Why is DB/Z/GT viewed as childish?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Bejiita wrote:I also disagree with the censoring the US gives the Japanese anime. That's why when I let my sister watch DBZ she watches the uncut version in Japanese, she's only 7 but she might as well see thigs real, if anything showing scenes where blood is edited out like that can do the opposite for kids, imaging if they saw krillin getting impaled when there ws no blood and thinking they can stab someone and they won't bleed, they might decide to do it to someone!

It may sound crazy, but it could happen, by showing it in it's true colours the child can see the consequences of what would happen if they did stab someone, which could make them actually think twice before doing it. Like, by seeing blood they would know stabbing something sharp through a person will shed blood, and if they already do know then what is the harm in not cutting it out in DBZ?

Sensless really.
I totally agree with, they shouldn't hide really things to children, that's why I find those preschoolar shows not apropriate for kids, as they are lying to them. Blood, death and nudity exists, so there is no reason to hide it :wink:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:24 pm

Power Rangers SPD is currently boggling me. They're not even allowed to kill the enemies now. They've brought in "containment cards". It's something of a running joke by now. x.x They also changed bullets to laser blasts. Which is REALLY funny in an episode where "Omega Ranger" (I prefer Dekabreak, thank you) catches "laser pellets".

Also, missles are apparently a no-no, even though they had no problem with Dragonzord's finger missles.. (for those who watch SPD, the Delta Command Megazord (Dekabase Robo) originally shot missles from its fingers).

So... yeah. Sorry for the geek out.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Quote, by ME, from another topic
I guess the reason people hate it is because, according to them, it is "childish". When they watch DBZ, all they see is guys grunting loudly, energy blasts, and the classic "fast movement of hands and legs". They don't see the apparent story, or the relations the characters share. They don't see what you guys, and now me can see.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:21 pm

I used to watch Power Rangers when I was little ages ago, when it first came out, with the Red, White and Green rangers, and the chinese man Zack or something, they used to kill the enemies and fire missles all the time and I haven't turned out bad.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:33 pm

I totally agree with, they shouldn't hide really things to children, that's why I find those preschoolar shows not apropriate for kids, as they are lying to them. Blood, death and nudity exists, so there is no reason to hide it
Edit: While I agree that some stances on censorship and editing are a bit bizzare and really silly, I believe that you should respect the rights of a parent to teach their children in the way they view is appropriate, not based on what they see on the television.

A lot of preschooler shows don't contain those kinds of themes in the first place, so it'd be inapproriate to add them in because it's taking parental rights away from those who they belong to, regardless of whether or not you think it's a better idea.

more crap: Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and Harry Potter, are all (for the sake of an audio-visual argument) theatrical features with advertised ratings and a crapload of reviews. Dragonball and other such are TV programs, and as such follow different guidelines. If you've seen the Narnia TV series produced by BBC back in the 80's, you'll see it's fairly child-friendly, while the newer Disney/WETA Narnia movie looks more dark and adult.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:11 pm

Magnaboss wrote:
I totally agree with, they shouldn't hide really things to children, that's why I find those preschoolar shows not apropriate for kids, as they are lying to them. Blood, death and nudity exists, so there is no reason to hide it
Edit: While I agree that some stances on censorship and editing are a bit bizzare and really silly, I believe that you should respect the rights of a parent to teach their children in the way they view is appropriate, not based on what they see on the television.
I agree completly. The only argument anyone's ever given for cencorship of TV, Movies or VideoGames is that it'll affect the children. Somehow seeing a child cry wildly and comicly (DBZ episode 1) might cause ireputable damage to the kids. I showed White Ninja Comics to my little brothers (8 years old) because it's funny - but i was responsible enough to look at what I was going to show them beforehand. Most of the strips are real funny, but i don't think this one is appropriate for them. That doesn't mean no one can see it. And it doesn't mean it's not funny (it is damn funny).

Cencorship is a parent's responsibility; not the government's, not the production company's, not the brodcast studio's.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:22 pm

DesireCampbell wrote:Cencorship is a parent's responsibility; not the government's, not the production company's, not the brodcast studio's.
yes, but at the same time, you have to understand that not all parents have the time to watch utterly everything children watch, since they have to work and take time for other, non-entertainment responsibilities.

You need a balance, and while we don't have one yet, it's certianly getting better (the idea that cartoons are only aimed for smaller kids has slowly and slowly been crumbling, now with PG blocks on CN and such. It'll take time but it's getting there. Of coruse there are some entities that, while they usually aren't conciously doing it, push it back a bit further, so who knows).

I guess I should also reply to a few other things, in that I'm actually glad that DB/Z/GT came out in the States. I mean, sure, it didn't have the original music, made more plotholes, and was sometimes a tad bit of nonsense, but as long as people could still appreciate it for being a long, nice story filled with things that appealed to them, I didn't mind. And sure, it'll die out soon, to which I'm not worried, since it's going to be one of those large, nostalgia profit-machines in about ten or so years.

So I mean, while things have annoyed me during the past however many years, I feel glad that I can put it all behind me, because really, it's just a cartoon, and there's nothing to get upset about :)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:45 am

Just a notice when I talked about Lord of the Rings impalements and beheaddings, I was speaking of the original novel written by JRR Tolkien. This was intended for children. Same with the Harry Potter books, which as of late m,ost certainly have been carrying a darker tone - but its still for kids.

I never understood the mentality of protecting children from the negatives of this world. Its by trying to hide them that children become enticed by them. Now I'm certainly not saying gratuitous use of sex and violenvce is good for kids, but exposure to them in minimal ways only serves to help them learn about things. Personally speaking I can say that because as a young child I watched FCC reduced rules shows I did learn a lot about the concequences of violence more then I would have if violence had not been present (The Problem with Power episode of He Man for instance? He Man thinks he accidentally killed someon in there, dark stuff but its a good learning episode).
-Laserkid

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:00 am

B-kun wrote:Power Rangers SPD is currently boggling me. They're not even allowed to kill the enemies now. They've brought in "containment cards". It's something of a running joke by now. x.x They also changed bullets to laser blasts. Which is REALLY funny in an episode where "Omega Ranger" (I prefer Dekabreak, thank you) catches "laser pellets".

Also, missles are apparently a no-no, even though they had no problem with Dragonzord's finger missles.. (for those who watch SPD, the Delta Command Megazord (Dekabase Robo) originally shot missles from its fingers).

So... yeah. Sorry for the geek out.
Blame hypersensitive studios who worry about police brutality. Last season had killings left and right and no one complained.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:08 am

laserkid wrote:Just a notice when I talked about Lord of the Rings impalements and beheaddings, I was speaking of the original novel written by JRR Tolkien. This was intended for children. Same with the Harry Potter books, which as of late m,ost certainly have been carrying a darker tone - but its still for kids.
Well, the thing with Lord of the Rings is that is fairly old, and made in an age where kdis generally grew up quicker. Sign of the times, those sorts of things. Like for example, Fist of the North Star TV wouldn't get made today, assuming it was brand new, because I doubt any Japanese company would want the stigma of putting a show on TV about a man wandering through a post-apocalyptic Japan blowing people's heads up. But in the 80's, that was totally fine.

Harry Potter is a kid's series, but you'll notice that the material actually grows up with the audience, as signs of it getting darker and darker. It's sort of like blending, I guess.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:44 am

Harry Potter is a kid's series, but you'll notice that the material actually grows up with the audience, as signs of it getting darker and darker. It's sort of like blending, I guess.
Yeah, I agree. DB started out as a gag manga, and look how it turned out. I think as the audience matured, so did the story. As the story matured, so did the artwork.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:19 am

I
ll buy matured with the audience for the argument here. But in terms of lifespans, you do realize its not THAT old, its old but not major lifespan diffrence old, they were being written around world war II.
-Laserkid

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:02 am

laserkid wrote:I
ll buy matured with the audience for the argument here. But in terms of lifespans, you do realize its not THAT old, its old but not major lifespan diffrence old, they were being written around world war II.
You have to understand though, that the difference between the 1940's and today, and all in between has been insanely different than any other point in history. The standards and progression of society, it's people, laws, morals, and such has changed so rapidly.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:23 am

Magnaboss wrote:
laserkid wrote:I
You have to understand though, that the difference between the 1940's and today, and all in between has been insanely different than any other point in history. The standards and progression of society, it's people, laws, morals, and such has changed so rapidly.
He's right. Not necessarily for the better, but it's true. These days it's like that episode of The Weeds: mommy's leading a soccer-mom focus group against the school in an attempt to ban all sodas so that their kids'll be healthier, but then goes home and sells weed. :lol:

I love being a cynic. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:01 pm

Well lots of children do stupid things when they see things on the TV.

Doesn't anyone know about that famous persons boy who jumped out of a window thinking he was superman or something? I remember my Mum told me, can't remember who's son it was though. I'll ask her later and post it.

But anyway, things like that make children do it, on an early episode of Z Gohan is balancing on the railing at the top of the Wukong Hospital, when Goku's recovering from the Vegeta fight, that got edited out because some dumb kid might copy Gohan and fall to his death. Who the heck is going to balance on a roof?
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:47 pm

Kids like that who copy things they see on T.V, (I know I wasn't one but I know a few who are :P) should have parents to stop them watching something that can cause problems, or that look out for them when they are trying to climb on a roof...I mean how the F%€K does that happen without a parent noticing!?!
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 pm

Kids are tricky, and for all of their potential, they can be insanely misinformed, misguided, or just plain stupid (because really, some kids aren't as bright as others, you can't deny that).

Chances are we'll never understand the entire run of ogic behind censorship and commitees that decide things that are "appropriate" for children's Television programming, especially Japanese/Japanese-sourced stuff, becaue there are too many angles that are involved.

And shit.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:23 am

Well, you see that's why parents should keep track of what their kids are watching and explain to them that it's "fantasy" and not real life. I remember my mum made sure to do that when I was watching stuff. And the story of the kid who jumped out of a window because he thought he was Superman is practically urban legend at this point, so I wouldn't swear by that one. As far as I'm concerned, parents who don't keep track of what their kids are watching are lazy, period. I get fed up with the rest of the society having to raise people's children because they don't want to be responsible and be a parent.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:34 pm

Just about all anime is aimed at children or pre-teens. And like Jerseymilk said, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I still enjoy Poke'mon!

Another reason I think that these anime are put into groups is because of their era of popularity and release:

mid-80's to mid 90's

Sailor Moon
Drgaonball/Z/GT
Beyblade
Poke'mon
Yu Yu Hakusho

mid-90's and beyond

Naruto
One Piece
a lot of newer Shounen Jump titles

Eventually I think these new shows will fall into a similar "kid-catergorey" as the former.

And on the other note: Kids aren't stupid unless you teach them to be. Like Dayspring mentioned about that TV show: The kids Mom tried to be over-protective and he ends up in worse shit then he might have if she would have went about it differently.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:30 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:And the story of the kid who jumped out of a window because he thought he was Superman is practically urban legend at this point, so I wouldn't swear by that one.
That's because the story is a misinterpreted(sp) metaphor on a failed attempted suicide. When asked why the kid jumped, he said because Superman can, yet Superman's dead. All the soccer-mommies heard was that he was immitating Superman. It was like the guy who killed JFK saying his reasoning was that he was the Catcher in the Rye. It doesn't mean the murder was pointless (to him), it was a metaphor for trying to save the people of the United States from JFK, as any person who read The Catcher in the Rye will certify.

For a decent telling of the Superman metaphor, listen to the lyrics of "These Days" by Bon Jovi, as of when it starts talking about how "Billy Shoes busted both his legs trying to learn to fly."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.