Episode #0095 (23 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0095 (23 September 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Episode #0095 (download MP3)
23:36; 64 kbps, mono; 10.8 MB

Episode #0095! VegettoEX and Meri go over their own top five "grudge matches that may or may not have actually had some sort of physical beginning but we would like to see concluded in some sort of physical fashion"... or something like that. We "geek-out" for a bit going down the list, reminiscing about great character interactions that really need to play out to the fullest. Referenced sites:
  • no referenced sites!
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the bizarro *ninety-five* episodes, now.

Like I mentioned during the show, Meri and I recorded this about a week ago before we went on down to George for Anime Weekend Atlanta. We definitely had a ton of fun with the lists, though :). Hope you enjoy it! Let us know your thoughts on our own lists, as well as what other ones you would like to have seen.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:39 pm

Whooo! Still at work, pumped for the 'cast. Will listen on the way home: expect comments!

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm

I actually heard the Japanese voice actor for Ginyu did the "Male beast scream". Dunno if there's any truth to the statement though. If it is true though, I guess the apropriate thing would be for Meri to scream inplace of EX and say it was him.
­

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:08 pm

Can't wait to listen to the episode. I have slow Internet right now, so it's taking forever for it to download :(

Also, I've seen that Kuririn figure at various hobby stores here in Japan, and I covet it. That and the Goku one.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 pm

I loved this Episode. I love it when you guys show your Fanboy/Fangirl side.

My top 5 List would be:

5. Piccolo Vs. Android 17 -- This is widely regarded as one of the best fights in all of DragonBall and it failed to have a conclusion.

4. SSJ2 Gohan Vs. "Super Perfect" Cell -- I'm talking about Gohan with both arms in a physical fight. That could have been such an awesome fight. Personally I think Toriyama should have drawn out a physical fight before the Kamehameha Clash.

3. Goku Vs. Piccolo -- Bassically for the same reasons you guys mentioned.

2. Tien Vs. Krillin -- A fight in the Z Era would be so awesome. It could finally put an end to the argument in fandom. I would say this fight would be at it's best in the Cell Era.

1. Future Trunks Vs.Vegeta -- As a Trunks fan there is nothing that I would love more than to see these 2 throw down.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:32 pm

Future Trunks vs. Vegeta would definately be my number one. How awesome would that be if they were really serious about it?

I think Goku vs. Piccolo would work, but only at certain times. Most of the time, Goku would smash Piccolo, but I can definately see a great fight if it took place during a certain part of the series.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Fun stuffage. That's all I have to say.

... Hmm... I think Piccolo-Daimao vs. Kame-Sen-nin could be interesting... even though Kame Sen'nin would probably get the shit kicked out of him, it'd be fun to see if he was fighting at maximum power and didn't... uh... kill himself by missing. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Taku128 wrote:I actually heard the Japanese voice actor for Ginyu did the "Male beast scream". Dunno if there's any truth to the statement though. If it is true though, I guess the apropriate thing would be for Meri to scream inplace of EX and say it was him.
The scream made the scene that much more epic. Get goosebumps every time.

Heh, I wonder who really did the scream...it was never confirmed anywhere, right?

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:59 pm

fps_anth wrote:
Taku128 wrote:I actually heard the Japanese voice actor for Ginyu did the "Male beast scream". Dunno if there's any truth to the statement though. If it is true though, I guess the apropriate thing would be for Meri to scream inplace of EX and say it was him.
The scream made the scene that much more epic. Get goosebumps every time.

Heh, I wonder who really did the scream...it was never confirmed anywhere, right?
I personally hate it, I think it sounds like a bark... But whatever.

5 - Tullece vs Bardock
4 - SSJ2 Teen Gohan vs SSJ2 Vegeta
3 - Super Piccolo vs SSJ Goku
2 - Vegito vs Gogeta
1 - SSJ Goku vs Mecha Freeza

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:12 pm

I guess sometimes, it's best to "geek-out" with what-if versus match-ups. I do agree with most of the choices brought up (I wouldn't want to spoil the episode by saying who's on the list).

I personally would have liked a re-match with Tenshinhan and Yamcha at their Boo Saga power levels. The filler during the Tenshinhan Saga kinda went out of their way to build up the tension between those two, so I would've liked some kind of re-match after they've made amends with each other.

So yeah, cool stuff as always, regardless of it's short-ness.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:50 am

Here's mine.

5. Tenshinhan Vs. Tsuru Sen'nin
-Even though it'd be tough to get Ten in a situation where he'd fight his old master, I'd have liked to see it.
4. Grandpa Gohan Vs. Tao Pai Pai
-Totally from my own mind, but I'd like to see these veteran Turtle and Crane students go at it, and whose trademark attack would overcome the other.
3. Piccolo Vs. Son Goku
-Yeah, exactly. Everyone wants this. And for good reason.
2. Son Goku Vs. Tenshinhan
-Tenshinhan seemed really intent on surpassing Goku when he was on the Kaio planet. . . what happened to that?
1. Son Goku Vs. Freeza
-As much as I love the Trunks stuff, I really feel like Goku not defeating Freeza on Namek undermined everything in the series at that point. Seeing a proper conclusion that involved these two, one living and the other dying, would've been nice.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 am

djkalteraphine wrote: -Tenshinhan seemed really intent on surpassing Goku when he was on the Kaio planet. . . what happened to that?
"Super Saiyan" happened.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: -Tenshinhan seemed really intent on surpassing Goku when he was on the Kaio planet. . . what happened to that?
"Super Saiyan" happened.
Cop out, I say.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Good topic, I thought it was a great idea for a short episode.

As long as everyone is sharing their own top five:

5. Piccolo vs Kuririn (movie 9)- I love movie 9, but it pissed me off that Piccolo and Kuririn didn't get to have a sweet battle like Ten and Trunks did. I think they should have followed through intstead of having Piccolo drop out.
4. Goten vs Trunks (end of DBZ)- They exchanged some talk about fighting when the tournament started and I really wish it actually happened. Not only would it be a needed rematch between them, but seeing these grown up versions go Super Saiyan, ect. would have been awsome.
3. Master Roshi vs Master Shen- It would be so cool to see these two creaters of their own style fight, especially since there is a tense rivalry between them throughout Dragonball. Seeing Shen use the Dodon Ray in DB movie 3 really made me want this fight more. I love this work of Leo Taku's: http://avalanchestudios.net/leotaku/old.jpg
2. Vegeta vs Yamcha- Vegeta talks a lot of trash to Yamcha in the Trunks saga and indeed ends up with his former girl, I'd like to see what Yamcha can actually do to him.
1. Gohan (adult) vs. Piccolo- An all out battle between master and student. Goku and Jackie Chun got it, Goku and Uub got it, it could even be said that Ten got it when he fought General Tao. I'd like to see an ultimate fight between the two after Gohan is grown up.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:08 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
fps_anth wrote: The scream made the scene that much more epic. Get goosebumps every time.

I personally hate it, I think it sounds like a bark... But whatever.
Agreed, I would have much preferred a regular lung destroying scream by Mrs. Nozawa

Now, my matchups are limited to the Saiya-jins, just because I would love to see how they interact with one another.

5. Bardock and King Vegeta- A fun battle of the fathers kind of thing even though (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't there a line in the Bardock special that stated Bardock was stronger than King Vegeta (Not counting the dub)
4. Raditz and Bardock- Bardock had all this disdain for Goku when he was born, Raditz claimed to be an elite, so I wonder if he would have treated him any differently.
3. GT Goten and Mirai Trunks- Trunks fighting the best friend he never knew would be sort of neat, not to mention seeing if the two would actually get along.
2. Kid Goku and Kid Vegeta- though Vegeta appeared to be light years ahead of Goku, it would still be fun to see, maybe resulting in a duel in their Oozaru forms.
1. Vegeta and Vegeta jr- Not only would I like to see them fight, but it would be fun to see if Vegeta would actually take to a kid that is basically a carbon copy of himself.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:47 am

As much as I enjoy everyone's lists, keep in mind that the pairings we noted actually had some sort of interaction to prompt a possible fight... :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:11 pm

There is a glimmer of tension shown between Piccolo and Vegeta when Freeza is coming to Earth...I would love to see that somehow get warped into an all-out bout.

Everything else worth mentioning hath been done already...

I loved Mike's rant about Goku vs. Piccolo. Best part of the episode!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Duo wrote:There is a glimmer of tension shown between Piccolo and Vegeta when Freeza is coming to Earth...I would love to see that somehow get warped into an all-out bout.
That would've been really awesome! I hadn't even thought of that, or it would've been on my list.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:34 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:Cop out, I say.
Tien: I fight you!
SSJ Goku: whatever
Tien: *punch*
Tien's hand: *snapcracklepop*
SSJ Goku: lol

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:29 pm

The Human/Saiyajin power scale didn't have to work out the way it did. If any human would've had the ability to fight a Super Saiyajin, it would've been Tenshinhan -- but he stopped trying to train to new heights, and instead just took to wandering in the wilderness.

Think about it, Tenshinhan, by all rights, had access to spaceships. He could've searched the galaxy for new ways to improve himself, new techniques, and unlock more power in the human potential. And the Tenshinhan that fought Goku in the 22nd Budokai, I believe, would've done all he could to get better. But since there were new characters, there was no need for him to be featured predominately, and so he conceded, out-of-character to my opinion, to the idea that he couldn't surpass Goku.

With this in mind, yes, he should've trained harder, and fought Goku again. It would've been awesome.

Man, I'm such a fanboy. :lol: