Episode #0097 (07 October 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm

kinoko wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Wasn't "saibamen" a play on something? I thought they just essentially translated it.
The saibai in サイバイマン comes from the same word which means "cultivation; culture; raising; growing; growth." Saibai suru means "to cultivate."

So Viz wasn't off the mark in naming those little green men. ^^ ..."Cultivars" just sounds kind of funky, and it's another example of one of those odd translations/quirks from the early DB manga days..
Yeah, I just thought it sounded weird. Though I guess that's probably cause I am just used to saibamen.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Outstanding, information-filled episode! I thoroughly enjoyed the walk down the past of the manga! Great work!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 pm

I actually picked up volumes two and three of the "animanga" at Book-Off today. It figures... a mere two days after I do a panel on it, I miraculously get some cheap books :P.

I'm glad everyone's been enjoying the episode. For those who missed the "Manga in AMVs" panel (that being... uhh... almost every single person here), while we didn't record it, I'll be putting up a thread over on the AnimeNEXT/MangaNEXT forums with a huge recap and collection of links (probably tomorrow night). Good times... good times.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I actually picked up volumes two and three of the "animanga" at Book-Off today. It figures... a mere two days after I do a panel on it, I miraculously get some cheap books :P.
Very cool. So, how are they. Are they the same as the manga panels except with anime screencaps? Or are the screen caps completely random? The filler is in there, right?

Never knew anyone that actually owned an animanga :P

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm glad everyone's been enjoying the episode. For those who missed the "Manga in AMVs" panel (that being... uhh... almost every single person here), while we didn't record it, I'll be putting up a thread over on the AnimeNEXT/MangaNEXT forums with a huge recap and collection of links (probably tomorrow night). Good times... good times.
Woo! That panel was awesome. I was just tired out of my mind Saturday night, so sorry if the cat girl didn't seem to excited to be there - she was; she was just tired. X3
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 pm

Great episode, I knew there were quite a few editions of the manga over it's life span but man, didn't know there were that many.

I got a question for anyone who may know about how to tell what edition a book is. In the episode Mike said it was in the front on the "page with no pictures" so I check and in the case of my DB Vol. 1 it says "1st printing: March 2003, Sixth Printing: May 2006". So does that mean it's the sixth printing of that volume? I'm pretty sure it does since if it was the first printing they wouldn't know when the sixth would be. But I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Yes. That does mean it's the sixth printed edition of that particular volume in Viz's current format. All first printed versions will say "1st Printing: Date Here" only.

Also, I don't think it was brought up, but you can also tell if you've got a newer edition or an earlier one just by looking at the spine.

All older printings use this logo:

While newer ones use the black and white Viz Media logo:

Wish the same method could be used with One Piece volumes for those that would've like to get the volumes that still called Zoro by his actual name and not Zolo. :P

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:56 pm

Well, as long as we're giving a little DB Manga 101 Lesson (the parts in brackets are where I slightly updated the post)...
DaemonCorps in [url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4792&highlight=manga]this topic[/url] wrote:[...] As for the edits made to the American manga, there are none made to the DragonBall manga. DBZ's obvious edits begin near the beginning of the Cell Game arc (with the dreaded dub name of Hercule, Vegerot, etc). [The DB manga was later edited, covering up certain lady parts when the volumes were re-re-released; the big edit most refer to was in volume 9 when a bra was put on top of Bulma during a certain scene during the Baba Saga.]

Basically, there are three versions of Viz's manga volume releases that you can get: Their "1st editions," which are considerably bigger than the volumes they release today (I don't recommend these volumes, since they're more expensive, and they only go up to volume 10 for DB and DBZ), their re-releases (these ones are more commonplace and have a black "Viz Cat" logo on the bottom of the book's spine, and finally the re-re-releases, which have the white Viz Media logo at the bottom of the book spines.

[The entire release for DB (vol 1-16) can actually be bought with minimum censoring, except for maybe an odd line change here or there, if you stick to the "Cat Logo" releases.] As for DBZ, the volumes from the Cell Games onward are only available with the white Viz Media logo and is (as previously mentioned) when Viz starts getting a little iffy.

This thread discusses the edits in more detail. But the only major edit I've noticed in the re-releases is in volume 9. There's also the issue of Mr. Popo's lips being removed throughout all the volumes. Sadly, there isn't a Viz version with ol' Popo's lips in it. [Oddly enough, though, Viz doesn't bother censoring out Popo's lips whenever he's shown on the opening chapter pages.]

Shonen Jump (America) put up DBZ chapters from when Freeza arrives on Earth until the very end of the Cell Games. Every once in a while, they would be able to get the color prints of some chapters that would only be available in grayscale otherwise, so that's kinda cool.

Here's some more info from kanentai and daizex:
- kanzentai.com about tankoubon
- kanzentai.com about kanzenban
- daizex.com about manga coloring
- daizex.com's newbie guide (scroll down to the "Revival in Japan" section

Hope that helps!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:06 am

VegettoEX wrote:I actually picked up volumes two and three of the "animanga" at Book-Off today. It figures... a mere two days after I do a panel on it, I miraculously get some cheap books :P.

I'm glad everyone's been enjoying the episode. For those who missed the "Manga in AMVs" panel (that being... uhh... almost every single person here), while we didn't record it, I'll be putting up a thread over on the AnimeNEXT/MangaNEXT forums with a huge recap and collection of links (probably tomorrow night). Good times... good times.
Can we expect a link? :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 am

desirecampbell wrote:

Can we expect a link? :D
http://www.animenext.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6278
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Sweet! Thanks, Mike.

*reads*
Aha!
On Tue Sep 04, 2007 in the thread for Podcast #92, desirecampbell wrote:I remember some "manga amv", that I thought it was on that AMV page, but I guess not. Was that you guys? Shit, I can't even remember what manga it was, or what the song was.
I was thinking of 'reflections of style'.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Shit was hot fire.

Learned some interesting stuff. I actually got quite a few of the original Viz DBZ graphic novels for real cheap at a thrift store some time ago. Too bad they're scattered around my house. The weekly (monthly?) comic book just seemed like a stupid idea entirely, though.

Oh, and I also own the unedited DB Volume 9 with the Bulma breasts an all. I have to admit, when I first saw that even I was surprised.

I'm waited for the Viz Big novels, personally. By the way, I know it's 3 volumes in 1 book, but will it retain the "Fits in your pocket!" style or will it be given the US Monthly Jump format? If so, that'd be totally awesome.