Episode #0118 (02 March 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0118 (02 March 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Episode #0118 (download MP3)
57:15; 64 kbps, mono; 26.2 MB

Episode #0118! VegettoEX and Meri try and catch up on the news and general shenanigans from the last week, which proved to be difficult with no internet. Jeff popped in to do another whopping round of the Manga Review of Awesomeness. We're up to Volume 14; Piccolo-Daimao has been defeated, and the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai has begun! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-eighteen* episodes, now.

So it's a day late, but all things considered, I'm pretty impressed we were still able to pull a show together :P. It's a good one, too! I'm sure you'll be able to continue to hear the fanboy excitement in my voice as we move on through the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai.

I'm currently on painkillers and other fun things as I (finally) got those teeth out this morning, so please forgive any fuck-ups along the way with this episode's posting :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey! I just finished listening to #117. Oh well, downloading now. :D

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 pm

Ah, awesomely awesome manga review of well... yeah.

One thing that the anime covered that you guys didn't mention was how they actually gave more meaning to the bell aside from it meaning that you got Karin's approval to get there. Mr. Popo takes the bell from Goku and does his whole disappear/reappear act and asks Goku if there was something weird he noticed. With Goku not exactly being the brightest bulb in the bunch, Popo eventually tells him that the bells didn't ring at all while he moved. I thought that little bit of info added on by the anime was pretty interesting since it gives a sort of goal to work for aside from just wanting to be quicker than lightning, which is pretty hokey if you think about it.

The filler during that period, while seeming appropriate to give a glimpse of what was going on during everyone's training, did start to get a bit stale after a while. But it's always funny to bring about stuff like the volcano scene and the time travel etc.

I agree with you guys that the tournament sagas are always enjoyable since they don't really deliver this feeling of something dire like the entire world could be destroyed at any time. It's just kinda this fun little arc that gives the main characters a reason to possibly end up fighting each other. Though I guess this tournament is a bit different in that there actually is a dire situation what with a newly born Piccolo out to get Goku and all.

Unlike the other time skips before this volume, this one was, of course, different in that you actually see a big change with all the characters wearing what I like to call their "Next Gen" clothes. For a series made in the '80s (maybe even early '90s by now), I'm surprised at how awesome everyone's clothes still look. Though I'm sure that's more because the DB series doesn't exactly copy whatever the current style is in the real world. If I weren't introduced to DBZ first, I probably would have thought that Toriyama would have stuck to giving his characters those street clothes throughout the entire series. Then again, I'm sure fighting would be pretty difficult while wearing some of that stuff, so maybe not. One question that probably crossed my mind while going through this the first time around is "Does Toriyama think turbans are the future?" I mean, you've got your main good and bad guys wearing them, so he must have some kind of connection to them.

I really like how you guys brought up how the anime's slightest different with stuff like the balloon and the rock scene. I actually enjoyed both scenes, but agree that it was really out of character for Piccolo to save the kid like that. The awkweird dub line from the kid's mom, telling Piccolo in a sort of British accent "I'm eternally grateful, sir" always sticks out to me when I see that scene. I dunno why :?...

As always, awesome episode and I'll be looking forward to the next one.

EDIT: Heh, I like how you basically copy and pasted the vol. 13 description for this episode, but completely forgot to remove the part about the 10th anniversary contest winner.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:49 pm

Great episode. I was wondering if the battle against the lava would get a mention. You guys definitely don't disappoint. The predictions were pretty fun too.
DaemonCorps wrote: I really like how you guys brought up how the anime's slightest different with stuff like the balloon and the rock scene. I actually enjoyed both scenes, but agree that it was really out of character for Piccolo to save the kid like that. The awkweird dub line from the kid's mom, telling Piccolo in a sort of British accent "I'm eternally grateful, sir" always sticks out to me when I see that scene. I dunno why :?...
I do agree with Piccolo being out of character in the rock scene (as far as canon goes), but if you take into account the scenes (filler) of Piccolo as a child, it seems to make some sense (for me at least). If I remember corectly, Piccolo is somewhat envious of the little boy who is celebrating (I think) his birthday with family. It seems as if he saves the boy from the falling debris to provide a sense of parental security that he himself was lacking. I don't know. It still isn't in character for Piccolo, but if you take the filler moments that set the scene up, it almost seems justified.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:34 am

FUNimationRocks wrote:Great episode. I was wondering if the battle against the lava would get a mention. You guys definitely don't disappoint. The predictions were pretty fun too.
DaemonCorps wrote: I really like how you guys brought up how the anime's slightest different with stuff like the balloon and the rock scene. I actually enjoyed both scenes, but agree that it was really out of character for Piccolo to save the kid like that. The awkweird dub line from the kid's mom, telling Piccolo in a sort of British accent "I'm eternally grateful, sir" always sticks out to me when I see that scene. I dunno why :?...
I do agree with Piccolo being out of character in the rock scene (as far as canon goes), but if you take into account the scenes (filler) of Piccolo as a child, it seems to make some sense (for me at least). If I remember corectly, Piccolo is somewhat envious of the little boy who is celebrating (I think) his birthday with family. It seems as if he saves the boy from the falling debris to provide a sense of parental security that he himself was lacking. I don't know. It still isn't in character for Piccolo, but if you take the filler moments that set the scene up, it almost seems justified.
I dunno, I like to think of that scene as a hint to Piccolo's future and that maybe he's not as evil as his "father." Though I guess the whole fight with Goku doesn't really do anything to show that...
Trans rights, now!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 am

"The syrup has been secured! All your ihop are belong to us! The tuxeedos have spoken of the tulips!"
Good times. And in a few months, Pickle Covered Cheeseburgers will return.

Heh, when there was talk of the final match of the tournament, I had to wonder ... what if Toriyama had let someone else reach the final round? XD. (Piccolo would probably have quit... umm... which is what Saggat did in SF2, isn't it?).

[edit] Something I forgot to mention... when you talked about the Oozau aura thing, and how it was probably just Toriyama remembering the character's origins... it made me wonder if maybe that's not when he realized that he still hadn't explained that and maybe started thinking about it? :? [/edit]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:37 am

Whoo! I was worried there wasn't going to be a podcast this week.

XxArmageddonX7

Post by XxArmageddonX7 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 am

Awesome. This will probably be the last episode I listen to in a while though..I'm going to be playing Brawl for a while. :)

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Another quality episode, thanks!
XxArmageddonX7 wrote:I'm going to be playing Brawl for a while. :)
Haha, me too! But, it will probably not stop me from listening to my favorite podcast.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Another great podcast! The one I've been waiting for, actually. :P

I loved the ending so much! :lol:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:12 am

Actually, Goku is 18 at this point in the series. Jyust thought I'd throw that out there...He's stated to be 12 at the 21'st Budokai...3 years pass for the 22'nd making him 15...Then another 3 years...18.

Personally, I don't feel that Piccolo is the same villain...Because although he refers to himself as Demon King Piccolo at some points...He also refers to King Piccolo as his father. So they are 2 seperate entities...I guess that's just Toriyama..."Hey. this guys a re-incarnation...but also not". But in reality, Piccolo is infact an offspring which makes him different.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*