Episode #0153 (30 November 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0153 (30 November 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 am

Episode #0153 (download MP3) (rss feed)
69:38; 64 kbps, mono; 31.8 MB

Episode #0153! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Hujio and Herms from "Kanzentai" to discuss the Jump Anime Tour special! It has been over ten years since the last real new story, and we are absolutely beside ourselves with joy. Was it a genuinely good product, though? Nearly everything this episode is dedicated to the new special, so come rejoice with us! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the rather sweet *one-hundred-fifty-three* episodes, now.

Fanboy glee. That's all I have to say about it. Big thanks to the Kanzentai guys for being more-than-suitable Julian replacements, but also being fantastic in their own right :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:58 am

Great podcast guys, I listened to it happily while I was grinding my party in Blue Dragon :P

It was nice to hear everyone's take on the special (especially Hujio and Herms), I too had the very nostalgic reaction..I won't deny it, I teared up during Head-Cha-La, as for the rest of the special I loved every minute of it, it reminded me exactly why I loved all the characters and was everything I wanted in a new special (besides being a little short) and can only pray they make it a yearly event.

Anyway, keep up the great work guys.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 am

Yay for having back the top 5 list.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 am

I was surprised nobody mentioned the scene where Son and Vegeta moved it. That was absolutely a "Oh snap!" moment for me.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 am

I definitely *do* think the newness of the special is keeping you guys from being as critical of it as you normally would be. I think it would be neat if you guys go back in like a year or so and re-watch it (on the DVD that you would have been able to obtain in the meantime, of course) and see how your impressions of the special have changed.

It's interesting that you bring up the idea that Dragon Ball Z isn't really seen as being an "anime" in the eyes of the mainstream public. I honestly think that the term "anime" has been a huge setback in the West and that we fans would have been a lot better without it, but that's something for another thread.

Lastly...I heard someone say "could care less" and Na-ROO-toe. Boo.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:19 am

Dogasu wrote:I definitely *do* think the newness of the special is keeping you guys from being as critical of it as you normally would be. I think it would be neat if you guys go back in like a year or so and re-watch it (on the DVD that you would have been able to obtain in the meantime, of course) and see how your impressions of the special have changed.
I'm glad that you caught on that we acknowledged that it is fresh and new and we may be completely delusional with glee.

So far I've watched it three times (1: right away w/ Meri, 2: the next day w/ Jeff, 3: writing up the synopsis 'n stuffage)... and all three times, I've had the same stupid smile on my face. I enjoyed it almost the same amount each of the three times.

I'm definitely curious to see how I feel about it as time goes on. I absolutely adore postmortems and re-visitations (I actually just suggested to Jeff that a good idea would be to take another look at Radiohead's In Rainbows now that it's been so long, and whether or not it holds up). So basically... yes! :D
Dogasu wrote:Lastly...I heard someone say "could care less" and Na-ROO-toe. Boo.
That was all Hujio, I think :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:So far I've watched it three times (1: right away w/ Meri, 2: the next day w/ Jeff, 3: writing up the synopsis 'n stuffage)...
What did Jeff think of it? I'd be interested to know what impressions someone still going through the series for the first time would have. That right there might give a clue as to how much the "OMG new new new!" factor plays in use older fan's impression of the special. Another thing with Jeff is that right now he's only at the start of all the Freeza stuff, while the special deals with throwbacks to the Freeza arc in a "that all was so long ago"-sort of way, almost to the point of making fun of it (like with the "in retrospect Freeza wasn't so bad" line).

Anyway, now that's I've listend to it, I can't believe I let you have the "redundantly redundant" line! Curses, curses...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Dogasu wrote:Lastly...I heard someone say "could care less" and Na-ROO-toe. Boo.
That was all Hujio, I think :P.
Wow, way to throw me under the bus Mike. ;) If you go back and re-listen to the podcast, those two phrases aren't even in the same sentence and are completely un-related to one another. I said that most of the people making the "goku sounds like a girl!!!'" comments are just fans of the dub and could probably care less about the Japanese side of DragonBall. Then later on I talked about how the the Japanese part is really hyped in newer series, like Naruto and One Piece.

By the way, I don't like that I sound all far off in the distance. I guess that's what I get for not using my own computer.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 pm

Movie? Hmmm I don't know, why can't we call it an OVA?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Movie? Hmmm I don't know, why can't we call it an OVA?
The traditional definition of an OVA is something (an "original animation video") released... well... directly to home video. Of course, the term "video" itself has evolved over the years to encompass anything home-format-related, but the fact remains that an OVA is traditionally thought of as something produced to be released direct to the home market.

I know there's been a discussion elsewhere on the forum about what to call it, and there are a lot of good thoughts on a variety of fronts. It was premiered in a "theatrical" setting, but it's episode-length as opposed to a more traditional "movie" length, so that's where my "feature presentation" general idea comes from.

I keep meaning to look this up, but I'm pretty sure there's actually some stipulation (at least in the USA) about being able to call something a "movie" if it's not at least a certain length in raw minutes...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 pm

That line "Just as Dende says" never made sence to me. Glad to know it was a Japanese joke that got lost in translation.

What about when Krilling tells Android 18 that he also wants to fight and she replies "There's no reward". Was that also a line that was hard to translate to English? That seems like an odd thing for her to say.

Edit:
It was premiered in a "theatrical" setting, but it's episode-length as opposed to a more traditional "movie" length, so that's where my "feature presentation" general idea comes from.
What about calling it a theatrical episode? :?
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:What about when Krilling tells Android 18 that he also wants to fight and she replies "There's no reward". Was that also a line that was hard to translate to English? That seems like an odd thing for her to say.
It's just another case of her telling Kuririn not to bother with something if there's no cash prize/reward in it for them. I guess it just didn't come across so well in their translation.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Herms has an incredible podcast voice. I'd listen to an all-Herms podcast if it was available. Even if the topic was commentary on the progressive drying of wet paint on a wall, I'd listen to it.

Hm. I suppose I have nothing else to say, other than that a third "w" was forgotten when saying where to find the Kanzentai folks. =p

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Herms has an incredible podcast voice. I'd listen to an all-Herms podcast if it was available. Even if the topic was commentary on the progressive drying of wet paint on a wall, I'd listen to it.
You and I both. :D
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Hm. I suppose I have nothing else to say, other than that a third "w" was forgotten when saying where to find the Kanzentai folks. =p
Yeah, I noticed that too while listening to it. I didn't even realize I missed that while we were recording and I guess no one else did either, so it stuck.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Hujio wrote:I said that most of the people making the "goku sounds like a girl!!!'" comments are just fans of the dub and could probably care less about the Japanese side of DragonBall.
The phrase is "couldn't care less." If they could care less about the Japanese version, that means they must care about it to some degree.

</pet peeve>

Also...one thing that always cracks me up about the "Goku's Japanese voice is all wrong for a muscular man!!" people is that these very same people don't seem to have any problem with the inapporpriate grandma voice Freeza was given in the dub.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:43 pm

Dogasu wrote:The phrase is "couldn't care less." If they could care less about the Japanese version, that means they must care about it to some degree.

</pet peeve>
I have the same pet peeve. You are the hero guy.

:D

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Dogasu wrote:The phrase is "couldn't care less." If they could care less about the Japanese version, that means they must care about it to some degree.
Touché my friend, you win this round. I guess I totally missed that, twice, so thanks for setting me straight. Though, in all fairness to my statement, there probably are some fans that could care less. :P

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:57 pm

I enjoyed the Podcast thoroughly Mike. I think that this Special really is something great and it's not just because it's so new. If this Special was set up like a typical DBZ Movie and we all thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread I'd say we were all just caught up in the moment. But because it's something that sets it's self apart. Having the early DragonBall style humor and not taking it's self too seriously but with the end of Z cast makes it fresh and unique.

Oh, I've got to say. I too am one of those who was severely disappointed to find out that Vegeta's "You thought wrong" was a bad translation. I just love tat line so much, lol. If FUNi gets this, I hope they use that line. It just seems like something they'd put anyway. :lol:

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:52 pm

D'aww, I should've emailed my shitty paint doodle. Still listening to the rest of episode.

EDIT: Herms, you didn't really mention the "いい子いい子" thing Avo and Cado did with Trunks and Goten. That was one of my biggest pet peeves since they were so inconsistent with it. Also, the "Romper Room" line was "Your childish games are over!" ("幼稚なお遊戯はおしまいだ."/"yochi'na oyugi wa oshimai da.")

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:18 pm

I don't remember if you said it, but something about a Gure and Appule fusion, if you didn't oh well. I'm continuing the absurd character fusion idea:
Gurappule, I didn't use the Metamorian(spelling?) fusion as the fusion idea basis.

Once again, great episode.

I haven't been a fan as long as you, I've been one for 7-8 years, But I know what it's like for no new material for years.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.