Episode #0188 (23 August 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0188 (23 August 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Episode #0188 (download MP3) (rss feed)
83:57; 64 kbps, mono; 38.4 MB

Episode #0188! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Herms from Kanzentai to discuss the concept of "sento ryoku" in the DragonBall series. Battle powers, power levels, combat strength... whatever it is you want to call them, they have become an important part of fandom and its culture. Are they really that significant in the grand scheme of the series, though? And where did this concept even come from, in the first place? "Raging Blast" news (including SSJ3 Broli), the rest of August's releases, your questions, and much more rounds out the episode! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the interesting *one-hundred-eighty-eight* episodes, now.

Ta-dah~!

w0rd.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:34 pm

The site update describes this as episode 187 rather than 188.

Here's Kanzentai's BP guide to add to the referenced sites.

Despite the topic being so long, it seems like there was a lot more we could have said on the subject (I mean, we never even touched on the whole "over 9,000!" meme). Maybe this should have been a 2-parter?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Listening to the podcast at the moment,. Oh, one more thing...
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Herms wrote:Despite the topic being so long, it seems like there was a lot more we could have said on the subject (I mean, we never even touched on the whole "over 9,000!" meme). Maybe this should have been a 2-parter?
I was considering making a note about how proud I was of us for having such an intelligent discussion not devolve to even mentioning that meme, but figured noting it would defeat its purpose...

So I'll let you go ahead and ruin it, there :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Listening now. Sounds good!

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:22 pm

In terms of the Street Fighter mention... As well as the cyborgs from the anime, there's actual a canon "power level" thing for the Darkstalkers characters. It has the bosses being S Class, with Morrigan's father being S+. It goes down to something like D-Class and apparently below that class is Akuma from Street Fighter. No other SF character makes it onto the list.

The closest I can find to it now is a list in a FAQ, here. Search for Classes.

I also think the way in which many DB fans seem addicted to PLs is ironic since they're consistently shown to be misleading, and are used to show the bad guys over-dependence on technology (the good guys usually use more mystical means like extending staffs, magical balls and flying clouds).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Teclo wrote:In terms of the Street Fighter mention... As well as the cyborgs from the anime, there's actual a canon "power level" thing for the Darkstalkers characters. It has the bosses being S Class, with Morrigan's father being S+.It goes down to something like D-Class and apparently below that class is Akuma from Street Fighter. No other SF character makes it onto the list.
Heh, I've been playing Vampire Savior on the Saturn a lot lately, and I remember something about that. I can't help but wonder if the Darkstalker ranks are based off those from Yu Yu Hakusho, since they're so similiar, and since the Darkstalker characters all come from the Makai/Demon Realm just like the youkai in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Anyway, I apologize for my sound quality, which really gets worse as the episode goes on. We had to re-record a lot of my lines as the episode went on, and even then it's still often undecipherable. I'm really not sure what happened, but Mike did his best to edit around it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:17 pm

I admit, Battle Powers are a guilty pleasure of mine. I have no intention of explicitly criticizing or jumping down the throats of other people in one of those conversations. I try to keep the mind that hobbies should not make you angry. It's simply not worth it. Just take the fun from it (not that we don't all get too involved, but alas).

Very great conversation. Not sure if it should be asked, but maybe try discussing the practice of 'devising battle powers' with those who do it (so long as it's not the crazies!!)?

Alas, who knows...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm looking forward to listening to this on my walk (hopefully not raining) walk home tonight.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Anyway, I apologize for my sound quality, which really gets worse as the episode goes on. We had to re-record a lot of my lines as the episode went on, and even then it's still often undecipherable. I'm really not sure what happened, but Mike did his best to edit around it.
I actually thought it was Winamp screwing up since I was streaming it. Now that you mention it, it was always when you were speaking...

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:48 am

Correcting a full thread must have taken its toll on poor EX. I guess he's human after all :P
VegettoEX wrote:It made sense to cover it once we (were) past the point in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness" where sento ryoku (battle powers, power levels, combat strength...) were no longer relevant, and so now that we have hit that point, it's time to jump into the discussion!
Now, time to delve myself into the rabbit hole of ''power levels''.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 am

Son Wukong wrote:Correcting a full thread must have taken its toll on poor EX. I guess he's human after all :P
Good lord. You're not kidding... :shock:

/me fixed

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:43 am

Battle Powers eh? Definitely my least favorite subject when it comes to this series, but I'll listen anyway.
Considering school starts again this Thursday, I'm gonna save it 'till then.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 am

Does the old Bardock single really have the "World of DBZ" dub special? I was looking for this a few months back, but my research made it look like "World of DBZ" was only on Trunks saga VHS's.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:01 am

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I like Street Fighter II V! :cry:

:lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I like Street Fighter II V! :cry:

:lol:
Which reminds me of Juni's "scouter"-like measurements in Alpha3... even though they're mostly just manipulated weight/height numbers... (Though what she has to say about Ryu gives off the same "impossible... stronger than expected!" vibe...)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:Does the old Bardock single really have the "World of DBZ" dub special? I was looking for this a few months back, but my research made it look like "World of DBZ" was only on Trunks saga VHS's.
I'm not sure if it's on the VHS of the Bardock single, but I DO know the DVD for the Trunks special has it in its "extras" section. So, it's not just the VHS of that special that has it.
-Laserkid