"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:34 pm

It's true, this writers dad works for Toei, so he got all the scoop about what happens behind the scenes.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:02 pm

• The non-realization of both the releases of the Super anime return in Summer 2019 and the Web Anime
  • The 4 month gap between the end of the Granolla arc and the Super Hero prequel arc
  • The Super Hero movie getting adapted into the manga but not the Broly one
  • The Anime and Manga going through separate and very distinct paths but not "said"
  • The Breakers
  • The "odd nature" sorrounding the Super Hero movie in comparison to the previous movies (CGI, No Main Song, All related material in the games using nothing but the movie's art style, the marketing)
  • The weird connection of the Movies with the anime and manga
Could this explain all of these? I don't know, I saw a lot of people assuming that this could explain the current state of the IP, but it justs sounds too convenient for me, I think there's more going on than what we know or understand so far, I wouldn't get surprised too if it was the case
But I personally think that's just more confusing than how it already was back in 2015
  • Fukkatsu no F is released, alongside it, a short manga telling only a part of the same story
  • Then we have the Super anime, starting by retelling the last 2 movies at the time, and also, changing a lot of details in the story
  • Then we have the Super manga, starting by retelling Battle of Gods but cutting out most of the story, and skipping Fukkatsu no F
I could be wrong tho, idk, I personally just think that the way the situation stands at the moment we are far from reaching a conclusion of what could happen.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 pm

It would be funny (re: dumb) if Iyoku bought into that dumbshit idea that the animated series needs to adapt a comic overseen by Toriyama 1:1 and that's why we aren't getting a new animated series yet.

This whole situation would be hilarious, not going to lie.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:55 am

From what I've heard, it seems like Akio Iyoku has spent the past year fighting to get Dragon Ball some new content but Shueisha is comfortable just drip feeding us every now and then to keep general interest alive. Am I misinformed?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:47 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:55 am From what I've heard, it seems like Akio Iyoku has spent the past year fighting to get Dragon Ball some new content but Shueisha is comfortable just drip feeding us every now and then to keep general interest alive. Am I misinformed?
That's speculation. We don't know but it would sound likely.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:18 pm

It could explain one thing, does anybody here know about the "Special Project" mentioned by Akio that was meant to came out in 2022 after Super Hero? Was there any more info on it?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:45 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:18 pm It could explain one thing, does anybody here know about the "Special Project" mentioned by Akio that was meant to came out in 2022 after Super Hero? Was there any more info on it?
We didn't get more info on that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:06 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:47 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:55 am From what I've heard, it seems like Akio Iyoku has spent the past year fighting to get Dragon Ball some new content but Shueisha is comfortable just drip feeding us every now and then to keep general interest alive. Am I misinformed?
Oh okay. Well, if that does turn out to be the case then I'm totally on his side. This drought we're in sucks. With the anime gone and the manga just recapping Super Hero (been over a year since actual plot progression, btw), the only consistent stream of content we've been getting is through the bi-yearly DLCs via Kakarot and Xenoverse, and the updates on the mobile game. I thought Sparking Zero would alleviate us a bit but it may as well have not been revealed until the end of the year.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:39 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:06 pm
Oh okay. Well, if that does turn out to be the case then I'm totally on his side. This drought we're in sucks. With the anime gone and the manga just recapping Super Hero (been over a year since actual plot progression, btw), the only consistent stream of content we've been getting is through the bi-yearly DLCs via Kakarot and Xenoverse, and the updates on the mobile game. I thought Sparking Zero would alleviate us a bit but it may as well have not been revealed until the end of the year.
On one hand I agree with you, on the other hand he is responsible for recycled shit.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:13 am

Unrelated, but I just watched the most recent One Piece episode. Why couldn't Dragon Ball get this amount of effort? Super Hero didn't even look half as good.
sangofe wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:39 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:06 pm

On one hand I agree with you, on the other hand he is responsible for recycled shit.
Let me start off by saying, I'm biased when it comes to rehashing. I definitely don't want to see Hirdegarn brought back, or Hatchiyack and Baby unless they do something involving Universe 6's Tuffles, but I'm praying we get to see Janemba and Cooler in canon. Same goes for Dragon Fist.

Broly was awesome
Super Hero was....well, I feel like it didn't need a movie and it definitely doesn't need a whole manga arc.
I'm biased with Frieza, I probably would have ended up liking it if they brought Yamcha along.
That whole Future Trunks thing could have been good, and it did have its positives, we got Goku Black, Vegito Blue, I even liked Gowasu. The problem was the execution.

He just needs someone to bounce ideas off of.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:34 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:02 pm Dragon Ball Super isn't listed:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest ... red-titles
Does this include video games too? Will Bandai drop it's video game lineup for Jump Festa soon, or do we have to wait until December?

Regardless, it's been a extremely rough and dry year for Dragon Ball.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:34 pm

Does this include video games too? Will Bandai drop it's video game lineup for Jump Festa soon, or do we have to wait until December?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:40 pm

Speaking of One Piece, the things I would do to have Megumi Ishitani work on Dragon Ball again. My God, her direction and storyboard work these past couple of years for One Piece has been, no exaggeration, some of the best animation I have ever seen. Her episodes literally look better than all of the One Piece movies.

I hope for the next Dragon Ball production, whether it be a movie, web series or TV anime, she comes back to direct something, or at least provide storyboards. I still go back and rewatch episode 131 of DBS.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:04 pm

The complaints about recycled shit is rich coming from a fan base that constantly complained about the plot of the last movie not being the Goku and Vegeta show part #2477317.

These so called Dragon Ball fans that self-appoint themselves as the “ultimate arbiters of writing quality” that care about looking like Disciplined Storymen has become the most creatively bankrupt element of online fandom by far. Which is funny since the series already had jumped the shark story-wise immediately after Namek.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:27 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:34 pm

I was a newborn at the start of this era, but the state that the franchise is in now is still better than the late 2000s to early 2010s, when Dragon Ball games, what the franchise was surviving on, were getting stale and Kai just ended.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:48 am

Way back in January I was very skeptical about the web anime, today I still am, but not referring to its existence but to its state of production
Way back in February we had that Kubota interview where he said that there was no new new DB animated project in the works
The new project aside from Super Hero mentioned by Akio in early 2022 never came to a reality and we are in september 2023
Now this shueisha scandal is happening
Then we had the rumour about Akio's attempt in making Super 2 and the Web Anime but Shueisha blocking it
Then we have no Dragon Ball announced for Jump Festa in this December
And we keep getting more rumours about the web anime and its "new details" about it over and over

All of these sound very connected for me,
It may be too soon, but for me it seems that the web anime and maybe even Super 2, are nothing but a idea, and supposedly gave by Akio and the Dragon Room, repeatedly recused by Shueisha
there are no established plans, pre-production, chosen production team, story written, nothing, only ideas.
I hope I'm wrong tho.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:40 am

There's more drama in the industry than in any of the Netflix's reality shows.
Star Wars also went through some development hell starting with Rise Of Skywalker and stream of poorly produced and made shows.

Getting even a glimpse of something like this hapenning with Dragon Ball as well is surprising on the side that we are rarely getting any info on this IP that isn't for marketing purposes. And not surprising with the recent state of the things if true.
I wonder how will this turn out in this particular case, but revolution has to happen.

In marketing, arts and general, artists are underpreciated more and more with so much push on delivery and performance, that the creative side suffers. And even if the stories are better than average, it leaks through hasty CGI, design department etc.
And it always goes back to the artists – they did a bad design, they did a bad CGI – nobobody, mainly the customer, doesn't care about (and why should they spending the money?) behind the scenes as they believe that for they money, they are getting desired quality. But nobody blaims the guys who really call the shots, either literally or through the limited budgets or undesirable working conditions, that make the creation of great products borderline impossible.
All of these issues go back to the business owners and executives, who are pushing for more and more while giving back less and it leads to unimaginative and unpolished works, that most people loses interest in over time... Marvel, Star Wars, DC. We had lot of nitpicks with Super and how things were handled – hasty and crappy production, which we can safely bet came from the top of the studio and producers involved.
Power, or rather, Respect to the people.
Rafa Fast wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:48 am Way back in January I was very skeptical about the web anime, today I still am, but not referring to its existence but to its state of production
Way back in February we had that Kubota interview where he said that there was no new new DB animated project in the works
The new project aside from Super Hero mentioned by Akio in early 2022 never came to a reality and we are in september 2023
Now this shueisha scandal is happening
Then we had the rumour about Akio's attempt in making Super 2 and the Web Anime but Shueisha blocking it
Then we have no Dragon Ball announced for Jump Festa in this December
And we keep getting more rumours about the web anime and its "new details" about it over and over

All of these sound very connected for me,
It may be too soon, but for me it seems that the web anime and maybe even Super 2, are nothing but a idea, and supposedly gave by Akio and the Dragon Room, repeatedly recused by Shueisha
there are no established plans, pre-production, chosen production team, story written, nothing, only ideas.
I hope I'm wrong tho.
Maybe you nailed it on the head. Because this wouldn't be far from Lucasfilm announcing and reportedly developing countless projects, that got shelved, countless creative differences and struggle of creators versus studio – I've stopped to trust chief executives coming in and saying: "We had to save the movie/project by hiring someone else." and then watching the subpar alternative thinking, jesus, we have really dodged the bullet and maybe they should have canceled it altogether if what am I watching now is better than what I've almost got :lol:
And years later, creators speak up, uncovering info on original story scripts, decisions and clashes with studio that ultimately resulted in heavy changes and alterations at any point of production.
But back on topic. Yeah, maybe those people sharing rumors were right and I didn't trust them, but coming by Lucasfilm, when they showed all the logos and made press releases, the projects WERE actually just a pitch idea and logo (I can imagine those poor designer souls were forced to produce logos for projects in really tight deadlines so white collars can hype up the audience and enjoy the fame from labor of their underlings).
We'll probably never know.

Also, all this formulaic stuff and "unfinished stuff" we are getting for bleeding money on countless different streaming services plus cinema.

To quote Bob Iger, when Abrams asked for pushing the deadline on Episode 9 after Carrie Fisher unexpectedly passed away and he had to rework the whole project already in preproduction: "No."
People like Iger are all that makes the business bad and toxic nowadays, for people working in it up to us getting content that is being subpar, formulaic (because it sells and to do it super simply to earn the most money... if people love the Marvel cinematic universe, than all they want are other universes etc.). It's insulting both to the creators and customers/fans. Hence revolution has to happen!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:36 pm

The problem is Dragon Ball is finished, Toriyama finished it decades ago. The time placement makes all of modern DB essentiallly just filler. DBS manga is also in a monthly video game magazine, so it's understandable why they aren't taking it seriously. And why OP is getting all the love and attention.

The other problems is the fandom beliving every word from all these "ITK" accounts. We went from "DBS S2" gonna be announced at JF 2019 to now a "Web anime" in 2023. We're almost in 2024. It's been over half a decade, people need to stop living in a fantasy world and get real DBS isn't coming back. On top of that Bandai and Toei this year basically trying to act like DBS didn't exist, with DBZ in the forefront of marketing (that wouldn't make sense if DBS S2 was around the corner)

Also for 2024 there is no DB Japanese calendar scheduled, the last time that happened I think it was all the way back in 2003, meanwhile One Piece had 2 calendars announced...

I feel like people just need to move on, if something in the future gets announced then great it'll be pleasant surprise but hanging around clinging to every little event hoping for something you guys are just waiting your time and energy. Hell I don't even consider myself a DB fan anymore (or well at least just a casual one) hence why I only pop in here now and then. (I feel like once people move on from the DB franchise you'll realize what a shitshow it is (still no proper HD remasters and all that jazz too) and you'll likely lose interest in it like I did)

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:23 pm

Eeh I wouldn't say "DBS isn't coming back" but rather "DBS will come back some day, but while there's no official announcement, it won't happen"
The fans are fans, they want to believe, the rumours are there, they don't have any fault if they want to believe that they can be true, it's up to you if you believe it or not, I personally didn't believe in any of them anymore after that one from July 2019, the web anime one for me wasn't real from the start, I think the "correct" would be to believe in official statements only, after all, Akio didn't said anything anime related in that February 2022 interview, so I think that can work.
For me Super 2 or the web anime or both won't happen before 2025, after 2008 the franchise truly became a worldwide corporate super mainstream IP because of Shueisha, Toei and Akira noticing how well the anime, manga and games performed outside of Japan in the early 2000's, it's due to that that we got Kai and the Hollywood film in 2009, Battle of Gods in 2013, then Fukkatsu no F in 2015, then Super.
1998-2008 was purely a test to see if the franchise still had potential, and what we've been getting since 2009 are the results of that test, and I think that those behind a franchise as big as this one can't stand to go more than 2 years without producing something new of its major content
The Heroes Promo Anime, Super Hero and Breakers, I even think in the possibility that they may have all been ideas that Shuiesha had to see if the franchise would still have the same hype even without an anime for 5 years, but again, that's just me.