What would you prefer if one day the voice actors can no longer perform well enough their roles?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

What would you prefer if one day the voice actors can no longer perform well enough their roles?

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:48 pm

If one day the voice actors can no longer perform well enough their roles would you prefer them:

- to still keep all their roles?
- to keep some of their roles?
- to make occasionally some guest appearances in new but less demanding roles?
- to leave the Dragon Ball franchise completely?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: What would you prefer if one day the voice actors can no longer perform well enough their roles?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:15 pm

Since this line of discussion has come up numerous times in a rather short time span, I would advise you to look into cases of either retired or deceased voice actors/actresses that not only this franchise but any other IP over there has had to deal with.
It will more than likely play out in a similar way if not the same.

That said, options 2-4 are going to be the most likely ones to choose from.

Bloodthroe

Re: What would you prefer if one day the voice actors can no longer perform well enough their roles?

Post by Bloodthroe » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:36 pm

I would probably just prefer they keep the old cast, unless they plan to remake all of DB/DBZ. In which case do a full recast.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:49 am

I think back to the start of DBS and how obviously not well Yanami was. It was outright uncomfortable to listen to what really kind of felt like the man was literally dying in the recording booth. I would really rather not have that happen again. Hearing the voice we all know and love isn't really worth it when the person behind it is just so obviously not able to do it anymore. And clearly Toei themselves realized this too, considering how it literally only took them three months to give his roles over to Tatsuta who, honestly, I feel like should have played Kaio and the narrator from the beginning.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 am

If we had the power to decide I'd probably want someone else to replace the current voice actor and give other talented voice actors a chance to shine. Sometimes, changes can be good. Sometimes, they can be bad. But, if they could find a voice actor who can replace the current one, then why not? for example, I'm not a big fan of Broly's new voice actor because I feel like he can't represent Broly well which is my personal opinion but that does not make him a bad voice actor. Another example is Bulma, her new Japanese voice actor sounds like the old Bulma so I'm cool with it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:30 am

If a full on reboot ever happened a complete recast probably should happen anyways.

I really don't want the current series to keep going in perpetuity that we need to ask "What happens when Masako Nozawa, Mayumi Tanaka, Ryo Horikawa etc get too old and frail to play their roles because the series refuses to die?"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:16 am

I wouldn't have minded if back during Kai, even when everyone was a fair bit younger, if a lot of the cast dropped their roles, even iconic ones like Horikawa or Tanaka. I know Hoirkawa, Tanaka, and a lot of the Z original cast aren't really at a super old age even now (it surprises me that Tanaka especially isn't even 70), but at a certain point, it become clear DB will stick around as a franchise with new content, it's probably good to avoid the uncomfortable conversations that have been happening among the fandom and behind closed doors.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:12 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:16 am I wouldn't have minded if back during Kai, even when everyone was a fair bit younger, if a lot of the cast dropped their roles, even iconic ones like Horikawa or Tanaka. I know Hoirkawa, Tanaka, and a lot of the Z original cast aren't really at a super old age even now (it surprises me that Tanaka especially isn't even 70), but at a certain point, it become clear DB will stick around as a franchise with new content, it's probably good to avoid the uncomfortable conversations that have been happening among the fandom and behind closed doors.
Meh it made sense for Kai to keep as many of the voices as possible since it was basically advertised as Dragon Ball Z: The Director's errr Author's Cut. (Albeit a poorly handled one)

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:35 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:16 am I wouldn't have minded if back during Kai, even when everyone was a fair bit younger, if a lot of the cast dropped their roles, even iconic ones like Horikawa or Tanaka. I know Hoirkawa, Tanaka, and a lot of the Z original cast aren't really at a super old age even now (it surprises me that Tanaka especially isn't even 70), but at a certain point, it become clear DB will stick around as a franchise with new content, it's probably good to avoid the uncomfortable conversations that have been happening among the fandom and behind closed doors.
Yeah, Ryo Horikawa is a baby compared to a lot of the cast at 65. To know he very well could have another 20-ish years in him as Vegeta is lovely to know. Too bad about the smoking, though.

I think it should be on a case-by-case basis. A lot of the older cast still turns in great performances. My man Toshio Furukawa is still going hard in the paint as Piccolo at 77, screams and all. My controversial opinion is they should find young sound-alikes and use AI of the original casts a la Darth Vader to maintain a consistent voice indefinitely when the original is unable, but that probably wouldn't happen.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:13 pm

There should be a full recast for the next anniversary. I don’t want to hear another actor suffering, and it already sounds like Nozawa records Super Dragon Ball Heroes over Zoom or something going by the awful sound quality on some of her lines.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf