"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:14 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:28 am We know for a fact that they've been making some kind of anime judging by Iyoku's comments last year.
He said almost the same thing in that New Year 2022 official video, if we consider that he referred to the same thing, then it was a whole year prior to Kubota's statement about there being no new animated production of the franchise in development.
So, or Kubota was wrong, or the project that Inyoku referred to has been shelved.
-
Agreed with IntangibleFancy, for me it seems way more likely that it's something Sandland related, maybe it's a new release date for the moive outside of japan, or something new.
-
Now, let's pretend that it's indeed Super 2 or the web anime, I personally think that the only things we will see at the comic con panel will be:
1-A working title
2-A concept art of a random character (probably Goku)
Based on these latest news we've been having, for me it's very unlikely that they have something else in a advanced development state
I think I'm on the side that it's going to be a new movie, simply because it seems that the only thing Shueisha has been letting Akio and his team to make are films and nothing more
-
Now I got curious about other thing, coincidentally a few months after the end of the super anime, we had the promo anime of Heroes, when super 2 or the web anime come out, does that mean the SDBH promo anime will end?
I mean, part of me is hoping that I'm just being pessimistic on account of all the false alarms we've been through since 2018. But this is like the first time all of the official DB twitter pages have been involved, right? And we're getting a panel and not a booth. That's good.

If it really is for Sandland, or something insignificant like the merchandise then I'll be thoroughly convinced that, instead of just being very out of touch, Toei and Shueisha actively resent their Dragon Ball fans
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sonrazor

Post by sonrazor » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 pm

There is no way it’s for Sandland. Y’all are crazy.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:07 am

sonrazor wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 pm There is no way it’s for Sandland. Y’all are crazy.
Yes, since Toei has nothing to do with Sandland and it's a Dragon Ball panel.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:26 am

Yeah I didn't notice Neo Makaioshin's latest post early, for so many official accounts talking about it it really can't be Sandland
But let's keep our expectations low, I still think it's gonna be a new Sparking Zero trailer or the reveal for a new game
Or as I said before, the reveal of the working title for a new animated project, in case it's Super 2 or the web anime, I really just can't believe that they have something in pre-production
a new movie at most.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am

Why would Toei retweet and also tweet to check out the panel if its a gaming announcement??

It doesnt make sense, I get being pessimistic but lets not be unreasonable here, it is definitely something anime related now lets just hope that whatever it is, its GOOD
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:33 am

Zekken wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am Why would Toei retweet and also tweet to check out the panel if its a gaming announcement??

It doesnt make sense, I get being pessimistic but lets not be unreasonable here, it is definitely something anime related now lets just hope that whatever it is, its GOOD
BT4 with animated cutscenes by Toei like Ultimate Tenkaichi

But I really hope we get a Moro adaptation

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:04 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:33 am
Zekken wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am Why would Toei retweet and also tweet to check out the panel if its a gaming announcement??

BT4 with animated cutscenes by Toei like Ultimate Tenkaichi

But I really hope we get a Moro adaptation
This is some serious amount of pessimism dude

It`s said to be a mysterious Dragon Ball teaser how in the world do you extrapolate a game intro from that? We already know about BT4 how is that mysterious?

Also i dont think its Moro, they're not using the DBS brand sadly:(
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:25 am

Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem like it’s necessarily Super related, but it seems to be a Dragon Ball animated project. It could be a new movie, Super manga adaptation, a totally different anime story, the web anime that was talked before, a reboot. It’s unlikely that this has anything to do with games.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:01 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:26 am Yeah I didn't notice Neo Makaioshin's latest post early, for so many official accounts talking about it it really can't be Sandland
But let's keep our expectations low, I still think it's gonna be a new Sparking Zero trailer or the reveal for a new game
Or as I said before, the reveal of the working title for a new animated project, in case it's Super 2 or the web anime, I really just can't believe that they have something in pre-production
a new movie at most.
The web anime is supposed to have been in the works since September 2022, so they're bound to have something to show. Many dragon ball related people have been mia since 09/22.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:28 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about the teaser, but at the same time I wonder:

Will there be any announcements before October 12th in Japan?
Will Akio Iyoku appear in the panel?

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 pm

They are putting up the Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Z logo all the time (it's the same except for the Z and the Super) but only "Dragon Ball". This has made many people start to think that it could be a remake of the original series. The rest of the people think that it will be Super 2 adapting the Moro and Granola sagas. You'll see how surprised everyone will be when they see that the new anime is a reimagining of Dragon Ball GT canonized and scripted entirely by Akira Toriyama :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:16 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 pm They are putting up the Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Z logo all the time (it's the same except for the Z and the Super) but only "Dragon Ball". This has made many people start to think that it could be a remake of the original series. The rest of the people think that it will be Super 2 adapting the Moro and Granola sagas. You'll see how surprised everyone will be when they see that the new anime is a reimagining of Dragon Ball GT canonized and scripted entirely by Akira Toriyama :lol:
It's either the web anime or a new movie.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:39 am

If it's some kind of GT reimagining and it's somehow STILL before EoZ then hold us, since we're never getting off this hole :shock:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:15 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:01 pm The web anime is supposed to have been in the works since September 2022, so they're bound to have something to show. Many dragon ball related people have been mia since 09/22.
Akio announced a new secret project twice before the first web anime rumour in September 2022, not only that but also that it was supposed to be released that year after Super Hero, not saying it necessarily had to be the web anime or Super 2, but later, Kubota in February (2023) said that there was no new DB animated project in the works, so as I said before, or Kubota was wrong or the project Akio was referring to has been shelved.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:28 pm Will there be any announcements before October 12th in Japan?
Will Akio Iyoku appear in the panel?
1-Idk, if not something anime or film related then probably game related.
2-He was in the Super Hero 2022 panel, so very likely.
-
Nanatsu88 that makes a lot of sense to me and now I'm scared lol, I really don't want them to waste 2 years or more remaking DB, just let that beautiful old animation alone, I want new stuff, if a GT written by Toriyama means a GT featuring different and new stuff, then I'm totally in favor of it, I'm just sick of the remake trend :'v
Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:39 am If it's some kind of GT reimagining and it's somehow STILL before EoZ then hold us, since we're never getting off this hole :shock:
Hmmm idk, that sounds unlikely for me, I believe that what made Super Hero work is that it takes place before EoZ and managed to be fully understandable even though you didn't read the Moro and Granolah arcs in the manga, there are no references to these two arcs, with their only impacts being Vegeta now meditating and wearing his Boo Saga suit, no doubt why that "sequel to Super Broly" statement confused so many people, because you definitely doesn't need to know what happened in Moro and Granolah to understand what is happening in Super Hero, only Super Broly and all of the other stuff that came out before that movie.
A new animated series taking place after EoZ and releasing before the Moro and Granolah adaptations would rise questions

1-Why are Goku and Vegeta on Earth again?
2-Why are they wearing different clothes?
3-What happened to Beerus and Whis?
4-What happened to Black Freeza?

And there would be the obvious retconned material for them to explain, as Bulma's aged appearance, she not seeing Goku for 5 years, Gohan and Piccolo supposedly not being any stringer than their base and ultimate forms...the manga would need to catch up to it first, making a true last pre-EoZ arc before indeed reaching up to it.
So I think it's safe to believe that they wouldn't touch EoZ yet before animating Moro, Granolah and the post-Super Hero pre-EoZ arc, I could be wrong tho.
-
Now, here's the last one I thought about
We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, so, what if a deal between Akio and Shueisha has already been made? What if Shueisha accepted his plans and now Capsule Corp Tokyo will be a thing?
What does this have to do with the announcement in the comic con panel?
Well, what if this "new teaser" is going to be a promotional short animation introducing us to Capsule Corp Tokyo?

1-It would work as a teaser
2-It would be the teaser for indeed something "new"
3-A New company made solely for dragon ball seems something important enough for all of those official twitter accounts to be announcing it

All of these make sense to me, but I might be alone in this.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:02 pm

I don't think the situation with Iyoku has been resolved. I really hope someone else who has brand new ideas who are fresh will come into the franchise but it's unlikely since that person would need to know and have great trust with Toriyama.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:44 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:15 am
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:01 pm The web anime is supposed to have been in the works since September 2022, so they're bound to have something to show. Many dragon ball related people have been mia since 09/22.
Akio announced a new secret project twice before the first web anime rumour in September 2022, not only that but also that it was supposed to be released that year after Super Hero, not saying it necessarily had to be the web anime or Super 2, but later, Kubota in February (2023) said that there was no new DB animated project in the works, so as I said before, or Kubota was wrong or the project Akio was referring to has been shelved.
First of all, why would Kubota tell anyone that an anime is in the works? TOEI doesn't like leaks, and as we can see with the web series, leaks are very light.

Next Akiyo iyoku is no longer working with shueisha, so why would he be at New York Comic Con ?

Finally, I don't know why you think that web anime can't be the project teased by Akiyo iyoku. He may have initiated the project, but he could well have been ejected during production without any consequences.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 pm They are putting up the Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Z logo all the time (it's the same except for the Z and the Super) but only "Dragon Ball". This has made many people start to think that it could be a remake of the original series. The rest of the people think that it will be Super 2 adapting the Moro and Granola sagas. You'll see how surprised everyone will be when they see that the new anime is a reimagining of Dragon Ball GT canonized and scripted entirely by Akira Toriyama :lol:
I'd be down for that, I love GT.

I'd hope Goten actually tags along this time. Maybe Vegeta could get turned into a kid too? Goku, Vegeta, Goten, Trunks and Pan exploring space.

Baby Gohan could happen because I feel like he'd be the strongest person for Baby to take over. Goku and Vegeta would be nerfed, I doubt Goku could go Ultra Instinct because he's not used to his Kid body. Also since it'd ignore the manga exclusive stuff, Vegeta would not have Ultra Ego. Baby Gohan would potentially have Beast...and if he manages to infect Piccolo too, that's gonna be a hard battle.

Super 18 instead of Super 17 would be dramatic, poor Krillin. If the hell stuff happens, I wonder how Vegeta would react to Nappa now...

Shadow Dragons could be more comedic with the wishes all stemming from Bulma's wishes like the ones from Super Hero and who knows what else. Maybe Bulma could be the Shadow Dragon's target as most of them were born from Bulma's wishes?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:14 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:44 pm First of all, why would Kubota tell anyone that an anime is in the works? TOEI doesn't like leaks, and as we can see with the web series, leaks are very light.

Next Akiyo iyoku is no longer working with shueisha, so why would he be at New York Comic Con ?

Finally, I don't know why you think that web anime can't be the project teased by Akiyo iyoku. He may have initiated the project, but he could well have been ejected during production without any consequences.
1: And why would Kubota lie? I don't deny that he may have actually lied, I'm just saying that both sides can't be proven yet, that's why I said "either Kubota lied, or when he said that, the project was shelved", plus, Toei don't have anything to do with it but Shueisha.

2: It's a thought because he was the one behind the Super Hero 2022 comic con panel,

3: I didn't rule out the web anime as being what Akio referred to, I just said that it didn't necessarily need to be the web anime, because after all, Akio was vague in his statement, he didn't say "we will have a new anime production", no, he just said "we will have something besides the film", so he could be talking about Super 2 or anything else, and Hmm...what? Sorry, but you just repeated what I said in the post you literally replied to, I said "or the project Akio has talking about has been shelved"
-
Just saw some sites and several people talking about the possibility that the new project could be a Dragon Ball 86 remake
This made me look back into a few things...

Last year we got a re-release of the show in hd quality
In August we got a DLC about the 23th Tenkaichi Budokai for Kakarot
And now they're making a DB campaign for Legends...

All of these + that logo without a Z or Super...I'm starting to get worried :|

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:28 pm

I'd love to see a remake of original Dragon Ball, just because I enjoy seeing that series get so much love, but I dont think its likely. Z has also had so much special treatment between most of the video games focusing on it, Kai, numerous Blu-Ray releases since 2011 (granted they weren't Japanese releases), even the TOEI remasters gave the Z movies priority.

It would also be neat to just have one show called "Dragon Ball" that begins with Goku meeting Bulma and ends with Goku flying off with Oob to dispell any perceptions that what happens after Raditz arrives is a completely different story.

Also, looking at Hunter X Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fruits Basket anime remakes also have a great track record. Why not give one of the most beloved and influential series that treatment?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:15 pm

Here is another unsourced rumor that I found:
- The new Dragon Ball anime will have a name like Magical World or Magical Adventure.
- It's an anime celebrating the 40 years of Dragon Ball.
- There are approximately 10-12 episodes which will be shown on Crunchyroll.
- Character design by Mr. Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi.
- Anime script by Toriyama Akira.
- The story will focus on Goku's adventures. Exploring the world/universe of Dragon Ball.
- Shin will play a main role in this sector.
- The story of one of the "tribes" introduced in the main story will be revealed.
- The story hasn't gone past the original ending.
- All the main characters appear.
- The story continues similar to the first part of GT (Goku returns to being a child).
- There is no berserk fighting feel.
- Canon 100%.