DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I downloaded both episodes from YouTube and put them on my Zune and have showed them to some light DBZ fans and some people who have never watched the show before and everyone enjoyed it. They all agreed that it was one of the funniest things they've seen on YouTube. I know most of them didn't get the inside jokes but they all understood the humor.

The reason I'm saying this is because I've also downloaded the ARDBZ episodes and showed those to a lot of people and even though they loved them, nearly all of the people I've asked said that they liked DBZA better. Great job TeamFourStar on creating a hilarious parody that can be enjoyed by everyone. :)
I can say this for a vast majority of people on Youtube: This is not the funniest thing that's on Youtube. I sat down with my 9 year old brother, my mother and my father and watched ARDBZ and DBZA. My brother likes ARDBZ and thinks that DBZA's jokes are too light and aren't enough to have someone (With a good sense of funny) laughing. My parents didn't like either series, because they didn't get the jokes. But, they said that ARDBZ has a much more entertaining feel to it and DBZA took too long to deliver the jokes and when they were delivered, they weren't hilarious. I may say this a lot, but I just need to say this. No offense to Kaiser, Lani, and everyone else(forum members), but this series just doesn't have the "Oomph" to make me go "Ahahaha this is the funniest thing EVER!" . The series (as I have said numerous times before) does have some funny jokes, but they are not delivered well in some instances. Maybe it's just me, being a bad judge?
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm

It's a fan project put together on YouTube for their amusement as well as anyone else that may happen to like it. Not a "Seinfeld Killer" broadcast on NBC Wednesday nights at 7.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:37 pm

This how I see it;

ARDBZ is for people who like Family Guy, DBZA is for people who like Futurama.

..And I like Futurama :x

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:This how I see it;

I don't think people who like Family Guy know how to competently browse Youtube.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:54 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:This how I see it;

Hahahahaha....so true.

I'm sorry, but I find DBZA to be far more intelligent and witty than anything in ARDBZ or whatever. Random humor lost its...well, humor after middle school. And I can't stand Family Guy anymore because of that. >_>

Pain

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:52 pm

So you guys are telling me that DBZA is FAR greater than ARDBZ? And what does this have to do with Family Guy? Futurama is going to come back on TV soon and I admit that it was funny, but not as raw as Family Guy. And to Storm: Let me tell you something. Who gives a damn about intelligence and wittiness in an abridged comedy series? Are you serious?! I've been on this forum for a few months now, and I've never once heard anyone ever say THAT kind of dumb shit. Also, please don't try to insult me because I'm only stating the truth. Don't act like you don't know what ARDBZ is because you probably do. A lot of individuals are trying make a series such as DBZA, which isn't even hilarious, seem like godsend. It's only had 2 episodes and some annoying shorts that aren't even that funny. I feel like a lot of people are insulting my intelligence. :cry:

I say once more: No offense to the actors. This is just my opinion.

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hilarious! Dang, I hope we get a lot more of these with this quality!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:15 pm

Pain wrote:So you guys are telling me that DBZA is FAR greater than ARDBZ? And what does this have to do with Family Guy? Futurama is going to come back on TV soon and I admit that it was funny, but not as raw as Family Guy. And to Storm: Let me tell you something. Who gives a damn about intelligence and wittiness in an abridged comedy series? Are you serious?! I've been on this forum for a few months now, and I've never once heard anyone ever say THAT kind of dumb shit. Also, please don't try to insult me because I'm only stating the truth. Don't act like you don't know what ARDBZ is because you probably do. A lot of individuals are trying make a series such as DBZA, which isn't even hilarious, seem like godsend. It's only had 2 episodes and some annoying shorts that aren't even that funny. I feel like a lot of people are insulting my intelligence. :cry:

I really don't think that the DBZA/Futurama and ARDBZ/Family Guy analogy was meant to be taken as seriously as you are. Nobody (well I guess I can only speak for myself but I'm sure mostly everyone else agrees with me here) is in any way trying to insult your intelligence, we totally respect your preference to ARDBZ and have no problem with it.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Pain wrote:So you guys are telling me that DBZA is FAR greater than ARDBZ? And what does this have to do with Family Guy? Futurama is going to come back on TV soon and I admit that it was funny, but not as raw as Family Guy. And to Storm: Let me tell you something. Who gives a damn about intelligence and wittiness in an abridged comedy series? Are you serious?! I've been on this forum for a few months now, and I've never once heard anyone ever say THAT kind of dumb shit. Also, please don't try to insult me because I'm only stating the truth. Don't act like you don't know what ARDBZ is because you probably do. A lot of individuals are trying make a series such as DBZA, which isn't even hilarious, seem like godsend. It's only had 2 episodes and some annoying shorts that aren't even that funny. I feel like a lot of people are insulting my intelligence. :cry:

I'm not seeing the connection here, if the series is so bad then how come nobody is backing you up on that? And yes, Family Guy and ARDBZ are composed of low-brow humor. Just because a show like DBZA likes to up the intelligence level of it's humor doesn't mean its going to be dry.

I don't say this in a way of disrespect to you, but if this show is so terrible and has nothing of humor to contribute then how come nobody is coming to back you up on this? It just depends if you want a show with low-brow jokes and a more stupid humor or something that can be more intelligent and witty with it's jokes.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Pain

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:32 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:

I'm not seeing the connection here, if the series is so bad then how come nobody is backing you up on that? And yes, Family Guy and ARDBZ are composed of low-brow humor. Just because a show like DBZA likes to up the intelligence level of it's humor doesn't mean its going to be dry.

I don't say this in a way of disrespect to you, but if this show is so terrible and has nothing of humor to contribute then how come nobody is coming to back you up on this? It just depends if you want a show with low-brow jokes and a more stupid humor or something that can be more intelligent and witty with it's jokes.
I wasn't referring to you, but I know what you mean. So I'll put it in a way that I feel comfortable: I'd prefer "low brow" and "stupid" humor over corny and "not funny all the time" humor. But this all depends on a person's taste in comedy. :|

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 pm

I think most people would say that low-brow humor isn't funny all the time either and can get old pretty fast.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:I think most people would say that low-brow humor isn't funny all the time either and can get old pretty fast.
Penis jokes and toilet humor, guaranteed to be funny 100% of the time. Who needs wit and intelligence in their humor? We have random flashbacks and funny wacky voices. :roll:

Sometimes lowbrow humor is fine when injected tastefully in the right situation, but when your whole show is just a lowbrow shit fest that makes its living off of shock value or appeal by 12 year old boys who are very excited to find out people can swear in cartoons or on the interwebs then you need to restyle your comedy.

Do you hear me Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer? :lol:
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 am

Piccolo's myspace is too good for words. I've been showing this video to all of my friends. It's incredible. We constantly quote it now. ("Dammit I'm lonely... Least I have you, Tom.", "HAHAHAHAHAHA!! ... Sorry for your loss.", "Tom, you've been replaced!", and "YOINK!")

Very nicely done.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am

So...why exactly are you here, if you're just here to chew out everything about the abridged series rather than offer constructive criticism?

EDIT: Directed at Pain. Damn this fast growing thread in combination with my stupid connection. :x

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 am

I like my comedy to have an element of wit to it.

Which doesn't involve characters blurting things out for shock value, because according to the internet for something to qualify as a joke, it just has to be "random", I despise this trend in comedy writing today, it's like our television shows are awash in a sea of moronic drivel penned by "writers" who lack the basic literary abilities to write jokes that are even slightly relevant to the plot, they just use characters as hollow vessels to churn out bad jokes one after the other.

ARDBZ is just that.

DBZA has an irreverent playful tone, with jokes that appeal to a varying types of fans, but doesn't pander to internet culture, its a good parody.

ARDBZ is a fantastic example of how not to make me laugh, it's masquerading as a parody, but it's really nothing more than lame jokes coming out of the mouths of Dragonball characters.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I like my comedy to have an element of wit to it.

Which doesn't involve characters blurting things out for shock value, because according to the internet for something to qualify as a joke, it just has to be "random", I despise this trend in comedy writing today, it's like our television shows are awash in a sea of moronic drivel penned by "writers" who lack the basic literary abilities to write jokes that are even slightly relevant to the plot, they just use characters as hollow vessels to churn out bad jokes one after the other.
God, I could rant on for so long about this. But I'm tired, so I'll just say "Amen brother".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:11 am

Agreed. I'm sure you're called Captain Awesome for a reason. :D

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:14 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nWdMi0oycy8

Perfect example right here, this isn't funny at all. I know the Freeza fight was drawn out, but this is just stupid and the music in the background doesn't make any sense, is it supposed to be funny because it's completely out of place and random?

Also, why do they keep bringing up that stupid mystic Gohan joke? It wasn't funny the first time and seeing as how they more or less base their entire series around that joke it makes for a repetitive cycle of the same stupid joke.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:21 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I like my comedy to have an element of wit to it.

ARDBZ is just that.

DBZA has an irreverent playful tone, with jokes that appeal to a varying types of fans, but doesn't pander to internet culture, its a good parody.

ARDBZ is a fantastic example of how not to make me laugh, it's masquerading as a parody, but it's really nothing more than lame jokes coming out of the mouths of Dragonball characters.
You're pretty much right there. I've always seen ARDBZ as more of the Family Guy type of series, and I see DBZA as the type of South Park, Futurama & Monty Python type of series. Just like you I like the more witty and well thought out stuff. No offense to Gozar, but some of his voices sound unnatural.

Hell, I'm still making a Death Note parody series, but I've tried to make it the witty comedy and less of the [Insert Completely Random Irrelevant To The Plot Joke Here]. But, with my parody series I try to make the voices sound natural. I personally think voices have to do with it too, if the voices sound forced or unnatural, that doesn't help.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:33 am

I prefer DBZA over ARDBZ, but both have their great moments. ARDBZ is more hit-and-miss for me, kindof like Family Guy. I do like Gozar's Vegeta impression, though.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]