"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by matt0044 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Makes me wonder if Toei even know how badly Funimation butchered their show back in the day or if this decision is purely based on the casting.
I don't think they ever cared so long as DBZ made major cash in the USA. Studios in Japan often tends to not mind foreign translations so long as they're successful but there are exceptions...

Also did everybody forget that Resurrection F had TFS guest stars? Sure they were extras but even so, they appeared in official Dragon Ball media and Toei was apparently A-okay there.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I agree with the people in this thread who preferred the reuse of the Z audio, it's better that way because this only lasts so long in terms of enjoyment and only appeals to a niche group
Say what you will about the TFS guest stars or the dialogue but reusing the Z audio was... lazy. With the DVD release, they should at least redub the whole thing without resorting to shoddy recycling.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 am

Vale as the announcer guy was great :lol: Man is that guy talented! Can't wait for his Future Trunks in DBS!

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Not that I don't trust the sources or anything, but I guess there is some hope as long as it remains unchanged on XFinityTV. Somebody should keep an eye on it just in case. If it gets replaced, it will be the final nail in the coffin, however. I wouldn't expect it to last the week. Still, at this point, getting the TFS scene on Home Video isn't even a must for me, I'll take anything that doesn't involving reusing Z recordings.

Still, wonder what all the fuss is about, anyway? TFS Nappa's voice in Xenoverse didn't appear to be a problem, so why does Toei start complaining now?
According to several Twitter users, when they checked their Xfinity on Demand for it, it was already replaced.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

jelleline89 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Not that I don't trust the sources or anything, but I guess there is some hope as long as it remains unchanged on XFinityTV. Somebody should keep an eye on it just in case. If it gets replaced, it will be the final nail in the coffin, however. I wouldn't expect it to last the week. Still, at this point, getting the TFS scene on Home Video isn't even a must for me, I'll take anything that doesn't involving reusing Z recordings.

Still, wonder what all the fuss is about, anyway? TFS Nappa's voice in Xenoverse didn't appear to be a problem, so why does Toei start complaining now?
According to several Twitter users, when they checked their Xfinity on Demand for it, it was already replaced.
Ah, well, I guess that's that, then. Who knew this one filler scene would be the center of so much controversy. Let's hope they at least do something different for the Home Video release. It shouldn't take too much time to redo, right?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I agree with the others about preferring the original dialog. The TFS was nothing but a bunch of old, tired memes with little context for them. I say leave that stuff out of official products.

Now, I'd prefer an actual, new take on the scene, but considering how late of a change this must have been, I doubt they have the time to do a whole new recording session for this one scene, so we're probably stuck with the old dialog.

I mean, I don't even really care too much anyway, because it's one, extremely inconsequential scene, and the rest of the dub has been great so far. I really loved Goku's "you are a girl, right?" to Videl, which shows that Goku is more educated than as a child, because if this was kid Goku, he would have thought she was a boy immediately because of her short hair, and he would have done the crotch pat, but his blunt questioning of it is still Goku.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I agree with the others about preferring the original dialog. The TFS was nothing but a bunch of old, tired memes with little context for them. I say leave that stuff out of official products.

Now, I'd prefer an actual, new take on the scene, but considering how late of a change this must have been, I doubt they have the time to do a whole new recording session for this one scene, so we're probably stuck with the old dialog.
In a perfect world, I would have liked a version where it's the TFS actors, but with a tweaked version of the original's script. But I'm sure Toei would have found a way to bring that idea down regardless. Because as it stands, both versions have their flaws. The TFS version overdoes it on the memes, while the final version's just lazy recycling. I do find it a little amusing they kept the Lani-voiced end tag in the Toonami airing, not sure how Toei missed that. Guess taglines are okay, but fullblown mockery using a group of people they hate yet Funi likes is a no-no?

While I hope they do a different take of the scene, they probably won't just to play it safe.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Who knew this one filler scene would be the center of so much controversy.
That's Toei for you, they'll make a mess of the least expected.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I agree with the others about preferring the original dialog. The TFS was nothing but a bunch of old, tired memes with little context for them. I say leave that stuff out of official products.
I won't say that people can't like it but I can't help but appreciate it in how it's a tribute to Team Four Star from FUNimation themselves, the official US staff giving a mere parody series a chance to stand with the big guys. In addition, it's basically FUNimation taking the time to really roast themselves and their past dub where we see the characters cringe at the dumbness in the movie in the same vein as The Ember Island Players in Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's something I can't help but like.

I mean, the scene itself was dumb as it was so they might as well have had fun. It's not like with the old Z dub where it was a borderline gag dub. Kai is still dubbed more faithfully with a healthy bit of adaptation (that is, not outright changing plot points or how conversations went). However, this filler scene was them basically saying, "You know what? Let's have a blast and a half and parody ourselves. And speaking of parody..."

Plus, it's an overall shame that TFS got snubbed like that. It just doesn't make sense that they can cameo in a DBZ movie shown in theaters but not the actual series. Where's the legal issues in all this?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm

^ I think the issue lies with them actually doing the same voices for the characters. That fact alone made it so that they were deliberately referencing a parody series.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^ I think the issue lies with them actually doing the same voices for the characters. That fact alone made it so that they were deliberately referencing a parody series.
Except... those clearly were not the actual characters but people impersonating them in a movie. What, is that somehow not much of a loophole? :crazy:

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:00 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:^ I think the issue lies with them actually doing the same voices for the characters. That fact alone made it so that they were deliberately referencing a parody series.
Except... those clearly were not the actual characters but people impersonating them in a movie. What, is that somehow not much of a loophole? :crazy:
Not to Toei. I can see them overlooking Kaiser's cameo in Resurrection F to some extent (maybe because they weren't aware of it, or because he was just cameoing).

But remember, what Toei and Funimation think about the group is different. Toei hates them, Funi likes them and has even hired them for non-DB dubs in minor roles (as well as player character voices in Xenoverse 2). Plus, as I mentioned, the tagline at the end was still in Lani's Krillin voice in the Toonami version of the episode. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were Toei just being offended at their licensee using actors from something they hate, and Funi just kept in the tagline out of contempt for Toei.

Anything's possible, so until there's any official word from anyone involved, it's all speculation.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:45 pm

I doubt there's any legitimate animosity between Funi and Toei to the extent that they'd do things out of spite.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^ I think the issue lies with them actually doing the same voices for the characters.
That could explain why Lani's tagline at the end (as well as whoever did the new "WAVES AND ROCKS") were retained
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:^ I think the issue lies with them actually doing the same voices for the characters.
That could explain why Lani's tagline at the end (as well as whoever did the new "WAVES AND ROCKS") were retained
I don't see why that would be an issue.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Danfun64 wrote:(as well as whoever did the new "WAVES AND ROCKS")
What? I thought it said "Satan Rocks!"?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

simtek34 wrote:
It definitely sounds more like "waves and rocks"...though when I first heard it I thought it was "Satan rocks"
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
It definitely sounds more like "waves and rocks"...though when I first heard it I thought it was "Satan rocks"
It was definitely "Waves and Rocks"

The original Z dub made a joke about Toei's production logo and Kai did a call back to the z dub there

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Does Toei "hate" hate Team Four Star or is it because of the conflict laws about fair use between America and Japan? As though our side of things wasn't messed up as it is...

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't see why people even care so much about this, it was just a little clip that wasn't even that good.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Lookerman wrote:Not to Toei. I can see them overlooking Kaiser's cameo in Resurrection F to some extent (maybe because they weren't aware of it, or because he was just cameoing).

But remember, what Toei and Funimation think about the group is different. Toei hates them, Funi likes them and has even hired them for non-DB dubs in minor roles (as well as player character voices in Xenoverse 2). Plus, as I mentioned, the tagline at the end was still in Lani's Krillin voice in the Toonami version of the episode. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were Toei just being offended at their licensee using actors from something they hate, and Funi just kept in the tagline out of contempt for Toei.
Here's the thing, as long as they just use them as actors in dubs, I don't think Toei minds too much, especially when they don't used their Abridged voices. Each of the TFS guys are extremely talented not just as vocal mimics, but coming up with voices in their own rights. If they were to have not used their Abridged voices, or if they just wrote the scene for others to dub, I doubt there'd be a big fuss over it.
Lani's Krillin voice wasn't a part of the parody, so Sabat probably got the last laugh by getting to leave that last line in, since it's more in line with the original dialogue than the scene itself. The games themselves aren't developed by Toei, they're developed by Namco using the Toei license & Sabat's in charge of directing those dubs too at Okatron, I believe. Plus, it's not like the English dub's going to reach Japan, right? Or does it? Anyways, technically, they probably told him they need a certain amount of actors for the dubs of the game's character creation features, so he got them to come in to do it & Namco went with it, since he'd most likely have to explain it to them.
The thing I don't get here is that Toei refusing the use of their recordings is just them being salty over the fact that they're not in Japan, so they can't, legally, take them down. I guess they see it as them taking their fans, when it's a series made by fans for fans celebrating the show. It really should be seen as a high honor, since Japanese people are like Klingons & value honor above most everything else. Thing is, they'd be profiting off of these guys for a change rather than getting nothing as well, so I don't get it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs