Dragon Ball Kai International Update feel free to contribute

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

madged1

Re: Dragon Ball Kai International Update feel free to contri

Post by madged1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 am

Does anyone have any news for the UK? I already know that Ocean are doing it and Lee Tockar is Frieza. Also wiki says Brian Kingsley is doing Goku and Nappa but being wiki it could be fake.

So, any other news anyone? I would be grateful for a reply.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

sangofe wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:And VegettoEX deserves a wrench thrown at him as I have tried many times (in fact, many months ago) to tell him that a Cantonese redub of "Dragonball" is going to air on Hong Kong's TVB. Or more specifically on their secondary channel, J2 and they will air the new redub as soon as "Fairy Tail" goes on hiatus next week. TVB has been hinting the new Dragonball redub will be followed by Dragonball Kai.

Fairy Tail does kinda need a hiatus as TVB has airing Cantonese dubbed episodes non-stop from Monday to Friday. And since Dragonball is taking that time slot, it will indeed be airing from Mondays to Fridays. So expect Dragonball to be on for a good 5 months straight before Kai premieres.
I had to edit my topic with all the correct and precise sources into a post that was almost good enough to be transformed into a news post before he posted the news about the french Kai situation :P Seriously speaking, I think this is not Mike priority, plus the fact that he's busy enough with other things in life than putting up updates about things he doesn't really care about.
Then Mike Labrie is a bad BAD fan because his site is supposed to encompass EVERYTHING Dragonball. By the way, Dragonball Cantonese redub just premiered today on TVB's J2 channel in Hong Kong.

(By the way, the unintentional insults only go on until VegettoEX actually says something about it. Until then, I throw a wrench at you!)
The world is your's.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 pm

So I'm just now seeing this.

Anyone ever think to... I dunno... e-mail me?

EDIT: Man, are a couple of you serious in getting upset over my not posting about this stuff? I don't mean to be rude (well, OK, I sorta do... but not really!), but can we get a little perspective, please? Furthermore, if you thought it was REALLY important, a courteous little follow-up would have sufficed really darn well. It's very logical to think that maybe I (like everyone else here) don't necessarily have the time to read each and every single post, and if you sent a PM, maybe I missed it.

Even more furthermore, about requesting sources and things written well so I can jump off them... why is that so difficult to understand? We don't just post hearsay. We absolutely require legit, independently-verifiable sources for all real news that we post. If I don't have something I can point to as a source, I'm not going to post it as news. If the things you write to me, as well-intentioned as they are, are written in English JUST broken enough to the point where if I try to regurgitate it and inadvertently get something wrong... well, then I'm not actually helping ANYONE.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Fool. Clearly you're supposed to be omnipotent. Or something. Obviously. So fuck it.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:So I'm just now seeing this.

Anyone ever think to... I dunno... e-mail me?
To be fair, I sent you PM like 3 months ago.
Anyway, I just watched a TV rip of today's airing of Dragonball episode 1. I'm surprised that TVB has actually used the original "Magafushigi Adventure" opening and that closing theme. And they're both textless OP and ED. They commercial eyecatchers actually remain untouched. And it looks like they're actually using the Dragon Box masters. And yes, this is indeed redubbed. I'll have to track down my copy of the old Cantonese dub and find any differences between the two.

And thus, I take the wrench back.

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Fool. Clearly you're supposed to be omnipotent. Or something. Obviously. So fuck it.

~Da Lemmy

You damned right he's supposed to be omnipotent, foo'! He covers anything and everything Dragonball in hopes of enlightening and a bit of entertaining.

Why?
He's VegettoEX, biatch! Deal with it!
The world is your's.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:20 am

Episode 17 of the Catalan dub aired and the insert song was untouched. They have been always singing almost all of the DB-related songs in their language so I expected it again, but never happened.:?

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:47 am

kei17 wrote:Episode 17 of the Catalan dub aired and the insert song was untouched. They have been always singing almost all of the DB-related songs in their language so I expected it again, but never happened.:?
It wasn't that weird they didn't dub the song: The classic Catalan dub not always dubbed the songs. The retrospective scene at the end of Uranai Baba "Tournament" was simply deleted. The song played while Kaiohsama is telling Goku the history of the Saiyans is not played. "Mind Power" (DBZ episode 139) was placed without vocals (karaoke version). The same with half of the movie ending themes. They dubbed only DBZ movies 1 to 6 endings, the rest of them (including the TV specials) were just karaoke versions. OH, and "We Gotta Power" and "Bokutachi Wa Tenshi Datta" open-ending never appeared in the Catalan dub. They kept the CHALA-ZENKAI open-ending till the end...

By the way, I can confirm the Catalan script is based on the UNCUT English script: They match in a 90%. But they fixed some things like "Kikoho" instead of "Tribeam", "Bola Genki" instead of "Spirit Bomb", and some minor dialog changes...

I guess they "borrowed" the English script (pretty accurate per se) in order to make easier the Westernization of the script, but always bearing in mind the original Japanese script.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am

biohazard wrote:
kei17 wrote:Episode 17 of the Catalan dub aired and the insert song was untouched. They have been always singing almost all of the DB-related songs in their language so I expected it again, but never happened.:?
It wasn't that weird they didn't dub the song: The classic Catalan dub not always dubbed the songs. The retrospective scene at the end of Uranai Baba "Tournament" was simply deleted. The song played while Kaiohsama is telling Goku the history of the Saiyans is not played. "Mind Power" (DBZ episode 139) was placed without vocals (karaoke version). The same with half of the movie ending themes. They dubbed only DBZ movies 1 to 6 endings, the rest of them (including the TV specials) were just karaoke versions. OH, and "We Gotta Power" and "Bokutachi Wa Tenshi Datta" open-ending never appeared in the Catalan dub. They kept the CHALA-ZENKAI open-ending till the end...

By the way, I can confirm the Catalan script is based on the UNCUT English script: They match in a 90%. But they fixed some things like "Kikoho" instead of "Tribeam", "Bola Genki" instead of "Spirit Bomb", and some minor dialog changes...

I guess they "borrowed" the English script (pretty accurate per se) in order to make easier the Westernization of the script, but always bearing in mind the original Japanese script.
It is interesting to see how the European dubs varies, because the French is translated from the Japanese script. I hope we will see more dubs of Kai in Europe soon!

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Another hint that make me think the Catalan dub is a "Japamerican" script adaption is the use of "Gyumaoh" instead of Ox-King.
Chichi's father was never called by his original Japanese name in the Catalan dub till now. He was called "Ox-Satan", "Rei Bou d'Aigua" or "el pare de la Chichi" in the classic Catalan dub.
sangofe wrote:It is interesting to see how the European dubs varies, because the French is translated from the Japanese script. I hope we will see more dubs of Kai in Europe soon!
Well, there will be the Castilian (Spanish from Spain) dub sonner or late since Selecta Vision was working on acquiring the license. I think they won't have problems because they did a very nice job with DB, Z, GT & The Movies DVD editions :)

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:03 am

Just watched the first episode on NZ Cartoon Network and this is a different approach from the Nicktoons and Toonzai version.

The one that played was essentially the uncut version (has the full Dragon Soul and Yeah! Break! Care! Break! songs), the blocky title cards and all the dialogue heard in the DVD/Blu-Ray version (all the damns, hells and killing retained), but they cut out stuff too like shortening the assault on Freeza in the beginning and when Roshi tries to touch Bulma, as well as Farmer with Shotgun's cigarette (instead of painting it out) and when Raditz tailwhips Kuririn. The next episode preview also plays after the credits.

In the intro which was obviously left as is, claims the music is Kenji Yamamoto's, but it plays the Kikuchi replacement score.

I've recorded it on My SKY so I'll post some photos soon.

EDIT: Here are photos, I would have posted DVD screenshots instead but I still haven't recieved my new DVD recorder:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:The one that played was essentially the uncut version (has the full Dragon Soul and Yeah! Break! Care! Break! songs), the blocky title cards and all the dialogue heard in the DVD/Blu-Ray version (all the damns, hells and killing retained), but they cut out stuff too like shortening the assault on Freeza in the beginning and when Roshi tries to touch Bulma, as well as Farmer with Shotgun's cigarette (instead of painting it out) and when Raditz tailwhips Kuririn. The next episode preview also plays after the credits.
I saw the Thai dub and it's got exactly the same censorship. Thai imported Kai from FUNi, so it means they are using the same slightly-edited master.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oy4QIIjrDE

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:40 pm

kei17 wrote:I saw the Thai dub and it's got exactly the same censorship. Thai imported Kai from FUNi, so it means they are using the same slightly-edited master.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oy4QIIjrDE
That's the one, I first assumed they were just taking the Madman DVDs and doing a cut & paste job, but I guess not.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm

It must be nice living somewhere they don't run the shows past their intended time slot and actually show the credits instead of commercials with the credits in a corner scroll...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 am

Now Kai is back on Brazilian CN, and of course it has the Kikuchi score. But oddly enough, the Yamamoto score slipped into episode 28. How sloppy.

*Edit: here's a video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugytu15IGvY

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:29 am

kei17 wrote:Now Kai is back on Brazilian CN, and of course it has the Kikuchi score. But oddly enough, the Yamamoto score slipped into episode 28. How sloppy.

*Edit: here's a video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugytu15IGvY
That's kind of weird, but since they're using FUNimation's source some errors are going to happen eventually like this one.

DBZ Kai's Brazilian dub is really good, I can't wait for the PT-BR dub of Episode 48 where Goku will literally say this below (I'd assume).

"Eu sou o Super Saiyajin, Son Gokû!!" scratch that. It's "Eu sou o Goku, o Super Saiyajin" :?

Oh wait, it's already 49 and up! Sweet, thank goodness I checked Dragon Ball Kai - DUBLADO (PT-BR) blog.

Now I'll wait for Catalán dub to also reach episode 48, interested on their dialogue speech of Goku.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gohaz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gohaz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am

The Brazilian Kai replaced Vegeta and Fireza's respective dubbers, it sucks so bad!
"Hahaaaaaa, eat my dust, Piccolo!"
- Goku, Fast but not so Furious.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Gohaz wrote:The Brazilian Kai replaced Vegeta and Fireza's respective dubbers, it sucks so bad!
I don't know Freeza sounded like Nakao a bit.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:41 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
Gohaz wrote:The Brazilian Kai replaced Vegeta and Fireza's respective dubbers, it sucks so bad!
I don't know Freeza sounded like Nakao a bit.
Yeah, I got a little bit of Ayres/Nakao vibe from it. I personally like all the Latin American/South American Freeza's I've heard so far in Kai. And I liked Freeza in the original Mexican dub; but, I like the new one better. His voice is really deep; but, it works. I'm the kind of guy who wants to go into Pro VA'ing and am interested in dubs of shows. Whether American/Japanese/etc.

Kai's been good on Freeza voices, probably minus the Korean one. She's a great actress and is very Nakao-like; but, I still think Freeza should be voiced by a male.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Not only is the score wrong, but the episode has some serious sound mixing errors as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ubd3ePUUY

- Ayres's giggle in the English dub is accidentally left.
- There are no sound effects around the arrival of Ginyu Force.
- "Ginyu Force Rules!" song is terribly off-sync.

The Mexican Spanish dub has the correct score and none of these errors in episode 28 though they are importing Kai from the same company.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:06 pm

kei17 wrote:Not only is the score wrong, but the episode has some serious sound mixing errors as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ubd3ePUUY

- Ayres's giggle in the English dub is accidentally left.
- There are no sound effects around the arrival of Ginyu Force.
- "Ginyu Force Rules!" song is terribly off-sync.

The Mexican Spanish dub has the correct score none of these errors in episode 28 though they are importing Kai from the same company.
That's terrible, it's basically all wrong.

What on earth happened to the BR dub, but the uncut dub from the DVDs won't be affected by this sort of thing, hopefully.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray