Nippon Ijin - TLC past QC done. @new qc round

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:18 am

I'm technically doing the translation check. (You did the initial translations, right?) But, I've been busy with other work so the process has been going slower than I first believed.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Known, remaining issues:

||desirecampbell || Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007 || 2008-08-24 ||
----------------------------------------------------------

Changed the ass file as I thought best, far too many changes to track. Most of the suggested changes have been implemented, here's a quick list of those that /haven't/.

CONTENTIOUS LINE CHANGES

00:05 from = in
-->>The change from "from" to "in" might not seem like much, but words have subtle meanings: saying "from history" implies that you're talking about historical figures that are no longer part of modern life (they've become 'history', long dead) while "in history" doesn't imply this so it leaves implication open for modern examples or even less-famous ones. Best thing here is to get a translation check, probably. Is there any implication from the Japanese text that these contestants will all be from history past?

03:14
Dialogue: 0,0:03:14.21,0:03:14.81,Default,BGM,0000,0000,0000,,Sorry!
Issue: editing
Comment: I'd prefer "Excuse me"" based on the situation.
-->>I'm not sure about it. Is he apologizing for attacking her ("Sorry, but I have to win now") or is he mocking her ("Well excu~se me, Princess")? For the former "sorry" seems best, but for the later "excuse me" or "pardon me" would be better.

04:19 this line should be either:
1) "Shotoku Taishi-sama. You're always called a genius, but you're no match for me!" or;
2) "Shotoku Taishi-sama. They might call you a genius among geniuses, but you're no match for me!"
-->> I could be wrong, but I get the impression that Shiro is very polite - if that's the case, keeping he sentences un-contracted is a good way of showing that. (I could just be hearing Trunks, though, so someone should check).

05:05 missing word: "move/technique" at the end of the line.
-->>Does the announcer /say/ technique? The way we have it now, it's clear that it is a technique of some kind, but if the announcer is referring to it specifically as a technique (rather than simply implying that it is as we have it now) we should change it accordingly.

Dialogue: 0,0:06:59.93,0:07:06.09,Announcer,BGM,0000,0000,0000,,Against him is Shotoku Taishi. Using his high IQ, he beat Amakusa Shirou.
Dialogue: 0,0:06:59.93,0:07:06.09,Announcer,BGM,0000,0000,0000,,Against him is Shotoku Taishi, using his high IQ, he beat Amakusa Shirou.
-->>Still unsure of this line change. The new line doesn't flow well as one line. Either keep it as two lines or change it to "Against him is Shotoku Taishi, who beat Amakusa Shirou using his high IQ." which kind of garbles the sentence.

TRANSLATION CHECKS
-->>All the above should probably be checked for accurateness.

-->>We should finalize what romanizations we're using for names. I just changed all the 'Mussashino's to 'Mussashinou', But Hujio still has it the other way. Either was seems fine, and changing them isn't a big deal, but better to sort it out before problems arise.

-->>Similarly, I changed "Miamoto Yoshitsune" to "Minamoto no Yoshitsune" as per Huijo's page. It only comes up the once, but again, better to get a check on it.

00:21
Dialogue: 0,0:00:21.54,0:00:26.33,Announcer,0,0000,0000,0000,,We have invited a special guest!
Issue: translation.
Comment: tl feels dumbed down, he's saying something about event.
Suggestion fix: Translate check, and maybe have "for this special historic event?" instead?

4:11 "I hope for your best" is a little odd. Is he trying to say "do your best"? "good luck"? "may the best man win"? or is it more like "I hope I don't hurt you too badly"? "I hope you're as good as they say"?

07:09
Dialogue: 0,0:07:09.35,0:07:11.85,Default,BGM,0000,0000,0000,,This is going to be a very close match!
Issue: Translation.
Comment:the translation sounds off to me... Goku says something like "No matter how you look at it, this is not a (fair?) match-up or maybe he says "weird"? I'm not sure, I'm guessing,
but herms or Tatsunoboshi Horoko, tl check please.

MISC

The random double-spaces between lines removed all eleven of them.

Also The signs still look pretty bad, and some seem to be missing information (I can't tell really, the translations might just be short.) Often they overlap other text or are overlapped. And the outlines aren't working properly.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:I'm technically doing the translation check. (You did the initial translations, right?) But, I've been busy with other work so the process has been going slower than I first believed.
Um, so yeah, you or herms, please, please do this fast.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:56 pm

The [---------] come from hearing issues (due to the shitty video quality.) I remember finding out what some of them were, but I apparently didn't write them down. I'll fix them later. This is all I have for right now.

Who is the strongest hero in Japanese history?
These mighty figures will come back all at once, using their superhuman abilities, to fight their way to the top!
This is the First Annual Greatest Influential Figure Tournament!
We have invited a big guest for this, literally, historic event, but he has yet to show up--
Ah! Could that be-?
Sorry to keep you waitin'.
Heya. I'm Goku!
This'll be my first match in a while, so I can't wait for it!
So, who am I fightin'?
Well, we really just want you to watch the matches together as a special guest, you see.
Oh, I see.
But, there'll be a lotta strong guys in them, right?
I'm really excited!
All right, the first match of the first round will be getting underway.
Up first is the unparalleled brute, serving under Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Musashibo Benkei!
He stands at about three meters tall.
Just what kind of grand techniques will be coming from that giant body of his!?
He's huge!
Facing him will be the lone queen who rules the Yamatai Kingdom, Himiko!
This super queen, boasted by the Ancient Japanese, has a background shrouded in secrecy,
and is anticipated to have a plethora of mysterious and magnificent techniques!
I'll wring out that puny body of yours!
You are going to regret underestimating me just because I'm a woman.
Now, this era-transcending battle has gotten underway!
Who will come out with a move first?
Alright! I'll start this off!
What's this? Is it swords?
Slash of the Thousand Pilfered Swords!!
There it is! Benkei's Slash of the Thousand Pilfered Swords!
Benkei is said to have stolen 999 swords, as a sword robber, and wield all of them!
[The swords are flying towards Himiko!]
[However, Himiko doesn't seem to budge, ------]
Come forth, Thousand Servants!
Aah! A thousand female servants have appeared and fended against each sword!
No less from Queen Himiko!
Her expression is relaxed and the amount of servants she boasts are overwhelming!
Incredible! This is like a fight straight out of a dream!
Goku-san, the superhuman techniques in this tournament are all recorded in historical documents.
Oh, really? Gohan should've seen this, then.
Now, with the appearance of Himiko's 1000 servants, Benkei has been put in a disadvantage!
Is there anything he can do now?
Rock Crater - Strong-Arm Slap!!
Oh, my! There's Benkei's open-hand slap, said to dent even rock with a mere thrust of his hand!
This is tremendous! The thousand servants are getting sent flying one after another!
Someone! Protect me!
Forgive me for this!
Himiko is not moving at all!
Musashibo Benkei has won! He will be advancing to finals!
All right, next up is the second match of the first round.
And up first is the elite prince born during the Asuka Period, Shotoku Taiji!
[What kind of godly moves will this prodigy who instated the twelve-level court rank system and advocated the seventeen-article constitution show us all?]
That's the guy all on the money!
He faces the young leader of the Shimabara Rebellion, Amakusa Shiro.
At the mere age of 16, he is a sharp and able person with dashing good looks.
[-------]
He sure is young! Reminds me of the first time I entered the Tenkaichi Tournament.
I wish you the best of luck.
All right, this second match has become a time-transcending showdown between geniuses!
Shotoku Taiji-sama, although it appears you are referred to as a genius amongst geniuses,
you cannot compare to me, because...
Good morning! Guten morgen! Bonjour!
I possess enough intellegence to read and write languages I have never learned.
Way to go, Shiro-sama!
[You're our future!]
I must assume that not even you, Shotoku Taiji-sama, can read languages that you have never learned.
These people are quite loud, aren't they?
His ears got bigger!
Shiro-sama is going to win this all!
I hear them. My ears hear them all.
Goku-san, Shotoku Taiji's technique here is his famous "Twelve-at-the-Same-Time Hearing,"
which is said to allow him to hear people around him conversing at once and comprehend them all.
[---------]
Quite impressive. So then, can you keep up with me?
Ocean Surface Fleet-Foot - Running on the Sea!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks. Timespots for each line would be mighty appriciated.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:20 am

Guys... Do I have to remind each and one of you what your current task is :(?
I don't enjoy running after people... so it would be nice if DesireCampbell could get the editing for the german fandub done, and Herms and Tstsunoboshi Horoko could finaly get a full translation check done on the main subtitles of the japanese language track.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:21 am

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:I'm technically doing the translation check. (You did the initial translations, right?) But, I've been busy with other work so the process has been going slower than I first believed.
Busy and stuff still? Would be nice if you could work something along with Herms, if you're both busy, ssj_rambo knows japanese girl he offered me to ask...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 pm

It's very cool by everyone that are on this project to not do anything.
Thanks a lot. Wow. Did I use sarcasm?
Last edited by sangofe on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 pm

This is bollocks... I really thought that this community could get together and sub some of the most rare pieces of Dragon Ball shizzle...
Makes me sad to realize I was wrong...

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Did I miss something, here? Are the translators paid?
And if they aren't, why are you two complaining?

Geez...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:52 am

Olivier Hague wrote:Did I miss something, here? Are the translators paid?
And if they aren't, why are you two complaining?

Geez...
First off, do you realize I'm the project leader? I complain because I cannot stand slow project, bad communication and I'm very upset by the staff working on this.
So yeah. I've been trying to keep this alive for what feels like half a year, but... there are several people not doing their jobs, and we're only talking about a 10 minute thing!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:00 am

Talk about Room 29 deja vu...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:15 am

bkev wrote:Talk about Room 29 deja vu...
Excuse me?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 am

To be fair, Room 29 didn't get anywhere near as far.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:18 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
To be fair, Room 29 didn't get anywhere near as far.
And I haven't given up either. If desire, herms or Tatsunoboshi Horoko won't do their jobs, I'll beg some fansubber friends to get this finished.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:09 am

sangofe wrote:do you realize I'm the project leader?
Do you realize they offered their help for your project?
You should be thanking them for what they've done already when they didn't have to, not complaining, you ass.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:13 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
sangofe wrote:do you realize I'm the project leader?
Do you realize they offered their help for your project?
You should be thanking them for what they've done already when they didn't have to, not complaining, you ass.
1) This was never a project for myself, but rather for the wonderful daizex community that is here, and I thought it would be a blast to do it with members from here. I could surely have begged other fansubbers I know and already have gotten this done, but I thought it would be much better to do it with real Dragonball fans. That comment alone proves you don't really have an insight about the project. At all.

Since you are not on the project, please shut up. Being called an ass makes me furious. I've had to try and organize this, and each time, things have fallen apart because one person or another "forgot" what they were supposed to do. Do you think it's enjoyable to constantly beg people to get their jobs done? I don't think you would like to do this for months.

Since late June I've been waiting, or maybe it was start of July? I'm not sure anymore, but each time, there's been complications. Do you think I have done nothing? You are completely wrong. I contacted several people, did my best to organize and e-mail people, pm people, timed, qc.

Organizing projects takes a lot of effort of people do not do their tasks seriously and get work done without getting begged. Yes, I realize people get busy, but seriously. Half a year? I've even had someone tell me they "forgot" about it... I initially wanted to get this done in under two weeks...
Yes, I've been very busy with studies at periods, but honestly, I expected people to be a bit more responsive, and make take some initiative to get some things done, instead of forgetting to do things.

This is the end of my rant.
Merry Christmas all.

Edit: edited topic for more of a "Christmas spirit", however I doubt it will change anything, and it makes me sad if we cannot even complete a ten minute long animation.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:30 am

sangofe wrote:the wonderful daizex community that is here
Since you are not on the project, please shut up.
Yeah.
I've had to try and organize this, and each time, things have fallen apart because one person or another "forgot" what they were supposed to do. Do you think it's enjoyable to constantly beg people to get their jobs done?
That's not a "job". You ass. Seriously.
If they're busy, they're busy. Either do the work yourself or find other nice people who can afford to spend time on that and are willing to do so.
Since late June I've been waiting
Oh, the pain!
I guess your workers just don't understand the sheer urgency of the matter. Whose family is to be killed if you don't get your subtitles in time, again?
Do you think I have done nothing? You are completely wrong. I contacted several people, did my best to organize and e-mail people, pm people, timed, qc.
*golf claps*
Then again, it was your idea, so it seems "kinda fitting" that you'd do some work on it (e-mails and PMs? damn!)...
I realize people get busy, but seriously. Half a year?
Unheard of!
I've even had someone tell me they "forgot" about it...
Unthinkable!
Get your priorities straight, people!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:59 am

As someone that is a main organizer for a LARP group that spends a year getting a full-scale cosplay RP event ready, I know all about how frustating it can be to get things done. Having said that, I also know that if you have people that aren't doing the work, find someone who will. If as you say, you've PM'd/ e-mailed/contacted people numerous times for months to get stuff done and so far nothing has come of it, ranting about it on a forum isn't going to get you any further. As Olivier said, the work people are doing for you is on a "voluntary basis". You can't make them do it if they're busy/don't want to. That's when you cut your losses and move on.

My group went through many changes, including walking away from the original organization and the leader because she showed she was incapable of being responsible enough to get stuff done and we refused to work like that. And yes that was after many heartfelt talks to get them to see it. It's just 3 of us and we know each other well enough that we trust each other to get the work done. With other outside help, if they don't come through, we do it ourselves and they're dropped. At the same time, we do understand that real life gets in the way sometimes and crap happens. We always try to be fair in all our organizational/job decisions.

So perhaps then that's what you should be looking into doing instead of airing these grievances on a public forum. You already said you know much more "professional" and "capable" people to get it done. If this project means that much to you that these setbacks are frustrating you so badly, then maybe it's time to go to them instead?

Just my take on it anyways. :)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm

My problem is that I've got so much stuff to do for Kanzentai that I just can't seem to get around to doing this, so I really overextended myself in that way. I'm really sorry about everything, but at this point it probably would be best for you to find someone else to finish it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.