Norihito Sumitomo is coming to Mexico for a unique concert

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Norihito Sumitomo is coming to Mexico for a unique concert

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:51 am

Everything in the Spoilers has been translated with Google Translate.

https://www.facebook.com/ColegioJapones ... 0036253528

https://www.facebook.com/ColegioJapones ... 4107780927

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvE3yJF0vZo

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Norihito Sumitomo is coming to Mexico for a unique concert

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:42 pm

Hmmmm interesting, I mean, confusing too, isn't his music already present in '"Dragon Ball in Concert" along with Kikuchi's from DB & DBZ?
Well maybe, that concert features only his tracks from Super TV Series (there is a single track from Battle of Gods too actually)

I noticed that the Facebook announcement post just says "Dragon Ball Z", so maybe this is going to be a concert featuring only the music he composed for Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu no F and Kai 2014?
Also, I think this implies he's going to be involved, unlike Dragon Ball in Concert, let's see.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:05 pm

That's not from the concert yet but here is Norihito Sumitomo in Mexico playing a track from Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (17:00) and
Cha-La Head-Cha-La (23:10). Sumitomo's wife is also there and you can see her playing the violin during the Cha-La Head-Cha-La section.
https://www.facebook.com/ColegioJapones ... 9045100762

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:04 am

Norihito Sumitomo | Conversation "The Composition of Music for Films" and Jam Session | UNICACH Music Faculty
https://www.facebook.com/FaMUNICACH/vid ... 5229588592 (in Latin American Spanish language)

Dragon Ball UNICACH Concert | Norihito Sumitomo | Symphony Orchestra, Choir and Ensembles Faculty of Music UNICACH
https://www.facebook.com/FaMUNICACH/vid ... 9997759541 (concert starts at 13:15 and Sumitomo appears at 26:20)

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:09 pm

Thanks for sharing this! Loved the concert, just a bit disappointed it was much shorter than I expected lol, but we should be glad with what we got, not sure if I should be surprised that tracks from Kai 2014 weren't included (the series was mentioned), but definitely glad they decided to include tracks from the other two movies Sumitomo composed for, I think I liked this more than the Super section from Dragon Ball in Concert (likely more because almost all the tracks included in this one are some of my favorites from Sumitomo)
Also talking about Dragon Ball in Concert, I found it funny that they decided to repeat CHA-LA-HEAD CHA-LA in the end just as Hiroki Takahashi did in the former concert lol.

Here are the tracks I recognized
13:18 Our Hero, Son Goku (Resurrection 'F')
14:05 CHA-LA-HEAD CHA-LA
26:42 Break in The Battle (Super)
29:46 Eternal Universe, Brand New Friendship (Battle of Gods)
42:09 Like That Cloud (Super)
52:31 Full Force Kamehameha (Super Broly)
1:27:49 Golden Freeza Takes The Stage (Resurrection 'F')
1:31:38 The Birth of a God (Super)
1:35:07 Kakarot vs Broly (Super Broly)
1:39:11 CHA-LA-HEAD CHA-LA

Do you know what are the tracks at 36:54 and 44:48? They don't sound familiar to me.

Also I watched that first video and there are a few interesting things said there, first, he said that the franchise had 5 composers, and he is the last one, which is confusing, as before him there were only Kikuchi, Tokunaga and Yamamoto. Maybe he considered Yuya Mori from Super DB Heroes too? Or maybe Chiho Kiyoโ€™oka? (Composer of the CHA-LA-HEAD CHA-LA inspired tracks from Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'), that line doesn't make sense if he was taking Sato into consideration, maybe he meant he was the last one before Sato?
Also, he said he assigned as the composer for the franchise since 2014, Battle of Gods came out in 2013, so I guess they decided to keep him around only after BoG came out? Also, the way things were said it's not suggested that he left the franchise, so maybe he only took a break in Super Hero?
Also, loved the little mention he did to Kikuchi too.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:37 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:09 pmDo you know what are the tracks at 36:54 and 44:48? They don't sound familiar to me.
They remind me of A Break in the Battle from DBS.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 pm

Another concert with Sumitomo and if I understood correctly he presented a new Dragon Ball track which was never heard before or what?

The track starts at 5:30 and I think they are talking about it from 1:20 to 2:10 & from 4:55 to 5:10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3e1QP3doQ

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:40 am

Thanks, well, first, it's from 4:56 to 5:10 only, second, the audio quality isn't good so it's really hard for me to understand what is said, third, there's a kid talking at the same time as the conductor, which makes it even harder to understand what he's saying, the only I can say for sure that I could understand was that the track's title is translated to "Summer Memories", and that's it

Since there isn't a Dragon Ball music composed by Sumitomo officially labeled with that title, and I couldn't recognize the song, yeah, I think it's in fact a new track we never heard before, maybe it's not even supposed to be related to DB

In that first video from November 23, Sumitomo said he was composing a new track, maybe it's supposed to be this one?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 am

Yuka Sato comments on the concert: http://sumitomostf2.jugem.jp/?eid=78
Features a art of Sumitomo with Goku!

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:27 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 am Yuka Sato
How did you arrive at this conclusion? The name there identified herself as an assistant staff member named "yuka", no additional name was mentioned, least of all one confirming that this is Yuka Muraishi (nรฉe Sato).
I highly doubt that the same Yuka who once worked with Yamamoto & company on the Hit Song Collections and other franchise ventures is the yuka who's running Sumitomo's staff blog.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:27 pm How did you arrive at this conclusion? The name there identified herself as an assistant staff member named "yuka", no additional name was mentioned, least of all one confirming that this is Yuka Muraishi (nรฉe Sato).
I highly doubt that the same Yuka who once worked with Yamamoto & company on the Hit Song Collections and other franchise ventures is the yuka who's running Sumitomo's staff blog.
Hmmm...What? my experience with japanese is 00000.1%, but that's not my conclusion, that's just what google translator gave me, her name is Yuka, also know as Yuka Sato, she's the one running the blog and she's the one who made the comments on the concert in this post.
I didn't say at any point that it's the Yuka you're referring to (If I did I would've, well, written Muraishi and not Sato), I just wanted to share the post because I think it was cool, I don't even know who is this person actually, I'm confused with your post.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:18 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 pm Hmmm...What? my experience with japanese is 00000.1%, but that's not my conclusion, that's just what google translator gave me, her name is Yuka, also know as Yuka Sato, she's the one running the blog and she's the one who made the comments on the concert in this post.
I didn't say at any point that it's the Yuka you're referring to (If I did I would've, well, written Muraishi and not Sato), I just wanted to share the post because I think it was cool, I don't even know who is this person actually, I'm confused with your post.
The bolded in particular is the problem, how can you know for sure that Yuka Sato (her maiden name, now she goes by Muraishi after her marriage), the singer, is also an assistant staff member for Sumitomo's blog? Is it just off of that same single name? Because if so, it's a common name over there and it doesn't appear to be linked any more than that.

EDIT: Hold on a second... while even the photo is different for sure, you're right, on her Instagram page it's definitely "Yuka Sato" that she clarifies is her name.

Pardon me, I thought you were referring to the same one that was previously involved in DB franchise music. My mistake, I should have looked more thoroughly rather than reacting on impulse.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:14 am

Nah it's okay, I'm not even good at remembering names so it's always good for me to learn something new ^^
-
No relevant updates though, it seems that the new "Summer Memories" song was only played in that specific concert from the video in Mad Manga's channel, the one with the kid talking over it :( so I still can't give a translation for the full description of the music, if someone owns a better recording of that specific concert seem in Mad Manga's videos, please share it with us.

There is this other concert though, Sumitomo plays a much longer version of BoG's "The Eternal Universe - Budding Friendship" in this one.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:20 am

I see, thanks.
But there's one last thing that I would like to note that may be more relevant for the future, if not now since it turned out correct due to an official page:
Rafa Fast wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 pmthat's just what google translator gave me
Generally it's not advisable to use this or any similar tool (like deepl) to get a JP name reading (if it's unknown).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:55 am

Also I forgot to mention a curious fact, Rie Watanabe, the woman who translated what was said by Sumitomo during the concert, said "he composed more than 1000 tracks for the Dragon Ball serjes" in that first concert, then in the one that I linked in my previous post she says "he composed 700 tracks in total"
The problem is, If you count all the tracks from all the scores that Sumitomo composed for the franchise (including the unreleased tracks from Kai and the extended tracks from Battle of Gods), the count will not even reach 400 tracks
A Reminder that Watanabe translated what Sumitomo said, so either it was the composer himself who made a mistake, or she translated it wrong and the correct translation would be "cien / setenta canciones" (100 / 70 songs) and not "mil / setecientos canciones" (1000 / 700 songs).
I don't know.