Death Battle! Goku VS Superman Disscussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Death Battle! Goku VS Superman Disscussion Thread

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 am

Hmm... I could have sworn it was in the manga as Piccolo's attack is "Light of Death". Eh, I'll check it tomorrow morning. But, if Piccolo's attack is the speed of light, then Raditz should be able to see and dodge at that speed. So, early on, the characters are at super human levels close to Superman. Heck, I'm sure Raditz could give Supes a good fight.

Also, by the time the Buu saga arrives, Gotenks flies all over the world multiple times (however, I am unsure if that was just filler, but in Death Battle, I guess it counts either way). So if Gotenks can do that, Goku especially can.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 am

He does call it light of death in the translated version but he doesn't say that it is light speed.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 am

I just saw that mini-preview about the battle that shows Superman fighting Goku and i have to ask something.WHO is fighting with Superman???I don't know that guy.Is he tfs Goku?Cause he looks like him and talks like him.And is an idiot.

Ok death battle gave us good battles till now but in this one they seriously didn't do good research.
The question isn't if Goku can handle 100nukes or 101.It's to have a battle between Superman and Goku.
1)Goku attacks Superman just cause he is strong.When was the last time Goku attacked an innocent person for no reason?ohhh right!!!Never.(I know its for the battle to begin but they could say "lets see who is the strongers")
2)Power pole.I get that Superman is weak against Magical weapons and power pole is magical but the last time we saw nyobo was when he went to Kami's look out.And lets face it in official battles Goku doesn't use weapons.
3)Superman said that Goku should watch his "blind spot".How can someone that can sense ki-has good eyes and is extremely fast have a blind spot?Krillin doesn't have blinds spots cause Ki isn't restricted to a eye-area.
4)Goku using senzu beans.(hardcore fans will understand what i mean)Vegeta in Cell saga said clearly that Goku's saiyan pride doesn't let him use outside help.Hell if he could do that then he could just continue to eat senzus till he beat Cell but NO Goku gave a senzu to Cell just to make the battle fair.(cause thats how Goku fights)
5)And most important.Death battle rules say that you can use no outside help like :cough cough:(emeralds) or senzu.Ok i get it they did it in order to stop dbz fans from saying that Superman cheats cause he is using the sun.
This guy isn't Goku or at least he is Vegeta in a Goku costume.
Seriously is like screwattack hates dbz thats why the dbz fighters keep getting the shaft from them.First Vegeta and now Goku

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am

destro4thewin wrote:I just saw that mini-preview about the battle that shows Superman fighting Goku and i have to ask something.WHO is fighting with Superman???I don't know that guy.Is he tfs Goku?Cause he looks like him and talks like him.And is an idiot.
He's the Son Goku that Kanzenshuu knows through and through. I absolutely recognize him as the character I've fallen in love with and enjoyed for nearly twenty years.

Are you a fan primarily/exclusively of FUNimation's English dub, and specifically not of its Kai interpretation? If so, yeah, you're in for a rude awakening of who Goku is. I don't know how else to say it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

I have to agree with the senzu. Why did Goku eat a senzu? Why would he even accept it?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:
destro4thewin wrote:I just saw that mini-preview about the battle that shows Superman fighting Goku and i have to ask something.WHO is fighting with Superman???I don't know that guy.Is he tfs Goku?Cause he looks like him and talks like him.And is an idiot.
He's the Son Goku that Kanzenshuu knows through and through. I absolutely recognize him as the character I've fallen in love with and enjoyed for nearly twenty years.

Are you a fan primarily/exclusively of FUNimation's English dub, and specifically not of its Kai interpretation? If so, yeah, you're in for a rude awakening of who Goku is. I don't know how else to say it.
I never cared about the dubs (unless you mean watch some clips online on youtube) i have only watched the original series, that was the one that they use to show in my country.The only dubs i have is the cropped 1 season from funimation and the reason is that i wanted cause it was cheap and had the original voices-music-soundtracks.

This "Goku" seems out of character.
1)We know that Goku always wants to test his strength but he never attacks someone at random.(If that ever happened then earth would be blown like 100 times cause of the Goku vs Vegeta battles)(And i also count the dbonline story which says that Goku and Vegeta went far away to see who is the strongest).
2)The need of weapons.Why?He stopped using them as a kid+abandoning his weapon means that he want to have hand to hand battles and not depending on weapons to win.
3)The senzu.I prefer an accurate battle from a long battle.Using senzu in a battle is against Goku's pride as a saiyan.

This may look like nitpicking but if you remove Goku's personality then you can't have Goku.
The only "Goku-like" thing he did was that he destroyed the kryptonite.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am

destro4thewin wrote:1)We know that Goku always wants to test his strength but he never attacks someone at random.(If that ever happened then earth would be blown like 100 times cause of the Goku vs Vegeta battles)(And i also count the dbonline story which says that Goku and Vegeta went far away to see who is the strongest).
It's not supposed to show us an epic story, but an epic battle. Having a whole conversation between Goku & Superman would be a waste of time.
2)The need of weapons.Why?He stopped using them as a kid+abandoning his weapon means that he want to have hand to hand battles and not depending on weapons to win.
I guess they added it to him so that Goku can use all of his skills and abilities.

Also, you can ask Ben if you want.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
destro4thewin wrote:1)We know that Goku always wants to test his strength but he never attacks someone at random.(If that ever happened then earth would be blown like 100 times cause of the Goku vs Vegeta battles)(And i also count the dbonline story which says that Goku and Vegeta went far away to see who is the strongest).
It's not supposed to show us an epic story, but an epic battle. Having a whole conversation between Goku & Superman would be a waste of time.

Indeed you are 100% right but till now almost all the death battles started like this:
"1 character walks and does something"
"2 characters walks and also does something"
"fight"

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:45 am

Goku definitely isn't above seeing someone strong and just jumping into a fight. Think back to him first meeting Yamcha. And pretty much anyone else from there on out. Plenty of situations kept him from fighting a villain first later on, but he would randomly come across strong dudes and ask them to fight for no real reason.

Using the senzu was a plot point in the video pretty much solely to show that Goku has some extent of telepathic/kinetic powers. Same with Nyoibō -- it was used to show a magical item can be effective in some way against Superman.

Those are all out-of-universe explanations, but they still work. Would he use a senzu for himself during a fight? Provided it puts him and his opponent on equal ground, I don't see why not.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am

Goku challenging Superman isn't remotely out of character. It's the preemptive attack mid-sentence and arguably picking a fight in the middle of a presumably crowded city that might be. But given that they need some excuse to get the two to fight it's necessary for somebody to take the first swing. And who's more likely to do it? Goku or Superman?

Also, the fight sequence is just a dramatization of their research. It just represents how a fight might play out, not necessarily how it would play out. Goku picking a fight seemingly at random (let alone being in Metropolis at all) is just a way to get the match going. Earlier Death Battles didn't even bother with the pretense. They just had the two competitors square off.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Goku definitely isn't above seeing someone strong and just jumping into a fight. Think back to him first meeting Yamcha. And pretty much anyone else from there on out. Plenty of situations kept him from fighting a villain first later on, but he would randomly come across strong dudes and ask them to fight for no real reason.

Using the senzu was a plot point in the video pretty much solely to show that Goku has some extent of telepathic/kinetic powers. Same with Nyoibō -- it was used to show a magical item can be effective in some way against Superman.

Those are all out-of-universe explanations, but they still work. Would he use a senzu for himself during a fight? Provided it puts him and his opponent on equal ground, I don't see why not.
I think that "liking the challenge" and "randomly assaulting someone" are both different things and seriously we are talking about Superman.Goku keeps attacking him and he is like "please i don't want to fight you".I never thought that Goku would attack some even if he was as strong as he is and also if he was a complete stranger.If thats the point then Goku would instantly attack Future Trunks after he killed Frieza cause lets face it, by that point Goku and F.Trunks were the strongest known characters.

About the kinetic powers.Every dbz fans know that db-fighters can use kinetic powers and especially Goku.If i want to be 100% i can count Goku's ability to read minds.Or a filler scene that Goku isn't completly healed after the fight with Vegeta and he is training his kinetic powers.

But about the senzu is a complete different story.Goku fights stronger people to protect the earth or compare his power.All his training is to become more powerful in order to protect or to compete with others cause lets face it before he met Bulma and start his adventure Goku was just a strong kid that had learned some martial arts, he didn't care for improving himself.After he went to master Roshi and understood that the world has many strong people he start training like crazy.The budokai's are the best examples.He trained to surpass Chakie Chun and then Tien Shin han

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Some spaces after your sentences would be really helpful :).

You're mentioning "everyone knows" with regard to DBZ fans, but keep in mind: this video isn't just for DBZ fans. Me? I know next to nothing about Superman. I need to be told what his traits are and how they might be used in battle, along with showcases of them being put to use.

And yeah, SOME suspension of disbelief is necessary, 'cuz otherwise Goku and Superman would just have a huge meal and laugh together. That wouldn't be a "DEATH BATTLE!", it would be "DINNER!"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And yeah, SOME suspension of disbelief is necessary, 'cuz otherwise Goku and Superman would just have a huge meal and laugh together. That wouldn't be a "DEATH BATTLE!", it would be "DINNER!"
That's pretty unrealistic, too. There's no way Superman could afford to buy dinner for Goku on a reporter's salary.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote: but he would randomly come across strong dudes and ask them to fight for no real reason.
Which seems to basically be the plot of the new movie. Though he asks nicely first.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Some spaces after your sentences would be really helpful :).
Sorry!!! :shock:
VegettoEX wrote:You're mentioning "everyone knows" with regard to DBZ fans, but keep in mind: this video isn't just for DBZ fans. Me? I know next to nothing about Superman.
I just hope this video will encourage new fans to see and care for the series and not just make someone or his show look better than the other.
Most of the death battle videos get too much interest but not the right one.
People don't talk about the characters they just get angry about the outcome.
(Many people got angry with the Pikachu vs Blanka episode.)
Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: but he would randomly come across strong dudes and ask them to fight for no real reason.
Which seems to basically be the plot of the new movie. Though he asks nicely first.
So right hahaha!!! :lol:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Whoops, my bad; the manga does not say that. However, the manga, at least in Viz's translation, is that Raditz dodges roughly around that speed. Piccolo says, and I'm remembering the quote from the top of my head, "He side stepped it... no one can dodge so quickly!" implying that Raditz does move as fast as light; Piccolo's attack is the LIGHT OF FREAKIN' DEATH. So yeah, I'm sure by the end of the manga they travel way faster than light when fighting. I also would say they go that fast because when they fight they exit the visible range of the human eye. Remember the Budokai's and the fight with Yamcha/Saibaiman.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Piccolo's attack is the LIGHT OF FREAKIN' DEATH.
Because every name needs to be taken literally? So, I suppose the Kamehameha shoots a wave of turtles that explode on contact, or perhaps the Hawaiian king comes flying out every time it's fired?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Why would be at the speed of light just because it has light in its name?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 pm

http://www.mangatoyou.org/Dragon_Ball/51/10/
Keep viewing from there. As you can see Master Roshi manages to reach the moon within a matter of seconds. Ki gets much much faster as the series goes on and charaters manage to dodge these much faster attacks with minimal effort. I would say these guys are FTL.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Piccolo's attack is the LIGHT OF FREAKIN' DEATH.
Because every name needs to be taken literally? So, I suppose the Kamehameha shoots a wave of turtles that explode on contact, or perhaps the Hawaiian king comes flying out every time it's fired?
Or Kuririn's Ki Disk Cutter be a Ki disc that cu----Oh, wait.... Or the Makankosappo be an evil piercing drill li....Oh. :P
Joke aside, nobody expects the Garlic Cannon to shoot garlic, but there's no going around having both names for the sake of naming an attack with a pun or just...what it is.

Also, given the subjects being discussed right now, can I assume that it hasn't come out yet? :S
Last edited by Rukura on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0