Death Battle! Goku VS Superman Disscussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Death Battle! Goku VS Superman Disscussion Thread

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm

This is a topic for discussing the upcoming Death Battle, Goku VS Superman. http://www.screwattack.com/user/death-battle/videos This is for people who don't know what the series is about. So let's discuss what the outcome of this Death Battle will be!

dario03
Advanced Regular

Re: Death Battle! Goku VS Superman Disscussion Thread

Post by dario03 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 am

As with every Goku vs Superman discussion this will come down to which version of Superman and Goku we are talking about (Superman more so since Goku just gets stronger as the story goes and doesn't have rewrites and reboots). At first I was thinking these guys would probably use more recent animated versions of Superman which are generally weak (though there has been exceptions) but after watching a few videos it looks like they do their homework so I would expect Superman to win because some of his showings in comics are just absurd.

Edit: I just watched the Vegeta vs Shadow the Hedgehog video and a couple of things there. 1. I'm guessing Goku will get SS4 since they mention it. 2. Vegeta pushes the moon with a punch which seems a little far fetched since I don't recall them ever showing physical strength any where near that. 3. Seems like they made a mistake because they said SS1 and SS2 increases power 500% each when I'm pretty sure it should be a 4900% increase for SS1 and then another 100% for SS2. 4. based on watching some other videos I think I'll just say this could be a toss up since they seem to average out some things and leave out some things (like saying Akuma has low stamina when really he just holds him self back to keep fights interesting).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:17 am

Death Battle is based off of feats and most DBZ debates are just based off of power scaling from other characters. I noticed that in Death Battle is that they sometimes combine powers and abilities from different incarnations of different characters. An example is Eggman vs. Dr. wily when Eggman had robot minons from Sonic Satam. It won't surprise me if they use feats from All Star Superman and from the Silver Age for Superman.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 am

If they do Goku is pretty much screwed. I just hope they don't do something crazy like Goku teleports them near a red star or randomly finds some krypotonite or uses the dragonballs. They probably won't but you never know.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 am

I fear for this video's comments section. :shock:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 am

*coughs*

*twiddles thumbs*

*smirks*

*awaits awesomeness*

And this is my very helpful post. For now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:*coughs*

*twiddles thumbs*

*smirks*

*awaits awesomeness*

Quoting for truthness. I totally and fully endorse this post.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:48 am

VegettoEX wrote:*coughs*

*twiddles thumbs*

*smirks*

*awaits awesomeness*

Shhhh!

Coincidentally, here's an essay on the subject I wrote up years ago that I was looking for a week ago. http://desirecampbell.com/gvs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Goku's image was posted last on the Death Battle facebook page and the image uploaded last ends up being the loser. If Superman does win then I can't wait for all of the butt hurt comments on facebook. Like for example "HOW YOU GUYS MAKE SUPERMAN WIN! GOKU CAN BLOW UP GALAXIES WITH ONE KI BLAST!!! SHAME YOU ON!!" :P :lol: .
She/Her

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 pm

dario03 wrote:If they do Goku is pretty much screwed. I just hope they don't do something crazy like Goku teleports them near a red star.
Wouldn't help much anyway. Superman doesn't lose power from red sunlight. It just doesn't give him any extra. The only story I can remember that actually featured him being specifically sapped by red sunlight is Superman: Red Son and, depending on how you interpret what's actually going on in the scene, Superman II.

Honestly this is one of those vs. battles that's better in theory than in practice. There's nothing Goku has done at his best that Superman hasn't done at his weakest.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:09 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:
dario03 wrote:If they do Goku is pretty much screwed. I just hope they don't do something crazy like Goku teleports them near a red star.
Wouldn't help much anyway. Superman doesn't lose power from red sunlight. It just doesn't give him any extra. The only story I can remember that actually featured him being specifically sapped by red sunlight is Superman: Red Son and, depending on how you interpret what's actually going on in the scene, Superman II.
Ah, but Gokuu just has to prolong the fight a little. While Gokuu tends to be a bit more straight-forward and head on, it'd certainly make for a more interesting fight. With no yellow sun to give him a "walking increases HP" effect, Superman would probably lose his stamina at the same rate as Gokuu, maybe even more so when you consider Gokuu has had training to maximize the use of his ki and body and Superman might not be used to conserving his gas.

Oh God, I want to finish my Gokuu v. Superman fanfic. One of these days, I suppose...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm

If they're "in character" then the fight becomes interesting on the grounds that Superman is incredibly concerned about the damage he can cause. Despite DC being home to just as many contrivances as Dragon Ball, they treat death and destruction with a real world seriousness. There's no "just wish everybody back" sensibility in DC so Superman has a rather deep fear of his own power. Superman is also much more introspective. Goku is...well...not. This also means that Superman has incredible self-control. He can perform brain surgery with his friggin' eyes. Meanwhile Goku slaps Chi-Chi through walls.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm

I guess the death battle will have both Goku and Superman destroying the Earth then Goku ends up not breathing in space which will cause Superman to throw Goku into the sun. Or it could end in a tie :P ! I hope they don't use the Dragon Ball wiki to look up info. I saw people on facebook telling them to look up DB info on that wiki.
She/Her

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope they don't use the Dragon Ball wiki to look up info.
You don't have to worry about that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:
Wouldn't help much anyway. Superman doesn't lose power from red sunlight.
I'm fairly sure he does. Apart from the examples you gave, and some extra examples in certain animated versions (Superman TAS, Superman: Doomsday), there's also the fact that Superboy was weakened by the red star radiation in a Sun-Eater, and the fact that Superman (Kal-El) and Superman (Kal-L) weakened Superboy Prime (and themselves) by flying through a red star. More recently than that, Lex Luthor had a gun in the Last Son story arc that shot "miniature red suns", and explained that, "as you know, [they] can weaken and burn a superman."
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope they don't use the Dragon Ball wiki to look up info.
You don't have to worry about that.
My interest in this just shot up.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Supermans weaknesses change as much as his strengths (just look at how much kryptonite effects vary) . Yes sometimes it doesn't weaken him but I'm positive he has been weakened by Red Sun radiation in most of the recent animated shows sometimes its a very fast weakening sometimes slow. In Superman Doomsday Luthor weakens him with it very quickly (kryptonite was there to but I believe that came later) and in JLU captain Atom weakens him with it (though Superman was holding back even more than usual because Atom is a league member). The bigger problem with Goku teleporting them to a red star though would be he would need to know that weakness and also know where where a red star was and be able to sense some ki near it (unless he just happens to teleport them away to protect the Earth but hes never done that before except when Cell was going to explode).

So VegettoEX are those posts of yours secret code for saying that you gave them some info :) That would be good, I would hope you could get them to portray the strength part right since any time I've seen that fight discussed on other forums or video comments or whatever people seem to think that Goku could toss planets around with physical strength.
Last edited by dario03 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

I can't wait for Mike's usual "Now, I don't care about battle powers or whatever..." opening disclaimer.

I say wid wub.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Bussani wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:
Wouldn't help much anyway. Superman doesn't lose power from red sunlight.
I'm fairly sure he does. Apart from the examples you gave, and some extra examples in certain animated versions (Superman TAS, Superman: Doomsday), there's also the fact that Superboy was weakened by the red star radiation in a Sun-Eater, and the fact that Superman (Kal-El) and Superman (Kal-L) weakened Superboy Prime (and themselves) by flying through a red star. More recently than that, Lex Luthor had a gun in the Last Son story arc that shot "miniature red suns", and explained that, "as you know, [they] can weaken and burn a superman."
I know it varies. It might have been an Infinite Crisis change, actually. He's often referred to as a solar battery which would be strange terminology if he didn't retain the charge. Although in the case of Superboy Prime, they didn't just go through a sun. They were also completely surrounded by kryptonite. I think it's actually an example of just how powerful Superman is considering he was still able to fight under the circumstances.
dario03 wrote:The bigger problem with Goku teleporting them to a red star though would be he would need to know that weakness and also know where where a red star was and be able to sense some ki near it (unless he just happens to teleport them away to protect the Earth but hes never done that before except when Cell was going to explode).
Goku has an even bigger problem with that plan. Take Superman somewhere where he doesn't have to worry about sentient life and you make it that much easier for him. Not to mention he can move at just under light speed and survive in space. Just because Goku takes him somewhere, why would Superman have to stay there? Honestly, staying on Earth is the smartest thing Goku could do. Not because I think he'd be able to overpower Superman but because Superman is more likely to simply back down if continuing the fight poses too great a risk.

Also, let's not ignore his heat vision. Lots of times people see it as a secondary power that's nothing but tiny laser beams but consider this: Superman has warmed up the entire planet with it, like engulfing the whole thing. Compare that to the Kamehameha that killed Cell. And I believe Superman can generate at least as much heat as the sun itself.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Thats true less people does make him more likely to go all out but I assumed a death battle would have both fighters blood lusted and going all out. And Pre Crisis Superman is actually faster than light, Guy would cross whole universes like it was nothing. I'm sure a bunch of people here have seen that time that he traveled so fast he crossed multiple universes and he almost destroyed the multiverse and had to be stopped by the Spectre. And his heat vision is hotter than the sun, in the comics some scientists tried to measure it but couldn't even though they could measure the suns heat. I heard he destroyed some wierd cannibal planet with heat vision but I've only seen the scan where he engulfs it but no clue how big it was or what happened afterwards.