Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Any progress to speak of?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:04 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Any progress to speak of?
Last I checked the site had turning into Blog Wiki.I talked to one dude and he said theres nothing to do on the wiki and nothing needs changing or something like that so now the trend is to blog.
Last edited by Saimaroimaru on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:15 am

I don't know if we've discussed this or not, but would it okay to add funny captions like what they do at the Transformers and Madoka Magica wikis?

Ex.

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:06 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I don't know if we've discussed this or not, but would it okay to add funny captions like what they do at the Transformers and Madoka Magica wikis?
I personally think stuff like that is pointless and that it's a mistake to try introducing something as subjective as humor into a cooperative and fact-based project like this. I also think captions as a whole are very overused in most of these fandom-based wikis, often providing unneeded explanations of pictures that speak for themselves. Not to mention that even if we did it, something like that would be just a bonus feature, to be added after the basics have been taken care of. It's not something we should be discussing when we still haven't written the first word of this thing.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Every time I use Google to look up something Dragon Ball related, the first result is always The Dragon Ball Wiki. I believe this travesty is our fault for not putting out a better alternative sooner.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Every time I use Google to look up something Dragon Ball related, the first result is always The Dragon Ball Wiki. I believe this travesty is our fault for not putting out a better alternative sooner.
Point taken.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:07 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Every time I use Google to look up something Dragon Ball related, the first result is always The Dragon Ball Wiki. I believe this travesty is our fault for not putting out a better alternative sooner.
That's probably true, but it might also be that all the wikia wikis link to each other, and thus better search results.
O.o; Why the 511 character limit?
ドラゴンボールZ

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Personally, I think that this attempt to improve the Dragon Ball Wikia (dragonball.wikia.org) is actually making things worse. I think it should be left as what most of it's users see it and want it as...an English dub Dragon Ball Wikia. This current "mutt" that seems to be going on isn't really pleasing either side. If it were solely focused on the dub, it would be easier to maintain and less likely to contradict itself (except for in instances where that is impossible because of...ya know...the dub). It would still have a huge American fan base, and there wouldn't be cross-contamination issues.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 pm

People are attempting to improve Dragon Ball Wikia?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:55 pm

That's the impression I've gotten from reading posts from the Wikia staff here.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Well, I suppose so, but...even if they'd just left it the way it was, the Wikia already had tons of misinformation that wasn't from the dub and didn't have anything to do with it being based on the English version. Rather than just leave it as it is because it's "good enough", we should leave it how it is because it's a lost cause.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I might agree with you, but from what has been said, it seems that the admins there are really interested in keeping it running.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, they can do that. I don't think what they do matters to most of us.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 am

Well... Kind of, it does. I did three Google searches with very basic Dragon Ball terms: "Goku", "Kuririn", and "Capsule Corp". As expected, Dragon Ball Wiki is the second referral right under Wikipedia. Even when I used the manga translation for Kuririn, it refers me to the Dragon Ball Wiki page for "Krillin". And the DB Wiki is the first result when one looks up "Capsule Corp".

The point is, when you are on the first page of Google search results, you pull a lot of weight. That is the general publics' first stop for Dragon Ball knowledge. Its a shame because that site has no order, has no focus, and no consistency. That reflects poorly on the franchise, and us fans in general.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 pm

I personally suggested they just completely reformat every article and start from scratch, but they never responded. Though, I don't know if that's possible without just closing it.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

My personal hope for this wiki is that we'll be allowed to catalog all the different home video releases a bit more definitively. There are 100s of articles on the boards about the different DVD releases, but they're so unorganized it takes hours to find the information you need. There's a bunch of info on here about the French releases which was invaluable to a project I was doing, but it took me hours to find.

Something like this level of catalog: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD

Except with covers and comparison shots.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:58 pm

I prefer referencing the manga because it makes more sense without all the inconsistencies and inconsistent feats introduced with filler, GT, weird animation anomalies (Frieza's timer), etc. The Dragon Ball universe is best realized from the source material, everything else is elaborate fan fiction for money. I just think this Wiki should clearly state whether something is taken from the manga (source) or not. Also if you look at the definition of canon it gives the example of Shakespeare and how his canon is only his original stories, wouldn't that make the manga the official db canon?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:I prefer referencing the manga because it makes more sense without all the inconsistencies and inconsistent feats introduced with filler, GT, weird animation anomalies (Frieza's timer), etc.
This has basically already reached a consensus.
Nex Carnifex wrote:The Dragon Ball universe is best realized from the source material, everything else is elaborate fan fiction for money.
Wha...
Nex Carnifex wrote:Also if you look at the definition of canon it gives the example of Shakespeare and how his canon is only his original stories, wouldn't that make the manga the official db canon?
Well...no. If you're gonna define DB's "canon" like Shakespeare's canon then you can either mean all authentic works from Toriyama or the franchise itself. The former would include things like Cowa! to collaborations like Cross Epoch. The latter would include everything from GT to DB Heroes. No need to bog down the wiki with things like "canon", which as stated time and time again, there still isn't an official one.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:I just think this Wiki should clearly state whether something is taken from the manga (source) or not.
I'm certain that that's the way it would be done, without anyone really needing to suggest that.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Also if you look at the definition of canon it gives the example of Shakespeare and how his canon is only his original stories, wouldn't that make the manga the official db canon?
No, because that's only one example. "Official canon" can vary significantly between authors and franchises depending on what the people in charge want. Paramount, for instance, maintains that Star Trek's official canon is "anything that happens on screen and nothing more." There's no easy to to work out what an official canon contains because it can literally be whatever the people in charge say, and since no one's given any official word on Dragon Ball's canon, it has none.