Remastered DVD's VS Dragon Box quality comparison thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:24 pm

I'd like to see that too :)

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Hell, the DragonBoxes themselves have international clips that show FUNimation is the only one with fucked colors.
I always thought the colors of the Funimation singles of everything excluding the UUE's were decent to be honest. I know that it doesn't compare to the Dragonbox though. My only real complaint with Funi's colors on those was that the sky was always this weird dark blue, other than that, I thought they were decent. The colors of the season sets however, are just too bright and fucked moreso than the original singles. At least they weren't DNVR'd and don't suffer from DLS (Disappearing Line Syndrome) :wink:
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:39 pm

I just find it funny how they advertised that they didn't change any of the colors while showing you before and after shots, where it's clearly visible to anyone who has any sort of color awareness that they are in fact not the same.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Vekurotto wrote: I always thought the colors of the Funimation singles of everything excluding the UUE's were decent to be honest. I know that it doesn't compare to the Dragonbox though. My only real complaint with Funi's colors on those was that the sky was always this weird dark blue, other than that, I thought they were decent. The colors of the season sets however, are just too bright and fucked moreso than the original singles. At least they weren't DNVR'd and don't suffer from DLS (Disappearing Line Syndrome) :wink:
I agree, I just purchased a box set of Boo saga singles, and after watching them, I skipped back to the first orange brick, and couldn't stand just how blurry it was.
also considering the only thing I've ever really seen in motion are FUNI's releases, the colours don't bother me that much (though I do turn down the saturation so those oranges don't kill me) apart from those in the season sets (the second set was nearly unwatchable)

The most annoying thing is if I want complete singles, I'll have to purchase the US releases (I just bought the complete set of Freeza singles off Kendamu and can't wait to get them) But it's going to be difficult getting all of the Jinzoningen/Cell Arcs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:25 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: The most annoying thing is if I want complete singles, I'll have to purchase the US releases (I just bought the complete set of Freeza singles off Kendamu and can't wait to get them) But it's going to be difficult getting all of the Jinzoningen/Cell Arcs.
They'll go out into the mail on Wednesday. 8)
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:34 pm

Kendamu wrote: They'll go out into the mail on Wednesday. 8)
*Hugs Kendamu*

I'm so glad that for my favorite part of the series (Namek/Freeza) I won't have to resort to season sets! (and I can finally put my region free dvd player to use :P )

*waits by mailbox*

And yeah, ontopic and stuff, season sets, dragonbox... screw it, I've got nothing.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Raki wrote:Corey,that's the part of the Dragon Boxes where they sorta poke fun at dubbed versions of DBZ right?
Nah, you're thinking of the DragonBall DragonBox. That mocks the censorship in the dubs of DragonBall (both the Ocean and FUNi dubs). This is just a compilation of international clips of DragonBall Z that's part of DragonBox Z Vol. 1.
Kendamu wrote:Please! Post those. That would really be awesome.
Alright, I've been busy this weekend, but if you'll give me until tomorrow evening (I've gotta work tomorrow, but I have Tuesday off for the holiday) I'll take pics and maybe even encode the video clip if someone wants to host it.

Later!

-Corey

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:33 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Alright, I've been busy this weekend, but if you'll give me until tomorrow evening (I've gotta work tomorrow, but I have Tuesday off for the holiday) I'll take pics and maybe even encode the video clip if someone wants to host it.
Later!
-Corey
I can host it, easy. :)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm

Corey, why do you keep saying that the Funi colors are oversaturated? Oversaturated is the Dragon Box bootleg and the Spanish rematsered DVDs. The tint on the Funi DVDs is different, that's all (and that's not even their fault).
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Corey, why do you keep saying that the Funi colors are oversaturated? Oversaturated is the Dragon Box bootleg and the Spanish rematsered DVDs. The tint on the Funi DVDs is different, that's all (and that's not even their fault).
No offense, but you're wrong. Sure, the Spanish remastered discs are oversaturated as well, but FUNi's discs have more than just "tint" changes. They have contrast and brightness changes, edge enhancement (or DVNR, on the latest releases), and color saturation and balance changes.

I'll show you what I mean later.

-Corey

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:53 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Corey, why do you keep saying that the Funi colors are oversaturated? Oversaturated is the Dragon Box bootleg and the Spanish rematsered DVDs. The tint on the Funi DVDs is different, that's all (and that's not even their fault).
No offense, but you're wrong. Sure, the Spanish remastered discs are oversaturated as well, but FUNi's discs have more than just "tint" changes. They have contrast and brightness changes, edge enhancement (or DVNR, on the latest releases), and color saturation and balance changes.

I'll show you what I mean later.

-Corey
But I thought that since the masters used for the Single releases and movies were on Digigbeta tape, they couldn't do anything to them (which is why they had to use even older masters for the Season set since all Japanese countries are full of uptight bitches and don't give other companies their original masters)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:52 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:But I thought that since the masters used for the Single releases and movies were on Digigbeta tape, they couldn't do anything to them
Eh, they can't telecine them since they're already in a digital format. They can, however, run filters like edge enhancement and make changes to color saturation and so on. Which, FUNimation did.
(which is why they had to use even older masters for the Season set since all Japanese countries are full of uptight bitches and don't give other companies their original masters)
...not quite.

Toei remastered the series from the original masters, which had been in cold storage since their creation. Like most companies, Toei probably offered their licensees new masters for a premium (ala Gainax with Evangelion's "Renewal" masters). These would still, however, be on digibeta since I think most animes are given to licensees in that form. It's rare, if ever, that any company foreign or domestic gives up original masters. Since, if those get ruined...well, they're gone.

-Corey

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Just in case nobody knows yet, the Dragonboxes look like CRAP on computers and new fangled flat panel TVs. Watch them on a decent CRT set, and the Dragonboxes will blow any other release away. I think there was an explanation as to why this is on one of the podcasts, but I don't exactly remember where.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:Just in case nobody knows yet, the Dragonboxes look like CRAP on computers and new fangled flat panel TVs. Watch them on a decent CRT set, and the Dragonboxes will blow any other release away. I think there was an explanation as to why this is on one of the podcasts, but I don't exactly remember where.
Huh? My Movies DBox looks fucking fantastic no matter what display device is used. My CRT monitor, my LCD monitor, and my CRT TV all look fantastic - if anything, the picture looks better as the resolution increases.

The only thing a new LCD TV would do would force higher resolutions and wouldn't bleed colours - both of which make the DBox look better.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:Just in case nobody knows yet, the Dragonboxes look like CRAP on computers and new fangled flat panel TVs. Watch them on a decent CRT set, and the Dragonboxes will blow any other release away. I think there was an explanation as to why this is on one of the podcasts, but I don't exactly remember where.
...uh, not really.

I think what you're thinking of is the fact that most flat panels are a native HD resolution, whereas the DragonBoxes are SD. Sure, they can look horrible when upscaled (just like everything else that is SD, which would be any DVD and most video games), but that's dependent on your setup. I've used Faroudja DCDi, Reon HQV and soon will be using ABT upscaling solutions. The first two made the show look great, though simply allowing my television to upscale never looked bad either.

Again, calibrating any display to make sure you're at reference levels is of the greatest importance.

-Corey

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:44 am

I can agree that the skin looks wrong but the funimation piccolo dose lot better.

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am

I just ordered 13 more Z singles so I'll be up to the android saga.

I'll post some comparison pic's from the Frieza fight once I receive them.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

SSJToreto wrote:I just ordered 13 more Z singles so I'll be up to the android saga.

I'll post some comparison pic's from the Freeza fight once I receive them.
Nice! But, damn... That must be pretty expensive, eh?

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:16 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:
SSJToreto wrote:I just ordered 13 more Z singles so I'll be up to the android saga.

I'll post some comparison pic's from the Freeza fight once I receive them.
Nice! But, damn... That must be pretty expensive, eh?
Yeah, I payed 460$ with shipping. :?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Any idea when that video's gonna go up?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co