Which dub had the most limited cast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Which dub had the most limited cast?

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:01 am

I know that the Greek dub of DBZ from ANT1 never surpassed the limit of 4 actors per episode.

But what about other dubs like French, European Portuguese, Thai or the old Serbian one? These dubs seem to have a small cast as well but does anyone know the exact number of voice actors?

And are there any other dubs with few voice actors that I haven't mentioned? I've only mentioned the dubs I've seen enough of but I think there are others.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Which dub had the most limited cast?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:20 am

Big Green dub. We know that David Gasman, Sharon Mann and Paul Bandley were in it. Then there's other actors like Jodi Forrest, Doug Rand and Ed Marcus, who are suspected to have had roles, but I don't think any of them have ever confirmed. Either way a lot of the voices in those movies and specials sound like they could have came from a few actors at best as a lot of the performances sound quite similar. It was an extremely low budget production.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:10 am

Now I kinda wonder how a dub of Dragon Ball by Seth MacFarlane would sound like.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:40 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:01 am But what about other dubs like French, European Portuguese, Thai or the old Serbian one? These dubs seem to have a small cast as well but does anyone know the exact number of voice actors?
Well, I know the MAT Produkcija dub (Serbian dub) had 5 voice actors for the original series (Dragan Vujić, Vladan Savić, Marica Vuletić-Neumović, Valentina Pavlicić and the late Nenad Nenadović) and 6 for Z (the same five from DB plus Nikola Bulatović)

About the Portuguese dub, as of DBS Broly & DB Super Hero dubs, they currently have more than 10 actors (Raposo, Frankel, Castro, De Sá, Quimbé, Cavalinhos, Lobão, Vala, Gonçalo Carvalho, Alves, Peter Michael, Teresa Macedo, Alexandre Carvalho and Luís Barros)

They historically had 5 in the original series (Feist, Spínola, Cavalinhos, Sémedo, Figueiredo), 7 in Z (Feist, Spínola, Loy / Rocha, Monchique, Cavalinhos, Figuereido, Semedo) and 6 in GT (Feist, Spínola, Loy, Paulo Espírito Santo, Dora Cruz and Cristina Cavalinhos)

In the Super series, before the recasts, they were 9 (Feist, Spínola, Loy, De Sá, Castro, Cavalinhos, Quimbé, Vala and that Gabriel Gonçalves guy) and 10 when the recasts happened (Raposo, Frankel, Alves, Vala, Lobão, Castro, Gonçalo Carvalho, Cavalinhos, Quimbé and de Sá)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:20 am Big Green dub. We know that David Gasman, Sharon Mann and Paul Bandley were in it. Then there's other actors like Jodi Forrest, Doug Rand and Ed Marcus, who are suspected to have had roles, but I don't think any of them have ever confirmed. Either way a lot of the voices in those movies and specials sound like they could have came from a few actors at best as a lot of the performances sound quite similar. It was an extremely low budget production.
I know double posting is frowned upon but I just remembered some stuff when reading this topic again...

Both Jodi and Doug have directly confirmed they were involved in the dub.

Jodi in a interview from a Code Lyoko forum where she mentioned voicing Gohan and Doug on his LinkedIn mentioned working on Dragon Ball Z.

On other hand, Ed Marcus was indirectly confirmed thanks to Sharon Mann.

She also said that this was Ed's last acting work before he retired.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:32 am

Honestly, the only real answers are either the Speedy Dub, or the European Portuguese dub.
I believe that the PT-PT dub only has 10 overall actors now due to the new blood that was brought in from the Super Broly movie onwards.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm

The Polish dub prior to making it a proper dub, its just a person reading the entire time.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:56 pm

BlueChi wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:32 am Honestly, the only real answers are either the Speedy Dub, or the European Portuguese dub.
I believe that the PT-PT dub only has 10 overall actors now due to the new blood that was brought in from the Super Broly movie onwards.
The European Portuguese dub is not the one with the most limited cast since I know for sure that the Greek DBZ one from ANT1 had only 4 actors per episode despite the fact that a total of 18 voice actors participated in that dub.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm The Polish dub prior to making it a proper dub, its just a person reading the entire time.
If we also include the voice-overs then yes.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:19 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm The Polish dub prior to making it a proper dub, its just a person reading the entire time.
Yeah, although a voice-over, or how we call it "a lector", isn't considered a dub here. I mean we have three ways of watching stuff:
-Sub
-Dub
-Lector

Most movies get sub version for cinemas and lector for TV broadcasts. VOD and home releases very often offers both subs and lector.
Dub is mostly used for animations, although some movies like Marvel movies are dubbed. In some cases we get all three. Sub/Dub for cinemas, dub/lector for TV and sub/dub/lector for VOD/Home releases.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:43 am

The Portuguese dub.

Only 5 or 6 actors worked on it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.