FUNimation's screw-ups amaze me.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

FUNimation's screw-ups amaze me.

Post by Thanos » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 am

Somehow, even though they give us the original Japanese BGM with the English dialogue, for some reason, it would seem like some certain BGM pieces are missing some sound channels in them. For instance, in the Season One Boxset, the part in the episode "Saiyan Sized Secret", the music that plays ("The Saiyajins Arrive!!") is missing those two strong pop beats that occur near the beginning, and I seem to recall a scene in which Piccolo is speaking and it sounds like half of the piece is just gone. Anyone have any idea why this is so? Is it FUNimation's way of giving them an excuse to release yet another set of DVD boxsets? (DRAGON BALL Z REMASTERED FULL-SCREEN WITH FULL MUSIC CHANNELS OMG!!!! THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION!!!)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:07 am

Heh, yeah. Mike went over that in a podcast, actually. In the scene where Piccolo jumps into Nappa's blast, the 'chanting voices' (I guess) are missing - it really changes the energy of the moment.

SSJ_Vejita

Post by SSJ_Vejita » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:43 am

Well they did that with Dragon Ball as well, didn't they. Some insert songs where missing like Mezase Tenka-Ichi and Fushigi Wonderland.
Last edited by SSJ_Vejita on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 am

SSJ_Vejita wrote:Well they did that whit Dragon Ball as well, didn't they. So insert songs where missing like Mezase Tenka-Ichi and Fushigi Wonderland.
Actually I own funimation's dragon ball and those insert songs are there.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:39 pm

The songs are on the Japanese audio track only. In the dub, all of the Japanese vocal songs are left out.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Super 17 wrote:
SSJ_Vejita wrote:Well they did that whit Dragon Ball as well, didn't they. So insert songs where missing like Mezase Tenka-Ichi and Fushigi Wonderland.
Actually I own funimation's dragon ball and those insert songs are there.
I can confirm this to be true as well,does anyone know why they cut out the vocals?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:41 pm

It may be an audio mixing error in the studio. So far, Season 2 has all the Japanese BGM leaving none left out (to my knowledge). I think they noticed the missing music in Season 1 and really went over Season 2 to make sure it was right before release.

But I still think FUNi should turn it up! Kikuchi's score is too low in volume in the English dub. Grrr...
Jesse
tricofilms.com

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:31 pm

The reason is probably because the little bits they cut out contain voices or Japanese dialogue. But so what? I think it sounds really bad with the Japanese music and American voices. I prefer Faulconer's music with the US voice work.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:03 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:The reason is probably because the little bits they cut out contain voices or Japanese dialogue. But so what? I think it sounds really bad with the Japanese music and American voices. I prefer Faulconer's music with the US voice work.
Well, they did just lazily slap the dubbed voices over the Japanese music.