Remastered DVD's VS Dragon Box quality comparison thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:43 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:What number "complain about the orange brick" thread is this?
I don’t see this as complaining about the sets merely comparing the two remastering process. Although it’s obvious which one is superior by now. We don't exactly need this to tell us.
Exactly. I own both the dragon box and the season sets.

I like the season sets purely because they have the new english dub which is pretty good IMO.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 am

SSJToreto,

Thanks for taking the time to post these comparisons. I always find these threads to be really entertaining. I'll be looking forward to your future posts!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:15 am

I sulk at the fact that I don't own a credit card and thus cannot purchase singles. TT_TT

It's so sad seeing Gohan's apple disappear in Funi's version (among other disappearing items).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:21 am

Kendamu wrote:I can see why someone would like the clean, bright "Nick Jr." colors, but I prefer a series to look it's age. Even if they did clean the dirt off of the DBox ones it still looks like something from 1989.

What I'd like to see is a comparison between the old FUNi singles and the new FUNi remasters.
You got it chief. Unfortunately I only have the first three Ultimate Uncut volumes, so no pics from episode seven. If SSJToreto would like to take images from episodes 1-6 I will gladly take images from the UUE's.

All images are lossless PNG's @ 640x480. No filtering/clean up has been done to them. Thumbnailed to save on bandwith and to control vertical scrolling.

Image Image Image Image Image

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:16 am

SatoSky wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I can see why someone would like the clean, bright "Nick Jr." colors, but I prefer a series to look it's age. Even if they did clean the dirt off of the DBox ones it still looks like something from 1989.

What I'd like to see is a comparison between the old FUNi singles and the new FUNi remasters.
You got it chief. Unfortunately I only have the first three Ultimate Uncut volumes, so no pics from episode seven. If SSJToreto would like to take images from episodes 1-6 I will gladly take images from the UUE's.

All images are lossless PNG's @ 640x480. No filtering/clean up has been done to them. Thumbnailed to save on bandwith and to control vertical scrolling.

Image Image Image Image Image
Sure!

Dragon Box episode 2

Dragon Box episode 3

Dare to compare. :wink:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:54 am

Another one of these topics eh?

If I could be bothered cracking out my UUE's I'd post a picture of one of the dinosaur stampedes (when Gohan is out in the wilderness) where you can see the scratches all over the cel, so much so that it looks like a bad moving collage,.

I'd like to see how that was cleaned up in the Dragonbox, if SSJToreto doesn't have the episodes, maybe one of the proud owners of the first Z-box could help?

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:03 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Another one of these topics eh?

If I could be bothered cracking out my UUE's I'd post a picture of one of the dinosaur stampedes (when Gohan is out in the wilderness) where you can see the scratches all over the cel, so much so that it looks like a bad moving collage,.

I'd like to see how that was cleaned up in the Dragonbox, if SSJToreto doesn't have the episodes, maybe one of the proud owners of the first Z-box could help?
I'm pretty sure I have that episode. Post the scene first, I'm not sure which episode had the stampede.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:11 pm

-edited- (see updated post)
Last edited by desirecampbell on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:42 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Someone with a dbox and the UUE want to grab this scene from episode 3? It's just a few frames after the Piccolo.
Dragon Box

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Damn, those widescreen caps are dark! You can't even see the shine on Raditz's armor! Keep it up guys! And thanks again!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 pm

-update- (got exact frames. hit CTRL+F5 to force full refresh)

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:25 pm

lol If I go get my Ultimate Uncut, I'll show you much more than just scratches. The first episode looks like someone spilled black pepper all over the entire picture.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:lol If I go get my Ultimate Uncut, I'll show you much more than just scratches. The first episode looks like someone spilled black pepper all over the entire picture.
Keep in mind how old that episode is, it could be in a lot worse condition.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:47 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Keep in mind how old that episode is, it could be in a lot worse condition.
Look at the Dragon Box, it could be a lot better condition.

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:49 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:Keep in mind how old that episode is, it could be in a lot worse condition.
Look at the Dragon Box, it could be a lot better condition.
Exactly!

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:18 pm

I prefer the grain of the Dragonbox to the blurred out images of the "brick" edition. Heres the thing folks, DragonBall is old. I prefer it to look it's age, as people have said before. You can do whatever you want to the picture to try to pass it off as new hotness, but if you do that you're wasting your time. It's not new hotness. I think the only place it has on the market is more in the area of nostalgia. Sure, the Dragonbox doesn't have perfect picture quality, sure there's grain. While it isn't perfect, it is damn near.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:While it isn't perfect, it is damn near.
Agreed! This is about as good as Dragonball is going to get in my opinion. I would take DragonBox SD discs over FUNi Blu-rays any day. Not to mention that the audio quality in the DragonBox versions blows away anything FUNi has ever done.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:58 pm

desirecampbell wrote:-update- (got exact frames. hit CTRL+F5 to force full refresh)

Image Image
Exact frames? Are you certain? Or did FUNI's remastering process just remove the entire "blue-shine" that exists on Raditz' armor directly across his chest? Because it certainly wouldn't have been cropped out.

Now I WOULD be interested to see if it existed in the UUE DVDs.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Here ya go. Now keep in mind, I have a crappy video card and using some bootleg version of VLC player or whatever it's called. No matter what I play, it has these weird lines at the borders. Anyway, before I ramble on, let me just say that the Dragon Box footage is great. But it seemed like nothing you can't really make from the single FUNimation releases. I mean just adjust the Sharpness, brightness or color. What's great about the Dragon Box is that it is a lot more convenient than having all these damn singles! lol Anyway here is the comparison:

FUNimation's supposed weird ass "Remastered"

Dragon Box

Ultimate Uncut Edition

And observation that I've made is that the Dragon Box footage shows a bit more on the left side and the bottom. They show the same on the right side. The FUNimation DVDs show more on top. lol The "Remastered" ones show the sides but really...who gives a crap about the sides? Geez lol

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:50 pm

Well, to be honest, who cares about the top either? It's not like there's anything happening up there that we lose either. All the stuff that's goin on is in the middle, not the tops or sides. :roll:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)