Viz dragonball manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Is there a definitive list of all the things that Viz has edited out?

I have no intention of purchasing the Japanese mangas, therefore unless someone points out to me what exactly has been edited (besides silly things like Hercule ), I'd never know.
Well, as I mentioned before, you could just check the logo at the bottom of the spine for the cat viz logo. If it's the viz media in a white box logo, then those are the re-releases. That way, you don't have to worry about the edits that silly Viz has done.

For the volumes that were released after Viz made the re-releases, there shouldn't be that many changes, since DB (no Z) has more of the visual nudity stuff that Viz has now grown to fear. With the new DBZ stuff, the only big edits you have to worry about is stuff like Hercule...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Don't forget guns. They changed the guns those people-hunters used into laser guns.

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:35 am

Question about the reissues...

Did they go back and take out all of the swearing from the first 12 or so mangas? I seem to remember a remarkable amount early on, while it's noticeably absent as of late.

And what's going on with the Dr. Slump Censoring? In volume 5, they seemingly left in an entire chapter where Kinoko goes "bad" and tries to smoke; she goes to a tabacco store and everything. I was wondering, however, how much of that scene was changed, because I recall similar instances of children smoking and drinking being edited or danced around by the writers in previous volumes. Even though it was left in, the chapter still gave off the vibe of a public health warning, and I'm pretty sure they changed quite a bit just so they avoid any problems.

Plus, they still have that "Some art has been modified, including underage smoking scenes, from the original Japanese edition." Warning in the front.

Speaking of the gun censor, they added a similar warning in the front of volume 24 (40) Of DBZ, reading "Some violent scenes have been modified from the original Japanese edition."
So zetta slow

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:50 am

ShadowAssailantX wrote: And what's going on with the Dr. Slump Censoring? In volume 5, they seemingly left in an entire chapter where Kinoko goes "bad" and tries to smoke; she goes to a tabacco store and everything. I was wondering, however, how much of that scene was changed, because I recall similar instances of children smoking and drinking being edited or danced around by the writers in previous volumes. Even though it was left in, the chapter still gave off the vibe of a public health warning, and I'm pretty sure they changed quite a bit just so they avoid any problems.
I never saw the original of it, but it looked like it was untouched. With the others, it seems Taro smokes, they just don't show him lighting up. And I don't know if it's because it's a period piece or if it's because of it having a higher rating, but they still show Yahiko drinking.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:07 am

Dragonball, Volume 1 - What can be noted here is that Bulma is given a "Valley Girl" manner of speech which quickly fades as the volume proceeds. Her speech is normal from there on out.

Dragonball, Volume 4 - At the end of a Chapter, when it appears Goku may lose to Giran, a panel has the cheesy addition text "Is this the end of Goku?! Then how do you explain Dragonball Z??!".

Dragonball, Volume 5 - The character "Sgt. Metallic" has his name changed to "Full Metal Jacket" and the monster called "Buyo" or "Buyon" is changed to "The Jiggler".

Dragonball, Volume 6 - Goku's nick name for #8 is changed from "Ha-Chan" (Little Eight) to "8-Man".

Dragonball, Volume 14 - Mr. Popo's lips are colored in black to match his face, to reduce his resemblence to "Sanbo" which is a long story. Basically, it's to avoid offending African-Americans. This change is retained for every appearance of Mr. Popo for the rest of the series.

tankobon #18 / Dragonball Z, Volume 2 - Piccolo's threat to Gohan "I'll bash in your skull!" is changed to "I'll slit your throat!".

tankobon #31 / Dragonball Z, Volume 15 - "Hell Flash" is changed to "Inferno Blast". Also, a title page in which various members of the Dragon Team flipping Cell off is altered to them "Clenching their fists angrily". At this point in the series, cussing seems to stop entirely, whereas "Bastard" "Ass" "Damn" and "Hell" were all used frequently before.

tankobon #33 / Dragonball Z, Volume 17 - "Mister Satan" is changed to "Her-cule". This stays the same for the rest of the series.

tankobon #35 / Dragonball Z, Volume 19 - #17's gun is removed from the 2nd to last chapter, which he uses to shoot a man in the face. The alteration gives the impression that #17 opted to crush the guys skull instead.

tankobon #37 / Dragonball Z, Volume 21 - "Majin Boo" is changed to "Boo the Djinn". This change is retained for the rest of the series.

tankobon #40 / Dragonball Z, Volume 24 - The guns used by the Random Criminals to shoot the old couple, Boo's dog, and Mister Satan are all changed to look like "Laser Blasters". Also, Goku's offer to Rou Kaioshin to feel up Bulma is changed to meeting her.

"Chi" vs. "Ki" - Viz opts to use the term "Chi" as opposed to "Ki". But in all honesty, "Ki" is a more accurate term and "Chi" isn't exactly the same thing...technicially.

The last two volumes - Dragonball Z Volumes 25 and 26 have not yet been released, so any and all changes that may occur are not yet known. However, based on the content, one can guess that the only changes will be the ones that carry from volume to volume.

Dragonball Re-issues - In the latest re-issues of Dragonball, all instances of Bulma being full frontal naked from the waste up is altered to have a bra. And no, the cussing isn't removed from the re-issues.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:06 pm

Duo wrote: "Chi" vs. "Ki" - Viz opts to use the term "Chi" as opposed to "Ki". But in all honesty, "Ki" is a more accurate term and "Chi" isn't exactly the same thing...technicially.
How? Ki is just the Japanese word for "Qi" the East Asian concept of life force energy/
Where's the beef?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Duo wrote:tankobon #18 / Dragonball Z, Volume 2 - Piccolo's threat to Gohan "I'll bash in your skull!" is changed to "I'll slit your throat!".
Wow, that's much less violent. :shock:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:09 pm

I don't see why Viz can't just move DB and DBZ's manga "age recommendation" on the back of the manga covers from A (all ages) to T (teen) or T+ :roll: . Mothers should already know that it's a pretty violent thing for their kiddies to watch.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:58 pm

I'd like to point out a few more edits.

Dragon Ball, Volume 2: The black henchman of the Rabbit Mob has his lips whited out to make it seem like his mouth is always open.

Dragon Ball, Volume 3: A black challenger in the Tenkaichi Budokai has his white lips colored in a light shade of gray to match his skin. This edit goes on for several pages until he's beaten by Goku in the peliminaries and is no longer seen.

Dragon Ball, Volume 4: Giran's Guru Guru Gum is renamed "Lassooin Gum." Giran makes some sort of odd reference after trapping Goku. He mentions that it'd be like "punching Punch (you know, that puppet guy)." Originally he just claims there's no escape for Goku. (Anyone wanna clear up what the hell English Giran meant? o_O I never understood that "This'll be like punching Punch" line.)

Dragon Ball, Volume 9: In the reprinted version of this tankoubon, Bulma has been given a bra after Kuririn pulls down her top. He originally exposed her breasts. The Invisible Man's lips have also been edited out due to the lack of color in the comic, making it hard to tell for some not aware that he's not supposed to appear like the stereotypical "black face."

Dragon Ball Z, Volume 1: Piccolo's Makankosappo is changed to "Light of Death."

Dragon Ball Z, Volume 2: Gohan has been castrated after transforming back from an Oozaru. The funny thing about this is that this was not edited back when it was in the comic book format and was changed when it was printed in the graphic novel format.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:59 pm

Tsukento wrote:Dragon Ball, Volume 4: Giran's Guru Guru Gum is renamed "Lassooin Gum." Giran makes some sort of odd reference after trapping Goku. He mentions that it'd be like "punching Punch (you know, that puppet guy)." Originally he just claims there's no escape for Goku. (Anyone wanna clear up what the hell English Giran meant? o_O I never understood that "This'll be like punching Punch" line.)
The Punch puppet is the aggressive puppet from Punch and Judy. Punch kills Judy and gets away scot-free. Giran probably means that it'll be sweet revenge killing Goku, who never sees any (real) harm come to him.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:55 pm

Duo wrote:The last two volumes - Dragonball Z Volumes 25 and 26 have not yet been released, so any and all changes that may occur are not yet known. However, based on the content, one can guess that the only changes will be the ones that carry from volume to volume.
Goku offers Rou Kaioushin a nude picture of Bulma in vol. 42, which Viz will probably change to something more kid friendly.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 pm

Interesting as it is... you guys'll just wear yourselves down trying to list 'em all.

I've got into multiple 'intellectual debates' due to Viz's 'translation' edits. The most annoying one was involving Frieza's powerlevel...

It's a relatively good dub, but for manga it's nothing special. I've actually seen better dubbed mangas for the DB series.
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:29 pm

Nekoni wrote:Interesting as it is... you guys'll just wear yourselves down trying to list 'em all.

I've got into multiple 'intellectual debates' due to Viz's 'translation' edits. The most annoying one was involving Freeza's powerlevel...

It's a relatively good dub, but for manga it's nothing special. I've actually seen better dubbed mangas for the DB series.
Explain that last part about Freeza, please.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:40 pm

I -think- it's Viz's dub, (at-least, that's what I could get from who I was talking to) that has Frieza's powerlevel at 1,000,000 for his third form. The dub I have says 'over 100,000'.

I can't say which is the same as the japanese, if either. But I do know that the 100,000 makes a lot more sense in the timeline. (I believe its' the last numbered powerlevel?)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:50 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Dragon Ball Z, Volume 1: Piccolo's Makankosappo is changed to "Light of Death."
That's not an edit. It's just a translation. And I think the same is for the Inferno Blast. Kind of like how they didn't give Instantaneous Movement a fancy name and just called it teleporting which it was essentially.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Problem with "Inferno Blast" is that it's NOT a translation. Hell Flash was said in English.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:38 pm

B-kun wrote:Problem with "Inferno Blast" is that it's NOT a translation. Hell Flash was said in English.
Oh, I didn't know that (Haven't seen the Japanese, not that I could read Japanese anyway). I still hink it may have just been a rewording, kind of like often in fictional works they often use the words "Sabre" of "Katana" interchangebly with any types of swords that are definately not sabres or katana.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:43 pm

Nekoni wrote:I -think- it's Viz's dub, (at-least, that's what I could get from who I was talking to) that has Freeza's powerlevel at 1,000,000 for his third form. The dub I have says 'over 100,000'.

I can't say which is the same as the japanese, if either. But I do know that the 100,000 makes a lot more sense in the timeline. (I believe its' the last numbered powerlevel?)
In the Viz version it says "Over one Million" which is correct, as it lines up with all other versions. Viz doesn't get numbers wrong, luckily.

Why would "100,000" make sense? Freeza had already stated his first form PL to be 530,000. "Over 100,000" wouldn't scare the Vegeta who shattered a scouter from his power, which Goku did not with a Power Level of 180,000.

Or I'm completely mis-interpreting what you said. Hopefully not.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Duo wrote:
tankobon #18 / Dragonball Z, Volume 2 - Piccolo's threat to Gohan "I'll bash in your skull!" is changed to "I'll slit your throat!".
Is it just me, or saying you're going to slit someone's throat sounds more evil than bashing someone's skull in. (Has often heard bashing one's head in in a non-serious way). And interesting in the anime he says he'll snap Gohan's neck.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:06 am

Ohkay...

Maybe it was a different part of the manga then? *blinks*

Scouters started exploding at 23,000

Perhaps I forgot how small a million was ^^;

The problem with the discuission was that we can't even compare book numbers, letalone page numbers. *shrug* thanks for the info.

That's kinda' plot-holing to me. Vegeta couldn't beat Ginyu (who was scared by Goku's 180,000) yet could beat Frieza at 530,000? Yeesh