Japanese Kai question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Japanese Kai question

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pm

I know Japan had their own version of Kai that was cut down even more than the version the rest of the world got. Has anyone here watched it? Did the Japan version have the scenes of Frieza and the other villains in hell? Is there any place on the internet to find this version with English subtitles?

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: Japanese Kai question

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:40 pm

I do remember seeing a video About the final chapters and skipping some great Sayainman saga episodes. Also for some reason all the countries besides japan got a fight it out and never give up
Is that what you're talking about?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:38 pm

dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pm Is there any place on the internet to find this version with English subtitles?
Legally? No.

But the Japanese broadcast version of Kai with English subs was everywhere on third-party sites. We can't provide piracy links but you should be able to use Google and find it pretty easily

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:40 pm I do remember seeing a video About the final chapters and skipping some great Sayainman saga episodes. Also for some reason all the countries besides japan got a fight it out and never give up
Is that what you're talking about?
Japan got a completely different cut of Kai for the Buu saga that was like 10-20 episodes shorter. I was wondering which parts they cut out.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:38 pm
dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pm Is there any place on the internet to find this version with English subtitles?
Legally? No.

But the Japanese broadcast version of Kai with English subs was everywhere on third-party sites. We can't provide piracy links but you should be able to use Google and find it pretty easily
I know I can find Kai, I’m wondering if I can find the Japanese cut of the Buu saga that was only released to Japan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:53 pm

dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 pm
Legally? No.

I know I can find Kai, I’m wondering if I can find the Japanese cut of the Buu saga that was only released to Japan.
That is what I said. . Look for Japanese Kai online and you should find the broadcast version. You'll know when you see that it has 61 episodes and not 69

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:53 pm
dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 pm

Legally? No.

That is what I said. . Look for Japanese Kai online and you should find the broadcast version. You'll know when you see that it has 61 episodes and not 69
Yeah I tried. Every website I have ever visited only has the 69 ep version.
If it was everywhere before, it must have been replaced when the official version came out.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:31 pm

It isn't 10-20 episodes shorter but 8 episodes shorter. After a few episodes (I believe roughly around when they get to Babidi's ship; forgive me for not being 100% on the exact episode since it's been a while), the cuts are identical aside from the recap theme, OP, EDs (the Japanese Cut has five instead of just one like the International Cut), and Next Episode Preview theme, up until the dance party/dino egg filler, which they cut, placing the exposition about wishing everyone forgot about Boo either at the end of the previous episode or the beginning of the next episode (again, don't remember which).

The other major difference is that the insert songs in some versions of the International Cut (Let It Burn and Cha-La) are replaced with regular tracks from the OST. I say some versions because versions that aired as simuldubs with the Japanese Cut (the French and Korean International Cuts from what I know) have the replacement tracks matching the Japanese Cut in those episodes instead of the insert songs (though they still have the International OP, ED, recap, and NEP theme).

Hope this helps!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:31 pm It isn't 10-20 episodes shorter but 8 episodes shorter. After a few episodes (I believe roughly around when they get to Babidi's ship; forgive me for not being 100% on the exact episode since it's been a while), the cuts are identical aside from the recap theme, OP, EDs (the Japanese Cut has five instead of just one like the International Cut), and Next Episode Preview theme, up until the dance party/dino egg filler, which they cut, placing the exposition about wishing everyone forgot about Boo either at the end of the previous episode or the beginning of the next episode (again, don't remember which).

The other major difference is that the insert songs in some versions of the International Cut (Let It Burn and Cha-La) are replaced with regular tracks from the OST. I say some versions because versions that aired as simuldubs with the Japanese Cut (the French and Korean International Cuts from what I know) have the replacement tracks matching the Japanese Cut in those episodes instead of the insert songs (though they still have the International OP, ED, recap, and NEP theme).

Hope this helps!
interesting, so the hell scenes are still in?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:38 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:31 pmThe other major difference is that the insert songs in some versions of the International Cut (Let It Burn and Cha-La) are replaced with regular tracks from the OST. I say some versions because versions that aired as simuldubs with the Japanese Cut (the French and Korean International Cuts from what I know) have the replacement tracks matching the Japanese Cut in those episodes instead of the insert songs (though they still have the International OP, ED, recap, and NEP theme).
That's not true. The Hindi dub which was made in 2023 never used Let It Burn. This is happening only with dubs that were based in the Funimation one such as the Latin American and the Brazilian Portuguese dub.

dragon boss z wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 amso the hell scenes are still in?
Yes.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:44 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:38 pm
OmegaRockman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:31 pmThe other major difference is that the insert songs in some versions of the International Cut (Let It Burn and Cha-La) are replaced with regular tracks from the OST. I say some versions because versions that aired as simuldubs with the Japanese Cut (the French and Korean International Cuts from what I know) have the replacement tracks matching the Japanese Cut in those episodes instead of the insert songs (though they still have the International OP, ED, recap, and NEP theme).
That's not true. The Hindi dub which was made in 2023 never used Let It Burn. This is happening only with dubs that were based in the Funimation one such as the Latin American and the Brazilian Portuguese dub.
Thank you for the correction. This is the first time I've heard about the Hindi dub not having the insert songs either. The International Cut is definitely a confusing mess of a thing, haha. I wonder what the reasons are for the discrepancies. I mean, it halfway made sense (but still pretty nonsensical) when I thought it was just the simuldubs, but now it makes no sense at all. Toei commissioned the insert songs, so why not use them in every international version? Did they come with an extra licensing fee, so they cut them out to save on costs? Weird.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:56 pm

dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pmHas anyone here watched it?
Oh boy this makes me feel old.

That version you're considering so obscure you're wondering if a single person on the forum ever watched any of has its own dedicated subforum here with individual threads for each episode :D
viewforum.php?f=26
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:18 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:56 pm
dragon boss z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pmHas anyone here watched it?
Oh boy this makes me feel old.

That version you're considering so obscure you're wondering if a single person on the forum ever watched any of has its own dedicated subforum here with individual threads for each episode :D
viewforum.php?f=26
Interesting. I'm sure all of the online sites got rid of it in favor of the official release when it came out.