RPG anyone?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:13 pm

Rocketman wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
Rocketman wrote:What about Zenkais?
Alright - I feel really stupid asking, but I've been seeing it all over the forum. So, what's a 'zenkai'?
The jump in power a Saiyan gets when healed from a near-death experience.
Oh, neat. I learned something new today, I only wish it was Calculas instead :P

Anyway, I don't know how Dayspring's going to do it, but in my game I give 1 XP for every Hit Point lost in battle (or otherwise) once the Saiyan heals up.

It might seem weird to give XP for any amount of HP loss, but it serves two purposes: one, it gives Saiyans extra XP after every battle (which makes them stronger like Vegeta says), and two: it works well for the mechanics we see in the story (ie, the more a Saiyan gets hurt the stronger he becomes when he heals). In practice, a Saiyan who drops to near-zero HP and then heals becomes almost twice as powerful.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm

As stated many times: I just want to play a game. If you'll run it, I'm more than fine just following along by your rules.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:As stated many times: I just want to play a game. If you'll run it, I'm more than fine just following along by your rules.
Well, if no one else has any objections I'd love to DM a game. Be warned though, I don't pull any punches - if the dice say 'you die', then you die. No remorse. Of course, that just brings up some really interesting plots (rescue Dayspring from the Next Dimention).

I don't have a complete rule-set though. A lot of 'extra stuff' isn't complete. Like, attack techniques and some simpler stuff like climb, swim, listen checks (though they wouldn't matter much anyway).

But the core-rules are real good. Combat, experience, skill checks, character creation: all well done.

I'd suggest reading over the website and getting familiar with the system. If you have any questions or suggestions, I'd LOVE to hear them.

PS: 'Next Dimention"? What the HFI L did FUNi do to me?! :oops:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:31 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Dayspring wrote:As stated many times: I just want to play a game. If you'll run it, I'm more than fine just following along by your rules.
Well, if no one else has any objections I'd love to DM a game. Be warned though, I don't pull any punches - if the dice say 'you die', then you die. No remorse. Of course, that just brings up some really interesting plots (rescue Dayspring from the Next Dimention).
What?! Even if neither combattant want to kill the other? Why not just make it a critical wound, ie: something special is required if he wants to be able to even START healing normally?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:51 pm

Dayspring wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
What?! Even if neither combattant want to kill the other? Why not just make it a critical wound, ie: something special is required if he wants to be able to even START healing normally?
There is a rule for 'critical wounds' as such. You don't die at zero HP you go unconcious. You only die if your HP goes farther negative than your Body stat, IE if your Body was 1500 and you got beaten up real bad and your HP went to -300 you'd be unconcious (and bleeding, and have broken bones) but alive. You would only die if your HP dropped below -1500.

(Every rule is there for a reason. Some might not seem fair, but hey: somethings arn't fair). :P

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 pm

Fair, noting. I agree with it completely against NPCs and other villains, but if two people are sparring, or at a budoukai, you've guaranteed that a strong person absolutely MUST kill someone who is weaker than them. My point is that you can't pull your punches, which obviously friends would do. Goku+co don't go around killing other budokai contestents simply because they can.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Alright, I shoyuld've said a little more on this: It's actually pretty hard for someone to KILL another player without meaning to.

Let's take an 'average' character at a PL of 90,000. He has an HP of 22,500, a Defence of 11,250, and a Body stat of 1500. On average he will do about 13,000 damage. When applying damage to a character, you first subtract the characters Defence from the damage then subtract that from their HP. So, after one hit he drops from 22,500 HP to 20,750. It should take just over 12 'avergae' hits to knock a character out (assuming they're fighting someone the same strength) or just two 'maximum damage' attacks. And two 'maximum damage' attacks would be like getting a kamehameha right in the face, twice! And even after that you still wouldn't be 'dead' just broken and bleeding.

And if two friends are sparing, they'll probably stop when one guy starts getting hurt (like 5000 out of 22,000 HP) not when he's about to collapse (ie: zero HP).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:00 pm

I see your point. I was thinking more along the lines of a battle coming to the end. Say he has 200HP and his opponent has no choice but to attack that one last time. That would kill him in that case. I guess ONLY in cases of tournaments you'd change the rule somehow?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 pm

It's a really bad idea to change rules like that, the most important thing in an RPG is consistancy. If the rules arn't consistant then the players can't trust the DM, and if they can't trust the DM then they can't try new things based on the rules of the world.

Don't worry about inadvertently killing your friends. It's really hard to kill someone accidentally - it practically never happens (well, okay, it happened once, but he was just being an idiot). :P

Dayspring wrote:I see your point. I was thinking more along the lines of a battle coming to the end. Say he has 200HP and his opponent has no choice but to attack that one last time. That would kill him in that case. I guess ONLY in cases of tournaments you'd change the rule somehow?
Why would he 'have to' attack one more time? A battle can 'end' without someone dying. In D&D you are considered to have defeated an enemy when it is no longer a threat, that could mean killing it, knocking it out, even just disabling a trap is considered 'defeating' something. All of these things would garner you XP.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 pm

OK, time for the n00bish question:
How will we do this? Any RPG's I have played have some sort of visual interface and I was wondering would it be as simple as posting one attack and then replying with a defence etc? Which brings me to the next question: If this is how it is done, will it be here on daizex?
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:46 pm

askani son wrote:OK, time for the n00bish question:
How will we do this? Any RPG's I have played have some sort of visual interface and I was wondering would it be as simple as posting one attack and then replying with a defence etc? Which brings me to the next question: If this is how it is done, will it be here on daizex?
I have no idea how Dayspring wants to do this (I'm putting Dayspring in charge because it's his idea:)) but I've never had a good experience doing this online. RPGs are best done in-person, that's how it started that's how it's ment to be.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:59 pm

I was thinking along the lines of getting a proboards account and just posting one after the other. It would take longer than in person, but it's all I got.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Quick question: How does it work with D&D? Do people keep track of their own stats, or does the GM have to handle everything in case of cheaters? I want to organize the game, but I don't want to have to keep track each and every single minuscule detail for everybody. Instead, I'd like to believe that people are mature enough to not cheat.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm

each player is responsible for their own stats, but the DM usually has a copy (for scheming :twisted:) of each to refer to. I suggest the same thing here, keep a copy of their stats for easy referal (just keep a notepad doc).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm

GOOD. I want to introduce an "independent actions" feature, where each player has five actions per day that they can do outside of the designated meeting times. That's why I'll be using a proboards account instead of a chat feature.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:46 am

Quick question: how does speed/evasion work in D&D? Is it its own defensive-type action before calculating defense? Here's what's in my head when I read R. Talsorian's book:

Scenario 1: Vegeta attacks Goku (fighting+combat+3d6). Goku tries to defend himself by blocking and parrying as many punches and kicks as he can (fighting+combat+3d6). Vegeta's Action - Goku's Action = 100. Goku's Defense is 50. Therefore Damage is 100 - 50 = 50.

Scenario 2: Vegeta attacks Goku (combat+fighting+3d6). Goku tries to defend himself by dodging the attacks altogether (combat+evasion+3d6). Vegeta's Action - Goku's Action = 100. Goku's Defense is 50. Therefore Damage is 100 - 50 = 50.

In other words, is it just a different stat in your action total that can be used in the same fashion?

EDIT: I'm also thinking of introducing a luck skill that would be used for finding random items. You'd get a maximum amount of searches in a day, a your action total would determine how good the item would be. The items would mostly be various amounts gold, since money earning was rarely shown in the manga+anime, but it would also include finding food and Dragonballs.