Episode #0067 (04 March 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Brakus wrote:Your cracking jokes at the person who eventually won the Big Orange Brick and suggesting that when they get it they destroy it and make a video of that was just pretty childish and intolerant. This is 2007, and people should be allowed to watch whatever series they want, however they want. I know you've made suggestions as to how it should be seen and all that, but as FUNimation has demonstrated time and again with DBZ, we can't get it easily. So we make do.

Instead of setting the Big Orange Box on fire and putting a video of it on YouTube, the winner should do something a little more productive with it if they're not going to keep it. Give it to someone as a (re-)gift, donate it, get cash back by going to their local Suncoast or FYE, or resell it on Ebay. Something like that so that this thing doesn't truly go to waste. And after all, it still has the original Japanese dub and Steve Simmons' subtitles, so there's some value to it right there.
Garbage should be treated like garbage. That's how I see it.

Anyway, good manga discussion. The Boss Rabbit stuff was kind of new to me since I've never read or seen that part of the series before. My email was read again and I must say I'm really looking foward to that Buu episode.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm

That's true in some cases, but ever heard the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure?" Several people DID enjoy the set for what it was, but does that automatically make their view on the subject invalid?

Regarding the Bansho-fan, yeah that was it's official english name. In the US release of Super DBZ, Chichi's use of it was called "Banana Fan". I didn't understand that at first, although its translation sheds the light for me a little bit.

I greatly look forward to the Buu voice analysis episode. I listened to the Cell episode several times, and now it's become one of my favs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Brakus wrote:Your cracking jokes at the person who eventually won the Big Orange Brick and suggesting that when they get it they destroy it and make a video of that was just pretty childish and intolerant. This is 2007, and people should be allowed to watch whatever series they want, however they want. I know you've made suggestions as to how it should be seen and all that, but as FUNimation has demonstrated time and again with DBZ, we can't get it easily. So we make do.
I'm counting, right now. Approximately 50% of the entries literally say, "This boxset sucks, I shouldn't have to pay for this". Most of them spoke of destroying it, long before we ever suggested it to them. The other 50% only say something like a name, or nothing in the body at all. We're not saying anything that our own contest entrants didn't say right to us.
Brakus wrote:Instead of setting the Big Orange Box on fire and putting a video of it on YouTube, the winner should do something a little more productive with it if they're not going to keep it. Give it to someone as a (re-)gift, donate it, get cash back by going to their local Suncoast or FYE, or resell it on Ebay. Something like that so that this thing doesn't truly go to waste. And after all, it still has the original Japanese dub and Steve Simmons' subtitles, so there's some value to it right there.
A good batch of your suggestions there would do exactly the opposite of what it sounds like you're trying to say... it would prove that the thing is worthless, and send a message to the company that no-one wants it.
Brakus wrote:A good yet disappointing episode this week, if not for the fact that you hate the FUNimation English dub of DBZ. We get it already.
You're conveniently forgetting each and every instance we talk about fond memories of things, things we liked, things that impressed us, things that were done right, etc. Don't worry. I've gotten used to that over the last decade. It's nothing new. One year it's, "VegettoEX never says anything good about the dub! Fuck him!" and the next year it's "VegettoEX said something good about the dub! Fuck that sellout FUNimation supporter!"

Whatever.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 pm

I have to get this off my chest; the manga review is pointless. Don't take it the wrong way, but it seems to be for Jeff's benefit. Most, if not all of your listeners have likely read or seen it already. Reviews are for those who are interested in something who have not yet read, seen, or played the respective material. I listen to the podcast because I want a novel, light-hearted spin, while presenting the facts, on my favorite series. With these reviews, I feel like I've already listened to the episode.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanos wrote:I have to get this off my chest; the manga review is pointless. Don't take it the wrong way, but it seems to be for Jeff's benefit. Most, if not all of your listeners have likely read or seen it already. Reviews are for those who are interested in something who have not yet read, seen, or played the respective material. I listen to the podcast because I want a novel, light-hearted spin, while presenting the facts, on my favorite series. With these reviews, I feel like I've already listened to the episode.
I actually haven't read much before the Android saga, so this is all new to me, and I quite enjoy the segment.

Now, if we could just get Julian-sensei back...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:45 pm

Thanos wrote:I have to get this off my chest; the manga review is pointless. Don't take it the wrong way, but it seems to be for Jeff's benefit. Most, if not all of your listeners have likely read or seen it already. Reviews are for those who are interested in something who have not yet read, seen, or played the respective material. I listen to the podcast because I want a novel, light-hearted spin, while presenting the facts, on my favorite series. With these reviews, I feel like I've already listened to the episode.
Thanks for bringing it back to the subject at hand :). Let me explain where the whole concept is coming from, and maybe you'll "get it" a little more from our perspective.

First off, the concept had nothing to do with Jeff. I came up with it months and months and months ago before Jeff had even been on the show. Once we decided to move forward with it, we all collectively figured that Jeff's perspective would be an interesting one to have, and throw some type of dynamic into the mix. It kinda sucks that Julian's been unavailable to record the last two, since it's not like we're trying to exclude him :P.

First and foremost, regarding people not wanting to hear about things they've already read, watched, know about, etc... Here's where I disagree with you completely, based 100% on my experiences with podcasts since I began listening to them. I dare you to listen to a couple episodes of any given anime podcast that does reviews, and tell me you don't hear at least one e-mail that sounds something like these:

- "You should review (insert show here)! It's my favorite!"
- "(insert show here) is great! You should review it!"
- "Please review (insert show here)! My friends and I love it!"

For the most part, people don't want to hear about new things... new things are foreign and scary. They want to hear glowing things said about things they already love. Even in this very podcast series on Daizenshuu EX, we have tons of examples. We get e-mails and posts all the time that say, "I just got (insert game here)! When are you going to review it? I want to hear what you think about it!" People love hearing agreeing opinions stated that reaffirm their love of something... and on the opposite spectrum, it gets their blood boiling to hear disagreeing opinions regarding things they love, but it keeps them enthralled :D.

Unrelated to anime completely, Meri occasionally listens to The Uncanny X-Cast. What does she skip ahead to? Review of the comics she's already read.

Also, it's a pretty simple way to get in NEW people who AREN'T familiar with the series as a whole. We talk about things all throughout the course of the series, but now we also have a recurring segment where you can "join in from the beginning", so to speak.

This isn't to say I don't see where you're coming from... it makes a whole lot of sense. As a podcast listener, myself, though... the other side is really where it seems to be.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Mike, I really appreciate you not taking it as an insult or hit. My criticisms are all in good fun and (heterosexual) love.

Now that I see the positive response and enthusiasm to these reviews, you should totally continue, and I should totally shut my little ingrateful mouth. :P

Tred on with renewed fury!
Last edited by Thanos on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm

I have to get this off my chest; the manga review is pointless.
Personally, I love these Manga reviews.

It sheds more light on stuff that I have not read in the manga itself, nor seen on tv or dvd/vhs. This goes especially for Dragonball, because I moved to a shit little town without Cartoon Network when Dragonball started airing. All of my known info of the series comes from reading episode summaries from the internet; sometimes they were good, sometimes small, sometimes a good laugh, but no where near the actual thing. And other than that, my resources have been pretty limited until recently (getting the first R4 boxset of Dragonball soon ^_^) and the manga reviews are great for me, because I get to hear in a nutshell what happened in that time of Dragonball, straight from the manga.

I've seen DBZ from the beginning upto the end of Cell, and I've got maybe a dozen or so vhs of the Majin Buu - Fusion Sagas. And I've only seen maybe 20 - 25 episodes of GT.

Pointless? I think not. ;)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm

I don't have a problem with them, I just think I'll be more interested once you guys are on the manga I own/I really like/ once I buy the 'DB' portion. Are you guys planning on putting up scans for certain "prominent" panels in future show notes? Oh and happy belated birthday, Julian(sp)!
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Brakus wrote:This is 2007, and people should be allowed to watch whatever series they want, however they want. I know you've made suggestions as to how it should be seen and all that, but as FUNimation has demonstrated time and again with DBZ, we can't get it easily. So we make do.
I agree. It's 2007, 11 years after I first saw DragonBall Z and 18 years since it first started in Japan. I, personally, want to see it in 4:3 without crappy filtering and cropping that wipes out a net 15% of the picture :P

We shouldn't have to "make due" in my opinion. If you think so, they continue to advocate their products. I don't intend to force anyone to stop, nor should I have to. I simply have standards and would hope everyone else does too.

-Corey

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Well, these manga reviews are kinda like the commentaries for shows/movies/etc, especially when I actually get the time to follow along with the corresponding volume.

So yeah, I think these podcast episodes are pretty interesting. (Then again, I like listening to show/movie commentaries so there ya go :?.)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm

I have to disagree (nothing against you or your opinion). I love the "reviews". When the first one came on I had never even picked up one of the manga. Then before the second edition I picked up the first two volumes, not because of the reviews but whatever. I have to say as soon as I read the Dr. Slump reference the very first thought I had was, "I can't wait to hear what Mike and Meri have to say about this". I hope to get the next few before the next segment so I can follow along again.
It's quite possibly my favorite part of the podcast.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:You're conveniently forgetting each and every instance we talk about fond memories of things, things we liked, things that impressed us, things that were done right, etc. Don't worry. I've gotten used to that over the last decade. It's nothing new. One year it's, "VegettoEX never says anything good about the dub! Fuck him!" and the next year it's "VegettoEX said something good about the dub! Fuck that sellout FUNimation supporter!"
You know, I would like to reference the mostly infamous AMV by Doki Doki Productions done to Van Halen's "Right Now" regarding the instances quoted that even though company A may be doing something right now (*heh*), company B (Funi, perhaps) is almost always inevitably screwing things up as well. Still, who knows what the execs at the Navarre Corp may think about fandom in this day and age?
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast

Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:33 pm

Listening to the podcast episode again, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna imagine Roshi singing "buffalo gal won't you come out tonight?" every time I watch that one scene in It's a Wonderful Life :roll:.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams