Is there going to be another DragonBall Z game for the DS?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten88gt

Is there going to be another DragonBall Z game for the DS?

Post by Goten88gt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 pm

I would think that there would be another DBZ game for the Nintendo DS. I mean DragonBall Z SuperSonic Warriors 2 was an excellent game. I have noticed that some new DS games are more 3D based. I mean I love 2D games, but I would also like to see more 3D games. Since Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing came out for the DS, graphics have been increasing. A DragonBall Z Budokai game would be awesome on the DS. Who knows it could happen :D
Japanese: イタズラ好きな 君が 夢を競う ライバルになるのさ

Romanized: Itazura-zuki na kimi ga Yume o kisou raibaru ni naru no sa

English: You, who love mischief, Will become a rival competing for your dream!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:03 pm

I don't know, I suppose it's possible. However with Atari's new interest in the PsP genre, I'm not holding high hopes, especially considering GBA games are still being released. What I want everyone to answer is, will there be any more X-Box games? It almost makes me laugh that the X-Box purists only get Sagas to play, maybe because they get so many other cool games the Ps2 hasn't. 5 Ps2 DBZ games on the other hand, a 6th on its way, we Ps2ers got it made. Agreed? :D
14 years later

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:22 pm

On that note, does the Gameboy Player, for the Gamecube, handle DS games? I want to play SSW2, damn it!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:36 pm

Dayspring wrote:On that note, does the Gameboy Player, for the Gamecube, handle DS games? I want to play SSW2, damn it!
No it doesn't, that is why it is a gameboy player, not a DSplayer. Even so, you can't touch your tv screen.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:04 pm

kindertuin wrote:
Dayspring wrote:On that note, does the Gameboy Player, for the Gamecube, handle DS games? I want to play SSW2, damn it!
No it doesn't, that is why it is a gameboy player, not a DSplayer. Even so, you can't touch your tv screen.
I can touch mine, is your's concealed behind a wall or something? A guy I knew was like that, his family's religion thought that TV was the devil, so they kept the TV in the closet (I don't know why they even had one).

you could always try this http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum16.html :D

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:22 pm

kindertuin wrote:
All right! Yeesh! I was just asking since I don't know what's backwards compatible with what anymore!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Will there be another game for the DS? Uhh... possibly? We don't know anything you can't find out and read elsewhere :).

Nintendo does not officially consider the DS part of the "GameBoy" family (despite it playing GBA games). The Super GameBoy (SNES) will play GB and SGB-enhanced games. The GameBoy Player (GC) will play GB, SBG-enhanced, GBC, and GBA games.

As noted, the DS is an entirely different monster. System stats aside, there's the touch-screen built in to the system that wouldn't be possible with any other current hardware.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:55 am

All right! Yeesh! I was just asking since I don't know what's backwards compatible with what anymore!
Sorry Dayspring, didn't wrote that to insult you, I just wanted to point that out!
I can touch mine, is your's concealed behind a wall or something? A guy I knew was like that, his family's religion thought that TV was the devil, so they kept the TV in the closet (I don't know why they even had one).
Didn't see that one comming. But you are right, you can touch your tv. It is just that most of them doesn't have a touch screen function.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:37 am

kindertuin wrote:Didn't see that one comming. But you are right, you can touch your tv. It is just that most of them doesn't have a touch screen function.
Aww crackers, no one gets my jokes :cry:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:07 am

:shock: TV = Satan? :lol: I touch my TV all the time, though I won't tell you what's on when I do...

:P I really hope we get something like a Budokai for DS, it's the only handlheld that's not a gameboy I own. I would love something like this, to make up for the ever so shitty SSW2... :x
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:39 am

SSW I believe is one of the best dbz games you can get out there!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 am

:x The first one is, but the second one shames the name 'Supersonic Warriors'. The whati-if? storylines in SSW2 are worse than what my ten year-old brother's 'Super Saiyajin Krillin' storyline. :roll: SSW2 also has one of the worst control schemes for a game I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying this 'cause it's a DS game. Look at Mario 64 DS: It's controls are fine, taking full capability of the Nintendo DS' power.

The worst move made here was the switch from Banpresto to Arc System Works... :x

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:25 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
:x The first one is, but the second one shames the name 'Supersonic Warriors'. The whati-if? storylines in SSW2 are worse than what my ten year-old brother's 'Super Saiyajin Krillin' storyline. :roll: SSW2 also has one of the worst control schemes for a game I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying this 'cause it's a DS game. Look at Mario 64 DS: It's controls are fine, taking full capability of the Nintendo DS' power.

The worst move made here was the switch from Banpresto to Arc System Works... :x
Is it that bad? Could you tell me what you liked and hated abouth it? Mayby compare with the gba game.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:45 am

kindertuin wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:

Is it that bad? Could you tell me what you liked and hated abouth it? Mayby compare with the gba game.
Alright, here goes...

The Good:

GBA
-Great Control
-Awesome What-if? Storylines
-Good Graphics for a 2D GBA Fighter

DS
-More Characters
-Wireless Fighting
-Wi-Fi Capability
-Branching what-if? Storyline

The Bad:

GBA
-Needed more diverse cast
-What-if? Storylines needed to branch out
-Had to have a link cable to play an opponent (unless you had the GB wireless link)

DS
-New Designer
-Shitty Controls
-Bad What-if? Storylines
-Graphics could've been better; after seeing games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing
-Mania Mode

The Ugly:

DS
-The mention of being sent to 'Another Dimension'.
-Bad dialogue and numerous spelling mistakes
-The horrible What-if? Storylines...

That's why I hate SSW2, and prefer SSW; which is clearly the better game in my opinion.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:46 am

The worst move made here was the switch from Banpresto to Arc System Works...
Both games were developed by Arc System Works...
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Ash wrote:
The worst move made here was the switch from Banpresto to Arc System Works...
Both games were developed by Arc System Works...
:oops: I feel like an idiot...Thanks for pointing that out, Ash. :oops:

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Alright, here goes...
Allright, thanks for your good and bad things abouth supersonic warriors 1 and 2.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Honestly, I believe Supersonic Warriors 2 is a lot better for competitive play. This is due mostly to the increased level of variety in how the characters play, but the defensive aspect of the game has been fine tuned by adding a block button, the new barrier maneuver, and beam battles that work more like special counters (since you don't actually have to fire off two beams, you just have to execute an X+A special when your opponent is starting to execute one).

The music was pretty cool, and at least they tried something different. I think I probably would have preferred updated versions of the Supersonic Warriors songs, or at least songs in the same style (in other words, sounds like the TV show but is something fairly unique).

Also, I enjoyed the What-If mode and Maniac mode more than the single-player offerings of Supersonic Warrirors, but only gameplay wise. The story isn't significantly more horrible, since it is after all just the Dragonball story being rehashed. The problem lies in the severe amount of grammar and spelling issues that litter their dialogue.

There's also the much larger selection of characters, something the first game desperately needed. But more importantly, there's the addition of assists, which add even more depth to your attacks. For example, even though it's not explicitly an assist, the addition of Recoome actually shooting off a beam instead of Ginyu when you execute an X+A attack allows you to still move as Ginyu and combo into your opponent while Recoome holds them still with his attack.

Another point of interest is the addition of team attacks, which look as cool as they can considering the dated sprites and oversized explosion effects. But more importantly, they're fun to use and effective against your opponents. Then there's the Ultimate KO attack, a one-time only desperation move that really lends itself well to Dragonball Z's constant "struggle for power" atmosphere.

The biggest mistake in my eyes is the lack of Dragon Power settings for multiplayer. As it stands, you have to verbally agree on a "power ceiling" for your matches, or just have an anything goes match which usually translates to who's Gotenks and Bardock combo is better. If they would have put in a simple mechanism to limit both player's choices to the ceilings they encountered earlier in the game before they unlocked everything, it would have made the matches feel more "official" at the very least.

All that said, the simplicity of the first game should be appreciated, since they made a supremely awesome Dragonball fighter with a minimalist control scheme that was easy to pick up and seemed to give you full control of your character.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Eh, is anyone else slightly annoyed about the lack of data deletion options in SSW2? I bought it used, so it was almost completed for me. Eh... I need to sell it on eBay or something. It's up there with Nintendogs with games I regret buying.

It was fun for around 3 weeks though.

I'd like to see a LOG type of game, but with AC:WW quality graphics. Maybe kinda like BT, but without the destructible enviroments, and not so much free-flight, if any at all.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:Eh, is anyone else slightly annoyed about the lack of data deletion options in SSW2?
No...because my near-100% completed game erased itself. :cry: