Which voice actors would you prefer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:52 am

He wasn't one of the originals, but he was on from season 2-Turbo and was imo one of the best. He was one of my heroes when I was 12.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:57 am

Chuquita wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:I actually pictured him as Goku or Yamcha in the live-action movie. The man does know martial arts.
*Google-image-searches*

Oh man, its like I'm staring right at Yamcha. XD
You're right, he could probably pull off Goku too.

Was this guy one of the original Power Rangers? Like from the first show? I heard he was associated with it.
He was the second black ranger, replacing Walter Jones/Zack. His character was "Adam," and he was in both of the PR movies.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I would suggest someone else for Goku, but as Rocketman mentioned, Sean Schemmel's screams are just too awesome.
I'll agree with this... again. There's really nothing wrong with Schemmel's voice for Goku; it's very fitting. His acting could be a little better, but if the dub's voice direction and script weren't usually so outright shitty, I'm sure nobody would have any problems with him.
That's pretty much why I don't like too many of the Funi dub voices in all of the Dragonball stuff. I really dislike the combination of the poor direction and scriptwriting/deviations that are in Funi's dub. Like, I actually thought Schmemel's Goku sounded pretty good in the 23rd Budokai-end of DB, but I really dislike the "DBZ" Goku from Schmemel because I can't help but feel like whenever he talks, that he's doing a really bad impression of what a superhero should sound like leading to another bad combination.

Granted I still have issues with about 40% of the Funi dub cast but I just know that if the factors that SSj Kaboom mentioned weren't existent then there'd probably be little to complain about.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 am

What Ssj Kaboom said is what's true about the actors that 4Kids uses mainly. They're great on Slayers and TMNT, but on the Jump-based shows outside of Ultimate Muscle that company does, not so great.

And I still say I can picture Sandy Fox doing an English version of Cha-La Head Cha-La. For you guys who aren't familiar with her, Sumomo from Chobits, Marie/Maho from Please Teacher. Here's a song she's done, though it's done to a video of drawings, listen to the audio:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DLCOzO2xU7Y

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:45 am

I dont have a problem with FUNi's actors, I just think the dialogue could be better, and I liked Ian Corlett as Goku

The S
I Live Here

Re: Hmm...

Post by The S » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:36 am

KaiserNeko wrote:-Big arse snipped list-
Holy crap, I'm loving this list. I agree with all of them - except that it needs a Ron Perlman injection somewhere!
Tony Jay as Cold Daio. That would be supremely awesome.
Except I don't think necromancy is suitable for getting voice actors to work.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Snail

Post by Snail » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:58 am

" Johnny Yong Bosch "

Holy shit, that would have been perfect. =(... WHYYY FOX WHYY?!?!

GO BLACK RANGER!!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:11 am

I'm very much attached to the Ocean cast save for a few roles (Perfect Cell, Future Trunks, etc.). Other than that, I don't have so much of a problem with the cast as I do some of the differences in script between the Japanese version and American version.

That's not what this is about, though. This is about voices. Personally, I'd just mix-and-match voices from the Ocean and FUNi cast for the most part. However, I'd make some changes so that Freeza, Vegeta, Kaio, Yajirobe, Kuririn, and the Narrator's voices more closely resemble their Japanese voices.

I'd also make it so that there was a wider range of voices amongst random people, nameless underlings, etc. This means that they wouldn't all end up sounding like Southerners or morons.

Sorry I don't really have any specific names. I'm not really keeping up on anime cast lists nowadays.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:31 pm

This is tough for me. I would say Ocean and Funanimation voices equally.

Goku - Funanimation

Vegeta - Ocean

Piccolo - Funanimation

Android 19 - Ocean

Freeza - Funanimation

Pan - Ocean

Majin Buu - Funanimation

Gill - Ocean

Perfect cell - Funanimation

Second form cell - Ocean

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:34 am

I've recently listened to (for the first time), the Dragonball Final Bout's American voice overs, and to be honest, I love A LOT of them, and think they would've fitted right into the TV series.
So, for the TV series, I'd pick Steven Blum, Brianne Siddall, Skip Stellrecht, ect.. well, I'd have the whole cast EXCEPT for Milton James who is pretty a abysmal Vegeta

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 am

Something interesting occurred to me as of late. For some reason or another I was watching the second season of Digimon and I noticed that all of the children sounded relatively normal. As in you would hear these voices in your every day life. But they were distinguished enough that if I closed my eyes I could tell who was talking. Unlike say the Funimation take on Sanji who sounds normal enough but not nearly distinguished enough for my taste. Anyway I would love for Funimation to have done the same with Dragonball.

For instance the Japanese Vegeta sounds relatively normal, but have you ever heard anyone in real life who sounded like dub Vegeta? The same can be said for all of the dub voices of the children characters with the exception of Dende. I would have liked just to have distinguished yet normal voices. There were some examples of this in the dub too. Such as Adult Gohan, Turles,Goku, Perfect Cell and Trunks. My High School guidance counselor sounds like Captain Ginyu but I'm fairly certain that's a fluke. However I keep having the urge to tell him to shout "Change Now". But again there is also the case of “do these voices fit” for instance Jeice shouldn’t have an Australian accent.

(God I hate spell checking anything related to Dragonball.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:21 pm

I've recently changed my mind about Ocean and I'm beginning to like them better. I love the way Ian Corlett says "Kaioken" because he really puts emphasis on the "Kai" part.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:18 am

NeptuneKai wrote:Something interesting occurred to me as of late. For some reason or another I was watching the second season of Digimon and I noticed that all of the children sounded relatively normal. As in you would hear these voices in your every day life. But they were distinguished enough that if I closed my eyes I could tell who was talking. Unlike say the Funimation take on Sanji who sounds normal enough but not nearly distinguished enough for my taste. Anyway I would love for Funimation to have done the same with Dragonball.

For instance the Japanese Vegeta sounds relatively normal, but have you ever heard anyone in real life who sounded like dub Vegeta? The same can be said for all of the dub voices of the children characters with the exception of Dende. I would have liked just to have distinguished yet normal voices. There were some examples of this in the dub too. Such as Adult Gohan, Tullece,Goku, Perfect Cell and Trunks. My High School guidance counselor sounds like Captain Ginyu but I'm fairly certain that's a fluke. However I keep having the urge to tell him to shout "Change Now". But again there is also the case of “do these voices fit” for instance Jeice shouldn’t have an Australian accent.

(God I hate spell checking anything related to Dragonball.)
I was just thinking almost the same thing about normal sounding voices while watching season three subbed. Most of the Japanese VAs had a almost normal voice thing going on. I think that for some reason, American animated shows try to give their characters "cartoony" voices and not normal ones.

I remember watching an episode of the Simpsons when Sarah Michelle Gellar guest voiced. When it originally aired I was listening closely for her and did not hear anything that sounded like her voice. I found out later that she was the voice of the girl in the girl juvie and I guess she was using a "voice".
Last edited by Anonymous Friend on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 am

I was going to comment on English VAs being able to do the full 'Kamesennin-goofy-to-serious'-range a while ago, but for the life of me, I couldn't think of any.

Then it hit me: Frank Oz. Yoda is an easy example, but even the more fleshed out muppets, like Miss Piggy, have the same vast range.

Also, now that I think of it, Frank Welker has an even bigger range (though I've yet to hear him do it in a single character).