Episode #0011 (29 January 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:57 am

'Bout Gokuu using Kaiouken while in SSJ, it's pretty funny to see SSJ Gokuu using Kaiouken in Jump Superstars ^_~ (5-koma, Up-X special). Especially since JSS should be based on manga, not on anime ~_~
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Silent_Rage

Post by Silent_Rage » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Great Podcast! :D

I love Trunks' music. My favourite DBZ song of all time has got to be Hikari no willpower. The second I turn on that song I get an instant boost of energy. I have no clue why, I guess the song is just so energetic.

I really haven't been able to find a place to download it since you last had them on your site. I guess I should be buying the CDs instead. :oops:

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm

About "Hikari no Will Power", I think the notes played on the keyboard are not necessarily wrong, but just sound dissonant. So I would guess that it's intentional.

By the way, for those of you can understand Chinese and/or Japanese, there's a really good link for downloading DBZ music
http://hk.geocities.com/dbjgjlf0/
Last edited by kvon on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 pm

I loved Hikari No Will Power! I used to use Trunks in Ultimate Battle 22 and pause the game just to listen to it over and over.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:03 pm

Talking about Trunk's awesome French voice, here's the clip where he turns ssj in the oav :)

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XW8 ... T3O9HC7566

if people want more clips from chinese, japanese and french versions, ask me, i have made from video tapes back in time a total number of 642 movies (was my hobby 5-6 years ago)

+
I couldn't stop digging in my archieve, here's another trunks clipr, trunks killing freeza:

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3V52 ... KDNW636XQ2

sintalius

DBZ flash

Post by sintalius » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:20 pm

VegetoEX, you should really check out http://www.zarbonsmasterpiecetheater.com if you haven't already. It's hilarious.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:49 pm

I know this is an odd question but it's sort of related since Julian mentioned it in the podcast..how many Yotsubato graphic novels have they published in japan so far? I've been waiting for the 4th one to come out here and ADV's website is terrible in terms of announcing street dates for their manga.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Majin_Gojira

Post by Majin_Gojira » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:51 pm

When I heard about the bad dub of Movies 5 & 6, I remembered I got a VCD of Movie 12 dubbed by a company in Maylasia. My god, this dub is horrible, Paikuhan is called Piccolo, Goku is called both Gohan and Goku, Freeza has no name, and Goku & Gohan are brothers. Plus, the Kamehameha is called Dragonball Power. I thought the dub of this was worse than the dub of Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins. At least it was only $8, I got it at http://www.vcdcd.com. They also have other DBZ VCDs, all with inaccurate covers. If you want an $8 laugh, check it out. Be aware, it is PAL, so you have to play it on your computer or a Region Free DVD player that also plays VCDs.
Now, to cure my case of the Mondays, I'm watching Office Space.
Peace!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:I know this is an odd question but it's sort of related since Julian mentioned it in the podcast..how many Yotsubato graphic novels have they published in japan so far? I've been waiting for the 4th one to come out here and ADV's website is terrible in terms of announcing street dates for their manga.
There's just 4 out in Japan, though I think 5 should be due out by summer (it hasn't been announced yet, but such would fit the release pattern).

But anyway... podcast! :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:35 am

Great podcast, you guys! I just got new speakers and have gotten to listen to my first podcast since episode 2, DLed and listened to episodes 3, 4, 10, and 11. Glad to hear how much you've all been improving upon an already awesome project. Keep up the good work, and here's hoping I get my emailed questions answered next episode. By the way, I'm curious if EX will bring old timer Roshi back for a cameo, maybe he'll hit on Meri, who knows. :P
14 years later

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:41 am

another great podcast, well done
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:23 pm

First off, I enjoyed the Podcast...as always.

In regards to the Kaioken questions, here is my fan speculation. From what I saw/read, Kaioken was originally intended to double (triple?) Goku's strength and speed in a short burst for a quick, focused attack. When used for long periods of time, it bacame more damaging to his body a could actually kill him.

My theory is this would probrably be carried over to his SSJ form. If Goku were to use Kaioken for an extended period of time it would weaken him to a point where he would drop out of his SSJ form and would not be able to power back up without a significant rest period (or senzu). In battle with a stronger opponent, this would prove counter productive if he could not finish the fight quickly.

The closest comparison I can make would be when Goku powered up to SSJ3 for Buu. It took a lot of energy to do it and when he powered down he was sweating and out of breath. I also believe at one point during his fight with Kid Buu IIRC, he suddenly dropped out of SSJ3. In my opinion, using Kaioken to increase his power would have a similar effect.

Just my insight on it.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:54 am

AMAZING, excellent podcast guys! I really enjoyed that you put the music in that you described, as it helped the overall feel. I learned a lot in this podcast, particularly the image songs department. Up until today I thought those were like Vegeta's Cooking Hell and (on my slayers next CD) Monologue of Gourry where VAs sang stuff as their characters. I didn't know they also included songs originally made for a CD releases. I appreciate that bit of information a lot!
-Laserkid

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Well, because it seemed that you guys were not sure about the bass in the first song mentioned, that definitely is a slap-base style. Whether or not it is authentic is another story, but considering that it is mostly keyboards it probably isn't. I don't really know that part though, I'm just guessing there. But it's slap, the same thing that was used in Seinfeld for scene changes, without a doubt in my mind.

Great podcast by the way, and I liked the music used to transition from different sections of the show. It was a nice touch.

I have a theory about the Super Kaioken, (aside from it's from a filler arc,) that I think fits. If you die again in Other World, you are completely bye-bye, right? My theory is that the halo is there to provide energy to prevent that. The only evidence I have to support this is from the dub, in which Vegeta fought Majin Buu the first time with a halo. Then he was wished back to life, and without it he fought Buu again and didn't last as long. Goku also said something like, “Watch out Vegeta! Your body isn't as durable now as it was before!” or something similar. Again, from the dub. So, that said, the halo gives you energy to make sure you stay alive, (please don't misinterperate me here. I'm not saying it makes you stronger, I'm saying it gives you energy so that it's harder to die again. So, in a sense, you can have more stamina with a halo then without one.) That's my theory on the table.

And finally, make sure not to yell straight into the mic when yelling Julians name in anguish. (*cough*Meri*cough*) :P

Aside from that, keep it up! :D
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:00 pm

For Goku after SUper Saiyan kaioken became kind of obsolete, but I wish Toriyama had Tien and Yamcha learn it. You would think so as long as they were there.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:47 pm

I would say that the disuse of Kaio Ken would probably be due to it only having an effect on multiplying strength, speed and whatnot from the base point, i.e. from the normal state rather than current state, meaning that it would only amplify Goku's core of the non-transformed Saiyajin state, even if in the current state he is a Super Saiyajin. (Of course, this is only conjecture, as there is no explanation at all from the series.)

Taking this into perspective, in the state of a Super Saiyajin, with strength and speed being multiplied many times already from the normal Saiyajin state, using Kaio Ken would be superfluous except if you use it to high multitudes which would also be very dangerous (say, fifteen times Kaio Ken) in order to surpass the level of a Super Saiyajin. In other words, I'm treating the effects of Kaio Ken and Super Saiyajin transformations independently:

[15 x normal Saiyajin (by Kaio Ken)] > [Super Saiyajin I]

And, as it can be said that the transformations of Super Saiyajin and that of II, III and IV already improves speed and strength without much strain thus being much more efficient and effective, this would render the Kaio Ken obsolete except in emergency situations.

In short, it can be said that Kaio Ken was only used because the better method of Super Saiyajin transformation had not been discovered or reached yet and that Kaio Ken improves upon the base point only.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

Goten88gt

A response to podcast, and more!

Post by Goten88gt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:48 am

This is my first post, and I am very excited about listening to podcast! I love how you guys do the pronunciations for DragonBall. I never knew that kaioken was pronounced that way, or supa saiyajin. I did learn how to read a small amount of kanji from Shonen Jump. I'm trying to teach myself to read japanese, and recognize it.

The Trunks music was awesome, I still don't know what the song was, but I'll look it up and pronounce it correctly. I have downloaded some Hironobu Kageyama's songs from DragonBall. I would have to say that my favorite song is We Gotta Power. I just love the beat to the song, and how Kageyama says it with such feeling.

The first time I have ever watched DragonBall Z was 11 or 10 years ago I think. DragonBall Z was airing on Turner Network I think? It had shows like Dexters Laboratory, Sailormoon, and DBZ. If you guys could make sure that it was on that channel during 1995-1996 I would appreciate it. Anyways, I was flipping through channels when I saw the episode with Bulma, Krillin, and Gohan on Namek checking out to see if Vegeta came. You know the one when their spaceship gets destroyed by Freeza's henchmen. I didn't know what I was watching and when it turned to Bulma's big blue eyes, I changed the channel. haha, I guess her eyes scared me, haha.

Sorry for telling you my dbz experience, now back to podcast. I loved it, keep up the good work. I love to hear Julian speak japanese, and you and Meri updating everyone with news. I can not wait for episode 12. I am glad that I have now became a member of daizenshuu EX.

DBZ fan,
Jarrett Kennedy
Japanese: イタズラ好きな 君が 夢を競う ライバルになるのさ

Romanized: Itazura-zuki na kimi ga Yume o kisou raibaru ni naru no sa

English: You, who love mischief, Will become a rival competing for your dream!

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Great job on the Podcast guys, not just on this one, but on all of them. They’re a good listen.

Regarding Mirai Trunks and the special attention he seems to get in video games and music, even though his time in the series was relatively brief, I think part of it is because he's such a one off character. I mean, he's like a guest star, he shows up and appears in one saga, plays out his role, and then he’s gone, never to be seen again. Although his presence can still be felt in the series through his present counterpart, they’re two genuinely different characters with different personalities, so it’s not the same at all.

I guess it’s better to leave early, leaving people to want more from you, rather than to outstay your welcome, which I think was the case with Mirai Trunks. Even though he’d very much played out his role in the Cell saga, it wasn’t like we were getting tired of him by the time he left, and since he was a such a likeable character, we wouldn’t have minded if he had stuck around into the Buu saga.

I’d kill to see how Mirai Trunks would have reacted and interacted in the whole Majin Vegeta arc.