Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 102 - GT 1-5

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 102 - GT 1-5

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 102 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

The beginning of the end. Awesome Tokunaga music, the best animation in the franchise, and in my opinion, the very beginnings of GT in terms of actual episode quality are stronger than most give it credit for, but I'll get into that in more detail in a separate post, later on.

Do note that we've changed the format of trivia for GT. We'll now be listing trivia relevant to each episode underneath that episode, rather than having all the trivia in a list at the bottom of the post. This would have been difficult when the primary source of trivia was just KBABZ reading the manga, but since KBABZ and I are both watching the show now, there's no problems with the manga chapters not lining up precisely with the episodes. Since we're also ending up with a lot more trivia per episode, this separation of trivia is possible, and so the new layout will be quite beneficial, we think.

Previous thread: Week 101 (DBZ movie 13, episodes 289-291)
Next thread: Week 103 (GT 6-10)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 445 - The Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes a Child?! (GT episode 1)
Ocean dub title: The Mysterious Dragonballs Appear! Goku Becomes a Child!
Funimation dub title: A Devastating Wish
Originally aired 7th of February 1996

Written by: Aya Matsui
Episode director: Osamu Kasai
Animation supervisor: Kazuya Hisada

The Pilaf gang returns to use a new set of Dragon Balls, and they accidentally squander their wish on making Goku a child.

Anime-only/filler content: All of it. Huh, how about that...

Post-Manga, Pre-GT trivia:
OP and English dubs trivia:
GT episode 1 trivia:

Episode 446 - I’m the Star! Pan Blasts Off into Space!! (GT episode 2)
Ocean dub title: I'll Take the Lead: Pan Takes Off Into Space!
Funimation dub title: Pan Blasts Off
Originally aired 14th of February 1996

Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Some kidnappers try to hold Goku for ransom. Meanwhile, Trunks is bored with his job and both he and Goten are total slackers, so Vegeta thinks up a plan to whip them into shape. While this is all going on, Pan is tired of being treated like a child, so she plans to sneak on board the ship.

Anime-only/filler content: Still all of it. What's going on?

Trivia:

Episode 447 - Super Greedy!! The Merchant Planet Imegga (GT episode 3)
Ocean dub title: Imecka, a Planet of Super-Calculating Merchants!
Funimation dub title: Terror on Imecka
Originally aired 21st of February 1996

Episode director: Kazuhito Kikuchi
Animation supervisor: Yūji Hakamada

The gang crash land on a planet of Americans greedy salesmen; they lose their ship, their radar, seemingly everything!

Anime-only/filler content: Yeah, seriously, none of this was in the manga.

Trivia:

Episode 448 - Wanted!! Goku’s on the Wanted List?! (GT episode 4)
Ocean dub title: A Criminal: Goku Gets on the Most Wanted List!
Funimation dub title: The Most Wanted List
Originally aired 28th of February 1996

Written by: Masashi Kubota
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Toshiyuki Kan'no

The gang are put on the most wanted list for stealing their ship back.

Anime-only/filler content: Still everything.

Trivia:

Episode 449 - Finding a Strong Guy!! The Bodyguard Redjic (GT episode 5)
Ocean dub title: Find the Tough Guy: Lezick the Bodyguard!
Funimation dub title: Goku vs. Ledgic
Originally aired 6th of March 1996

Written by: Masashi Kubota
Episode director: Hiroyuki Kakudō
Animation supervisor: Shingo Ishikawa

To free the people of Imegga from their terrible overlord, Goku must fight Redjic, the bodyguard.

Anime-only/filler content: Ya know what, I give up.

Trivia:
____

Trivia primarily written by KBABZ. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 102 - GT 1-5 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm

I don't know why, but GT and Star Wars keep getting linked in my brain. Maybe it's because the Phantom Menace premiered around the time I started watching GT, and that the first arc is kinda SW-esque.
I know it's like frowned upon to like the first 15 episodes, but I really enjoy the grand touring. The new planets and characters, the new environments, DB never went so much out of their confort zone, the grimmer look.

Also, daaaamn GT Perfect Files couldn't even get the standing of the G and the T right? and people still take to heart whatever bull they've included.

The hiatus between Z and GT has always been up in the air, it's 5 years, but I grew up thinking it was a whole decade, based on magazines and stuff.

--
Also, maybe I missed the trivia, but did Vegeta, in the original dub, say to Trunks and Goten, that Gohan wasn't slacking when giving them a reason for why they are going instead of Gohan?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm I know it's like frowned upon to like the first 15 episodes, but I really enjoy the grand touring. The new planets and characters, the new environments, DB never went so much out of their confort zone, the grimmer look.
I like them too. Personally I think the problem with GT's original concept is that unlike the Red Ribbon arc, there's no persistent opposing force or character to act as the villain. The opening DB arc doesn't have this (Pilaf doesn't count, c'mon) but supplements it with a focus on the characters who for the most part get along or at least don't bicker as much, so it's fun to just be with them as they search for each ball. When Toei introduces some, it's the INCREDIBLY messy dogpile that starts with the Para-Para Brothers and ends with Baby.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm The hiatus between Z and GT has always been up in the air, it's 5 years, but I grew up thinking it was a whole decade, based on magazines and stuff.
I personally prefer Funimation's gap of 10 years, because it justifies why Pan is taller than Kid Goku as well as her having a boyfriend in Episode 1.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm Also, maybe I missed the trivia, but did Vegeta, in the original dub, say to Trunks and Goten, that Gohan wasn't slacking when giving them a reason for why they are going instead of Gohan?
I don't recall hearing him refer to Gohan specifically when I watched with the Japanese audio.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm

The 10 year from the end of the Z also makes Bra/Bura/Bulla/Bulma Jr’s character design easier to swallow because it makes her 13 not 8.

I actually quite like what Blue Water did with the theme taking the instrumental of the Japanese theme and creating a song with entirely different lyrics to fit in with a more western style of cartoon theme songs, not unlike what Harmony Gold attempted actually. The more faithful Funimation opening they brought in for the 2008 remaster wasn’t bad but it falls into that “This is clearly a Japanese song being awkwardly translated and sung in English” something Funimation had avoided with their renditions of Mystical Adventure and I’ll Give you Romance

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm I know it's like frowned upon to like the first 15 episodes, but I really enjoy the grand touring. The new planets and characters, the new environments, DB never went so much out of their confort zone, the grimmer look.
I like them too. Personally I think the problem with GT's original concept is that unlike the Red Ribbon arc, there's no persistent opposing force or character to act as the villain. The opening DB arc doesn't have this (Pilaf doesn't count, c'mon) but supplements it with a focus on the characters who for the most part get along or at least don't bicker as much, so it's fun to just be with them as they search for each ball. When Toei introduces some, it's the INCREDIBLY messy dogpile that starts with the Para-Para Brothers and ends with Baby.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm The hiatus between Z and GT has always been up in the air, it's 5 years, but I grew up thinking it was a whole decade, based on magazines and stuff.
I personally prefer Funimation's gap of 10 years, because it justifies why Pan is taller than Kid Goku as well as her having a boyfriend in Episode 1.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 pm Also, maybe I missed the trivia, but did Vegeta, in the original dub, say to Trunks and Goten, that Gohan wasn't slacking when giving them a reason for why they are going instead of Gohan?
I don't recall hearing him refer to Gohan specifically when I watched with the Japanese audio.
Yeah, the first 15 episodes you don't really know where this is going; sure, they are searching for the DBs so the Earth doesn't go boom, but besides that, there's nothing else aside of the bad guy of the week of the planet they are currently visiting at the moment.

But even so, I still enjoy the slice-of-life-in-outer-space episodes... it's feels like an extension of the opening.

Also, yeah, the 10 year gap sounds much better than just 5... consider, well considering everything in GT. Designs, stuff that happens, powerscaling, character development, everything.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm I actually quite like what Blue Water did with the theme taking the instrumental of the Japanese theme and creating a song with entirely different lyrics to fit in with a more western style of cartoon theme songs, not unlike what Harmony Gold attempted actually. The more faithful Funimation opening they brought in for the 2008 remaster wasn’t bad but it falls into that “This is clearly a Japanese song being awkwardly translated and sung in English” something Funimation had avoided with their renditions of Mystical Adventure and I’ll Give you Romance
Me and Robo were talking about this over Discord, and I think the reason why is because their English versions of GT's songs were only ever heard on the DVDs. The OG-DB songs however were on the original TV broadcasts in 2001-3, so much more effort was put into their production. Similarly, their "song that plays over the Japanese intros" was also quite low-effort. This theory carries through to Kai as well: I don't think it's a co-incidence that the version of Dragon Soul that went to broadcast (Vic's) happens to be the one that sounds the best of the six.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 pm Also, yeah, the 10 year gap sounds much better than just 5... consider, well considering everything in GT. Designs, stuff that happens, powerscaling, character development, everything.
Makes me wonder just WHERE the GT Perfect Files say they got 5 years from. Because I'm starting to think it was never decided upon and it was just made up for the book! Vegetto, halp??

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:32 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 pm Also, yeah, the 10 year gap sounds much better than just 5... consider, well considering everything in GT. Designs, stuff that happens, powerscaling, character development, everything.
Makes me wonder just WHERE the GT Perfect Files say they got 5 years from. Because I'm starting to think it was never decided upon and it was just made up for the book! Vegetto, halp??
I believe GT PF had 10 years, when it actually were 5.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:43 pm

I can tell that the thought process at first with decisions made in the series early on like having Goku get de aged to a child again, and the adventure aspect of his, Pan's and Trunks' travels through space in the first 20 some odd episodes was clearly done with the intention of trying to essentially recapture that adventureous feeling of the original Dragon Ball series. Not to mention that it premiered on TV just a few weeks before the tenth anniversary of the anime itself, so surely that played a factor to some degree regarding the tone of those early episodes before transferring midway through with the Baby arc into more DBZ style action for the second half.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:25 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:38 pm I believe GT PF had 10 years, when it actually were 5.
So where does 5 years come from then??

EDIT: Also did anyone notice the logo we used for this week? :wink:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:25 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:38 pm I believe GT PF had 10 years, when it actually were 5.
So where does 5 years come from then??

EDIT: Also did anyone notice the logo we used for this week? :wink:
I believe(and I'm probably 95% wrong) it was on an official website or something of that sort(maybe when stating Goku's age?) .

The show never even attempts addressing the time skip, but I think the English dub and GTPF went with 10 years and we all went with it and because it makes more sense. This seems to be a case for Mr. VegettoEX.

Also yeah, what's up with the logo? Did Future Gohan or Cyborg Tao draw it?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I have no idea about the Funi dub, but in Japanese and in the Ocean/Blue Water dub, Goten asks Vegeta why Gohan isn't going (as he said he would earlier in the episode). Vegeta's response is as follows...
Japanese: This was my suggestion. It would be best if you two went, since you've been slacking off with your training. Going together with Kakarrot will be a good experience for you.
Ocean: I convinced him to stay. He's not the one who's been neglecting his training and getting soft like you two have. Going on this mission will do the two of you a world of good.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm I actually quite like what Blue Water did with the theme taking the instrumental of the Japanese theme and creating a song with entirely different lyrics to fit in with a more western style of cartoon theme songs, not unlike what Harmony Gold attempted actually. The more faithful Funimation opening they brought in for the 2008 remaster wasn’t bad but it falls into that “This is clearly a Japanese song being awkwardly translated and sung in English” something Funimation had avoided with their renditions of Mystical Adventure and I’ll Give you Romance
Agreed.

I do still prefer the Japanese vesrion, but the Ocean version of the GT OP is honestly very nice, and doesn't sound overly like a translated piece of work... which is honestly something that applies to the whole dub: It's not 100% accurate to the original literal words said in Japanese, but you're not missing anything and you're not being fed any nonsense; the differences are all acceptable adaptational choices that create a more natural script than if you had a bunch of actors just read the subtitles, and it does all that while fitting in the lip flaps.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:52 pm Also yeah, what's up with the logo? Did Future Gohan or Cyborg Tao draw it?
It's a slight edit of Toriyama's original draft drawing of GT's logo. KBABZ and I thought it would be fun to go with the sketch version for the first GT week. Here's what the original looked like:

---

KBABZ thought of a couple of extra trivia entries. I've added them to the OP, but for anyone who's already read it:
  • Missed trivia: In the filler where Goku takes Pan through the Tournament attractions, he holds her up on his shoulders so she can be level with the bunny mascot, despite the fact that she can fly.
  • The Octopus Ship is the second spaceship in the show to have a circular platform that rises up between levels, after the Namekian Ship found in Yunzabit. Both take the main characters to their grand adventure in space.
With the housekeeping and responses out of the way, it's time to inflict my opinions on you all. Muahahaha!...

Don't expect this kind of comparison to become a regular thing, but to give a taste of the difference between the Ocean/Blue Water and Funimation dubs of GT, here's a comparison of the Simmons subtitled, Ocean dubbed, and Funimation dubbed versions of a scene from episode 4:

Simmons:
Ocean:
Funimation:
And, my thoughts on this comparison, and on the Ocean/Blue Water dub more generally:
As for my thoughts on GT episodes 1-5 themselves... Episode 1's first half is, in my opinion, very strong. The second half is a little weaker, but still good. Episode 2 is mostly not very good, just a little dull and trite. Episodes 3-5, however, I really like. It feels like a different take on Dragon Ball that still keeps the essential ingredients, and ends up being a lot of fun. I liked it, and I'm looking forward to watching episodes 6-10 (though I remember episodes 6-8 being the very worst GT has to offer).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Oh GT!

I enjoy GT, particularly when taken alone as its own thing and not as a legit continuation of the original story. It's ridiculous and nonsensical, but that's really a part of its charm, I guess.

GT lets you know right off the bat just how absurd it is, starting in the very first episode. It's like each new plot development becomes increasingly silly one after the other. But at least it's trying to do something different!

What I enjoy most in these episodes and probably the whole show is Yūko Minaguchi as Pan. She brings real life to the character and a welcome new energy to the series.

The music and OPs and EDs in this show are all great, but I tend to avoid them because they are too easy to get stuck in the head.

I like Otokosukī fawning over Trunks in the crowd at Capsule Corp!

GT really does Roshi dirty in the first episode. That might be the character's lowest point in DB at the time. And he sounded terrible.

No, the 5 years comes from the Perfect Files. 10 years was a popular fan theory and then Funimation.

I have zero problems with Pan going out on a date in the first episode and think it's cute. Little kids around ten like to act mature and go on dates, plus it's funny and fits the character.

I also totally ship Pan and Trunks in these episodes.

Redjic's name should actualy be rendered as Redict, as his name is a rearrangement of the word credit.
It's a rearrangement of the word "credit" without the t. So "Redic" would probably be more accurate. "Redjic" is taking into account the Japanese ji kana used to approximate the "di" sound in the English word, so while an equally accurate spelling, it obscures the pun somewhat.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:27 pm

GT really does Roshi dirty in the first episode. That might be the character's lowest point in DB at the time. And he sounded terrible.
Indeed, and Kohei Miyauchi's passing less than a year earlier near the end of DBZ was a huge blow. Hiroshi Masouka and Kinpei Aizawa despite their best efforts and talent (i've heard them both in other roles) weren't able to deliver performances as Roshi that lived up to Miyauchi. I think the only one that has really been able to come close is Masaharu Sato from Kai onward.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 pm

Hope y'all don't mind me barging in on your rewatch at the 11th hour, but I've been looking for an excuse to do a GT rewatch anyway, so, here I am. I've only watched Episode 1 atm so I'll keep giving more thoughts as I watch.

Positives:
-I really enjoy how unbothered Goku is by his transformation. To his knowledge atm, it doesn't affect his life in any real way, by Goku logic anyway, so it's very in character for him to act this way.

-I like how we see that Pan has gone on a similar path to her mother, fighting crime. Her then being revealed to be a "crybaby" kinda reminds me of how Z Episode 1 puts Gohan in similar situations to Goku in DB #1, but has him react very differently to show the contrast between the two.

-This first episode does a good job of establishing much the updated "status quo" for GT in a succinct manner.

-The music is phenomenal, frankly some of the best in the franchise. Tokunaga knocks it out of the park for the entire series.

Negatives:
-I find the existence of the Dark Dragon Balls...confusing. How do they still exist after Kami's death/merger? Dende clearly didn't restore them like he did with the other set of balls, since he didn't even know where they were ("Apparently, the previous God put them away deep within the temple.") Hell, how did they exist after Kami split into two beings, for that matter? Why does Popo know almost everything about them but neglect to mention the part about the Earth's destruction? How was Pilaf of all people able to find out about them? Just a headache, imo.

-Speaking of Pilaf, it kinda bothers me a bit that they're so integral to the inciting incident of GT, but then basically disappear aside from a brief cameo at the end of the Baby arc. If they're going to bring them back, they should've done more with them, or found a more relevant character(s) to use instead.

-I'm also not a big fan of how the premise of Z's ending, that of Goku training Oob, is pretty much glossed over. I feel that if you're going to continue past the manga's ending, you're obligated to do something meaningful with that.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:21 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 pm -I find the existence of the Dark Dragon Balls...confusing. How do they still exist after Kami's death/merger? Dende clearly didn't restore them like he did with the other set of balls, since he didn't even know where they were ("Apparently, the previous God put them away deep within the temple.") Hell, how did they exist after Kami split into two beings, for that matter? Why does Popo know almost everything about them but neglect to mention the part about the Earth's destruction? How was Pilaf of all people able to find out about them? Just a headache, imo.
The GT stuff isn't supposed to make much sense. You kind of have to just go with it...

But as far as the Black Star Balls, they were created when God and Piccolo were one singular being. So the logic is that post-merger they still exist, as long as Piccolo still lives. They didn't go away after the split because the original God/Piccolo still existed via the two halves.

Pilaf was the one who released Piccolo Daimao from his seal, and they were allies briefly. It kind of makes sense that he might know. Well, not really...

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 pm -Speaking of Pilaf, it kinda bothers me a bit that they're so integral to the inciting incident of GT, but then basically disappear aside from a brief cameo at the end of the Baby arc. If they're going to bring them back, they should've done more with them, or found a more relevant character(s) to use instead.
Pilaf and co. are gag characters in essence. Their place in the series ended during the early arcs. However, I agree that we could have at least seen more of them in short bursts, but GT would probably have had to continue on for longer in order for that to happen.

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 pm -I'm also not a big fan of how the premise of Z's ending, that of Goku training Oob, is pretty much glossed over. I feel that if you're going to continue past the manga's ending, you're obligated to do something meaningful with that.
The manga's ending was never really about Oob, it was about Goku. That's why Oob just takes off like nothing at the start of the first episode, because it truly was about the manga ending and not much else. The whole point was that Goku was always looking for stronger people to fight, and that would never change. We didn't need to see the training, we saw that they had their big fight. And Oob returns to fight later on.

If the Oob stuff seems random and awkward in GT, that's probably because GT is continuing on past the ending of the story, so it's all unnatural to begin with.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:29 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:52 pm Also yeah, what's up with the logo? Did Future Gohan or Cyborg Tao draw it?
It's a slight edit of Toriyama's original draft drawing of GT's logo. KBABZ and I thought it would be fun to go with the sketch version for the first GT week. Here's what the original looked like:
Absolutely! As I point out in my trivia, I feel that GT's final logo adheres to Toriyama's sketch a bit too closely; it lacks the solid confidence of the logos Toriyama would devise for the mangas like Shenlong Straight, Shenlong Shuffle or the Tankobon logo.

This is why I personally prefer Funi's version: it's overly edgy, but it doesn't look like a dossied-up sketch like the Japanese logo. Thus their revised logo for use in video games is close to the best of both worlds by making GT white:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:31 am

Oh nice, we're finally doing it! Many of the things I wanted to point out are already included in the Trivia, well done :clap:
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:40 pm
  • Pan, not realizing that the kid she saved is Goku, tells him that he should let an older girl like herself handle the robbery. This is hypocritical because she's 10: the youngest Goku can possibly be after Pilaf's wish is 12, since that's the youngest Pilaf ever saw him.
It's true that statement is hypocritical, but Pan herself isn't. She had no idea to know about his age and judged him by his size, and Kid Goku is considerably smaller than she is. If he was an ordinary boy then she would be correct, but since he's a Saiyan who ages slowly..
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:40 pm
  • While Goku's inability to use Instant Transmission is pretty transparently a way to depower him and add some tension, it doesn't excuse GT for constantly forgetting that these characters can fly and are able to lift entire buildings, one of its most frequent mistakes (for example, there's no need for them to jump across the beams in the scrapper's yard).
I believe it's just done for the adventure factor, they could fly and solve everything instantly if they wanted, but that's not the point of exploring new planets. In Episode 5 they did lift these gigantic shelfs like it's nothing.
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 pm (though I remember episodes 6-8 being the very worst GT has to offer).
I found all three of these pretty enjoyable, and it's Episode 9 that drags on and doesn't do much.

All things considered, I'm enjoying GT and particularly liked the action scenes in Episode 4, where the trio fights off the security guards. It's animated very nicely and overall fun. If only we could get a Dragon Ball Musou game with this kind of spectacle, it would be great 8)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Episode 2: I’m the Star! Pan Blasts Off into Space!!

Positives:
-I feel like I see this episode disparaged a lot for being boring, but personally I found to be just fine. The scenario of Goku being kidnapped, but being too oblivious to even notice, is a fun idea that gets a few laughs. Incidentally, I've been watching some Dr. Slump recently, and it occurs to me that this scenario is extremely similar to Episode 6b of that series, "Arale is Kidnapped!". I wonder if it's an intentional reference/recycling, or if it's just a coincidence.

-This episode does a good job of establishing Trunks and Goten's characters as they will be depicted in GT, and similar to the last episode, I think there's some solid world building here regarding the current status quo of Dragon World.

-For the moment anyway, I'm enjoying Pan's character. Wanting to be taken more seriously at a young age is a feeling many people can relate to having had as a kid, and this is probably amplified by the feats/importance of her family.

-Since it's introduced here, I'll mention it: this series has far and away my favorite Adult Trunks outfit. Not much to say here, just think it looks great.

Negatives:
-As much as I found the stuff with Goku being kidnapped to be fun, it does occur to me that the previous episode felt a little weirdly paced, and threw a lot of new info at the viewer about the Dark Dragon Balls. I feel like maybe they could have trimmed down some of the, again fun, but in the grand scheme of things unnecessary Goku kidnapping plot to move some of the info from the previous episode. This kind of weird pacing is something I remember there being a lot of in GT.

-On the flip side of the design coin, good lord, what did they do to Vegeta!? I sincerely do not understand how anyone at Toei thought that design looked good.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:11 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 pm Incidentally, I've been watching some Dr. Slump recently, and it occurs to me that this scenario is extremely similar to Episode 6b of that series, "Arale is Kidnapped!". I wonder if it's an intentional reference/recycling, or if it's just a coincidence.
Considering they also reused the Oolong village story idea, I'd say this is intentional.
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 pm -On the flip side of the design coin, good lord, what did they do to Vegeta!? I sincerely do not understand how anyone at Toei thought that design looked good.
If you read our trivia, you'd know that it's a Toriyama design. Toei would design Vegeta's revision in the Baby Arc where Bra calls him out on how dumb he looks and he shaves it off (and his hair is back to normal too). C'mon man I didn't spend three days working on trivia for you to not read it!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:15 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:11 pmIf you read our trivia, you'd know that it's a Toriyama design. Toei would design Vegeta's revision in the Baby Arc where Bra calls him out on how dumb he looks and he shaves it off (and his hair is back to normal too). C'mon man I didn't spend three days working on trivia for you to not read it!
My bad, apologies for not reading it then. I'll be sure to look over the trivia stuff going forward, seems like you put a lot of work into it!