Movies 1 and 2 Blu-ray and DVD Editions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon May 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Can anyone cap this scene? All I know it's from movie 1; I wanna see how FUNi's turned out compared to the Frenchie's remasters.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 am

I'm sorry but I've got to say something here...For close to a year and a half now I've had to hear constant bashing of the Season Sets. Widescreen aside, the complaints have consisted of complaints about bad quality and some blurred detail (All legit complaints of course) and how the sets had nothing on the DBOX release.

And now, here we are with the Movies and we've got direct comparisons to the DBOX and what do we see? A clearer picture on FUNi's release and in my opinion, better colors (The way Remastered Footage is supposed to look). Yet people some people are still complaining and saying it highly pales in comparison to the DBOX. Well I'm sorry but that's just BS. I get the feeling that there really are people out there who just want to put down FUNi's releases.

Now I am not trying to generalize everyone who prefers the DBOX Movies as people who simply want to bash FUNi just to back them. In fact one person said that the quality on FUNi was great yet he prefers the DBOX because it's remastered and beautiful, yet still maintains and older look to it. That's all well & good...But come on, cut Funimation some slack and give credit where credits due.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue May 20, 2008 12:44 am

Well the comparisons between the two have been between lossless .png files nearly two mb in size (Funimation remastered) and 109kb Jpegs (Dragonbox) it's really not a fair comparison.

Anyway, I think the Funimation release looks good, it's crisp and clear (though the colours are a little too dark for my taste), and the grain removal seems to have worked nicely without the detail loss that normally goes hand in hand with Funimation's remastering.

I personally prefer the Dragonbox colours, but as I don't own them, I will have no problem picking up these releases on Blu-Ray, however for now I'm happy with my 4:3 version :P

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 20, 2008 12:51 am

Lavender, the thing is, FUNi's being kinda inconsistent with the releases. The Season Sets do have visual flaws, and are quite bad compared to the DragonBox. The movies so far, apparently, have been given much closer and better treatment, rather than letting the remastering machine or whatever run on autopilot like for the series.

The result: FUNi's Remastered Movies look great, and the first truly respectable releases from them in a while. The series, however, looks like crap in comparison to both those and the DragonBox releases. There's nothing wrong or automatically unlikable about buying them anyway, if the pros outweigh the cons, like for me.

But to deny that the DragonBoxes are on-the-whole to the Seasons (note I didn't say the Remastered movies) is really just ignorant. It's true some of these guys can be harsh and come off as somewhat arrogant about it at times, but to blind yourself to the facts rather than just admit them for what they are, like them or not, is really not much better. Now again, there's really no basis for the Remastered Movies to be outright bashed or called shit or whatever. But although it'd be extremely rude, unnecessary, and often uncalled-for, such a description can fit the Season Sets in some cases.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 20, 2008 2:05 am

[quote="bkev"]Can anyone cap this scene? All I know it's from movie 1; I wanna see how FUNi's turned out compared to the Frenchie's remasters.

Actually, the first french movie set wasn't really remastered...
They said it was going to, but it did not turn out so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 20, 2008 2:07 am

shotkeeper wrote:Man, DBox vs. Remastered is useless. I just hate that if you don't like Dragonbox everyone puts you in a different group. If you get what I mean.
Especially if it's from a DVD rip wich this probably was, given the "compressed", comment.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 am

Kaboom- Hold on, time out. You're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. Re-read part of my post...
Lavender Saiyan wrote:the complaints have consisted of complaints about bad quality and some blurred detail (All legit complaints of course)
I was NEVER trying to say that the Season Sets are even comparable to the DBOX. I don't deny the fact that the DBOX is 100% infinitely superior to the Season Sets.

What I was trying to say was that some of the things people complain about the Season Sets could be says for the DBOX Movies in comparison to FUNi's Remastered Movies.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 am

sangofe wrote:Especially if it's from a DVD rip wich this probably was, given the "compressed", comment.
It was from the actual DVD. Since I couldn't get the original .BMP I took or any other HQ format to load properly on Photobucket or anywhere and didn't want anybody to get all serious because the shot wasn't as good as it could have been I put the comment there. The Movie 2 shots are the same as well. They wouldn't load unless I compressed them. So yeah there's quality loss between shots but it still gives you a good idea of where each of the releases stand in terms of quality.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:And now, here we are with the Movies and we've got direct comparisons to the DBOX and what do we see? A clearer picture on FUNi's release and in my opinion, better colors (The way Remastered Footage is supposed to look). Yet people some people are still complaining and saying it highly pales in comparison to the DBOX.
In this thread? I honestly haven't heard anybody say anything negative about these unless it's true like Desire's "it's too dark sometimes" comment. That's just the truth. You just can't see the background, Goku's hair or darker images in Funi's remaster. But I don't see any of the "bashing" going on here and see people are praising them. This is a competent release but however my complaints about these so far have nothing to do with video or the remastering it's about how it's been released by Funimation on DVD THREE times within the last 11 years. I'm pretty sure that anybody that wanted these movies by now would have bought them and been happy with either the older Pioneer release or the First Strike release from 2 years ago. So yeah, right now my only complaint is a marketing one rather than a "Remaztared sux!@!1", one. As in if this came out say 4 years ago as the second release I would have been the first to buy it.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Now I am not trying to generalize everyone who prefers the DBOX Movies as people who simply want to bash FUNi just to back them. In fact one person said that the quality on FUNi was great yet he prefers the DBOX because it's remastered and beautiful, yet still maintains and older look to it.
I don't see anything wrong with that. I've always liked the softer image and dimmer picture in the Dragonbox accompanied with the "greener" and lighter looking blues in comparison to Funi's works. It's reminded me of when I've seen the colored Jump chapters (minus a few things here and there) but I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm pretty sure Raki said that he likes both too but slightly prefers the Dragonbox one.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:That's all well & good...But come on, cut Funimation some slack and give credit where credits due.
People here are giving them credit. I find no reason to bash this product as it was done with a much better treatment than the TV series and it's devoid of everything that could have gone wrong videowise like the disappearing lines that plague the season sets and it shows. Unfortunately, I think Funi's going to have a hard time trying to get more than us at Daizex to buy the same movie for the 3rd time. I find that the earlier releases were competent enough and if you want to get those then you can still buy them for extremely low prices. So this issue is very much different from the TV series where it was never completed, but you're dealing with movies that we all already have in some form.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:What I was trying to say was that some of the things people complain about the Season Sets could be says for the DBOX Movies in comparison to FUNi's Remastered Movies.
I kinda don't think so. You're discounting the fact that Funi's new version even still has problems from the older releases like a heavier layer of grain and probably still has some damage where the Dragonbox version has a thinner level of grain and was a manually cleaned up 0-th Gen master even though there's still some dirt here and there even with cleanup. Yeah these new sets are great but it kinda just seems like a sharper and brighter version of the First Strike release, to me and doesn't warrant a buy from me.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Kaboom- Hold on, time out. You're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. Re-read part of my post...
Lavender Saiyan wrote:the complaints have consisted of complaints about bad quality and some blurred detail (All legit complaints of course)
I was NEVER trying to say that the Season Sets are even comparable to the DBOX. I don't deny the fact that the DBOX is 100% infinitely superior to the Season Sets.

What I was trying to say was that some of the things people complain about the Season Sets could be says for the DBOX Movies in comparison to FUNi's Remastered Movies.
I absolutley agree with you 110%
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 am

Guys why can't we say they're both good and get on with our lives? I don't see what's so hard about that.

Both the Dragonbox release and Funi's new release are both great products and have virtually no flaws. I don't see why there needs to be an argument over that.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Tue May 20, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah, both own. Now I really wanted to see the Blueray caps. So the guy who have it, please, I know it's annoying, but please I beg of you, upload some Blueray caps.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:55 am

'Bluray'. Please.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 20, 2008 10:51 am

Vekurotto wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:And now, here we are with the Movies and we've got direct comparisons to the DBOX and what do we see? A clearer picture on FUNi's release and in my opinion, better colors (The way Remastered Footage is supposed to look). Yet people some people are still complaining and saying it highly pales in comparison to the DBOX.
In this thread? I honestly haven't heard anybody say anything negative about these unless it's true like Desire's "it's too dark sometimes" comment. That's just the truth. You just can't see the background, Goku's hair or darker images in Funi's remaster. But I don't see any of the "bashing" going on here and see people are praising them.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Noone's "bashing" these releases, all the complaints have been legitimate.

To sum up what I've gathered from this release set:
  • The Funi releases (both DVD and Bluray) have a far better remastering job than the season sets.
    The Funi releases still suffer from colour changes (darkening, over-saturation).
    Bad colour is a deal breaker for me, even in HighDef.
Anyone have the Bluray release? Can we get some caps of that, see if the colours are the same as the DVD?

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:52 am

This is kind of off topic, but my computer has an HDMI port on the back of it, can I hook my PS3 up to this? The port doesn't say in or out, it just says HDMI. Someone help me out, if I can do it that way, I'll be glad to post screencaps of the blu-ray release.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:This is kind of off topic, but my computer has an HDMI port on the back of it, can I hook my PS3 up to this? It the port doesn't say in or out, it just says HDMI. Someone help me out, if I can do it that way, I'll be glad to post screencaps of the blu-ray release.
I'd assume that any ports on your monitor would be 'input' - it does seem weird that a PC monitor would have an HDMI port though. I mean, it's the same pins as the standard DVI port, but I've never seen one labeled HDMI.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 pm

I'd assume that any ports on your monitor would be 'input' - it does seem weird that a PC monitor would have an HDMI port though. I mean, it's the same pins as the standard DVI port, but I've never seen one labeled HDMI.
My computer tower has a HDMI port on the back of it, not the monitor.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:
My computer tower has a HDMI port on the back of it, not the monitor.
Bah, I read your post wrong. Yeah, that's probably an output then.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Tue May 20, 2008 1:19 pm

If it has an HDMI port then you should be able to connect your ps3 with a HDMi cable to your pc and maybe the blueray plays on your computer screen then. Then you only need to play it with VLC or that isn't possible, just make a screenshot.

Really looking forward. I head they are just upscaled, but maybe they really are HD quality.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 pm

There's a simpler way to settle this: assuming the HDMI port is on your video card, ultimateemail5000, what video card do you have?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 20, 2008 3:03 pm

bkev wrote:Can anyone cap this scene? All I know it's from movie 1; I wanna see how FUNi's turned out compared to the Frenchie's remasters.
I'll have a comparison pic up tonight for ya. it's only the new DVD though.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.