Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - General Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 am

I think all the negativity is due to the lack of characters and areas. I think people have been spoiled since Sparking!Neo. The fighting engine in this game is much better than the Sparking! series and is very much improved over the Budokai games. The only game that I think is better than this is Super DBZ.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am

I think people are a little harsh on the "only up to Cell" angle. That is 3/4ths of the series, after all. Didn't the old-school games (Famicom, SFC, etc) tend to do one or two sagas at a time? Not all of them, but in general.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:19 am

Mostly because the series was still running :P
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 am

This game to me almost ranks with Dragon Ball Z Saga's. Not that they compare game play or anything, it's just the game was over hyped.
You mean the way Sagas was over hyped? :roll:
"Alright guys, we're gonna make a DBZ game.
...so that we can produce enough revenue to create our own original titles.
We'll do everything we already did, but make it shittier,
Making each character more unique from one another in terms of moves, animation, etc, is making it shittier?
and not fun at all,
The previous Budokai games that Dimps made must not have been fun because they all basically play exactly the same.
and take away everything that made the originals great games,
Oh that's right I forgot they took away the cel-shading, character specific moves, high speed battles, in game transformations, ultimates, etc, etc, didn't they?
so that means the first thing to go is character customization, fuck, who needs that?
If you're refering to the capsule system in terms of customization, it's a good thing they got rid of that crap. Having items that give someone unfair advantages like higher defense, more damage, less ki cost, cutting your oponents ki in half, etc, is idiotic.

The only level of customization these games need to have is with the move sets. For instance someone like Goku knows lots of techniques however a number of them like the Taiyo-Ken (Solar Flare) are never at his disposal, but should be, ie if the Capsule System consisted of just moves then that would be awesome and would have strategic elements to it.

Oh and btw there was no customization in either of the Shin Budokai games which Dimps made before this game, so don't act like this was the first game without it.
The World Martial Arts Tournemant,
Which also wasn't in the SB games.
This game is shit, if they want to make a DBZ game that will rock some balls, and tits, they might as well make a really badass RPG game based on the actual series, and by RPG I dont mean something like Legacy of Goku for GBA, I'm talking something bigger and expandable, with a Dragon Quest style.
A straight up DQ styled DBZ game would suck.
Over all, we have a hand made piece of shit, let's ship it and make millions of dollars off of it because, it has "Dragon Ball Z" for a title."
But atleast there's that Dragon Ball game coming out for DS, hopefully it comes to the states, and not a waste of money like this obimination called Burst Limit. So Atari, Dimps, Ban-dai Namco, I say fuck you for sucking me into your con.
Bandai and Atari are the ones to blame for the way the game is as they only allow Dimps like 8 months to work on these games, and then have them intentionally limit the amount of content that they (Dimps) put in the game, just so that they milk the whole "we need a DBZ fighter every year" trend that they've been doing the last several years, and Dimps has gone on record saying that they don't like the process (nor does any dev that has to do licensed games this way) however they (like other devs that do these liscensed games) put up with this crap from the publishers so that they can make enough money off the liscense to produce their own original games.

The only way that process would change is if a big developer like Capcom, Konami, Square, etc, had the liscense however they have no interest in doing those type games due to how annoying and frustraiting it is dealing with the liscense holder, and the liscense holder (or publisher) don't like working with major companies (Capcom, etc) because they can't push them around as easily as they can smaller developers like Dimps.

Also Dimps is quite capable of making a good liscensed fighting game as they're currently working on Street Fighter IV, and SFIV is actually a good all around game due to the fact that the production time for it is around 2 years rather then 8 months, along with the fact that it has a decent sized budget compared to these low budget DBZ games, not to mention the fact that Capcom wants to make sure it's a good game that can stand on it's own for a couple years the way most major fighting game franchises do now rather then doing yearly upgrades the way the DBZ games do or even the way SF games used to do.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 pm

GameTrailers has their review up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5932.html

Seems like they enjoyed it for what it was.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 pm

Casual Matt wrote:GameTrailers has their review up.
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5932.html
Seems like they enjoyed it for what it was.
Hehehe.

Even they know how "Saiyan" SHOULD be pronounced.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Hehehe.

Even they know how "Saiyan" SHOULD be pronounced.
Actually I doubt the narrator knows as he often mispronounces names in GT's video reviews.

Example when it comes to Ryu from Street Fighter or Ryu from Ninja Gaiden he always says "Ry-You" instead of the correct way "Ree-You" or "Tide-Us" instead of "Tee-Duss" when it comes to the Final Fantasy charcter Tidus.

With Saiyan I imagine he just seperated it into two parts when pronnouncing it or thinking about it, ie Sai (like the weapon) and Yan.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 pm

The previous Budokai games that Dimps made must not have been fun because they all basically play exactly the same.
I honestly think the only one great DBZ Dimps ever made was the first Budokai. It had the best cut scenes in tact, I used to play it so much just to watch the cut scenes because that was the best part.
Oh that's right I forgot they took away the cel-shading, character specific moves, high speed battles, in game transformations, ultimates, etc, etc, didn't they?
Oh yeah I forgot to add, every DBZ game has cel shading, yes the cel shading is better on HD, on next gen consoles, but guess what? Just becuase graphics have improved, it does not mean a game is better. People think graphics over power a game, they are full of shit. Transformations, ultimates, high speed battles, whatever, they were all in the Tenkaichi series. Nothing new at all, but a different style like slam on all the buttons.
If you're refering to the capsule system in terms of customization, it's a good thing they got rid of that crap. Having items that give someone unfair advantages like higher defense, more damage, less ki cost, cutting your oponents ki in half, etc, is idiotic.
Character customization is always the best, it's like a fighting RPG, where you build up your character. Building up a character would really would be useful for online game play, especially against the people who have no life and just play constantly for days.

What the hell is a SB game? The Budokai series had a World Martial Arts Tournament, and so did the Tenkaichi series.
Bandai and Atari are the ones to blame for the way the game is as they only allow Dimps like 8 months to work on these games, and then have them intentionally limit the amount of content that they (Dimps) put in the game, just so that they milk the whole "we need a DBZ fighter every year" trend that they've been doing the last several years, and Dimps has gone on record saying that they don't like the process (nor does any dev that has to do licensed games this way) however they (like other devs that do these liscensed games) put up with this crap from the publishers so that they can make enough money off the liscense to produce their own original games.
Dimps still worked on this game, they have their name on it, they put 8 months into it, they worked on the game, thus I shall blame them as well. Don't tell me who to blame.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:
What the hell is a SB game? The Budokai series had a World Martial Arts Tournament, and so did the Tenkaichi series.
Shin-Budokai. :roll:
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:11 pm

TAS wrote:"Tide-Us" instead of "Tee-Duss" when it comes to the Final Fantasy charcter Tidus.
I don't care if it's how it should be pronounced, Tee-Duss sounds stupid. Besides, shouldn't it be "Tee-Doose"? (Doose being pronounced like Moose but with a D instead of an M)
­

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm

Freeza93 wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:
Shin-Budokai. :roll:
Oh I'm sorry I didn't know that SB stood for Shin-Budokai, so let's throw in some rolling eyes. A lot of you people are complaining about the Dragon Ball movie being made, when you guys should be complaining that Namco Ban dai just raped us all out of 60 dollars.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:23 pm

TAS wrote:Actually I doubt the narrator knows as he often mispronounces names in GT's video reviews.

Example when it comes to Ryu from Street Fighter or Ryu from Ninja Gaiden he always says "Ry-You" instead of the correct way "Ree-You" or "Tide-Us" instead of "Tee-Duss" when it comes to the Final Fantasy character Tidus.
Actually, it SHOULD be Tide-Us. Tee-duss is the Japanese way to pronounce the name. You're right about Ryu though.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
TAS wrote:Actually I doubt the narrator knows as he often mispronounces names in GT's video reviews.

Example when it comes to Ryu from Street Fighter or Ryu from Ninja Gaiden he always says "Ry-You" instead of the correct way "Ree-You" or "Tide-Us" instead of "Tee-Duss" when it comes to the Final Fantasy character Tidus.
Actually, it SHOULD be Tide-Us. Tee-duss is the Japanese way to pronounce the name. You're right about Ryu though.
The only time I remember hearing his name said outloud is in Kingdom Hearts, where they use Tee-Duss. They never say his name out loud in FFX because of the whole name the main character thing.
­

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:28 pm

I honestly think the only one great DBZ Dimps ever made was the first Budokai. It had the best cut scenes in tact, I used to play it so much just to watch the cut scenes because that was the best part.
Yeah and Dimps stated that the reason that the gameplay in Budokai 1, that would be B1 abbriviated since I guess you don't understand how that works, wasn't up to snuff was because they spent so much time on the cutscenes.

Also was B1 the best because everybody had the same moves, or because you had to combo into special moves/death moves, or because you could barely stay in a transformed state, or what exactly?

If B1 was the best simply because the cutscenes then it really wasn't the best as a CGI DBZ movie could just top it or rather all you liked was basically a CGI DBZ.
Oh yeah I forgot to add, every DBZ game has cel shading,
Obviously...

Final Bout

Budokai 1

Sagas

All the 2D DBZ games were cel-shaded as well right?

Do you know what cel-shading is?
yes the cel shading is better on HD, on next gen consoles, but guess what? Just becuase graphics have improved, it does not mean a game is better. People think graphics over power a game, they are full of shit.
Wasn't the point I was making.
Transformations, ultimates, high speed battles, whatever, they were all in the Tenkaichi series. Nothing new at all, but a different style like slam on all the buttons.
So wait Aura Burst, Drama Pieces, Selectable Ultimates, etc, aren't new?

None of the characters had any new moves either did they?
Character customization is always the best, it's like a fighting RPG,
No, Battle Fantasia is a Fighting RPG, not DBZ.
Building up a character would really would be useful for online game play, especially against the people who have no life and just play constantly for days.
So what let me get this straight, there are people that would spend days leveling up their character(s) to play online, and these people would have lives, compared to those who have no life and play for days?

Does it not occur to you that the people that you say have no life are ALWAYS going to be better at the game then everybody else because they'll know all the in and outs and ways to break the game? Like how exactly would a leveling up system work out for you if they have the same options available to them?
Shin Budokai.

Dimps has made 6 DBZ games. Budokai 1-3, Shin Budokai 1-2, and Burst Limit.

All 6 games run on the same internal engine, but B1 and BL (Burst Limit) both have different graphics engines compared to the other four.
Dimps still worked on this game, they have their name on it, they put 8 months into it, they worked on the game, thus I shall blame them as well. Don't tell me who to blame.
What were you expecting? An all new game done completely from scratch in 8 months?

And btw during that 8 month period Dimps was also working on Street Fighter IV and Sonic Unleashed, before production on BL started and are still working on both right now. SFIV and Sonic Unleashed are much more important, high profile, have bigger budgets, etc, then Burst Limit, so it's not really a shocker that Dimps was much more devoted to them then they were BL, not to mention BL has a number of things completed for it that didn't make it into the final game due to the fact that Bandai had that content removed so it could be saved for the sequel(s) something that Dimps has no control over.

Why should Dimps care how BL turns out when they know they'll just be starting work on Burst Limit 2 in like 3 months, or why try and focus on BL at all when they've got Street Fighter IV and Sonic Unleashed in production as well?

Also there's the possibility that Dimps a really kick ass "complete" DBZ game with Burst Limit, and Bandai is deciding to cut up that one awesome game into 3 parts. For instance when Bandai did the first .Hack series, it was all done as one game then split into four parts, ie it was the same team, same budget, etc, across all four games, but they split them apart because to them it's smarter to sell 4 $50 games then 1 $50 game.

Btw I didn't tell you (yourself) to blame, I just stated who is to blame.

Rather then going off on some ignorant opinion I'm just stating the facts, where as you're too busy think about only yourself.

The first English FFX trailer with narration pronounces his name as Tee-Duss, as does Kingdom Hearts. Another example is the main character in The Bouncer, his name is Sion, but it's not pronounced like Sigh-On it's pronounced See-On, which is how it's said in the English dub of the game.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Actually, isn't the Japanese pronounciation Tee-da (based on the katakana for his name, ティーダ)?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:45 pm

This is gonna get locked.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Herms wrote:
Actually, isn't the Japanese pronounciation Tee-da (based on the katakana for his name, ティーダ)?
Right. Apparently, it comes from the Okinawan pronunciation of "sun" (ていだ). Yuna comes from "moon" (ゆうな).

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:I think all the negativity is due to the lack of characters and areas. I think people have been spoiled since Sparking!Neo. The fighting engine in this game is much better than the Sparking! series and is very much improved over the Budokai games. The only game that I think is better than this is Super DBZ.
I absolutely agree. As far the lack of areas, didn't the stages often shift from one place to another? For example, the Archipelago stage would often shift to the Cell Games stage or the Plains? I remember recalling destroying a stage and all of a sudden it becomes the Chamber of Spirit and Time, which isn't a selectable stage. I thought that was really cool addition to the game. Despite the lack of content, I was pleasantly surprised with the attention to detail from character animations to about everything else.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 pm

All the 2D DBZ games were cel-shaded as well right?

Do you know what cel-shading is?
Yeah I know what cel-shading is. When I say all the games, if you look at it, about 90% of them are cel-shaded.
Wasn't the point I was making.
Sure sounded like it.
So wait Aura Burst, Drama Pieces, Selectable Ultimates, etc, aren't new?

None of the characters had any new moves either did they?
Drama pieces are so fucking stupid. It's like "Yeah, take that giant Spirit Bomb I just shot at you!.....(spirit bomb lands on character, cut too a drama piece) FUCK! THAT CHARACTER DIDN'T EVEN TAKE DAMAGE!" YEah that's what I want to happen when I just spent countless minutes waiting to throw that attack.
No, Battle Fantasia is a Fighting RPG, not DBZ.
I really consider building up characters HP and what not like in Tenkaichi a little bit RPG, say what you want, I don't care. Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest, the original Final Fantasy's not the new ones, those are real RPG games.
So what let me get this straight, there are people that would spend days blah b lha blah blah blah blah work out for you if they have the same options available to them?
You sound like you are one of them!

Shin Budokai.

Dimps has made 6 DBZ games. Budokai 1-3, Shin Budokai 1-2, and Burst Limit.

All 6 games run on the same internal engine, but B1 and BL (Burst Limit) both have different graphics engines compared to the other four.
Yeah I know they had nothing to do with the Tenkaichi series, they made 6 games. The best one was Budokai 1, never played Shin 1 or 2, because PSP isnt worth my time. But your point? Different graphic engines? I'm not arguing about graphics, the graphics are great, but the game itself sucks, how many times must I say that?
What were you expecting? An all new game done completely from scratch in 8 months?

stutter stutter stutter stutter Dimps was much more devoted to Bandai had that content removed so it could be saved for the sequel(s) something that Dimps has no control over.

Why should BL turns out when they know they'll just be starting work on Street Fighter IV and Sonic Unleashed in production as well?

Blah blha blah blah balh blah Dimps blah blah blah blah blah blah blahBandai did the first .Hack series, blah blah blah blah blah blah balh ablah blah think about only yourself.
Right.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Yeah I know what cel-shading is. When I say all the games, if you look at it, about 90% of them are cel-shaded.
Not even close.

Of the 20 or so DBZ games 8 of them are cel-shaded, so explain to me how that's 90% please.

Don't you get tired of being wrong?
Sure sounded like it.
No it didn't as I really didn't say anything about the graphics. All I said was "cel-shaded" amongst many other things and then you for whatever idiotic reason acted like all I was talking about.
Drama pieces are so fucking stupid.
So stupid automatically means not new now does it?

Genius logic.
I really consider building up characters HP and what not like in Tenkaichi a little bit RPG,
You mean what Budokai 3 did first and then BT copied?
Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest, the original Final Fantasy's not the new ones, those are real RPG games.
Just because you say it doesn't make it true. I know that you're so egotistical that you'd like to think that's the way things are, but they're not.
You sound like you are one of them!
Said the guy with ass backwards logic.

I also like the attitude of someone who posts on a DBZ forum saying that someone else has no life.
Yeah I know they had nothing to do with the Tenkaichi series, they made 6 games. The best one was Budokai 1, never played Shin 1 or 2, because PSP isnt worth my time. But your point?
You sound like a BT fanboy and given that and everything else you've been spouting how can anyone take you seriously?
Different graphic engines? I'm not arguing about graphics, the graphics are great, but the game itself sucks, how many times must I say that?
I was just pointing out the fact that the internal engine always stayed the same. You keep wanting to turn this inot a graphics thing.
Right.
Yeah I know that's what I am, and maybe you'll be that way too at some point, but not so far.

I absolutely agree. As far the lack of areas, didn't the stages often shift from one place to another? For example, the Archipelago stage would often shift to the Cell Games stage or the Plains? I remember recalling destroying a stage and all of a sudden it becomes the Chamber of Spirit and Time, which isn't a selectable stage. I thought that was really cool addition to the game. Despite the lack of content, I was pleasantly surprised with the attention to detail from character animations to about everything else.
It definitely seemed like a lot of time was spent making each character more unique from one another, which I'm all for compared to the BT style of doing things where they just seemed to make one set of animations then came up with a 100 different skins for that one set animations, where as BL seemed like a big step in making it more like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, etc, where basically everybody has their own distinct fighting styles, however everybody still plays in the same fashion, but that's something that will probably never change as it's part of the whole pick up and play style of the series, and isn't something I think personally needs to change either.