"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Wow, if Vegeta wins 3 in a row....I don't remember him having luck this strong since the early Freeza arc.

I can't help thinking it's gotta catch up to him at some point though and when it does it'll be messy.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Chuquita wrote:Wow, if Vegeta wins 3 in a row....I don't remember him having luck this strong since the early Freeza arc.

I can't help thinking it's gotta catch up to him at some point though and when it does it'll be messy.
Exactly, Vegeta is known for receiving big beatdowns and I think Hit will give him one to balance it out and if Hit does it will be so good.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm

sintzu wrote:These types of anime don't have a set number, they go on as long as the merchandise is selling.
How would that work exactly? I could understand that working for GT since I believe Toei had full creative control and could end it at any time. This time around, Toriyama is mainly writing the story so a lot of its success depends on his participation. Even if sales were great, that doesn't necessarily mean that Toriyama plans to continue writing for a few years. If it was just about merchandise sales then that might imply Toei could demand that Toriyama continues writing another saga or stops when the sales decline. I think it might be a combination of both strong sales and Toriyama's interest. For example, the Buu saga was a success but that didn't change Toriyama's decision to end the series there. That might be the main reason why Toei isn't sure how long the series is going to last for since Toriyama hasn't really decided either.

Personally I think Super will be longer than GT but shorter than Dragonball or Kai so less than ~150. I can't imagine Toriyama providing more content now than he did in several hundred chapters back then. Dragonball was 194 chapters into 153 episodes and DBZ Kai was 325 chapters translated into 159 episodes. It would also depend how much extra content Toei would add on their own but I think the pacing would still remain better than DBZ since they're not waiting for a weekly manga.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Skar wrote:
sintzu wrote:These types of anime don't have a set number, they go on as long as the merchandise is selling.
How would that work exactly? I could understand that working for GT since I believe Toei had full creative control and could end it at any time. This time around, Toriyama is mainly writing the story so a lot of its success depends on his participation. Even if sales were great, that doesn't necessarily mean that Toriyama plans to continue writing for a few years. If it was just about merchandise sales then that might imply Toei could demand that Toriyama continues writing another saga or stops when the sales decline. I think it might be a combination of both strong sales and Toriyama's interest. For example, the Buu saga was a success but that didn't change Toriyama's decision to end the series there. That might be the main reason why Toei isn't sure how long the series is going to last for since Toriyama hasn't really decided either.

Personally I think Super will be longer than GT but shorter than Dragonball or Kai so less than ~150. I can't imagine Toriyama providing more content now than he did in several hundred chapters back then. Dragonball was 194 chapters into 153 episodes and DBZ Kai was 325 chapters translated into 159 episodes. It would also depend how much extra content Toei would add on their own but I think the pacing would still remain better than DBZ since they're not waiting for a weekly manga.
They can continue even if Mr.Toriyama doesn't provide more content, they did it once with GT. Squeezing the brand till it dries. I honestly doubt Toei can demand anything from him, besides what he signed up for.
I don't know how long it will last, but I believe the hectic weekly schedule was a big part of why Dragon Ball ended before. Now Mr.Toriyama seems to have regained his motivation and joy to write more stories, with a more relaxed work load. Which bodes well for a possible long running series.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Poor guy was creating weekly content for 16 years, he deserved a break. And he considers himself lazy :D

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Wow, if Vegeta wins 3 in a row....I don't remember him having luck this strong since the early Freeza arc.

Exactly, Vegeta is known for receiving big beatdowns and I think Hit will give him one to balance it out and if Hit does it will be so good.
Not 100% on topic, but something that bothers me is how a lot of people i see say when Vegeta messes up its because Akira Toriyama but when other characters do it's because of the character.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 pm

kinisking wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Not 100% on topic, but something that bothers me is how a lot of people i see say when Vegeta messes up its because Akira Toriyama but when other characters do it's because of the character.
They say the same with Gohan too tbh

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:21 pm

They say the same with Gohan too tbh
I'll admit they blame Akira Toriyama for him not training, but I'm talking about in battle decisions. I've seen a lot of people saying that Vegeta should have killed cell,boo or golden Freeza but didn't because Akira hates him. I've also seen a lot of people criticize Gohan for losing to Super Boo and saying he should have learnt from Cell (although it was completely different situations. During Cell, he wanted to torture him. While with Boo he hesitantly let the next generation have a chance at fighting and it backfired.). Although at the end of the day, it's just what Akira thinks is best for the plot in every situation. There might be people out there doing what you described, but I haven't seen them for Gohan outside of his decision to stop training the second time. I have seen a lot of Vegeta ones though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Vegeta is getting the 3rd win. Can't wait!!!
"Vegeta continues his winning streak" only refers to him defeating Frost and Magetta back-to-back. That's why it says that, then moves on to mentioning that he's fighting Cabba "next". It's not saying he's going to defeat Cabba; these previews never give away the episode's ending like that.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:15 am

Herms wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Vegeta is getting the 3rd win. Can't wait!!!
"Vegeta continues his winning streak" only refers to him defeating Frost and Magetta back-to-back. That's why it says that, then moves on to mentioning that he's fighting Cabba "next". It's not saying he's going to defeat Cabba; these previews never give away the episode's ending like that.
I know, i just think he will defeat Cabba, thats all.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:34 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I know, i just think he will defeat Cabba, thats all.
He'll probably win the battle but might get disqualified due to gods not being allowed to take part in the tournament.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 am

sintzu wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:I know, i just think he will defeat Cabba, thats all.
He'll probably win the battle but might get disqualified due to gods not being allowed to take part in the tournament.
Would Vegeta even accept that kind of disqualification ? I mean they never said that Gods aren't allowed.If he will be disqualified.I can only imagine what will Beerus and Vegeta's reaction.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:56 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote: Would Vegeta even accept that kind of disqualification ?

I can only imagine what will Beerus and Vegeta's reaction.
If Beerus agrees to it then he'll have to but I doubt he's going to let that cry baby get his way again.

We see Beerus and Champa arguing in the preview so that might be why.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:02 am

I hope he does get disqualified or he quits or something after beating Cabba.

Monaca and Hit's first fight should be against each other.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 am

Bullza wrote:Monaca and Hit's first fight should be against each other.
Even if Vegeta doesn't fight him for whatever reason, Goku will cause Beerus won't allow him to go after Monaka.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 am

My guess is Vegeta will get disqualified.But Hit will say it's okay and remove the disqualification so he can fight him (Like the Frost thing).Hit will probably wreck Goku and Vegeta before hitting a brick wall at Monaka.
Bullza wrote:I hope he does get disqualified or he quits or something after beating Cabba.

Monaca and Hit's first fight should be against each other.
There is Goku who will fight before Monaka,

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:12 am

Meh I still think they'll probably change that.

Goku will probably be ready to step in and then Monaca will come out of his meditation and it'll require that he fights right now.

Goku vs Hit should be the final battle.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:23 am

Not necessarily. I still see the possibility of the tournament being interrupted in modern Dragon Ball fashion. Running on both the assumption that Hit will be the final battle and Monaka is as uncontrollable as Whis claims he is in the Super manga, there might be an event where our cast has to deal with both of them causing havoc. Hopefully in this scenario we see the return of team battles.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:30 am

Nejishiki wrote:Not necessarily. I still see the possibility of the tournament being interrupted in modern Dragon Ball fashion. Running on both the assumption that Hit will be the final battle and Monaka is as uncontrollable as Whis claims he is in the Super manga, there might be an event where our cast has to deal with both of them causing havoc. Hopefully in this scenario we see the return of team battles.
For awhile I thought the tournament would get interrupted for sure, but now I'm getting the feeling that Hit won't actually be a villain and this tournament will end normally with Universe 6 winning as a set up for future arcs taking place in Universe 6. It'd be cool to see some new main cast members, Cabba would absolutely join and if Hit isn't evil he could be the new "Quiet badass".
We should know if just a few weeks!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:Not necessarily. I still see the possibility of the tournament being interrupted in modern Dragon Ball fashion. Running on both the assumption that Hit will be the final battle and Monaka is as uncontrollable as Whis claims he is in the Super manga, there might be an event where our cast has to deal with both of them causing havoc. Hopefully in this scenario we see the return of team battles.
For awhile I thought the tournament would get interrupted for sure, but now I'm getting the feeling that Hit won't actually be a villain and this tournament will end normally with Universe 6 winning as a set up for future arcs taking place in Universe 6. It'd be cool to see some new main cast members, Cabba would absolutely join and if Hit isn't evil he could be the new "Quiet badass".
We should know if just a few weeks!
I have always thought the tournament would not get interupted and that Hit is a good guy who will help them when they go to universe 6 as I think universe 6 win. I also now think Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Jaco, Bulma and Cabba (who is Gohan's replacement) will be the main cast in the next arc when they go and find the last Super Dragonball if they do go looking for it.