Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - General Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo78

Post by Saikyo78 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I'm getting different answers everywhere I go! I figure this would be the place where I find out.

I'm stoked that the US version of Burst Limit has a japanese voice option.
However, can anyone confirm that the in-game music is different from the japanese version? I have had some people tell me that there is no difference at all, and others tell me that the japanese version features music direct from the anime itself.

Again, I'm sorry if this has been discussed as I couldn't find it in the previous threads. It would mean a great deal to me, seeing as importing the game will be quite a jump in price...thank you guys for any help!!!

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 pm

It's been stated that Playstation 3 will have DLC to get Yoda and X-box 360 will have Darth Vader (basically the opposite of whichever one was included as your special character).
They're already on the disc. You're not actually downloading them, what you're downloading is an unlock for them.

That's how all of Namco-Bandai's games work with DLC, they don't do actual DLC, they just lock away stuff on their games that you have to unlock with DLC, ie you're paying more for what you already own.

That's why I said aside from what's already on the disc.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Saikyo78 wrote:I apologize if this has been discussed, but I'm getting different answers everywhere I go! I figure this would be the place where I find out.

I'm stoked that the US version of Burst Limit has a japanese voice option.
However, can anyone confirm that the in-game music is different from the japanese version? I have had some people tell me that there is no difference at all, and others tell me that the japanese version features music direct from the anime itself.

Again, I'm sorry if this has been discussed as I couldn't find it in the previous threads. It would mean a great deal to me, seeing as importing the game will be quite a jump in price...thank you guys for any help!!!
I haven't switched over to the Japanese audio yet. I save that kind of thing for my second or third playthroughs. If no one answers before I check it out I'll let you know.
TAS wrote:
It's been stated that Playstation 3 will have DLC to get Yoda and X-box 360 will have Darth Vader (basically the opposite of whichever one was included as your special character).
They're already on the disc. You're not actually downloading them, what you're downloading is an unlock for them.

That's how all of Namco-Bandai's games work with DLC, they don't do actual DLC, they just lock away stuff on their games that you have to unlock with DLC, ie you're paying more for what you already own.

Well, and I'm only asking because this is the Internet you know, do you have any sources to back this up? That seems pretty stupid seeing how people have been able to modify their consoles and such and would be able to find some way around the faux-DLC.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:

Well, and I'm only asking because this is the Internet you know, do you have any sources to back this up? That seems pretty stupid seeing how people have been able to modify their consoles and such and would be able to find some way around the faux-DLC.
You probably download the bitmaps and such that are for the icons/buttons that you select in the menu/whatever. Like if we already had a Buu on the disc, and we just need to download the bitmaps for the button to select him in versus mode. That's what I figure, since that's how it's done in HALO 3 (as to why you can view films that occurred on Avalanche, Blackout, and Ghost Town despite not owning the Legendary Map Pack).

Cartman Blues
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cartman Blues » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:18 pm

TAS wrote:
Hey! I know they won't do this because they want money, but why don't they eventually update with the Buu Saga and a bunch more characters and fusion, instead of Burst Limit 2? (For XBL points, of course)
They'll never do that.

There won't be any DLC, it's been confirmed in interviews already, which I found surprising, but only because they admitted flat out that there wouldn't be any when asked about it rather then trying to dodge it.

Also note that Burst Limit isn't the first next gen fighting game, ie Dead or Alive 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken: Dark Ressurection have all come out on either the PS3 or 360, and none of them had DLC. Soul Calibur IV won't have any DLC either aside from what's already on the disc.

Fighting games seem like a natural source for DLC however the truth of the matter is that they never have DLC for multiple reasons. For instance let's they made Zarbon, Dodoria, Coola, Garlic.Jr, etc, as DLC and they released each one monthly, well it make playing online really difficult because whoever your playing would have to have all the exact same DLC you have and if everything (characters, stages, costumes) were released seperately it be problematic for the online mode. Now of course they could make a single expansion pack to make it easier, but they'd rather save that content for a sequel as they don't get a lot of time to develop sequels and it would just limit what new stuff they could have in BL2 if they were releasing DLC.

The other thing people have to realize about DLC is that at most you usually only have around 30% of people that bought the game buying the DLC, and given that DLC doesn't make very much (or any) profit along with the time having to spend on something that most people aren't going to experience, ontop of the fact that first parties like Sony and 360 get a cut of the DLC profit most developers don't want to do DLC.

DLC has lots of potential for what can be done with games, however it's not very viable, thus you don't see many companies doing it, or when they do something it's not all that major.
I first played online when I only had the default characters and the other guy chose Trunks..sooooo....And those DL characters suck, no offense. :) They should have Super Saiyan 2 Goku downloadable, at least.
desirecampbell wrote:
Nothing is ever mentioned that being part human would impede the transformation to SSj4. Vegeta's body was literally invaded by an alien being

Rocketman wrote:
So was ChiChi's.

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Very Hard Mode and above in this game is a blast, especially when you get the computer opponent down to below 2 bars of health, they really go to town on you with an assload of combos and all kinds of crap.

Made me a bit angry in the Goku vs Freeza fight a few times, but I eventually pulled through :D

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, and I'm only asking because this is the Internet you know, do you have any sources to back this up?

I was just at Captivate 08 (Capcom's Media Summit) a couple weeks ago talking to Shane Bettenhausen (EGM, 1UP) about it along with a couple other journalists. There's also an episode of 1UP Yours where they talk about how Namco-Bandai handles DLC.
That seems pretty stupid seeing how people have been able to modify their consoles and such and would be able to find some way around the faux-DLC.
They don't need to be able to modify/hack their consoles, they need to be able to hack the game disc, which isn't as easy in this generation due to the lack of hack devices like Gameshark on the next gen systems, and for the people that have gotten caught hacking on on XBLA they get banned from online play for I forget how long and have all their achievements removed.

It's true that people have been able to get around paying for DLC, but that has nothing to do with the content being or not being on the disc already.
I first played online when I only had the default characters and the other guy chose Trunks..sooooo....
....that means Trunks (and every other character you play against online) is playable in the game, and already on the game disc.

It doesn't matter if you've unlocked the characters or not, just as long as they're on the game disc, however if I were to download to download a digital file for my game that's not on the disc, like a character, costume, stage, etc, then there's no way we could play one another as we don't have the same content, it has nothing to do with locked or unlocked, it has to do with the content being there or not.
And those DL characters suck, no offense.
I just listed off a couple characters off the top of my head that were from either the Saiyan, Freeza, or Cell Sagas. It be dumb to suggest Buu Saga stuff since there's no Buu Saga in the game, and be far too much content for a digital download.
They should have Super Saiyan 2 Goku downloadable, at least.
Why? There's nothing to do with it, ie there would be no way to unlock it in Z Chronicles unless they added more cutscenes, Majin Vegeta, etc.

If they were going to include stuff it should be all the content they finished but that Bandai had them (Dimps) cut from the game like the Trunks Vs Freeza fight.

There were a number of things made and finished for Burst Limit that were supposed to be in the final game, but Bandai had Dimps remove various things from the final game just so it seem like they'd be adding a lot more content to Burst Limit 2.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:16 am

mrkaizoku wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:Another thing I noticed about this recycled game is the fact that every fucking character beyond the Saiyan saga will just stand there and block. No matter how many times I hit the character, all they want to do is block! That's no fun at all. This game has seriously pissed me off beyond "burst limits." They might as well called it DragonBall Z: Block Limit.

That's why you have to break their guard. Once you do that the computer will definitely fight back.
No shit, but it's lame when that's all they do.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

No shit, but it's lame when that's all they do.
While the blocking can get annoying at times it nothing compared to the way the AI abused the Aura Guard in Shin Budokai 2.

For those who didn't play SB2, imagine nothing being able to get through the Aura Guard, ie no melee moves, no Death Moves, Ultimates, etc, and the AI would always time it perfectly to the point where they'd have it last just long enough to the point where they didn't completely drain their own ki and could still do death moves, teleport counters, etc.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 am

Right now, I'm playing in Very Hard mode. Man, there is a lot of blocking, but it's a hell of a lot better than normal difficulty. One thing that Burst Limit did right IMO, is that they made somewhat neglected characters like Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Saibamen, really good, cool characters. The music is fantastic, love the Goku v.s. Freeza fight.

P.S: When I meant neglected characters, I meant video game wise. In what other DB/Z game did Tenshinhan have a kickass fist strike?.

Also, how the hell do I use Spirit Ball( sorry, don't know the Japanese name of the attack...)? I shoot it and it never comes back.
Last edited by LSSJ4 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:41 am

TAS wrote:While the blocking can get annoying at times it nothing compared to the way the AI abused the Aura Guard in Shin Budokai 2.
Ugh, tell me about it.

Me: "Stop blocking my Spirit Bomb, you &@&# little !@#*& with your @#$!y !@$&! I'll @*&$ your @#*!& so badly you'll have to @!$@* through a tube~!"

The only thing that can break through it are grabs, and those Aura-charged Strong Melees. And it's SO satisfying when they connect.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 am

LSSJ4 wrote:Also, how the hell do I use Spirit Ball( sorry, don't know the Japanese name of the attack...)? I shoot it and it never comes back.
Keep tapping "B" (assuming you're on the 360). I think, anyway.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
LSSJ4 wrote:Also, how the hell do I use Spirit Ball( sorry, don't know the Japanese name of the attack...)? I shoot it and it never comes back.
Ah,thanks. I'm playin' the PS3 version, so I guess, circle?.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:06 pm

LSSJ4 wrote:
Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
Ah,thanks. I'm playin' the PS3 version, so I guess, circle?.
Whatever the generic Ki button is now-a-days.

Speaking of Ki, does anyone know why you can't charge it in this game? I have a few ideas, but I want to hear what you guys think before I go blabbering on about it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:Speaking of Ki, does anyone know why you can't charge it in this game? I have a few ideas, but I want to hear what you guys think before I go blabbering on about it.
Probably just as a way of being different from all the other DBZ games. VegettoEX and Meri mentioned liking that aspect of the game in the last podcast because it was something different.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm

TAS wrote:
....that means Trunks (and every other character you play against online) is playable in the game, and already on the game disc.

It doesn't matter if you've unlocked the characters or not, just as long as they're on the game disc, however if I were to download to download a digital file for my game that's not on the disc, like a character, costume, stage, etc, then there's no way we could play one another as we don't have the same content, it has nothing to do with locked or unlocked, it has to do with the content being there or not.
Rock Band is an easy game to draw a parallel with here. You can play in a band online with any song from the game, regardless of how far into their solo careers each individual member is. But if everyone playing hasn't downloaded a specific DLC song... you aren't playing that song online. I have yet to actually play a single DLC song online actually (only in friend-made bands at parties, since I just bring my hard drive with me).

They could put out characters similar to Naruto. I think that's basically theft, but hey.

Wow, could you imagine Marvel Vs Capcom 2 with today's mentality of "screw unlocking, just sell 'em to them for $3-4 apiece?" Hell, fricken Naruto, they charged me I think 150 points for dual-language, then went and made the update free. I hate DLC. Anyway...
TAS wrote: While the blocking can get annoying at times it nothing compared to the way the AI abused the Aura Guard in Shin Budokai 2.

For those who didn't play SB2, imagine nothing being able to get through the Aura Guard, ie no melee moves, no Death Moves, Ultimates, etc, and the AI would always time it perfectly to the point where they'd have it last just long enough to the point where they didn't completely drain their own ki and could still do death moves, teleport counters, etc.
Dear God I had nearly forgotten. Priiiiide busters. All this charge up and fanfare for the largest attacks in the game, and the opponent presents his chest and laughs at you. And you're right, they did pull it off with mechanical precision, always rationing it out just perfectly.

That's alright though. Ever notice the computer is very susceptible to characters with regeneration? I could get smacked around using Gogeta, and yet clean house with Piccolo.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Wow, could you imagine Marvel Vs Capcom 2 with today's mentality of "screw unlocking, just sell 'em to them for $3-4 apiece?" Hell, fricken Naruto, they charged me I think 150 points for dual-language, then went and made the update free. I hate DLC. Anyway...
Given that DLC isn't a very viable venture with anything except something like Rock Band, devs don't usually want to do it, plus the publisher and Microsoft/Sony take a chunk of the profit from it as well, not to mention they (the devs) could just save said content for the sequel and make more money off it, and since Dimps will be starting on Burst Limit 2 in like 3 or 4 months they don't have much reason to do DLC now, especially when they've got stuff like Street Fighter IV and Sonic Unleashed in production.

For those who haven't noticed we've already had next gen fighting games released like DOA4 and Virtua Fighter 5, but they don't have DLC as it's hard enough to make enough changes to a fighting game sequel in order to make it seem different then the previous already that if they were to do DLC they'd be limiting content they could add to the sequel.

As for the MvC2 thing, you'll never have to worry about that (aside from the reasons above) as selling characters seperately would make it really hard to set up online matches. It be like trying to play MUGEN online with someone.

Kak

Post by Kak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Saikyo78 wrote:However, can anyone confirm that the in-game music is different from the japanese version? I have had some people tell me that there is no difference at all, and others tell me that the japanese version features music direct from the anime itself.
I watched someone with the Japanese version play through the entire game on YouTube, the music is the same as it is in the US version, neither has music from the anime.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 am

This game to me almost ranks with Dragon Ball Z Saga's. Not that they compare game play or anything, it's just the game was over hyped. I really still can't get over how big of a let down this game really turned out to be. It's like all they did was say

"Alright guys, we're gonna make a DBZ game. We'll do everything we already did, but make it shittier, and not fun at all, and take away everything that made the originals great games, so that means the first thing to go is character customization, fuck, who needs that? The World Martial Arts Tournemant, more like, let's make a challange where the player has to defeat 100 characters, but get this, theres only about 13 characters so after defeating the main characters that are unlocked, players have to fight them all over again about 87 times. Man are we fucking up hard, but atleast we have great online play, all the vocals to the Japanese songs, and Japanese BGM, plus 100% improved graphics that will once again prove that graphics, don't over power a game. Over all, we have a hand made piece of shit, let's ship it and make millions of dollars off of it because, it has "Dragon Ball Z" for a title."

This game is shit, if they want to make a DBZ game that will rock some balls, and tits, they might as well make a really badass RPG game based on the actual series, and by RPG I dont mean something like Legacy of Goku for GBA, I'm talking something bigger and expandable, with a Dragon Quest style.

But atleast there's that Dragon Ball game coming out for DS, hopefully it comes to the states, and not a waste of money like this obimination called Burst Limit. So Atari, Dimps, Ban-dai Namco, I say fuck you for sucking me into your con.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:45 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:
"Alright guys, we're gonna make a DBZ game. We'll do everything we already did, but make it shittier, and not fun at all, and take away everything that made the originals great games, so that means the first thing to go is character customization, fuck, who needs that? The World Martial Arts Tournemant, more like, let's make a challange where the player has to defeat 100 characters, but get this, theres only about 13 characters so after defeating the main characters that are unlocked, players have to fight them all over again about 87 times. Man are we fucking up hard, but atleast we have great online play, all the vocals to the Japanese songs, and Japanese BGM, plus 100% improved graphics that will once again prove that graphics, don't over power a game. Over all, we have a hand made piece of shit, let's ship it and make millions of dollars off of it because, it has "Dragon Ball Z" for a title."

This game is shit, if they want to make a DBZ game that will rock some balls, and tits, they might as well make a really badass RPG game based on the actual series, and by RPG I dont mean something like Legacy of Goku for GBA, I'm talking something bigger and expandable, with a Dragon Quest style.

But atleast there's that Dragon Ball game coming out for DS, hopefully it comes to the states, and not a waste of money like this obimination called Burst Limit. So Atari, Dimps, Ban-dai Namco, I say fuck you for sucking me into your con.
Ouch. I'd actually consider the first Sparking! to be more of an abomination. Sure Burst Limit lacks the content that Meteor had, but really it got to a point where they were overdoing it with the characters (Tambourine? Really?), so it seems logical to essentially do a reboot for the next trilogy of DBZ fighting games..... Or just not do anymore DBZ fighting games at all. Meteor, to me, was the prime for DBZ fighting games.

All that being said, I actually don't think this game is that bad, just a bit underwhelming. The online is pretty fun and an improvement over the Wi-Fi for Meteor on the Wii. The core gameplay remains to be near exact to the the Budokai series with the camera angle often shifting to a Sparking-esque style. Ultimate Moves are more easier to evade and don't shift to an over-dramatic cut scene. The drama pieces are an interesting aspect, but often detract from the fights. Not having to charge your ki was the best move they've done (especially with past installments) with this game.

I think the lack of the Buu saga and content is pretty much what makes this game a slight tad inferior to it's last gen brother (Budokai 3). Everything is pretty well refined for the Budokai style of play, but there's really not much of an enticing single player mode, especially considering we've been playing this story for the past 7 games or so. What I'd like to see in the future is a next gen Sparking! with more emphasis on free roaming and adventure. Or just a Dragon Ball game would do fine as well (not counting the DS one).
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]