Any audiophiles on here?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Clayton

Any audiophiles on here?

Post by Clayton » Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 pm

I've done lots of research about the series and it looks like Toei threw away the master tapes, which is upsetting. I don't even think Columbia released every BGM piece that they should of. But for the folks who have access to the highest quality BGM, what kind of system do you use or recommend? :think:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Any audiophiles on here?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Absolutely! Take a search around for "broadcast audio"-related threads here in the general section, and any of the longer BGM-related threads in the music section. You're heading down a deep rabbit hole!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Clayton wrote:I've done lots of research about the series and it looks like Toei threw away the master tapes, which is upsetting. I don't even think Columbia released every BGM piece that they should of. But for the folks who have access to the highest quality BGM, what kind of system do you use or recommend? :think:
The person you want to talk to is Kei17 (just don't ask for the broadcast audio, as it seems there were too many requests for it). Kei is probably the biggest audio expert on this forum, and was the one who revealed to me--and a lot of other Kanzenshuuers, I'm sure--that there was even such a thing as "the original broadcast audio." For many years, I thought the audio I heard on FUNimation's DVDs was just how the show sounded.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu May 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Clayton wrote:I've done lots of research about the series and it looks like Toei threw away the master tapes, which is upsetting. I don't even think Columbia released every BGM piece that they should of. But for the folks who have access to the highest quality BGM, what kind of system do you use or recommend? :think:
I just recently acquired a new system that was years in the making. The Altec Lansing 620 with the 604-8H, Series III duplex. The units are MC7300, C38, and D100. Occasionally, I'll be listening to DBZ music/BGM pieces. Hopefully Columbia will release the rest of them..

My review: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... ty.716559/

YouTube DBZ BGM #M706: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIIUoAch-Y

Here are some photos:

My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Paging Kei17...

...Because the TAVAC recording studio no longer exists, what happened to the mono (partially stereo) masters of the pieces of music used for the TV show and films, which are still on 3/4 reel form?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

DB1984 wrote:...Because the TAVAC recording studio no longer exists...
I apologize in advance for not knowing what (I gather) is old news, but...they closed TAVAC down? When?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 19, 2016 4:24 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I apologize in advance for not knowing what (I gather) is old news, but...they closed TAVAC down? When?
Very beginning of Super's production. The new studio is Sound Inn located in Chiyoda.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I apologize in advance for not knowing what (I gather) is old news, but...they closed TAVAC down? When?
Very beginning of Super's production. The new studio is Sound Inn located in Chiyoda.
Ah man, that's a slight bummer...I mean, it's not like any particular show must be recorded in any one specific studio, but it's sort of the end of an era, and not just for Dragon Ball. Although, from doing some research, it appears that the structural integrity of the building in an earthquake was a concern...as somebody who lives in earthquake-prone California, I can't say I blame them.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu May 19, 2016 6:10 pm

DB1984 wrote:Because the TAVAC recording studio no longer exists (...)
Website is still up: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tavac/
Address was changed from:

〒169-0074
東京都新宿区北新宿1-5-2

to:

〒178-0063
東京都練馬区東大泉2丁目11番32号

Are you sure that it does not exist?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 am

Yeah, the original TAVAC studio was closed in September 2015 due to structural integrity concerns after the earthquakes hit. I didn't realize it myself until this last January when I was researching some updated information for the production guide.
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Are you sure that it does not exist?
TAVAC the company does still exist and works on various Toei projects, including Dragon Ball Super, but TAVAC themselves no longer have a recording studio. They now coordinate recordings with Sound Inn studio or the Toei Digital Center.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I just recently acquired a new system that was years in the making. The Altec Lansing 620 with the 604-8H, Series III duplex. The units are MC7300, C38, and D100. Occasionally, I'll be listening to DBZ music/BGM pieces. Hopefully Columbia will release the rest of them..

YouTube DBZ BGM #M706: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIIUoAch-Y
Wow, Maakuo, those are BEAUTIFUL speakers and equipment. I'll never have the chance to own something so high end.. :cry:

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:54 am

This is what I am using at the time:

Everybody talks about original broadcast audio and its quality... But what is the equipment you want to use to listen to it? Share some photos here! I'm realy curious what do you use to listen to Dragon Ball related stuff.

(I know that this topic is old, but it's not THAT old and all the people who wrote here are still active today. I figured out that it does not make any sense to start another identical topic)

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:10 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
I just recently acquired a new system that was years in the making. The Altec Lansing 620 with the 604-8H, Series III duplex. The units are MC7300, C38, and D100. Occasionally, I'll be listening to DBZ music/BGM pieces. Hopefully Columbia will release the rest of them..

*snip*
Beautiful set up! I would just sit there for hours and listen to some of the crystal clear background music.

PS: I cried when I saw your Frontiers LP framed up on your wall. Congrats on being my new favorite forum member! :D

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm fanatically obsessed with Shun Kikuchi's BGMs but I'm no audiophile.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:27 am

floofychan333 wrote:I'm fanatically obsessed with Shun Kikuchi's BGMs but I'm no audiophile.
You don't need to be. I'm also not an audiophile - I'm way too tolerant :)Audio enthusiast” is a better word to describe me.
Tell us what is the gear you use to listen to Kikuchi score!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I'm fanatically obsessed with Shun Kikuchi's BGMs but I'm no audiophile.
You don't need to be. I'm also not an audiophile - I'm way too tolerant :)Audio enthusiast” is a better word to describe me.
Tell us what is the gear you use to listen to Kikuchi score!
There's an awesome YouTuber called Mugiwalarge that has uploaded the majority of Kikuchi's Dragon Ball/Z BGMs and some One Piece BGMs too if you like that stuff.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu