How can dead characters die a second time?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: How can dead characters die a second time?

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh, it was filler. That explains it.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Piccolo killed Chaozu and Ten was like "oh no!" But King Kai was like, "it's okay, he's already dead, he can't die again, he'll just regenerate...." or something along those lines. That would honestly make the most sense. Dying again is a silly concept.
Is that the dub? Because my memory of that scene is Kaio saying that you don't have to worry about pain when you're dead (since it's just a holdover memory from life that will soon vanish), not that you can't die when you're dead.

But either way, it's filler.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Dub? I can't remember the dialogue but I remember the scene fairly well. I know it's filler, but I think it makes sense for dead people not to die again; feel pain I guess is okay but dying again is silly.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
andrewtuell1991 wrote:They even made jokes now and again about not being able to die while already dead prior to this.
Only in Movie #12, which is non-canon to both the manga and anime.
In anime filler, too. Piccolo "killed" Jiaozi during training in the Namek arc, and he just popped back out with no injuries, only for Kaiō to say "Don't worry! You're all already dead, so you won't die a second time!"
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 am

Why is this even a debate? It's explicitly stated in chapter 317 (Viz) of the manga, during the Chibi Buu battle when Vegeta decides to join the fray.

Goku: You're gonna hold him off while I build up my chi? But that'll take a whole minute...

Vegeta: SO HURRY!!!

Goku: Well... okay!! But you're dead right now... and if you die again you'll be gone... from this world and the afterlife!

Goku: Vegeta. Stay alive.

Vegeta: ... HMF... Tell that to yourself.

Unless Viz messed that whole scene up, but I highly doubt it. It makes sense for Goku to say that to add dramatic tension, but I could be wrong.

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:It's just something Toriyama came up with at the last second to make it look like Vegeta would be in danger while fighting Kid Boo to give
Goku a minute to charge SSJ3. Hence why it was never mentioned before. They even made jokes now and again about not being able to die while already dead prior to this.
I don't remember the anime too much since it's been five years since I watched some of the earlier episodes, but I do remember playing Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2, and there was a part in which King Kai brought Raditz to his planet so Goku could see how much he improved after all that training he did with King Kai. King Kai said :" You don't need to worry about dying, because you're already dead."

Any thoughts? (DBZ:BT2 has one of the most accurate sagas, since they actually follow the original story.)
AKTF

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 am

Deep Thought wrote:Why is this even a debate?
Because of silly filler confusing people.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dabooyaka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dabooyaka » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:37 am

Maybe you can only die again if you are in the living realm, and have a dead body?

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

IDK... taking filler logic into consideration... I guess it depends how you die... If you're just like.. smacked into the ground like Chaozu, you can come back... but if you're all our vaporized, as in Buu blowing up the afterlife, you're gone for good. But then again.... GT had Goku slice Freeza in half and somehow he came back as if nothing happened....

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Dabooyaka wrote:Maybe you can only die again if you are in the living realm, and have a dead body?
Well, Vegeta wasn't exactly in the "living realm" when Goku made the comment.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!