Screenshot of KRILLIN w/ a Nose

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:52 pm

It's called "Toriyamus Forgetus." A problem that tends to rise up once in a while when Toriyama was drawing the manga. :P As mentioned, Goku points out Kuririn doesn't have a nose, then later he snorts boogers, only to then be told much later by Bulma that he doesn't have a nose.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:42 pm

Is it actually specifically stated outside of humor that Kuririn doesn't have a nose? I mean I've always accepted it, but after reading this thread it makes me think that Kuririn is naturally presumed to have a nose, but simply because of the way he is drawn, has become the subject of a running joke. That might explain why he does things that points to him having one.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:51 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I just had a giant spur of insight! Doesn't Krillin remind you of those Bratz dolls? They don't have noses either!(Well, not in the animated commercials!)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Big Momma wrote:OH MY GOODNESS! I just had a giant spur of insight! Doesn't Krillin remind you of those Bratz dolls? They don't have noses either!(Well, not in the animated commercials!)
I can't believe that you've made me search on Google for "Bratz". It looked kinda weird as my mum walked in. :oops:

Anyway... No. I'm quite confident that the Bratz dolls have visible noses when looking at them head- on (as opposed to Krillin). Wait a minute- Let me go and check (my sister has like a few hundred).

Yes, they have noses. Ha!
Last edited by Steven Perry on Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
Big Momma wrote:OH MY GOODNESS! I just had a giant spur of insight! Doesn't Krillin remind you of those Bratz dolls? They don't have noses either!(Well, not in the animated commercials!)
I can't believe that you've made me search on Google for "Bratz". It looked kinda weird as my mum walked in. :oops:

Anyway... No. I'm quite confident that the Bratz dolls have visible noses when looking at them head- on (as opposed to Krillin). Wait a minute- Let me go and check (my sister has like a few hundred).
Sure... you "sister". :lol:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:31 pm

It's okay man, I have some too.....okay, I don't...but don't be ashamed, say it loud, say it proud! I mean that Krillin does have a stubby nose, right? The Bratz have those too.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Actually, I remeber a specific scene during the Freeza arc where Gohan and Krillin are talking after the Spirit Bomb, (in the anime at least.) There was clearly a side-shot of Krillins head during the conversation, and he had no stubby nose. It was a curved line to his mouth.

:? I wonder if it is just coincedence.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:22 pm

He doesn't have a nose, it's mentioned at least twice. He does some things that would imply a nose but it's really not just one of those "invisible" noses. If he did, it probably would have showed up as he got older like for marron. Actually I don't know for sure but he doesn't have one you can see from the side. It's like, flat....
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 pm

For that matter, it was a key part in his victory against Bacterian. He didn't have a nose and therefore couldn't smell his attacks, at least, after Son Goku reminded him about that.

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Maybe a bee stung him.
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:11 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:For that matter, it was a key part in his victory against Bacterian. He didn't have a nose and therefore couldn't smell his attacks, at least, after Son Goku reminded him about that.
Despite all the crazy stuff in DragonBall, I think the simplest explanation is the most likely: Krillin has a really small nose. Not that he 'has no nose' it's just small. If my best friend had a small nose I'd make fun of him by telling him he had "no nose", the whole "no nose" thing could just be some inside joke.

Of course, with it being so small, it could function less effectively than a regular nose. Which would explain why he beat Bacterian.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Krillin's got an almost useless stub-nose.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:12 pm

MyVisionity wrote:Is it actually specifically stated outside of humor that Kuririn doesn't have a nose? I mean I've always accepted it, but after reading this thread it makes me think that Kuririn is naturally presumed to have a nose, but simply because of the way he is drawn, has become the subject of a running joke. That might explain why he does things that points to him having one.
Yeah, I also think that Toriyama started a joke that turned out too irrational when the series took a more serious tone.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri May 05, 2006 1:20 am

If Krillin didnt have a nose does he breathe through his mouth? I think not because many times I have seen him with his mouth closed, does this mean he's holding his breath? :shock:

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri May 05, 2006 1:35 am

I think the best answer here is the most logical one. To me, Dragonball and Dragonball Z feel like completely seperate series sometimes. While DBZ feels more like a science fiction/action series, with nearly constant action, Dragonball feels like a martial arts comedy, steeped in fantasy with action scenes.

Many of the characters had unique traits that aren't explained. Goku wasn't a saiya-jin, he was just a super-powered kid with a tail! Their were shape-shifting pigs and cat-like creatures, dinosaurs, and talking animals that, apparently, ruled parts of the world. Tenshinhan had a third eye, Kuririn didn't have a nose, Piccolo was the spawn of a demon king, and Chaozu is... what? A living doll or something?

So it's true, Krillin doesn't have a nose. The nose in the picture was probably drawn without thinking. Sometimes when you care about something as much as DBZ, you just have to let the little slips slide.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 am

Flashdude has the right idea really. XD It's a work of fiction, and with works of fiction you sometimes just have to accept things for what they are.