Episode #0088 (05 August 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0088 (05 August 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Episode #0088 (download MP3)
52:16; 64 kbps, mono; 23.9 MB

Episode #0088! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian conveniently put off volume seven of the manga in order to do another "Catching Up On E-mails" episode! Julian indeed makes his triumphant return to catch us up-to-date on all the Japanese news (video games, CDs, and more), in addition to some other random tidbits. Our e-mails always make great mini-topics, including the requisite DBZ vs. Naruto question. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I can finally sleep.

*downloads*

-The One Piece drawings are awesome. And yes, I drooled over the Obata drawing as well. Here's a colouring of it (not by me):

-I just might get those CDs. I suck at DB CDs.

-Don't blame Canadians for anything. We're awesome :P

Hell yes the One Piece Portrait of Pirates toys are awesome! They're reissuing a whole bunch of them in September and October. Good bye wallot.
Last edited by fps_anth on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:57 pm

fps_anth wrote:I can finally sleep.
Pfft, you and me both :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:53 am

Heh...
I don't even remember the last time I saw Eric Johnson. I just remembered it was at the CNAnime convention several years ago in Toronto. Eric was a cool guy. Chris Sabat, who was sitting next to Eric, acted kinda weird as he talks to me in some kinda Beavis and Butthead voice. I actually would love to see the voice actors from HK-TVB's Cantonese dub of DBZ in person. Many of them did a really good job on DBZ. Some of them are even out of the voice acting business from what I've read. If there are any Hong Kong DBZ fans out there, I'd like to know if voice actor Lam Po-Chuen had any involvement with the Cantonese dub of DBZ. He's one voice that every Hong Kong youngsters are well familiar with. Especially for his work in Doraemon.
The world is your's.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:38 am

Oh I hope my e-mail was answered!
Shame its 2:30am or so. ^_^;;
I'll listen to the podcast tomorrow and find out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:51 am

Hey hey hey - if you Yanks keep blaming Canadians, we'll have to head on down to Jersey and get all 1812 on your asses :P

Oh, and I just watched the Bojack movie (in sweet, sweet Dragon Box quality) and there were plenty of animal-characters.

Oh, the Naruto-DBZ comparison. Is it better- no. This isn't even a personal question, you can break the manga and the anime down intellectually and artistically and show that no single part of Naruto is better than DBZ (except for the 'the authour doesn't forget about main characters' paart :P).
I keep up with the manga, and I keep up with the anime - and I unabashedly say that I really like Naruto - but I don't like it more than DBZ. I mean, fuck, I'm not looking for limited edition Japanese-only Naruto boxsets :P

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 am

My personal feeling after hearing that podcast is; you should do anime comparisons more often. I love Naruto but Dragon Ball was my introduction to anime, so I agree I wouldn't call it better but certainly one with potential to delight for years. Heres hoping you compare Dragon Ball to Kenshin in some form...Sanosuke vs Piccolo me thinks.

Great podcast guys.

kuchi

Post by kuchi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 am

Wonderful podcast as always. Damn Canadians! ==

Hmm... animal politics in the Dragonball Z World = Wicked (the musical) much?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:14 am

nwoo_2002 wrote:My personal feeling after hearing that podcast is; you should do anime comparisons more often. I love Naruto but Dragon Ball was my introduction to anime, so I agree I wouldn't call it better but certainly one with potential to delight for years. Heres hoping you compare Dragon Ball to Kenshin in some form...Sanosuke vs Piccolo me thinks.

Great podcast guys.
I would love to see a podcast topic like that where it's compared with other anime like Eva (which I know have a sudden urge to watch) and maybe some other anime that hasn't been brought up before in other episodes like the rivalry one.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Yea, Obata's was cool, though I like Murata's the best.
Since Obata's was mentioned....
Full sized version. They are a bitch to clean (thank my crappy scanner)

Also, good to hear that Cross Epoch will be released. It's been about half a year, haha.
- Life is a game, play it!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks for answering my question. And by the way, I'm male.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Boo for no manga review (of awesome-ness). Yay for catching up on e-mail. I'm actually surprised the whole Dragon Ball vs. current Shonen discussion hasn't come up sooner in the podcasts (with exception to some stuff before like the mentioning of the same colors for Goku and Vegeta being used later with Naruto and Sasuke).

I don't really have much else to say about the episode, except for Meri's mentioning of not liking stuff once it gets mainstream. While I get where she's coming from, with the whole "it's weird to not like stuff just because it becomes popular," I can also see the other side of the conversation. It's almost like as a series becomes more popular and rakes in more fans, it's harder to distinguish between those who are sincerely into it, even if its popularity wanes, and those "fair weather" fans, so the fandom in general ends up getting some sort of negative rep. Another point is that in some cases, some series (at least in my eyes) end up actually becoming sucky as it becomes more popular (perhaps the series writers fall under fan pressure?).

Oh, right, Dragon Ball. erm... I find it strange that FUNi's still cranking out those Spanish dub releases. Oh, yeah, and those that Eric Johnson section on Meri's site is pretty cool, too.

Anyways, awesome episode and I can't wait for the next one :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 am

Good podcast as usual. Interesting comparison piece.

Did you get my friend request on Xbox Live, Mike?*hint hint*

Lord Moonstone
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Moonstone » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:03 am

Whoo! Finally some talk about the Battle Taikan Kamehameha games!
< proud owner of the first game. lol
Still been meaning to pick up the 2nd, but I'm stuck between that and the Naruto one that came out a while ago..

The way I got mine was through a Japanese pen pal... >_>;

(Will edit as it goes along)
俺のこの手が真っ赤に燃えるぅ!! 勝利を食せと轟き叫ぶ!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Hikaru Midorikawa was also Marth/Mars from Fire Emblem :O

Mike McFarland and Vic Mignogna have both e-mailed me first like Ian Corlett did with you, actually, that was pretty cool. I've wanted to meet both Eric AND Sonny for quite a while but haven't gotten to find them at any cons yet.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Funimation says...hit me again, por favor?

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 pm

I almost wish this whole DVD thing was a joke or somthing. I can smell the shit and hear the fan from MÉXICO'S side of the tracks. Everything I said about the first release is and probably will be. Entonces, evítalo si puedes.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 pm

On the comparison to Naruto thing, I remember a friend of mine saying that Naruto's Rise was the new Rock the Dragon. Don't know about that, but remembered it.

kuchi

Post by kuchi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:32 pm