning that Champa and Beerus wouldn't fight, so they couldn't be the captains.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:07 pm

How does that work though... go till you lose and then someone else on your team takes your place until your captain finally fights, or is it going to be winner of 3 wins? So confused, and curious how Toriyama's going to do it.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Herms has been saying since the beginning that the tournament is implied to be set up like the one at Uranai Baba's place.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Hujio wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. So I'd go with "It’s Decided: Hold a Fighting Contest!", or something like that.
Sounds better than mine ^_^ I think the issue with the title in Japanese that's making it a pain to translate is that there're no verbs or particles, making it tough to decide the order of the words. Just a loooong string of kanji that made me double take when I saw it (but once I stepped back and picked out the pieces I immediately recognized, it wasn't so bad)

As for the discussion on the role of the captain...I'd assume that the captain would be the final fighter on each team, so if it's the "fight until you lose" format like the Uranai Baba tournament, the team would lose when all of their members have been defeated.

Perhaps the captain also has the responsibility to decide his entire team's fighting order? If a team captain were overly cocky, he could say, "I'll go first and take them all down!" But I'm not sure that would happen in this tournament, since they probably want to show as many different characters fighting as possible.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Sounds like we're getting a nice bit of in between before getting into the meat, sounds good to me.
So we're going to go the entire F arc without any Yamamuro, that's a shame. The lack of a Tate episode during the entirety of the combat part of the arc is also super weird.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:22 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Episode 30 has no title decided yet. Beerus heads out to search for the rest of his team members. He goes to visit Monaka, the strongest guy he's ever fought before, but...
...a powerful opponent appears? Hopefully something among these lines happens so we get to see a small preview/tease of Monaka's power and fighting style before the tounament begins.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:47 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Sounds like we're getting a nice bit of in between before getting into the meat, sounds good to me.
So we're going to go the entire F arc without any Yamamuro, that's a shame. The lack of a Tate episode during the entirety of the combat part of the arc is also super weird.
Considering he just recently did the movie he's probably burnt out on it, unsurprisingly. It is a shame his episode on BoG arc was probably one of the best episodes.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:
sailorspazz wrote: Episode 30 has no title decided yet. Beerus heads out to search for the rest of his team members. He goes to visit Monaka, the strongest guy he's ever fought before, but...
...a powerful opponent appears? Hopefully something among these lines happens so we get to see a small preview/tease of Monaka's power and fighting style before the tounament begins.
I could see that, there could be some alien that comes to threaten his world and we get a brief tease of Monaka's power as he quickly takes out this baddie. Hopefully Goku and the gang aren't with Beerus when he goes to get Monaka, I want their reactions to his strength to be from when he fights in the tournament.

What I hope for most is in this in between time we get to see something of Buu and Piccolo getting stronger, I really don't want the inserted detail of the "Namekian Book of Legends" back in the BoG arc to have been for nothing.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Isn't 決定 put at the end of a sentence to establish that something has already been decided? So, in this context, the holding of a fighting match is decided!

If it was supposed to be a "decisive match", it should be 決定の格闘試合 or 決定的な格闘試合. Oh well, not a big deal really :D
Yes, that's correct. "Decisive match" or "match to decide" makes no sense here, grammar-wise.
Retan wrote:How does that work though... go till you lose and then someone else on your team takes your place until your captain finally fights, or is it going to be winner of 3 wins? So confused, and curious how Toriyama's going to do it.
The term used for "captain" in the manga is 大将/taishou, which in the context of sports means specifically an "athlete who competes in the last match of a team competition" (in the episode title it's 主将/shushou, meaning a sports team captain). So presumably each team captain will only fight once all their other team members have been defeated, and so by extension a team captain's defeat means the defeat of their entire team. This sort of set-up is apparently common in sports like Kendo. The "Scramble for the Throne" tournament in the Kinnikuman series is set up like this, and in DB Urana Baba's tournament works basically the same way as well.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.